I HATE CYCLISTS!

tellitlikeitis

Dec 1, 2010
get off your cycle and run , stop hogging the road..

Some guy asked me who was in better shape someone who only cycles or someone who only runs. And which was harder.

I told him to go ask a couch potatoe to cycle for 3 miles and see if they could do it (sure they can), now ask them to run 1 mile and see can they do it....(nope)

case closed

Originally Posted by tellitlikeitis .

get off your cycle and run , stop hogging the road..

Some guy asked me who was in better shape someone who only cycles or someone who only runs. And which was harder.

I told him to go ask a couch potatoe to cycle for 3 miles and see if they could do it (sure they can), now ask them to run 1 mile and see can they do it....(nope)

case closed

Thanks for sharing this. Moderators please move this to the jokes forum this is hilarious.

Uh, yeah, cycling is more efficient than jogging, we know that. This is to do with the fact that you are seated and you can use the gears to your advantage. What you aren't thinking about is, when on a bike no matter how strong and healthy you are, there's always a higher gear that can exhaust you. With jogging, after your body weight is as low as possible, and your legs are strong enough to carry the weight with ease, all that's left is how fast you can move those legs and for how long. Giving yourself more brute force strength in your legs does nothing and would just require more energy to sustain that muscle mass. On a bike it's all about that strength, and the stronger you are the faster you can go (I know heart and lungs are important, but that's the common factor in both these activities so no point discussing). This is why I think professional cyclists are the healthiest athletes in the world, because they are attached to these machines where there really is no limit. I mean you could put a terminator robot on a bike, and with the right gears and high strength material, he will be a motorcycle. Put a terminator in some running shoes and he can go as fast as the ground traction allows him to before he starts slipping. There is no limit, so a professional cyclist can never settle for what strength he has, there is always strength to be gained, and if you don't work for that, the next guy who does will always win.

But what i said is true the average couch potatoe could cycle a few miles easily but couldnt run a mile do you not agree with this?

Then why do fighters probably some of the best athletes in the world mma, boxing,,, run instead of bike? hmmm?

But what i said is true the average couch potatoe could cycle a few miles easily but couldnt run a mile do you not agree with this?
It all depends what gears they use, but yes cycling is a great way for someone out of shape to ease their way into becoming healthy.

Then why do fighters probably some of the best athletes in the world mma, boxing,,, run instead of bike? hmmm?
I really don't get where you are going with all of this. You hate cyclists... because a boxer prefers to jog around the block rather than ride a bicycle? And by the way, fighters are not the best athletes in the world, and I'm not saying that just for the sake of arguing, it's a different sport. Fighting is not about being the most powerful athlete, it's about being the most powerful fighter. Build up muscle and fat to protect the body from hard impacts, and build up the muscle needed to deal out quick and hard strikes on the opponent, and then most importantly, build the technique and skill to allow you to exploit your opponent more than he exploits you. Cycling is about building your body up to output constant power for a long period of time.
Do you really think a fighter can compete with people like this? :)

The best athletes in the world hang around here with us fat cyclist. They are Triathletes. I would love to see a boxer keep up with them.

I really just don't see the point of this argument. By the way, the next time I am on my bike and I pass you running I will hit you in the head with my bike pump. There, that makes as much sense as your whole posting.

A boxer wouldnt have to he would just knock them out.. Cyclist got good cardio but thats all most of them are, but its the same with most runners.

What good is benching 400 if you cant jog a mile without gassing out?

What good is cycling or running a marathon if you are weak as a bird...?

Ill take a inbetween stance of strength and cardio. :)

Diet, cardio and strength training.

How many people can run a marathon or half a marathon and bench over 300 lbs?

All cyclist i seen look pretty fragile .....most runners do too :)

I still say if you have someone who cycles 7 hours a week and someone who jogs 7 hours a week the jogger would probably be in better shape.
And cycling is easier on the body and easier in general for someone who is out of shape to get into than straight running.

PS joel you grapple with somebody for a 5 minute round. And go gung ho on your bike for 5 minutes and tell me which requires more conditioning.

Hey, welcome to the forum.

I suggest you link up with one the members here - RoadHouse - and stroke yourselves with your own thread about your superior intellect and being among the few to have all the answers of life. But please, find a better place to converse than the Cycling Forums ... this place is beneath you. Trust me.

... shoo little fly.

The average couch potato couldn't make it up 30 feet of the terrain that I ride. It's all relative. Case closed!

Originally Posted by JoelTGM .

Quote: Originally Posted by tellitlikeitis .

It all depends what gears they use, but yes cycling is a great way for someone out of shape to ease their way into becoming healthy.

I really don't get where you are going with all of this. You hate cyclists... because a boxer prefers to jog around the block rather than ride a bicycle? And by the way, fighters are not the best athletes in the world, and I'm not saying that just for the sake of arguing, it's a different sport. Fighting is not about being the most powerful athlete, it's about being the most powerful fighter. Build up muscle and fat to protect the body from hard impacts, and build up the muscle needed to deal out quick and hard strikes on the opponent, and then most importantly, build the technique and skill to allow you to exploit your opponent more than he exploits you. Cycling is about building your body up to output constant power for a long period of time.

Don't feed the animals...don't wrestle with the pigs. They enjoy it and you get dirty.

Originally Posted by Peter@vecchios .

Quote: Originally Posted by JoelTGM .

Quote: Originally Posted by tellitlikeitis .

Don't feed the animals...don't wrestle with the pigs. They enjoy it and you get dirty.

