LED valve caps

Michael Klontzas

Guest
I've been thinking about getting a couple of those naff LED valve caps
but I don't like throwing away batteries. Has anyone come across a
rechargeable batteries variety?

--
Michael Klontzas
'If everything seems to be coming your way,

In message <[email protected]>
Michael Klontzas <[email protected]> wrote:

> I've been thinking about getting a couple of those naff LED valve caps
> but I don't like throwing away batteries. Has anyone come across a
> rechargeable batteries variety?

I bought a pair in about about Feb this year, only using one of the two,
it is still on the third set of supplied batteries. Thats a 90min
round trip, five days a week, for three months per battery set.
((3/2)*5*13)=100 hours.

I have not seen rechargables small enough for a tyre fly.
(remember this is on the rim of the wheel, where you want as little
weight as possible.

Martin.

--
Typed by monkey #27662472869676 on typewriter #7552416572242
When emailing me, please include the word Banana in the subject line.

In article <4f3349c74d%[email protected]>, Martin Dann wrote:

>I have not seen rechargables small enough for a tyre fly.
>(remember this is on the rim of the wheel, where you want as little
>weight as possible.

Anyone using a tyrefly at all clearly isn't obsessing about weight.
You might want a balancing weight clamped to the spokes on the opposite
side of the wheel if the tyrefly was too heavy though.

In article <4f3349c74d%[email protected]>, Martin Dann wrote:

>I have not seen rechargables small enough for a tyre fly.
>(remember this is on the rim of the wheel, where you want as little
>weight as possible.

Anyone using a tyrefly at all clearly isn't obsessing about weight.
You might want a balancing weight clamped to the spokes on the opposite
side of the wheel if the tyrefly was too heavy though.

My grandson gave me a pair last Christmas which I fitted just one on the
front wheel. However the batteries didn't survive long when I did my 3000 km
cycle/camp down and up the Danube this year!
But in all honesty they aren't very effective since they only get seen from
the side!

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
news:[email protected]...

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005, Martin Dann <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have not seen rechargables small enough for a tyre fly.

Good source of small rechargeable cells:

Buy rechargeable PP-whatever (the rectangular 9V one with press-studs
on the top). Cut open and extract 6 handy very small cells.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Pinky wrote:
> My grandson gave me a pair last Christmas which I fitted just one on the
> front wheel. However the batteries didn't survive long when I did my 3000 km
> cycle/camp down and up the Danube this year!
> But in all honesty they aren't very effective since they only get seen from
> the side!

Have you seen them on someone else's bike? I have, and I was greatly
surprised at how effective they were. Obviously you won't see them if
you're directly behind, but you don't have to be at much of an angle
from there to see them.

I'd already stopped using them by then, partly because, like you, I
didn't think they were terribly effective, but mostly because gluing a
presta valve cap into the fixing hole didn't hold them as well as I'd
hoped. They lasted for a few weeks before I lost one.

Following the recent thread about presta-schraeder valve adapters (it
had never occurred to me that such a thing might exist), I've ordered a
couple from Wiggle. When they arrive, I'll start using the Tyreflies
again through the winter.

--
Danny Colyer (my reply address is valid but checked infrequently)
<URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/>

"Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Pinky wrote:
>> My grandson gave me a pair last Christmas which I fitted just one on the
>> front wheel. However the batteries didn't survive long when I did my 3000
>> km cycle/camp down and up the Danube this year!
>> But in all honesty they aren't very effective since they only get seen
>> from the side!

> Have you seen them on someone else's bike? I have, and I was greatly
> surprised at how effective they were. Obviously you won't see them if
> you're directly behind, but you don't have to be at much of an angle from
> there to see them.
>
> I'd already stopped using them by then, partly because, like you, I didn't
> think they were terribly effective, but mostly because gluing a presta
> valve cap into the fixing hole didn't hold them as well as I'd hoped.
> They lasted for a few weeks before I lost one.
>
> Following the recent thread about presta-schraeder valve adapters (it had
> never occurred to me that such a thing might exist), I've ordered a couple
> from Wiggle. When they arrive, I'll start using the Tyreflies again
> through the winter.
>
> --
> Danny Colyer (my reply address is valid but checked infrequently)
> <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/>
> Subscribe to PlusNet <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/>
> "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine

