Losing weight

Sando

Jun 22, 2006
Just wondering if any of you have a scheudle that you follow to lose weight. I am about 6'1 and weigh 90kg. My 'fighting weight' should be about 80 - 82kg. I have no fat on my legs but have a bit up-top on my upper body.

I ride to and from work 5 days a week (26km each day round trip).

I could go for a ride each weekend if this would help???

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Diet ideas would be great too!

You will get a lot of different responses to this, there are many different solutions and some work for them but not others.

Loosing fat is 80% about diet and 20% about exercise, but you need both to acheive your goals.

Most people are consuming many more calories than they realise, often hidden or empty calories, meaning things that don't fill you up but pack the calories in, such as a soft drink. There are more calories in a 600ml bottle of coke than you would of consumed on your homeward bound trip.

I highy recommend that you log your exercise and food in www.fitday.com and learn from that information.

Hello Friends...........

1.Exercise regularly

2.Drink plenty of water

3.Avoid fried foods

Thanks

I would advise seeing a nutritionalist.

For me my troubles were sugar, and white flour sugar.

Pasta's, sandwich breads, chips, pizza etc.....

Also learning to read a label helps. Grams of sugar is a killer...the body stores excess sugar as fat.

A 16 oz Mountain Dew Soda has 34g of sugar.

Divide the grams of sugar by 4 and that is how many teaspoons of sugar you are consuming. in a serving.

Would you pour 8+ teaspoons of sugar in a 16 oz glass of water and drink it?

Pop-tarts = 32 grams of sugar.

Once you find what you're body is responsive to, the weight can be stripped safely.

Simply put, calories out must be greater than calories in.

The balance of performance and diet is delicate...I'm still working on it myself.

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, but know quite a bit about training and loosing weight.

The first thing you need to know is that there is no such thing as local burning of fat. That means that if you've got fat on your stommach, it's no use to just train your abs to get it off.
You should activate the large muscle groups, so they will need more energy, the body will burn the fat in order to feed those big muscle groups. These are the leg- and backmuscles. If you want to train in the gym, make sure you do 3 times 15 - 20 repetitions at a maximum weight. (you shouldn't be abled to do 21 repetitions the first serie) Train once every two days.

The place where your fat is "stored" depends on your hormones. Cortisol is stommach, oestrogen is legs for example. But that's an other story.

As mentioned before, sugars that you don't use, will be stored as fat. In fact every form of carbs will.

The bottom line is: cut on carbs and train your big muscle groups if you want to loose weight.

Good luck, and if you have any questions, let me know!

I've just started and in 3 weeks moved from 113kg to 108kg. I find one of the best things to do is calories in vs calories out. It's the ultimate rule.

Try cooking lots of vegetables and eating lean chicken breast for protein. Chicken breast has very little fat and doesn't raise the risk of any bowel cancer. Vegetables provide the fibre to make you feel full, clean out your bowels and also give you vitamins. Vegetables are basically empty calories (exceptions such as potatoes etc.).

Try spacing out your meals, eat 6 smaller meals in a day rather than 3 large ones.

So.... pre-commute meal
snack when you get to work
lunch
3-4pm snack
Dinner
evening snack

6 meals a day helps your body to maintain a constant metabolism and will make you feel less tired.

There are a million websites to dieting 101, but that's the basics in a nutshell! Hope it helps!

And before i forget, NO PROCESSED CARBS, so if you want carbs, wholemeal bread and muesli/weetabix/shredded wheat. Processed carbs are simpler than 'complex' carbs and rush into your system super fast, causing a spike in fat generation.

sufiankane said:
I've just started and in 3 weeks moved from 113kg to 108kg. I find one of the best things to do is calories in vs calories out. It's the ultimate rule.

Try cooking lots of vegetables and eating lean chicken breast for protein. Chicken breast has very little fat and doesn't raise the risk of any bowel cancer. Vegetables provide the fibre to make you feel full, clean out your bowels and also give you vitamins. Vegetables are basically empty calories (exceptions such as potatoes etc.).

Try spacing out your meals, eat 6 smaller meals in a day rather than 3 large ones.

