if lance didn't ride a trek?

Trek are fine bikes. The question is - now that Lance is not competing, will other US bikers perform very well? If not, Trek will suffer in sales...

frenchcycling said:
if lance and the discovery team didn't ride trek bikes, would anyone buy their road bikes simply on quality?
if lance didnt ride a trek, they would be a couple g's cheaper. i'm sure their frame quality is pretty good, but for the price, i'd be looking at something else.

996vtwin said:
Ok really this is how it is. Have you ever seen sheep in a herd grzing in a pasture? All the sheep look the same, in my group of 50 riders 35 of them ride Treks. Some are blue some are red but all are ugly and COMMON! I dont give a **** what I ride but make no mistake half of the peleton will NOT be riding my exact bike. I feel great and original not only with bikes but withe everthing in life. If you feel good being just another white sheep in the herd well kudos for all of you.

You obviously do give a sh*t if you wanted to tell us all that your bike costs 7 grand.

Nah, sorry, I'm not a sheep. You make it seem like the bike is what defines you, sorry, it doesn't. You should tell all your 35 fellows group riders what you think of them.

If that's the case that the bike does 'define you', *Trek bikes are sturdy, reliable, will respond to whatever you 'throw at them' and will last.* I know my Trek will always be there for me." So, yes, now, applying it to me. I'm a 'sturdy,reliable, and will respond to whatever stressor is thrown at me' type of rider that will still be there at the end of the day.

If you want to define people by the 'paint job' on the bike, you need to get something checked. Get off your supposed 'high throne' and be glad there are fellow guys passionate about the sport you are supposedly interested in.

jhuskey said:
ONE MORE TIME FOR THOSE THAT CAN READ. TREK WAS THE LARGEST SELLING BIKE IN THE US IN 1984. LANCE WAS STILL CRAPPING YELLOW POTTY THEN.
Would that be "merde jaune," then? Must have been a promise of things to come.

Berend

squidwranglr said:
Would that be "merde jaune," then? Must have been a promise of things to come.

Berend

You may have a point. What makes Lance so good. Yellow ****....could be, could be.
He's not doping he just has a higher quality of dung than the rest of us.
The people at Trek are not better either but they obviously know their ****.

TrekDedicated said:
You obviously do give a sh*t if you wanted to tell us all that your bike costs 7 grand.

Nah, sorry, I'm not a sheep. You make it seem like the bike is what defines you, sorry, it doesn't. You should tell all your 35 fellows group riders what you think of them.

If that's the case that the bike does 'define you', *Trek bikes are sturdy, reliable, will respond to whatever you 'throw at them' and will last.* I know my Trek will always be there for me." So, yes, now, applying it to me. I'm a 'sturdy,reliable, and will respond to whatever stressor is thrown at me' type of rider that will still be there at the end of the day.

If you want to define people by the 'paint job' on the bike, you need to get something checked. Get off your supposed 'high throne' and be glad there are fellow guys passionate about the sport you are supposedly interested in.
I am unique and artistic, passionate and flavourful. You are well....sheep. You are dry bread and so is your taste for life and art. Trek is dry bread my friend, you are obviously lacking in flavour. You are all things mass produced and economic, I am creative and beautiful with an eye for art. If you think Trek is art...well go buy a project one. Americans, besides the Ti market are incapable of producing art. That is why my friend the Italians had the finest artist in the world and the American have Fried Chicken;)

996vtwin said:
I am unique and artistic, passionate and flavourful. You are well....sheep. You are dry bread and so is your taste for life and art. Trek is dry bread my friend, you are obviously lacking in flavour. You are all things mass produced and economic, I am creative and beautiful with an eye for art. If you think Trek is art...well go buy a project one. Americans, besides the Ti market are incapable of producing art. That is why my friend the Italians had the finest artist in the world and the American have Fried Chicken;)
I hope you're joking because that is one of the weirdest paragraphs I have ever read...:confused:

996vtwin said:
Been out of the country with no internet for a week and I see that this thread is still up.