Can't help it pork may not be healthy but I like the smell of bacon frying.

Reactions: SierraSlim
[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]Isn't the smell of bacon irrisistible, Huskey? For me it is, lol. At the risk of burning the bacon, I have to add this.[/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px] [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px] [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Tellitlikeitis,[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Your thinking and arguments are so convoluted that most of us are not even sure exactly what your objection IS to cyclists. You proffer that some guy asked you who was in better shape, someone who only cycles or only runs. And which was harder. If that's your question, consider this: Running may be harder than LEISURELY cycling, which is what a lot of people do. But since running isn't leisurely activity, you can't intelligently compare it to leisurely cycling. If you compare equal levels of exertion, maximum-intensity running to maximum-intensity cycling, the scenario changes. I'd like to see a runner, even a professional, Olympian-level athlete, RUN the Tour de France. [/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Your argument fails sadly. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Running IS harder, in one way. It's harder on your knees and ankles, where most runners will develop severe degenerative problems that leave it impossible to continue. My supervisor has been running 5-10 miles daily for most of her life. At 50-something, her doctor just told her she had to quit, because she was ruining her knees. You know what he told to do instead?.... Cycling! He said she would get the same cardiovascular benefit without the joint devastation. Interesting, I think.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px] [/COLOR][COLOR= #0000ff] [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]When you're backed into a corner and can't prove your point, you use the change-the-subject-and-distract-the-opposer technique by bringing up ruminations about whether being able to jog a mile is any good if you can't bench 400, whether cycling or running is any good if you're weak as a bird, and how many people can run a marathon and still bench 300 lbs -- then point out that both runners and cyclists 'look pretty fragile.' Somewhere in this miasma of misdirection there may be a pertinent issue, though it's impossible to find. If you're saying that both cyclists and runners should do cross-training to make sure they have upper body strength, as well, I doubt that anyone on this forum would argue with that, even to fry bacon. So we agree. I think. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Then you go back to the original issue with: I still say if you have someone who cycles 7 hours a week and someone who jogs 7 hours a week the jogger would probably be in better shape. Unfortunately, for people trying to prove the unproveable, saying something doesn't make it so. Cardiovascularly, a die-hard cyclist and a die-hard runner would be about equal in respiratory strength and durability, according to the physicians I work with. Both groups would have awesome leg muscles and good cardiac strength. But no runner could run the Tour de France. Hmmm... Maybe you should change your user name to tellitlikeITHINKitis. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]I suspect that your real issue with cyclists is summed up in your first sentence: "stop hogging the road." Since roads are easily wide enough for runners and cyclists to share, one can only presume that a cyclist dared to 'hog your road' while you were driving. Poor baby, did you actually have to slow down and allow a cyclist to ride on part of the concrete you so obviously own? Did it take you longer to roll through a stop sign because a cyclist with the right of way crossed in front of you? Are you outraged that you can't just gun it and make a cyclist get out of your way without possibly scratching the new pickup Daddy bought for you, the way you like to make pedestrians jump out of your way who have the audacity not to be running? I'm so sorry that we've messed up your world! I'm sure that now, thanks to your illuminating postulations of brilliance, all of us will leap off our cycles and look forward to ruining our knees by running so that we can 'hog' less of your road. Thank you for opening our eyes to how misguided we've been! [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]And by the way -- there's no 'e' at the end of potato. Unless it's plural.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Sierra[/COLOR][/SIZE]

As someone whom both rides and runs, neither seemingly is harder or less stringent on the body depending on how hard I go although on average I'd say from my own experience that running is much more of a total body effort and result. Put gradient into that and it's still running. True, while some might not be able to run a Tour De France, cyclists for some reason can still walk and talk after busting the final sprint open after an already 100 mile cruise per stage. One 26.2 mile full marathon and people drop dead.

Take competitive runner and put him into a 1/2/3 criterium. Watch as he is shot out the back within the first lap out of 30-40 and lapped within 3-5 laps.
Now take a competitive cyclist and throw him into a 10k running race. Watch as he holds his own and finishes in a respectable time.
I very rarely run. Pretty much only on days that I don't have enough time to get a decent workout done on the bike, and I have no problem keeping up with my friends who run on a regular basis and compete in 5k and 10k races.
While cycling may be easier for a couch potato to pick up since he can throw the bike into a nice easy gear and start pedaling, it takes a much higher level of fitness to compete at a decent level. How many runners do you know of that have the core strength and leg power to accelerate a bike to 40+ mph? Probably not many, if any.

Of course runners and cyclists alike have nothing on swimmers and triathletes. Those guys are just beasts...

Lance Armstrong competed and did very well in two New York Marathons which would confirm that a cylists can run but he was a pro triathlete first and foremost. I'd say it's a personal thing as to whom really can do what and when.

I wouldn't say that triahtletes are beasts, more pro cyclists have gone into the Ironman and done very well than have triathetes gone into pro cycling and done anything at all.

You won't see a triathlete put out 900 watts of leg power like you do Contador and Andy Shcleck.
but I doubt that either of those two could finish within reasonable professional times of runners in a full marathon. Lungs as well as optimal muscle (groups) are trained entirely differently.

Triathletes for the most part are trained for speed, not power. I can't say too much on runners but I find it more invigorating and 10 times as difficult as riding a bike. I have found that running 10 miles is harder than riding 100 and the results, cardio especially, benefits much, much more. My legs after a century are dead whereas it's my lungs on run.

Just my own two cents, not saying I know about every one's physical make up.