So.... pre-commute meal
snack when you get to work
lunch
3-4pm snack
Dinner
evening snack

6 meals a day helps your body to maintain a constant metabolism and will make you feel less tired.

There are a million websites to dieting 101, but that's the basics in a nutshell! Hope it helps!

And before i forget, NO PROCESSED CARBS, so if you want carbs, wholemeal bread and muesli/weetabix/shredded wheat. Processed carbs are simpler than 'complex' carbs and rush into your system super fast, causing a spike in fat generation.

Great Post! I absolutely concur with that advise.

I lost 25 lbs this Summer by watching my diet very closely and getting at least an hour of good cardio in every day.

My two biggest tips for losing weight:

1.) Use a calorie counting application of some kind to watch intake, nutrients percentages, and calorie expenditure. I use "Loseit" (www.loseit.com) - it's an app on my ipod and it does it all.

2.) Mix up your exercises. Riding to and from work every day is awesome! Compliment it by doing some basic weight training and running on the weekends. These exercises will work different muscule groups and keep your body's metabolism working hard.

I agree with the other posters in that the reason that you aren't losing any weight is your diet. Your exercise routine or the routine of riding your bike back and forth to work is pretty good and should burn plenty of calories. It's just a matter of reducing your calorie intake so that you lose weight but not lose it too quickly. -Bella Vega, Golden Rule

Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider .

How about the new Twinkie Diet? Pretty puzzling.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Not at all, he restricted himself to 1800 calories a day. Basically proved that if calories in are less than calories out, you will lose weight. What those calories are composed of doesn't matter as long as there is a relative deficit. Now, you could argue that for continued good health, the quality and source of your calories is important but that wasn't what he set out to show.

I should've been more clear but the real interesting part to me was his LDL (bad cholesterol) dropping so much.

Originally Posted by matagi .

Quote: Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider .

How about the new Twinkie Diet? Pretty puzzling.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Not at all, he restricted himself to 1800 calories a day. Basically proved that if calories in are less than calories out, you will lose weight. What those calories are composed of doesn't matter as long as there is a relative deficit. Now, you could argue that for continued good health, the quality and source of your calories is important but that wasn't what he set out to show.

Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider .

I should've been more clear but the real interesting part to me was his LDL (bad cholesterol) dropping so much.

Ah yes, that was interesting. I can't quite work out the biochemical basis for the drop, except perhaps to postulate that his diet lead to an increased need for cholesterol at a tissue level, hence no "excess" cholesterol in the circulation.