Finally someone that agrees with me on the fact that Trek bikes are ugly bikes. They just aren't sexy. I also agree with the herd of sheep you mentioned above. I'm sick of seeing sooooooooooo many trek postal bikes out there. (yeah I didn't say discovery for a reason)

And the Trek bikes people buy at the shop are different than those the pro team rides. The SSL is too light for them, the disco team had to put boron within the bottom bracket to stiffen them up. And if you notice, they don't ride the nasty bontrager race *** lite carbon bar and stem, they ride aluminum deda.

StartTday said:
Here is my opinion...
Before Lance won his first Tour, no one really cared about cycling. The main thing was mountain biking, that was the huge bicycling trend of that time. If it didn't have front shocks, no one wanted it.
I don't know where that was coming from, but Trek has been making quality road bikes since the late 70s. Then around 1987 Trek introduce its first heat-treated oversize-tubed aluminum frames, that were tremendously successful with non-pro enthusiasts. Cannondale and Klein had pioneered this technology in the early 80s, but the Cannondale was stiff and crude-looking, and Kleins were outrageously expensive.

While the success of Lance Armstrong has been especially good for Trek, it's boosted sales of all make of road bikes. More important than sales, though, is that it has gotten more people out riding.

StartTday said:
They just aren't sexy.
Finally, we get to the meat of the argument. I agree. That "fin" behind the seat tube looks dorky and the paint looks industrial.

But the epitome of sex appeal will aways be a late-70s Masi Gran Criterium -- the way the fork blades start their bend almost at the crown and the radius oh-so-gradually increases as you get to the ends, it almost brings me to tears.

996vtwin said:
Haha all that tripe from a man who rides a Ducati!!!! bwaaaahaaaahaaaaa You are just as much a member of the flock as those 'sheep' who ride Treks. It's just a different flock. You have the most expensive toys, not because they are better but it feeds your massive inferiority complex.

By the way, weren't Armstrongs original "Trek" bikes just rebadged Litespeeds? I'm pretty sure they were.

velofan said:
Haha all that tripe from a man who rides a Ducati!!!! bwaaaahaaaahaaaaa You are just as much a member of the flock as those 'sheep' who ride Treks. It's just a different flock. You have the most expensive toys, not because they are better but it feeds your massive inferiority complex.

By the way, weren't Armstrongs original "Trek" bikes just rebadged Litespeeds? I'm pretty sure they were.
Yes by boy you are right, my flock are from the beautiful Tuscan Valleys and you flock just came off the Conveyer Belt at a Tiawanese sweat shop. My Ducati is also not made in America or Taiwan yep ...its from the place where art was born. ;)

996vtwin said:
Yes by boy you are right, my flock are from the beautiful Tuscan Valleys and you flock just came off the Conveyer Belt at a Tiawanese sweat shop. My Ducati is also not made in America or Taiwan yep ...its from the place where art was born. ;)
ah yes blahdyblahblah

but can you ride the damn thing?

my v-twin that probably cost as much as your clip-ons ;)
http://www.pbase.com/nicholasm/image/34768811

Not to ruin the *****fest here, but I thought I'd post the result of my warranty claim on my 12-year-old, 31,000+ mile OCLV, which had a slight wiggle to the BB shell.

If only Perf would hurry up and ship my headset so I can finish it. :mad:

cydewaze said:
Not to ruin the *****fest here, but I thought I'd post the result of my warranty claim on my 12-year-old, 31,000+ mile OCLV, which had a slight wiggle to the BB shell.

sorry but its ugly!

cydewaze said:

That has to be the best warranty replacement I've ever seen. Good job! I wonder how many other brands back their product that well. I'm sure most only provide lip service ... kind of like some of the BS in this thread, eh? ;)

996vtwin said:
Maybe you should put down that copy of Catcher In The Rye and go out for a ride sometime.

Doctor Morbius said:
That has to be the best warranty replacement I've ever seen. Good job!
Thanks man. As if the replacement wasn't amazing enough in itself, I actually got to pick the color! On top of that, my old bike was one of the original OCLVs, and they've since made a lot of running changes since then. I'm getting OCLV 120 as opposed to the old 150, a new fork (my old EMS fork weighed something like 700 grams) and the BB has been totally redone and should be a bit stiffer.

I would have preferred a matte finish over the gloss, but that was my LBS's fault for not taking down my request properly (they wrote "black" on the ticket, without the "matte" part). Can't complain though. I'll probably get another 12+ years out of it.