lance armstrong shows what a class guy he is

"Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> > > Oh? We were talking about non-athletes making a lot of money.
> > >
> > > And I think that Edgar fits that category very well, don't you?
> >
> > If his job is that easy, why don't you take it from him? He likely earns millions of $$$/year
> > more than you do, so it would be worth your while.
>
> I'm not a professional baseball player.

but if a "non-athlete" can make it than surely a fit cyclist can ... imagine the money you could
make coming in as a rookie and hitting say 400!!

> > It is a performance based occupation, so if you really are better, then
> his
> > job will be yours.
>
> You are assuming that I am a better baseball player than Edgar? <G>

and how is Edgar not an athlete?? Are all baseball players not athletes or just Edgar?? Does hitting
a 90mph fast ball out of the park or chucking a ball from center field to home plate and accurately
hit your target require NO athletic skill?? He has the reflexes to hit 300 ... if his physical
abilities cannot justify his salary than how about his "draw"?? Is he part of the reason people are
paying big bucks to fill the stands?? If in fact he does neither than the "contract" he negotiated
was good since it was not performance based and not based on injury ... you seem mad that this will
NEVER be the case in cycling ... at least here not in the USA!!

> "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> >
> > I guess that Peyote is your drug of choice then?
>
> Never tried it. How is it?

It's very popular with the ex-born again Christians that were fed up with not being able to see
their God.

http://www.erowid.org/plants/peyote/peyote_faq.shtml

"Peyote is a native of the Chihuahan Desert, specifically, portions of the Rio Grande Valley in
Southern Texas, and south as far as the state of San Luis Potosi in Mexico. Peyote has been an item
of commerce for a very long time. Most recently (just over 100 years) it has been commercially
harvested in the state of Texas, though its sale is now restricted by law to members of the Native
American Church (NAC). (It is estimated that the NAC has at least 250,000 members.) The annual
harvest of individual plants, or buttons, is in the millions. When properly harvested, several new
heads tend to form from the old root, thereby generating new plants for the future. Unfortunately,
plants are often cut deeply, leaving little or no root remaining in the ground.

In addition to commercial harvesting, large sections of the "peyote gardens" of Texas are uprooted
for new grazing land with much of the small, slow growing cacti such as peyote, being destroyed as
a result. Consequently, the regions where peyote may be found have greatly diminished. Areas where
peyote once flourished in commercially harvestable quantities are now very often lacking this
cactus entirely.

Peyote is something of an alkaloid factory, producing upwards of 50 chemically related compounds.
The effects experienced after consuming this unique medicine range from a feeling of physical energy
and well being when taken in small amounts (though this is often preceded by a brief period of
lethargy), to actual visionary experience when larger quantities are consumed. Often, individuals
may experience stomach discomfort or nausea during the first few hours though this is not always the
case. Noticeable
psychic effects usually last 10 hours or so after they begin. Experienced peyotists recognize and
welcome the feeling of the medicine working with them as a spiritual and physical blessing.

The positive, life enhancing benefits of the peyote medicine are probably as diverse as the many
people who have found it to play an extremely important role in their lives."

Dashii

"smiles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:v%[email protected]...

> > > If his job is that easy, why don't you take it from him? He likely
earns
> > > millions of $$$/year more than you do, so it would be worth your
while.

> > I'm not a professional baseball player.
>
> but if a "non-athlete" can make it than surely a fit cyclist can ...
imagine
> the money you could make coming in as a rookie and hitting say 400!!

I'm sure that I could but I really don't need the money.

> > > It is a performance based occupation, so if you really are better,
then
> > his
> > > job will be yours.
> >
> > You are assuming that I am a better baseball player than Edgar? <G>
>
> and how is Edgar not an athlete?? Are all baseball players not athletes or just Edgar?? Does
> hitting a 90mph fast ball out of the park or chucking a ball from center field to home plate and
> accurately hit your target
require
> NO athletic skill??

The last time Edgar tried that he pulled his groin muscle and he had to be carried off of the field.

> He has the reflexes to hit 300 ... if his physical abilities cannot justify his salary than how
> about his "draw"?? Is he part of the reason people are paying big bucks to fill the stands??

He's kinda a permanent fixture at SAFECO field, at times I think he is actually anchored.