Yes that makes sense I suppose. By the way I just used some insulating tape
to fix it to a spoke since it didn't fit the presta valve. I shall have to
look for some batteries for the winter then. Anything a bit unusual for
increased visibility.
The best gift I got from my grandson was a Halfords "bulb horn" -- so much
better than a bell cos altho' people tend to laugh and the yobs ridicule --
the great thing is that I get seen by pedestrians!
--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

I wrote:
>>Have you seen them on someone else's bike? I have, and I was greatly
>>surprised at how effective they were. Obviously you won't see them if
>>you're directly behind, but you don't have to be at much of an angle from
>>there to see them.

and Pinky responded:
> Yes that makes sense I suppose. By the way I just used some insulating tape
> to fix it to a spoke since it didn't fit the presta valve.

I bought a little gubbins from unicycle.com [1] last year, similar to a
Tyrefly but rather than being motion sensitive it's turned on manually
by twisting the cap. It has a loop to allow it to be worn like a
pendant, or a clip to allow it to be clipped onto a spoke.

I originally planned to hang it from the drawstring of a Parrot MPH (a
fleece hat), but that turned out to be pointless because the light just
ended up hanging next to the light on the top of my seat. I decided
clipping it to a spoke wouldn't be secure enough, so I gaffer taped it
on. Inevitably the spoke eventually worked its way through the gaffer
tape, though. And I found that I couldn't be arsed to turn it on every
evening, the Tyreflies have a definite advantage there.

> I shall have to
> look for some batteries for the winter then.

I haven't looked at batteries yet, but I shouldn't be at all surprised
to find that it's cheaper just to buy a new set of Tyreflies
(particularly since, IIRC, they come with a spare set of batteries).

> The best gift I got from my grandson was a Halfords "bulb horn" -- so much
> better than a bell cos altho' people tend to laugh and the yobs ridicule --
> the great thing is that I get seen by pedestrians!

A chap I often ride with on the evening commute feels the same way about
his bulb horn. It's at least partly because of him that I fitted one to
my Coker. It's mounted to the seatpost and points backwards, so I have
to reach between my legs to use it.

[1] I'd post a link, but I've never actually been able to find the item
on the website. I picked it up from the unicycle.com stall at a unimeet.

--
Danny Colyer (my reply address is valid but checked infrequently)
<URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/>
Subscribe to PlusNet <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/>

If you like this sort of thing, how about reflective tape on the rims?
About 4 to 10 pieces in between adjacent spokes (facing the hub) creates a
wicked flashing effect to motorists behind, at a slight-to-quite-great
angle. I hope it doesn't drive them too mad!

~PB

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 01:27:23 -0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
> If you like this sort of thing, how about reflective tape on the rims?
> About 4 to 10 pieces in between adjacent spokes (facing the hub) creates a
> wicked flashing effect to motorists behind, at a slight-to-quite-great
> angle.

My rear rim gets so dirty, I doubt this would work for long.

>I hope it doesn't drive them too mad!

I was thinking Tireflies might be too annoying for others at times. Well,
we'll find out soon I suppose.

--

Michael Klontzas wrote:

>> If you like this sort of thing, how about reflective tape on the
>> rims? About 4 to 10 pieces in between adjacent spokes (facing the
>> hub) creates a wicked flashing effect to motorists behind, at a
>> slight-to-quite-great angle.

> My rear rim gets so dirty, I doubt this would work for long.

Depends how much tape you use :) ...There will still be some good effect
as long as it's not /completely/ covered in muck. The plastic-covered
type easily wipes clean anyway. The front rim is visable from the rear
too: driver only needs to be slightly off to one side.

>> I hope it doesn't drive them too mad!

> I was thinking Tireflies might be too annoying for others at times.
> Well, we'll find out soon I suppose.

I don't know, it's a bit hard to know exactly what they're bibbing about
;-)

~PB

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 03:03:31 -0000, Pete Biggs wrote:

> Michael Klontzas wrote:
>> My rear rim gets so dirty, I doubt this would work for long.

> Depends how much tape you use :) ...There will still be some good effect
> as long as it's not /completely/ covered in muck. The plastic-covered
> type easily wipes clean anyway. The front rim is visable from the rear
> too: driver only needs to be slightly off to one side.

I like this low-tech idea. I'll give it a try. The front rim gets a lot
less dirty for some reason I could never really explain. It has the added
advantage of steering, which should make it more visible from
almost-directly-behind. Thanks.

