Man on bike vs man on horse - which is faster?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by David S. Maddison, Sep 6, 2003.

  1. Consider a man on a bike in a competition against man on a horse. Who
    do you think would win and under what circumstances. I am conisering
    all types of horses, terrain and bikes. E.g. Mountain bikes over rough
    ground on dirt tracks or a buitumen road with the horse running on
    grass alongside.

    David

    Tags:

  2. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "David S. Maddison" <maddisonREMOVETHISTOEMAIL@connexus.net.au> wrote in
    message news:t98jlvkla353gdp55n4vibaokjdgf3cgu2@4ax.com...

    > Consider a man on a bike in a competition against man on a horse. Who
    > do you think would win and under what circumstances. I am conisering
    > all types of horses, terrain and bikes. E.g. Mountain bikes over rough
    > ground on dirt tracks or a buitumen road with the horse running on
    > grass alongside.

    My money is on:
    Horse uphill over rough terrain
    Bike downhill road and off-road
    Flat would be tough - depends on distance?

    Try googling for it or maybe the Guiness Book would
    have some speed figures?

    hth
    hippy

  3. SM

    SM Guest

    No question that horse wins every time over anything than about 50 metres,
    but then again I guess that depends on what type of horse and what type of
    terrain...

    "David S. Maddison" <maddisonREMOVETHISTOEMAIL@connexus.net.au> wrote in
    message news:t98jlvkla353gdp55n4vibaokjdgf3cgu2@4ax.com...

    > Consider a man on a bike in a competition against man on a horse. Who
    > do you think would win and under what circumstances. I am conisering
    > all types of horses, terrain and bikes. E.g. Mountain bikes over rough
    > ground on dirt tracks or a buitumen road with the horse running on
    > grass alongside.
    >
    > David

  4. DJ

    DJ Guest

    I reckons that I would put all my money on the horse in all catagories with
    the odds being smaller on the downhill...I guess it depends on steepness and
    terrain unless insanity prevails, but unless you can average 60kph on the
    flat on a bike the horse has little competition and as far as uphill is
    concerned...1 horsepower compared to 1 manpower.....again..very little
    competition irrespective of how many gears you have, and the horse will
    climb a steeper grade than you'll ever pedal a cycle up...and it can jump
    logs better too..........a motorbike yes...a bicycle...sorry!!

    I'll take your money on the bike though hehhe

    DJ

    "David S. Maddison" <maddisonREMOVETHISTOEMAIL@connexus.net.au> wrote in
    message news:t98jlvkla353gdp55n4vibaokjdgf3cgu2@4ax.com...

    > Consider a man on a bike in a competition against man on a horse. Who
    > do you think would win and under what circumstances. I am conisering
    > all types of horses, terrain and bikes. E.g. Mountain bikes over rough
    > ground on dirt tracks or a buitumen road with the horse running on
    > grass alongside.
    >
    > David

  5. Andy G

    Andy G Guest

    well, any distance under 5 km the horse will win. usually... but....
    over that and the horse will die trying to catch up.

    when was the last time you saw a horse race or event over 20 km.
    they have to have bike races that length just to sort the men from the boys.

    terrain to suit. soft sand will kill the bike.
    over distance, the bike creams it in.

    there have been several horse vs man races, the man often wins by drafting
    then sprinting.
    "DJ" <mrjay@bigpond.com> wrote in message
    > I reckons that I would put all my money on the horse in all catagories

    with
    > the odds being smaller on the downhill...I guess it depends on steepness

    and
    > terrain unless insanity prevails, but unless you can average 60kph on the
    > flat on a bike the horse has little competition and as far as uphill is
    > concerned...1 horsepower compared to 1 manpower.....again..very little
    > competition irrespective of how many gears you have, and the horse will
    > climb a steeper grade than you'll ever pedal a cycle up...and it can jump
    > logs better too..........a motorbike yes...a bicycle...sorry!!
    >
    > I'll take your money on the bike though hehhe
    >
    > DJ
    >

    > "David S. Maddison" <maddisonREMOVETHISTOEMAIL@connexus.net.au> wrote in
    > message news:t98jlvkla353gdp55n4vibaokjdgf3cgu2@4ax.com...
    > >

    > > Consider a man on a bike in a competition against man on a horse. Who
    > > do you think would win and under what circumstances. I am conisering
    > > all types of horses, terrain and bikes. E.g. Mountain bikes over rough
    > > ground on dirt tracks or a buitumen road with the horse running on
    > > grass alongside.
    > >
    > > David

  6. Jack Russell

    Jack Russell Guest

    Not sure about that. I believe 35 miles a day was considered good for a
    horse. Even I can do that easily on a bike.

