LPGA backs off...

tonyzackery

Dec 23, 2006
Someone finally came to their senses and now the LPGA has backed off their stance to fine/suspend players (99% Asian) who are not or don't become proficient in English...

2008 and still having to deal with this type of B.S...I'm suprised, but I know I shouldn't be...

tonyzackery said:
Someone finally came to their senses and now the LPGA has backed off their stance to fine/suspend players (99% Asian) who are not or don't become proficient in English...

2008 and still having to deal with this type of B.S...I'm suprised, but I know I shouldn't be...
As near as I can tell, not following golf at all, the LPGA has a legitimate concern. A series dominated by foreigners will have a hard time in the U.S. Open wheel racing in the U.S. has similar problems. The average Joe Sixpack has a hard time watching the win of a "furriner" from a country he cannot locate on a map and with a name he cannot pronounce. If the winners cannot speak English, it makes the situation ten times worse. This is a simple economic reality; sport is entertainment, and a big part of that entertainment is the personalities of the contestants.

That said, it seems like the LPGA could have handled this in a much better way, like providing "americanization" training, for lack of a better word, so the golfers can better handle interviews and such. They could spend some effort on PR for individual asian players and promote the series more heavily in the U.S. asian community and asian countries. Perhaps with the right marketing campaign, they could turn their series into a lucrative avenue for marketing to asians.

BTW, a lot of us are moving to http://justcycling.myfastforum.org/index.php because no new members can post here.