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hi, Sando![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I'm relatively new to biking, so don't really have a lot of expertise in a biking schedule for you. It looks like you're already biking about 8 miles twice a day in your commute, which is great, but of course a weekend ride couldn't hurt. If you get a lunch hour, you might consider going on a half-hour ride during that time. That would add 2.5 hours of biking in to your routine; but more importantly, it would a) rev up your metabolism again during the mid day to keep the munchies at bay, and b) limit the time you can sit and snack or overeat during lunch, if you tend to do that.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]What I do have a bit of knowledge in is dieting, having done it most of my adult life. (The interesting thing is that it never worked until I started cycling every day.) Before I discovered I could lose weight through cycling, I went to a bariatrics surgeon. They're the kind who specialize in obesity, and he's a big shot at the University of San Francisco, so he's no hacker or quack. I've learned some very important things through him. Such as....[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]1) It really is about calories in, calories out. If you expend 2500 calories a day and take in 2600 calories, that extra 100 calories WILL be stored as fat. It doesn't matter if all 2600 calories are eaten as LETTUCE; the extra ones will be stored as fat. It's what the body does with them, and we can't change that. All the stuff about no sugar or no fat or no carbs or whatever is just a way of helping us limit the NUMBER of calories we take in, and we obviously should strive for a balanced, healthy diet -- but it's still calories in versus calories out. That's why exercise is so very important. It helps use up excess calories. You're already exercising well.... so let's get on to the part about food. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]2) Dieting fails, at least in the USA, a staggering NINETY-EIGHT percent of the time. 98%!! That means only TWO percent of the people who take weight off will keep it off. The chances of our being one of those 2% is... well... 2%. Again, exercise will help, and the 2% who keep it off do exercise regularly. But -- he asked -- why do the other 98% fail? Because DIETING SUCKS. According to him, it doesn't matter how determined you are or how much will power you have, because as humans we like to eat, we like to eat GOOD food, and if we don't love the food on our diets, we give in and eat food we do like. So what's the solution?[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]3) You have to 'diet' by eating foods you DO like. That's such a mind-blowing proposition that it's hard to grasp, because we've been taught all our lives that dieting means eating only non-starchy green veggies and salad and grilled meat. Which is fine, for a while, in the summertime. But eventually we all want something creamier or sweeter or crunchier or breadier, and only those 2% can handle salads and grilled meat for very long. What this fantastic MD helped us see was that you CAN enjoy foods while you lose weight. And when you're eating foods you LIKE on your new meal plan (I don't call it a diet, it's simply how I eat now), you're never tempted to cheat or give up. Here's how: [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]The first thing he suggested was buying a book titled Eat This, Not That. I bought it, and it's great. I read through it first, and I keep it in my car. Because what it does is tell you, very specifically, what to eat wherever you are instead of what you usually eat. It doesn't tell you to never go to McDonald's. It tells you what to EAT at McDonald's... and Starbucks.... and Red Lobster.... and Outback.... and all those places we usually cave in and eat without knowing how many thousands of calories are in what we usually eat. It has helped me more times than I can count. The doc noted that he had been eating a burger at Jack in the Box, I think it was, that he learned had nearly 1,000 calories! He didn't stop going, he simply changed which sandwich he ate, and now he eats a teriyaki chicken burger, I think it's called, with half the calories. The thing is, he LOVES it, so he doesn't miss the other burger, and he saves 500 calories every time he goes there. If you do that very many times, those previously ingested calories add up in a hurry, and you lose weight without realizing you're 'dieting.' There is also a new version for the home, called Cook This, Not That, that takes typical recipes people cook at home and revise them for you. I'm going to buy it too.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]The second step is to make a rule that you write down/type in/keep track of every calorie that goes in your mouth. How you do it is up to you. I love Fit-Day.com for myself, but there are dozens of free sites like that if you don't like that one. The point is to use one. If You Bite It, You Write It. It makes you accountable to yourself. It also makes you begin to figure out exactly how many calories are in what you're eating, and how you're eating more than you think you are. It's a real eye-opener. And CalorieKing.com is a great site for finding out nutritional stats. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]The last thing is that you must find foods that you truly enjoy that are lower-calorie in nature, at least compared to what you usually eat. I've spent the past 4 months looking up diet recipes on about every online site you can imagine, trying them out, revising what I didn't care for, pitching some, and saving the ones I really like. Did I have a few meals I ended up not liking? Yep -- just like when you order something new at a restaurant and don't care for it. It didn't kill me; I just threw out that recipe. But I kept a file of the recipes I did like, and we've perfected them to our taste, making some spicier, some blander, etc., all the while keeping the calories correct. Hubby and I now have about 30 supper-time entrees that we LOVE, most of which are in the 350 to 450 calorie range. I've lost 45 pounds since July, and he -- although he didn't have as much to lose and ate lots of foods I didn't -- has lost about 25. The thing is, we will KEEP losing until we're slender, because we love what we're eating, so why should we stop doing it? Last night we had a chicken-and-dressing casserole that was creamy and meaty and DIVINE. My kids, who are not dieting, request it when they come home to visit because it's so good. And it only has 388 calories for a large portion. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Anybody can go online and do the same thing, if he really wants to learn to eat in a way that will take weight off and keep it off. I am also willing to share my recipes, if anyone would like them, because it has been such a revelation to me that I really can eat the kinds of 'normal' casseroles and soups and meals that I enjoy, and still lose weight. I'm loving it![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I wish you success in this effort. There's nothing harder than losing weight permanently. And there's little more exciting than learning how to do it.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Have a good one![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Sierra[/COLOR]

Reactions: Marcus Brott
Great post Sierra, congrats on your success.
Wondering if you could share the resources where you found all of those recipes, that's where I need the most help since we don't eat out too much.