Off to get some tape now. Any pointers pls?

--
Michael Klontzas
'If everything seems to be coming your way,
you're probably in the wrong lane'
(Borstelmann's Rule)

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 11:57:47 +0000, Michael Klontzas
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 03:03:31 -0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
>
>> Michael Klontzas wrote:
>>> My rear rim gets so dirty, I doubt this would work for long.

>> Depends how much tape you use :) ...There will still be some good effect
>> as long as it's not /completely/ covered in muck. The plastic-covered
>> type easily wipes clean anyway. The front rim is visable from the rear
>> too: driver only needs to be slightly off to one side.

>I like this low-tech idea. I'll give it a try. The front rim gets a lot
>less dirty for some reason I could never really explain. It has the added
>advantage of steering, which should make it more visible from
>almost-directly-behind. Thanks.
>
>Off to get some tape now. Any pointers pls?

The "pimp my ride" section of any car accessory shop.

Tim

Michael Klontzas wrote:

>>> My rear rim gets so dirty, I doubt this would work for long.

>> Depends how much tape you use :) ...There will still be some good
>> effect as long as it's not /completely/ covered in muck. The
>> plastic-covered type easily wipes clean anyway. The front rim is
>> visable from the rear too: driver only needs to be slightly off to
>> one side.

> I like this low-tech idea. I'll give it a try. The front rim gets a
> lot less dirty for some reason I could never really explain. It has
> the added advantage of steering, which should make it more visible
> from almost-directly-behind. Thanks.
>
> Off to get some tape now. Any pointers pls?

Apparently Halfrauds sell some suitable stuff.

Solas tape is good for this job but is usually very expensive. I was
lucky enough to get some at a reasonable price via eBay, probably because
the seller didn't use the word "Solas". Another eBay seller has some now
but price will go high: http://tinyurl.com/9ux7r

3M Diamond Grade is rather thick and inflexible for rims, though I think
it would still work and is highly reflective. Good for flat accessories
and edges of cranks anyway.

Cheap, plain-looking and more practical thin vinyl tape is available from
www.flashies.co.uk , but it's not as reflective as any of the above stuff.
The yellow variety is more reflective than the white or red though.

~PB

Pete Biggs suggested:
> If you like this sort of thing, how about reflective tape on the rims?
> About 4 to 10 pieces in between adjacent spokes (facing the hub) creates a
> wicked flashing effect to motorists behind, at a slight-to-quite-great
> angle. I hope it doesn't drive them too mad!

I don't think it does. I've been sticking white tape to my rims in
exactly that way for about 10 years now, I've had a few compliments and
no complaints.

--
Danny Colyer (my reply address is valid but checked infrequently)
<URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/>
Subscribe to PlusNet <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/>

"Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Pete Biggs suggested:
>> If you like this sort of thing, how about reflective tape on the rims?
>> About 4 to 10 pieces in between adjacent spokes (facing the hub) creates
>> wicked flashing effect to motorists behind, at a slight-to-quite-great
>> angle. I hope it doesn't drive them too mad!

> I don't think it does. I've been sticking white tape to my rims in
> exactly that way for about 10 years now, I've had a few compliments and no
> complaints.

When I'm cycling after dark, and in full low-flying UFO mode due to acres of
lights (static & flashing) & acres of reflectives, the comments I've had
from motorists have all been along the lines of "I wish other cyclists would
be as easily visible as you"

Cheers, helen s

I got some for my 50th birthday a few weeks ago, bue ones, and have used
them a couple of time on the front wheel of my touring bike. Cars did
notice them from in front and behind and slowed down considerably. They
are destined for the front wheels of the Trice in a week or so.

Pete

wafflycat wrote:
> When I'm cycling after dark, and in full low-flying UFO mode due to acres of
> lights (static & flashing) & acres of reflectives, the comments I've had
> from motorists have all been along the lines of "I wish other cyclists would
> be as easily visible as you"

A couple of years ago I happened to be approaching a junction on the way
home from work at the same time as DW was approaching it from the
opposite direction in her car. She later reported that her first
thought was "That's a well lit cyclist", then she realised it was me.

Several years before that, a friend who was regularly a passenger in a
car travelling behind me on the way from gym to pub described my bike as
"Danny's spaceship" (and that was in the days when I still rode a
wedgie). :)