Increase in power

Today i did 2x20 @ 250-255 watts. First time with two 20s above 250 and it was not that hard. My pulse was never over 165 bpm (Max is 180 bpm). Very happy with My progress the last month. Yesterday I did 4x4 @ 310 watts. Hopefully i will manage 260 in the coming weeks. I have started to eat a sports bar with high protein directly after the trainindn and My recovery seems to be a lot better. Coming weeks I will do more vo2max intervalls to improve my ability to do short climbs.

Great progress! The 2x20 at 250+ is the best sign of your progress. You will definitely see the benefits from more VO2MAX efforts, but I suggest keeping a strong continued focus on the L4 efforts.

New PB with 274 watts over 20 minutes today. I was aiming for 270 but my legs didn't feel fresh during warm upp. Did 200k This weekend last 55k on sunday alone with à strong Headwind, so I guess I need more time to recover. So 274 was suprisingly good. Next goal is 280 in may!

I'm new here... came over from Slowtwitch.. (yikes?)

anyways.. I've been lurking over the past 3 months and thought I'd start adding my results to forum..

Matt: I started a cycling block at 251 for 20 minutes in March.. re-tested last week with 269..

I'm also shooting for 280 by the end of may..

Cheers!
D

super pumped!!! Suppose to be a easy z2 ride tonight... but then a teammate passed me on a climb and I couldn't just let him go!!

Cranked out 290 watts for the 20 minutes!

While others have 290 as their coffee shop pace... this is huge for me and I'm pumped to keep working hard!!

maybe 300 by June 1st?

First 20 minute test outdoors. Manage 284 watts. Still My body didn't feel to good and motivation was a bit low. So I guess 300 watts is in reach. Aiming to do 300 watts in june!

Update on 2013 power focus..

May 22nd TT in Denver...

21:57... 306 watts!!

Next goal is 320 by End of June

Originally Posted by ddalzell .

Update on 2013 power focus..

May 22nd TT in Denver...

21:57... 306 watts!!

Next goal is 320 by End of June
Pretty cool!

just checking in because it keeps me honest and motivated going forward...

20 minute test June 25th= failed... blow up
10 minute power 320

Just moved from West Denver (5400) to Michigan (1000)

my new tempo rides here are all at threshold power according to Denver numbers... exciting and will report back with new 20 min power as soon as wheel (spoke) get fixed.

I don't know if this fits this tread exactly, but, I have found something in my training that I can't explain. I only have a Garmin with a HR strap so I'm limited to HR readings. My MHR is 170 (I'm 56). I have found in the last week or so that when I hit 160bpm on either my road or mt. bike, I am in some sort of "zone" where I feel real comfortable and I feel like I'm putting out some good power. Getting to that point seems like a struggle, beyond that point is a struggle, but that 160 (+/- 2) seems to really do the trick for me. Does anyone else feel or realize this at some point either with HR monitor or power monitors?

Thank you.
BK

this is what most would consider sweetspot training probably...

Do this consistently over time and you will see big gains

this is what most would consider sweetspot training probably...

Do this consistently over time and you will see big gains
This is what I'm hoping for.

Originally Posted by An old Guy .

Most likely your power output has dropped and your heart rate is still climbing from your prior work.
What you say make sense. Unfortunately I don't have a power meter to test it out.

update

not sure how much of this is from lower altitude (denver last month).. and how much is from fitness gains..

July 20 min power test = 330 watts... I'm becoming addicted to seeing this number increase

so.. overall.. from march in Denver @ 251 watts to Michigan in july @ 330 watts..... I love cycling

update

not sure how much of this is from lower altitude (denver last month).. and how much is from fitness gains..

July 20 min power test = 330 watts... I'm becoming addicted to seeing this number increase

so.. overall.. from march in Denver @ 251 watts to Michigan in july @ 330 watts..... I love cycling
Wouldn't your overall speed be increasing as well?

Originally Posted by wbkski .

Wouldn't your overall speed be increasing as well?
Nobody with a powermeter cares about speed unless you're a TTer trying to break a certain figure for a certain distance. And even then you care more about time.

speed for the most part does increase yes.... however, some-days you do get bad conditions or roads..

I like power because I know I'm getting better... even if speed doesn't always show it.