Is road cycling dangerous?

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
Barraga simply spoke the truth.

He did not tell anyone what to do or what not to do.

He simply stated his opinion. Here are his exact words.

"I have lived in West Islip most of my life and my personal feeling is that no one who lives in our hamlet or for that matter in Suffolk County should ever ride a bicycle or a motorcycle."

And...

"Reality at a time can be difficult for some to come to grips with but giving false hope would be inappropriate."

Not everyone views life from over the handlebars. Reality bites and gravity kills.

There are some areas where the roads are so congested and the drivers of such poor quality that I, personally, would not drive there even in an up-armored Humvee. There are many area in my own, rural locale that I advise cyclist against riding in.

Islip...isn't that the place made famous by the figure-eight track that held stock car 'races' with cross traffic? Yeesh!
Yes, road cycling is dangerous, but our legislator displays no interest in attempting to make road cycling less so. Moreover, his off the top of his head statistic that 90% of cyclists are injured by cars is absurd on its face.

Contact the League of American Bicyclists.

http://www.bikeleague.org/

They are the safety lobby for cycling. Have them schedule a meeting with your representatives.

His whole BS of it happens and I dont care is nothing but bs

Oh and Campy he did tell people what to do.

It states the following.

Mr Cutrone

Thank you for your recent letter concerning bicycle safety and bicycle lanes. Let me at the outset express the hope that your mother will have a complete recovery from her accident in September while riding a bicycle in West Islip.

I have lived in West Islip most of my life and my personal feeling is that no one who lives in our hamlet or for that matter in Suffolk County should ever ride a bicycle or motorcycle.
I cannot tell to how many constituents over the years have told me that they are taking up bicycling for pleasure and exercise. I have told them not to do so but they usually do not listen - 90 percent of those people eventually were hit by an automobile many like your mother with serious physical injuries.

I have heard the suggestions of bicycle lanes and additional signage but unfortunately this would do little to solve the problem. Suffolk County is a suburban automobile community- drivers expect to see other drivers on the road not bicyclists and motorcyclists. Even those areas outside of Suffolk County where a portion of the road is for bicyclists - they still get hit by motorists. Signage has limited effects - there are currently 135 signs between Montauk Highway and Sunrise Highway on Higble Lane and Udall Road - Most of them are ignored by drivers.

Reality at time can be difficult for some to come to grips with but giving false hope would be inappropriate.

Very Truly Yours
Thomas F Barraga
County Legislator

He expressed his opinion, as prefaced with his "my personal opinion" clarification.

Dan's words, that I reacted to, were this:

"...a politician who's party is supposedly founded on the freedom of the individual to do what they will, is comfortable "telling" people what to do."

Clearly, in no official role did he tell people what to do. He offered his opinion. His advice. He clearly states that his advice is most often ignored.

They people are still 'free' to do what they want, just as he is 'free' to offer his take on cycling in what he considers a dangerous activity in a in a dangerous area. His advice affects no one's freedom or their ability to legally ride on that stretch of road.

I am completely comfortable with Mr. Barraga 'telling' his constituents that cycling in his district is dangerous. I'm completely comfortable with people that speak the truth.

Mr. Barraga at least gives the appearance of caring. He took the time to write a very personal letter to Mr. Cutrone and expressed his wish that the mother completely recover from her injuries. Sounds legit.

Yeah, I lived there for 5 years. Tell me about it.

You want to know a true 90% figure? NY has had a no-handheld cell use law on the books for over 10 years now. 90% of the people ignore it.

5% of the drivers know how to merge onto a highway. Yield signs are looked on as a polite suggestion. They use stop signs a lot solely for speed control, and people get in the habit of ignoring them.

You have to get out into the boonies, east of Smithtown, to find roads that are "relatively" safe for riding. Long Island has the worst drivers of any place that I ever lived----and I currently live in effing Massachusetts. Masshole Cenrtal.

Originally Posted by mpre53
Long Island has the worst drivers of any place that I ever lived----and I currently live in effing Massachusetts. Masshole Cenrtal.
It's a good thing you never lived and/or ridden a bicycle or motorcycle in Crown Heights or Midwood, Brooklyn. You'd be whistling a different tune.

I agree though, East Suffolk is an awesome place to ride either aforementioned 2-wheel vehicle.

No...Just friggin NO! No way would I ride anything less than an MRAP there!

I looked at the County and there is no hope for humanity there!

I'm guessing there is 'safe' roads somewhere in that area, but all I could think of was Ebola spreading from one end to the other in like 20 minutes! Traffic has got to make Collin's training rides look like an uninhabited planet.

