In-Line Skating during base period ???

Powderfinger

Feb 11, 2003
Hey guys,

Just wondered if anyone has tried replacing 1-2 cycling workouts with rollerblading during the base period. I haven't skated for a while, but I remember it seemed to help develop strength in the abs, lower back, hamstrings, and glutes, as well as hips.

Since cycling doesn't do much to develop the "core" muscles, I thought skating with some ab work might help.

Do you think it is better to simply log more miles on the bike rather than mix it up? And would skating "count" toward base work, or does base work need to be specifically cycling?

Right now I've got about 500 miles under my belt and am doing 10 -15 miles a day at 14 - 16.5 mph average. My quads are getting stronger and my lungs are lasting longer, but the rest of body feels like a wet noodle.

Powderfinger:

Dude, if you like to ride, ride. The best exercises for core strength are crunches anyhow. Blading will teach you to skate, riding teaches you to ride. Riding hills will do wonders for your fitness.

Keep up the good work!!!

I do a lot of short track speed skating on ice over the winter period, and it's definitely helped me. You get a lot of power from the corners and from having to hold the position for a long time.

Having said that, if you're blading on paths / roads, you'll get more of an aerobic workout and less power. If you're in the right climate, try cross country skiing skating style - that will definitely give you endurance and power!

One downside of skating / XC skiing is that you tend to develop a lot of muscle, and hence gain some weight. Doesn't bother me though.