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks, Upstate, I'd be happy to.[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff] [/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]What I did originally was just google "diet recipes," and thousands of sites came up. I've tried so many I can't possibly remember them all, but the ones I now use the most often are:[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]1) Allrecipes.com -- The diet recipes are a little hard to find, but are sooo worth it. From the home page, click on the 'recipes' tab near the top, then from the left on the left scroll down to Healthy Cooking. On that page, you have a list of your choice of low calorie, low carb, low fat, etc. Once you click on which of those categories you want and are on the low-whatever page you clicked on, there's a tab near the top called Top 20. Those are the readers' 20 favorite low-calorie recipes, and they're nearly always great, but don't just stick to the top 20 either. I always read a lot of the recipes' reviews, because the reader's suggestions can make all the difference in the world. I also check how many servings a recipe makes, because to me it isn't low-calorie food if it's only low cal because you get a tiny serving, lol. One thing I like about that site is that you can sign in and have your own recipe box, and just click on a recipe you like to keep it in your box. Some I like from them are Aunt Jewel's Chicken Dressing Casserole for 388 calories, Chicken Marsala for 241, and Anne's Shrimp Etouffee for 255. [/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]2) Taste of Home.com – Their home page has a tab titled 'Healthy', and from there again you click on Special Diets to get what you're after. I loved their cookbooks and have many of them, pre-diet concerns. It's basic Southern cooking so can be high-cal. On their diet recipes, check the servings. They had one dessert bar that was low cal because it was the size of a postage stamp, lol.[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]3) Cooking Light.com – We love their Oven-Fried Chicken Parmesan for 401 calories. [/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]4) Hungry Girl.com – She has hundreds of pages of recipes, and a lot of them are recipe makeovers. We love her "Crab Rangoonies", Crab Wontons, for 141 calories. And her 'sweet-potato casserole' is made from butternut squash, but tastes exactly like sweet potatoes and is only 110 calories for a HUGE serving. Be careful with her recipes, though, if she suggests oven-baking something with Fiber One Cereal for fake frying. She says they're crunchy and crispy; for us, those always turn out just gummy and weird, no matter how we adjust them. So we now avoid those or exchange the cereal for Panko bread crumbs and adjust the calories. [/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]Again, all I really did was google for diet recipes and then start checking the sites out. Even when I’m surfing for non-diet recipes, if a little advertising box pops up for Christmas cookies or whatever, I’ll go to the site and see if they have diet recipes. It’s amazing what you can find when you start searching![/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]Good luck! Let me know how it goes for you. [/COLOR]

Despite the way it feels, losing weight isn't a mysterious process. It's a simple matter of burning more calories than you eat. But, if it were really that simple, none of us would have a weight problem, would we? Weight loss can be such a struggle that we start thinking we have to do something drastic to see results -- diets, pills or those weird fitness gadgets on infomercials that promise instant success. The true secret to weight loss is this: Make small changes each and every day and you'll slowly (but surely) lose those extra pounds. The key is to forget about instant results and settle in for the long run.

Reactions: SierraSlim
Originally Posted by anne123 .

Hello Friends...........

1.Exercise regularly

2.Drink plenty of water

3.Avoid fried foods

Thanks
Hi friends,
Best way of reducing your wait

Calculate basal metabolic rate

Calculate your activity level. Use a calorie counter to calculate how many calories you burn while sitting, standing, exercising, lifting weights, etc.

Keep track of how many calories you eat. You can use a site like Calorie Count or use a food diary to record what you eat and drink each day.

Exercise play vital role for loosing weight quickly..Consume low calorie food and reduces consuming junk food,nuts,more amount meat etc.try to eat spicy food which burn some amount of calories and fat of the body.drink green tea is more beneficial for weight loss.

Hi there! :)

You can try to:
- Eat healthy foods especially fruits and vegetables.
- Avoid sweets and oily foods.
- Exercise everyday. Walking or running can help. If you know how to swim, you may do so.

Before you start, you have to make sure that you are really determined to lose weight. Remember your goal.
Oh, by the way, don't forget to take vitamins, too.

Hope, you'll have positive results! :)

Here i sharing best tips for losing weight. I think Exercise is the absolute best solution. Try finding a sport or activity that you think you'll enjoy. If there isn't anything you like - then a slow jog or brisk walk is just what the body is asking for. The benefits of regular exercise reach into every area of the body.

sell car