Abandon hope all yee who enter Suffolk!

Dunno. Never been. It looks like she was killed in Ground Zero for PP/Sq. Mile. Maybe out in the Hamptons it's a bit greener...?

Even then, it looks like one more or less contiguous city from one end of that place to the other. And are these the New Yorkers that all own cars and drive? I have a friend in Port Jeff and he's always told me the traffic is insane.

We have a lot of cyclists killed in the rural areas of Ohio, too. Not much screaming for new signage, bike lanes or extra LEO enforcement, but we do scream for revenge.

He did tell them what to do according to his own account. "I have told them not to", not "I cautioned against it". That he thought it was in their best interest is mostly irrelevant.

Originally Posted by danfoz

I don't know which I find harder to stomach: the "fact" that 90% of the people he told not to take up bicycling got hit by a car (yeah right), or that a politician who's party is supposedly founded on the freedom of the individual to do what they will, is comfortable "telling" people what to do. Douche.

whose is possessive.
who's is a contraction.
Possessive pronouns usually lack apostrophee: ours, its, yours, theirs, hers.

Originally Posted by mpre53
Yeah, I lived there for 5 years. Tell me about it.

You want to know a true 90% figure? NY has had a no-handheld cell use law on the books for over 10 years now. 90% of the people ignore it.

5% of the drivers know how to merge onto a highway. Yield signs are looked on as a polite suggestion. They use stop signs a lot solely for speed control, and people get in the habit of ignoring them.

You have to get out into the boonies, east of Smithtown, to find roads that are "relatively" safe for riding. Long Island has the worst drivers of any place that I ever lived----and I currently live in effing Massachusetts. Masshole Cenrtal.
I think that you can ride safely along the whole North Shore while using extreme caution and staying off heavly traveled roads.

Originally Posted by urge2kill
He did tell them what to do according to his own account. "I have told them not to", not "I cautioned against it". That he thought it was in their best interest is mostly irrelevant.

whose is possessive.
who's is a contraction.
Possessive pronouns usually lack apostrophee: ours, its, yours, theirs, hers.
And I thought I was a pedant! Also, the sentence "the freedom of the individual to do what they will, is comfortable "telling" people what to do" has the plural personal pronoun "they" referring to a singular antecedent, "individual." But, urge2kill, I would ignore these grammatical ****les.

I see no problem with their usage of they.

Quote Dictionary.com - They: Long before the use of generic HE was condemned as sexist, the pronouns THEY, THEIR, and THEM were used in educated speech and in all but the most formal writing to refer to indefinite pronouns and to singular nouns of general personal reference, probably because such nouns are often not felt to be exclusively singular: If anyone calls, tell them I'll be back at six. Everyone began looking for their books at once. Such use is not a recent development, nor is it a mark of ignorance.

You're the one ****ling danfoz!

I didn't mean to make too much of it, but a plural personal pronoun coupled with a singular referent always sounds ungrammatical to me. The fact that it has currency as conventional usage does not mitigate the disagreement. I am be a minority of one in this, but so be it.

hyperliterate said:
I didn't mean to make too much of it, but a plural personal pronoun coupled with a singular referent always sounds ungrammatical to me.  The fact that it has currency as conventional usage does not mitigate the disagreement.  I am be a minority of one in this, but so be it.    
" I am be a minority of one in this" Say what?

Here are excerpts of Sufflolk County Executive Steve Bellone's regarding Barraga's remarks on cycling:

"Bikers, runners and motorcyclists are welcome in Suffolk," Bellone said. "These are important activities, for health, for tourism and for the county's economic development."

"He may have put it indelicately, but we do have a challenge in making roads, and not just in Suffolk but in suburbs around the nation, safe for alternative methods of transportation,"

Consequently, according to Newsday, Long Islands local paper, "Suffolk, Nassau and eight other Long Island communities have signed on to a so-called Safe Streets initiative.
The idea is to make roadways more inclusive, that is, make them safe for drivers, bicyclists, runners, skaters, pedestrians and riders waiting for buses alongside the road."
It appears, then, that something good for cyclists may come of this.

Quote by hyper:
"Consequently, according to Newsday, Long Islands local paper, "Suffolk, Nassau and eight other Long Island communities have signed on to a so-called Safe Streets initiative."

I spit coffee thru my nose! You owe me a free screen cleaning!

This will fail as hard as the SAFE Act regarding firearms. NY is the East Coast Failboat.