    SM wrote:

    >No question that horse wins every time over anything than about 50 metres,
    >but then again I guess that depends on what type of horse and what type of
    >terrain...
    >
    >"David S. Maddison" <maddisonREMOVETHISTOEMAIL@connexus.net.au> wrote in
    >message news:t98jlvkla353gdp55n4vibaokjdgf3cgu2@4ax.com...
    >

    >>Consider a man on a bike in a competition against man on a horse. Who
    >>do you think would win and under what circumstances. I am conisering
    >>all types of horses, terrain and bikes. E.g. Mountain bikes over rough
    >>ground on dirt tracks or a buitumen road with the horse running on
    >>grass alongside.
    >>
    >>David

  7. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    "Andy G" wrote

    > there have been several horse vs man races, the man often wins by

    drafting
    > then sprinting.

    A draft horse?

    :)

    Theo

  8. darryl

    darryl Guest

    In article <t98jlvkla353gdp55n4vibaokjdgf3cgu2@4ax.com>,
    David S. Maddison <maddisonREMOVETHISTOEMAIL@connexus.net.au> wrote:

    > Consider a man on a bike in a competition against man on a horse. Who
    > do you think would win and under what circumstances. I am conisering
    > all types of horses, terrain and bikes. E.g. Mountain bikes over rough
    > ground on dirt tracks or a buitumen road with the horse running on
    > grass alongside.
    >
    > David

    I have read the responses to date and disagree with the opinions about
    how far horses can travel.
    There are a number of endurance races for horse and rider in Australia
    and overseas.
    The typical event covers 200 km over two days (100 km each day). The
    horses are restricted from going any further each day and must pass a
    number of veterinary inspections along the route to gain approval to
    continue.
    Having dispelled that myth, I believe a man on a mountain bike or
    cyclo-cross bike would keep up quite easily over long distances.
    I even think that a man running would cover the 100 km in less time and
    still back up the next day to do it again as long as he did not have to
    stop for medical inspections. In case you do not follow the running
    scene the world 24-hour record is held by an Australian with 303 km in
    24 hours. Humans have incredible endurance.

    cheers,
    Darryl

  9. Andrew Swan

    Andrew Swan Guest

    Andy G wrote:
    > there have been several horse vs man races, the man often wins by drafting
    > then sprinting.

    Drafting behind a horse....? Ever cleaned out a stable? Pheeee - ewww!

    &roo

  10. Andrew Swan

    Andrew Swan Guest

    David S. Maddison wrote:

    > Consider a man on a bike in a competition against man on a horse. Who
    > do you think would win and under what circumstances. I am conisering
    > all types of horses, terrain and bikes. E.g. Mountain bikes over rough
    > ground on dirt tracks or a buitumen road with the horse running on
    > grass alongside.
    >
    > David

    Steve Hogg said yesterday at the Sydney bike show that an endurance
    runner (i.e. not even on a bike) can outrun a horse in terms of distance
    covered. If this is true, the horse would have no hope against a bike,
    provided the terrain was fit for cycling on.

    &roo

  11. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "darryl" <noreply@zip.com.au> wrote in message
    > There are a number of endurance races for horse and rider in Australia
    > and overseas.
    > The typical event covers 200 km over two days (100 km each day). The
    > horses are restricted from going any further each day and must pass a
    > number of veterinary inspections along the route to gain approval to
    > continue.

    Yeah, I've seen coverage of one of these events on TV. It's very big
    in the middle-east and I think they were saying it was Aussie horses
    that are the current leaders or at least rivaling the Arab horses.
    But, from what I saw, the speed they were tavelling at would _easily_
    be exceeded by a person on a bike, probably a runner too.

    hippy

  12. DJ

    DJ Guest

    "Andrew Swan" <usenet@SPAMMERSandrewMUSTswanDIE.com> wrote in message
    > David S. Maddison wrote:
    > >
    > > Consider a man on a bike in a competition against man on a horse. Who
    > > do you think would win and under what circumstances. I am conisering
    > > all types of horses, terrain and bikes. E.g. Mountain bikes over rough
    > > ground on dirt tracks or a buitumen road with the horse running on
    > > grass alongside.
    > >
    > > David
    > >

    > Steve Hogg said yesterday at the Sydney bike show that an endurance
    > runner (i.e. not even on a bike) can outrun a horse in terms of distance
    > covered. If this is true, the horse would have no hope against a bike,
    > provided the terrain was fit for cycling on.

    Unless the horse's name is TRIGGER!! hehe

    DJ
    > &roo

  13. Trevor S

    Trevor S Guest

    "Andy G" <dalinean@starday.com.au> wrote in

    > well, any distance under 5 km the horse will win. usually... but....
    > over that and the horse will die trying to catch up.
    >
    > when was the last time you saw a horse race or event over 20 km.

