Let's Ban Smoking!

Carrera

Feb 2, 2004
Over the past few days I've been angry over smoking at work. :mad: There's one particular guy who's winding me up with his addiction and instance on killing himself while others are around to breathe the same air.
This same guy already suffered a heart attack and now he's discovered a tumour somewhere around the ear. Yet he continues to smoke some 70 cigarettes a day and seems to be totally addicted. :confused:
Everytime I'm in the office, this guy keeps walking in smoking. I open all the windows and doors and freeze if it's a cold day but now I've taken to simply leaving the room.
Isn't it time smoking was totally banned at work so other folks don't have to suffer the consequences of addiction? Anyone else get angry over this?

People can still smoke at work in the UK?!?
Whoa we can be terribly non-progressive over here in the US, but we have managed to ban smoking in lots of places. Here in WA state there is no smoking in most public indoor places (except in your own little hermetically sealed and ventilated room if the buliding owner chooses to provide it). Bars (pubs that is) are still exempt, but we are working on that.

RCW 70.160.030
Smoking in public places except designated smoking areas prohibited.
No person may smoke in a public place except in designated smoking areas.

no public place, other than a bar, tavern, bowling alley, tobacco shop, or restaurant, may be designated as a smoking area in its entirety. If a bar, tobacco shop, or restaurant is designated as a smoking area in its entirety, this designation shall be posted conspicuously on all entrances normally used by the public.

(2) Where smoking areas are designated, existing physical barriers and ventilation systems shall be used to minimize the toxic effect of smoke in adjacent nonsmoking areas.

It may be the case what this guy is doing could be illegal. I could, of course, go to the main office and report him and insist it should stop but my problem is I form a minority. Everyone at work smokes and has no concern over their health whatsoever. Some of them are red in the face through poor diet and blood pressure. They gasp and wheeze after climbing just 8 steps to the main door.
I hate to sound morbid but if you visit a grave-yard in my area, the average age of death is around 55. When I used to work for the local Health Authority, I was informed in a class that lack of education over diet and particularly smoking was causing premature death.
It sounds very harsh, I know, but I have no pateince with smokers who are selfish. I don't mind smoking in a bar or club so much but I hate people smoking at work.
What I tend to do is hide all the ashtrays and I also leave the room soon as smoking begins. I remain outside and cease work till it stops and then I open the windows and doors and spray air-freshener.
To be honest, I'm getting phobic about it (like Michael Jackson with his mask). In fact, I'm seriously thinking of buying a mask. I worry that even when the actual fumes have ceased in the office, my lungs could be damaged by the after-effects.

Eden said:
Whoa we can be terribly non-progressive over here in the US, but we have managed to ban smoking in lots of places. Here in WA state there is no smoking in most public indoor places (except in your own little hermetically sealed and ventilated room if the buliding owner chooses to provide it). Bars (pubs that is) are still exempt, but we are working on that.

RCW 70.160.030
Smoking in public places except designated smoking areas prohibited.
No person may smoke in a public place except in designated smoking areas.

no public place, other than a bar, tavern, bowling alley, tobacco shop, or restaurant, may be designated as a smoking area in its entirety. If a bar, tobacco shop, or restaurant is designated as a smoking area in its entirety, this designation shall be posted conspicuously on all entrances normally used by the public.

(2) Where smoking areas are designated, existing physical barriers and ventilation systems shall be used to minimize the toxic effect of smoke in adjacent nonsmoking areas.

Eden said:
I lived in Germany recently for 3 years and was shocked at how much smoking is still part of the culture there. I can't speak for the UK specifically, because I didn't spend much time there, but in general European public spaces are very tough to operate in if you abhore second hand smoke. After my wife and I had our first child we essentially stopped dining out unless the weather was good enough to sit outside because there was no escaping the smoky haze of indoor restaurants even with a child.

The difference between Europe and the states in this regard is really quite stunning.

I am a little incredulous that it is even permitted by your employer. Even here in Brasil, no one can smoke inside a building and only outside in officially designated areas (of course I work for an American Company...). Hmmm maybe the US deserves some kudos for at least being a leader on "local" pollution reduction.

The U.S. has looked at the statistics and proved what I already knew - smoking is a lethal drug addiction. This guy I refer to is totally addicted. From the moment he rises in the morning his only thought is to commence smoking till the time he goes to bed. The slightest exertion sees him wheezing and coughing. Now he has a possible tumour (benign or otherwise) yet still he smokes.
I guess my only solution may be to transfer somewhere else but for now I simply leave the room.

wilmar13 said:
I am a little incredulous that it is even permitted by your employer. Even here in Brasil, no one can smoke inside a building and only outside in officially designated areas (of course I work for an American Company...). Hmmm maybe the US deserves some kudos for at least being a leader on "local" pollution reduction.

