"Long reach" (57mm) dual pivots & brake bridge position for 700C wheels.

Jason Hodges

Guest
I'm going custom for my next bike and I need some considered opinion on the following:

What is the optimum distance between the dropout centers and the brake bridge when using "long
reach" (57mm) dual pivot brakes (Shimano R600) and 700C wheels?

Does simply adding 622mm (bead diameter) and 57mm (reach) give the correct answer?

TIA Jason

Quoth Jason Hodges:

> I'm going custom for my next bike and I need some considered opinion on the following:
>
> What is the optimum distance between the dropout centers and the brake bridge when using "long
> reach" (57mm) dual pivot brakes (Shimano R600) and 700C wheels?
>
> Does simply adding 622mm (bead diameter) and 57mm (reach) give the correct answer?

You're on the right track, but not quite right. The bead diameter does generally correspond
pretty closely to the middle of the brake track on the rim, but it's the _radius_ you want, not
the diameter.

311 + 57 = 368, which would be the _maximum_, center to center. Since the caliper actually sticks
out a bit from the frame/fork, you need to allow a small fudge factor.

The "57 mm" calipers actually have a range of adjustment from 47-57 mm. If you want to
maximize fender/tire (mudguard/tyre for our British friends) clearance, you want the bridge as
high as possible.

If you want maximum possible braking force, you might go a bit lower. Generally, having the shoes
adjusted higher up in the arms increases braking force, but modern dual pivots have so much
mechanical advantage that there's no practical benefit to this.

Sheldon "Stop!" Brown +-----------------------------------------------+
| Earth is the cradle of the mind. | But one can not stay in the cradle forever. | -- Konstantin
| Tsiolkovsky |
+-----------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

>I'm going custom for my next bike and I need some considered opinion on the following:

Lots snipped.

Not your problem, Jason. Just tell the builder what reach brakes you want to use. Phil Brown

The answer is less for two reasons: the center of the brake surface is about 2mm hubward of bead
seat, and 57mm is max, 49-57mm is typical. The dimension you seek is 365mm give or take one or two.
Tom the framebuilder Bruni

--
Bruni Bicycles "Where art meets science" brunibicycles.com
news:[email protected]...