> If in fact he does neither than the "contract" he negotiated was good since it was not performance
> based and not based on injury ... you seem mad that this will NEVER be the case in cycling ... at
> least here not in the USA!!

I am quite "mad" but not angry.

Edgar's a good guy, quite popular, Seattle is the only team that he has ever played for and it's
time for him to retire.

Don't want to see him end up like Elroy Smitz, do we?

Dashii

smiles wrote:
> "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>A good example of a non-althlete is Edgar Martinez of the Seattle
>
> Mariners,
>
>>he's their DH, makes 4 million a year, is out with an injury several times

>>year, has no job other than to try to hit 3 or 4 times a game.
>>
>>He is usually thrown out going to first base, can't be expected to steal
>
> or
>
>>score unless someone makes an error or hits a home run.
>>
>>He is batting 300 and is adored by the sport's press and public!
>

> Yea ... he's a joke ... thousands are lined up to take his place. If that was the case he would
> NOT make the bucks he does. I hate baseball .. use to love the sport, but the trauma (snic) two
> years of little league caused, it went from tops to bottoms ... racing motorcycles and riding
> bicycles became more fun ... with that said, these guys don't get the big bucks by fate or
> something else, they have a gift, similar to Lances, only they are in a sport where the Nazon's
> and Hary's can make the big bucks.
>
> I know some racers who still live at home and train like hell ... it's not easy to make it doing
> this. But just because someone of similar athletic ability for the sport they are in can make the
> bucks does not make it bad or unfair ... just need to realize cycling is not a big buck adventure.
> Once you see kids racing in MASS number you will never see the bucks.
>
> A hero to an adult is not as big a deal as a hero to the kids. I talked with DMC this week ...
> first time I ever had, no big deal, my kid though it was the bomb. If I talked with Lance ... same
> basic thing ... no biggie to me, but my kid would not care. The sport cannot get the exposure
> required to make money ...

[snip]

Consider for a moment what it would take for the sport to go mainstream in the US. Then consider
whether the character of european cycling, some of us enjoy, would survive. With the loss of
iBanesto and ONCE as sponsors, which were rich and long participants, how strong is cycling going to
continue in Spain? [there's another thread exploring the Real Madrid rumors] Were the likes of Al
Davis or George Steinbrenner to get behind cycling in the US, I shudder to think.

"Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> http://www.erowid.org/plants/peyote/peyote_faq.shtml
>
> "Peyote is a native of the Chihuahan Desert, specifically, portions of the Rio Grande Valley in
> Southern Texas, and south as far as the state of San Luis Potosi in Mexico. Peyote has been an
> item of commerce for a very long time. Most recently (just over 100 years) it has been
> commercially
harvested
> in the state of Texas, though its sale is now restricted by law to members of the Native American
> Church (NAC). (It is estimated that the NAC has at least 250,000 members.) The annual harvest of
> individual plants, or
buttons,
> is in the millions. When properly harvested, several new heads tend to
form
> from the old root, thereby generating new plants for the future. Unfortunately, plants are often
> cut deeply, leaving little or no root remaining in the ground.
>
> In addition to commercial harvesting, large sections of the "peyote
gardens"
> of Texas are uprooted for new grazing land with much of the small, slow growing cacti such as
> peyote, being destroyed as a result. Consequently,
the
> regions where peyote may be found have greatly diminished. Areas where peyote once flourished in
> commercially harvestable quantities are now very often lacking this cactus entirely.
>
> Peyote is something of an alkaloid factory, producing upwards of 50 chemically related compounds.
> The effects experienced after consuming this unique medicine range from a feeling of physical
> energy and well being
when
> taken in small amounts (though this is often preceded by a brief period of lethargy), to actual
> visionary experience when larger quantities are consumed. Often, individuals may experience
> stomach discomfort or nausea during the first few hours though this is not always the case.
> Noticeable
> psychic effects usually last 10 hours or so after they begin. Experienced peyotists recognize and
> welcome the feeling of the medicine working with them as a spiritual and physical blessing.
>
> The positive, life enhancing benefits of the peyote medicine are probably
as
> diverse as the many people who have found it to play an extremely
important
> role in their lives."

Sounds like fun. I'm joining the NAC.