You are more than right to be concerned. Every time someone lights up around you its just as bad as being the smoker (some say worse since the smoke coming off the end of the ciggarette is nastier than the stuff smokers inhale through the filter). There's some info on second hand smoke on our states web site if you are interested
http://www.doh.wa.gov/Tobacco/secondhand/secondhand.htm

good luck getting the smoking in your office to stop

Carrera said:
It may be the case what this guy is doing could be illegal. I could, of course, go to the main office and report him and insist it should stop but my problem is I form a minority.
It depends on what your companies policy is. I'd take it up with management if you can.

Carrera said:
I guess my only solution may be to transfer somewhere else but for now I simply leave the room.
You can also hope he dies quickly so that he is out of your hair and that he won't be a burden on your health care system...

He came to my post one night, pale with worry. This was when he found the tumour and I did my best to assure him it might not be cancer. Some cysts are benign. It seems that since then, the doctors must have done the tests and not detected any sign of cancer. So, the idiot has simply decided that this now justifies him smoking even more. And that's where my patience runs dry.
Last week I alsmost lost my temper. I'm really very mild natured and just not the type to throw Mcenroe-type tantrums but I did nearly blow a fuse.
The guy had started smoking so I left the room and went somewhere else to read a catalogue. I came back 35 minutes later and could smell smoke soon as I approached the door. There was smoke rising into the air from below the crack of the door at the bottom.
At that point I felt my temper slowly rising. I opened the door and he was sitting there smoking a fresh supply. In that half an hour he must have gotten through 3 cigarettes!!
All of a sudden I had this huge temptation to throw his supply out the window. I just have this feeling it's going to happen at some point. I had to take deep breaths and count to ten I was so angry. At the time I had a flu virus trying to grab ahold of me and didn't feel like being so long out of the office.
So, do any of you people have any ideas as to how I can drive this guy away? So far I tried blasting the room with so much air-freshener it might be intolerable to remain in the room. It made me ill to be honest and may have done me more harm than the nicotine. I winded up with a sore throat.

wilmar13 said:
You can also hope he dies quickly so that he is out of your hair and that he won't be a burden on your health care system...

Carrera said:
So, do any of you people have any ideas as to how I can drive this guy away?
Have you tried the obvious by telling him it REALLY bothers you, and ask if he can go outside to smoke? Hell I know a lot of people that joke about starting smoking just for the excuse to get up from their desks and go outside for 5-10 minutes once every hour or two...

Tried that one but it didn't work. He's totally addicted and couldn't stop even if the doctors told him his life was on the line.
The only thing I haven't done is made an official complaint as I don't like to make so many waves. Instead I've tried hiding ash trays or leaving the room.
The problem is I doubt anyone would back me.
As it is, I may be unpopular due to my anti-smoking stance but I don't care. The fact is people are dying of passive smoking and being forced to inhale noxious fumes.
Even people like Mick Jagger have woken up to it. Mick now jogs and cycles every day and hardly touches alcohol.

wilmar13 said:
Have you tried the obvious by telling him it REALLY bothers you, and ask if he can go outside to smoke? Hell I know a lot of people that joke about starting smoking just for the excuse to get up from their desks and go outside for 5-10 minutes once every hour or two...

Carrera said:
Tried that one but it didn't work. He's totally addicted and couldn't stop even if the doctors told him his life was on the line.
The only thing I haven't done is made an official complaint as I don't like to make so many waves. Instead I've tried hiding ash trays or leaving the room.
The problem is I doubt anyone would back me.
As it is, I may be unpopular due to my anti-smoking stance but I don't care. The fact is people are dying of passive smoking and being forced to inhale noxious fumes.
Even people like Mick Jagger have woken up to it. Mick now jogs and cycles every day and hardly touches alcohol.
Ummm I never said get him to stop, let him chain smoke all day long for all you care, but ask him to leave the office when he does so it doesn't bother anyone.

wilmar13 said:
Ummm I never said get him to stop, let him chain smoke all day long for all you care, but ask him to leave the office when he does so it doesn't bother anyone.

As a new fire regulation anyone seen smoking will be assumed to be on fire and extinguished....with a fire axe.

Carrera said:
Isn't it time smoking was totally banned at work so other folks don't have to suffer the consequences of addiction? Anyone else get angry over this?
smoking is totally banned in my workplace and has been for the past 10 years. We were one of the first establishments in Scotland to set up (or is that install) a smoke free workplace...

if it were up to me i would ban smoking altogther...it is socially disgusting, kills millions every year and makes millions for the governement which goes on healthcare for cancer patients.

My father has cancer due to smoking, he has went under major surgery to get rid of it. 8 months later he cannot talk or eat and has lost 1/4 or his body weight and we've just been told that they have discovered more cancerous tissue. The first operation nearly killed him such was the scale and he refuses to under go any more. Now we are just ticking off the days grateful for every moment he is with us.

i dont understand why in this day and age such a dangerous drug is still legal.

What the companies do is ween victims onto the drug and thus create dependency. It's an addictive narcotic. It's that simple. The addiction grows and grows and creates addicts. This guy must smoke maybe 70 - 90 cigarettes a day.
Myself, I'm seen as the odd one out. In my area most people are plain dumb. Guys round here work themselves into an early grave then hand their pay packets over to the wife. They eat fried food all the time and high fat foods, balooning in weight. This same guy must have a 46 inch waist and it's a shame as he's basically a nice guy.
Every time I pull a face over smoking, I'm seen as the odd one out. I'm seen as a weirdo simply for taking time to look after my body and because I don't want to just work, work, work and never take holidays.
What's the point of all this working, high fat food and smoking? I enjoy a drink, gold label, guiness wine and stuff like chocolate. I'm not a fanatic and don't object to people smoking in bars or cafes. But what I see around me is a lot of folks just not giving 2 hoots about their health.

MountainPro said:
smoking is totally banned in my workplace and has been for the past 10 years. We were one of the first establishments in Scotland to set up (or is that install) a smoke free workplace...

if it were up to me i would ban smoking altogther...it is socially disgusting, kills millions every year and makes millions for the governement which goes on healthcare for cancer patients.

My father has cancer due to smoking, he has went under major surgery to get rid of it. 8 months later he cannot talk or eat and has lost 1/4 or his body weight and we've just been told that they have discovered more cancerous tissue. The first operation nearly killed him such was the scale and he refuses to under go any more. Now we are just ticking off the days grateful for every moment he is with us.

i dont understand why in this day and age such a dangerous drug is still legal.

I like the idea of assuming he's on fire, but maybe a fire extinguisher would get you in less trouble than a fire axe ;)

You could try spraying him with bug spray, since the air freshener didn't work

You could put a smoke alarm near him - a REALLY loud one, at least 115dB

Check the laws in your area to see if it is actually illegal.

I'm not sure the laws in America (or Aust for that matter) would've been changed to make smoking illegal in the workplace if people hadn't started sueing for damages....

Buy yourself an ashtray and some rubber/nylon string etc then burn it over the sah tray in the office, it'll kick out an awfull pungent smelling smoke to which the smokers will surely complain and insist you stop,to which you simply reply
"now you know what i have to put up with when you burn tobacco , kindly desist" :D

I guess things are going to come to a head pretty soon. In himself, this guy is O.K. and there is nothing personal in my gripe. It's just his addiction to smoking seems to be killing him and all other unfortunates who happen to be in the surrounding area. Ultimately I blame the companies who create addicts. This is how they make their money and this guy is totally hooked.
I have several plans in mind. I'm considering the use of sneezing powder or maybe a smoke alarm.
Maybe I'll even find another job since, at the end of the day, everyone I work with is hooked. I'm a total minority. Nobody at work cares remotely about personal health.
You should see one poor guy who lived on hamburgers and fries all his life. All his legs swelled up blood red like logs and he can no longer work. His arteries have clogged. I don't preach at these people but try to simply give advice but it's to no avail.

Peka said:
I like the idea of assuming he's on fire, but maybe a fire extinguisher would get you in less trouble than a fire axe ;)

You could try spraying him with bug spray, since the air freshener didn't work

You could put a smoke alarm near him - a REALLY loud one, at least 115dB

Check the laws in your area to see if it is actually illegal.

I'm not sure the laws in America (or Aust for that matter) would've been changed to make smoking illegal in the workplace if people hadn't started sueing for damages....

In New Zealand smoking in public places has been banned since last year. If you want to smoke you have to go out side or in to a smokers room. Its wonderful when you can walk in to a bar and the air is clean. There was a big up roar when the law came in but its all died down now.
Marie