    You need to get out more, I have seen horse "events" go for weeks, riding
    across country, albeit not often galloping all the way... :)

    --
    Trevor S

    -Albert Einstein

  14. rickster

    rickster Guest

    David S. Maddison <maddisonREMOVETHISTOEMAIL@connexus.net.au> wrote in message news:<t98jlvkla353gdp55n4vibaokjdgf3cgu2@4ax.com>...
    > Consider a man on a bike in a competition against man on a horse. Who
    > do you think would win and under what circumstances. I am conisering
    > all types of horses, terrain and bikes. E.g. Mountain bikes over rough
    > ground on dirt tracks or a buitumen road with the horse running on
    > grass alongside.
    >
    > David

    A horse on a race track will do 1 km in just under a minute, standing start
    A cyclist on a velodrome will do it just on a minute, standing start

    Now a horse on a bike could not be beaten over a 1 km. That I'd like to see !!

  15. K&C Russell

    K&C Russell Guest

    "rickster" <rdj1969@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > David S. Maddison <maddisonREMOVETHISTOEMAIL@connexus.net.au> wrote in

    message news:<t98jlvkla353gdp55n4vibaokjdgf3cgu2@4ax.com>...
    > > Consider a man on a bike in a competition against man on a horse. Who
    > > do you think would win and under what circumstances. I am conisering
    > > all types of horses, terrain and bikes. E.g. Mountain bikes over rough
    > > ground on dirt tracks or a buitumen road with the horse running on
    > > grass alongside.
    > >
    > > David

    > A horse on a race track will do 1 km in just under a minute, standing

    start
    > A cyclist on a velodrome will do it just on a minute, standing start
    >
    > Now a horse on a bike could not be beaten over a 1 km. That I'd like to

    see !!

    Yes, but the longer the event the more easily a horse is out run by a man on
    foot, let alone a bike. they do not have the endurance to compete.

    Kevin

  16. trembler50

    trembler50 Guest

    Man Vs Horse has been run over a 22 mile course in the UK for the last
    twenty odd years.

    A runner has never beaten the winning horse yet, despite a substanatial
    prize being offered.

    Only in the last few years have cyclists beaten the horses as a better
    class of cyclist found this event.

    The course is a tough cross country course with some serious hills.

  17. trembler50

    trembler50 Guest

    Further to my previous post, here is some info on the event:-

    William Hill Man vs Horse Marathon 2004 :

    The twenty-fifth running will take place on June 12th 2004, in Llanwrtyd
    Wells, Mid Wales. £25,000 up for grabs for first runner to beat the
    first horse and rider. ENTRY DETAILS...01591 610270

    HOW IT STARTED - Chatting over a pint one night Neuadd Arms, Landlord
    Gordon Green overheard two men discussing the relative merits of man and
    horse. After several pints one was brave (or foolish!) enough to suggest
    that over a significant distance across country, man was equal to any
    horse. After several more pints, the inevitable challenge was made, at
    which point Gordon decided that rather than this be a private argument,
    it should be put to the test in full public view. This is exactly what
    has happened every year since then. It transpires that there is a
    historic precedent for this event. Early in the 18th century, one Guto
    Nyth-Bran is reported to have raced against a horse in Cardiganshire and
    won the race. (Incidentally, we would strongly advise all wives,
    husbands or lovers to refrain from slapping their loved-ones on the back
    should he or she win the race, since this is how poor Guto met his
    untimely death after one such race!) The actual pitting of man against
    horse in a marathon, though, appears to be unique to the annual event in
    Llanwrtyd Wells. The first race took place in June 1980. In 1982 the
    course was changed to provide a more even match between horse and runner
    and in 2000 the fastest horse beat the runner by only 80 seconds!

    AND THEN MOUNTAIN BIKES - In 1985 mountain bikes were introduced to the
    race and Jacqui Phelan, US Ladies' Champion, was just minutes behind the
    first horse. In 1989 Tim Gould, Cycles Peugeot UK, beat the horse by
    nearly 3 minutes. This was the first time the winning horse had been
    beaten by a mountain cyclist and Tim won £5,000 from William Hill for
    his fine achievement. The bookies also had to pay out a bonus in 1995
    and 1996 when a relay team came home ahead of the first horse.

    Unfortunately mountain bikes have not been allowed to participate in the
    races held since 1994 because of an anomaly in the law, which forbids
    bicycles to race on bridleways. The department of Transport has
    recognised this and proposals to change the law are being sought. Once
    the law has been changed, bikes will again be allowed to participate in
    the marathon itself and race against runners and horses.

    TO WATCH THE RACE - Vantage point details for spectators will be
    available on the day. The organisers would be most grateful if
    spectators would respect the generosity of the landowners in allowing
    the event to take place over their land by keeping all cars on the road.

    AND FINALLY - BOOST YOUR ENERGY - The organisers will be holding a
    pasta party on the Friday evening before the race at the Neuadd Arms in
    the centre of Llanwrtyd Wells. This stamina boosting food is free of
    charge to all competitors. The party starts at 7pm and finishes at 9pm
    - so make sure you arrive on time and have your entry receipt ready.
    All competitors will receive their entry as confirmation of their place
    in the race.

  18. K&C Russell

    K&C Russell Guest

    "trembler50" <usenet-forum@cyclingforums.com> wrote in message
    > Man Vs Horse has been run over a 22 mile course in the UK for the last
    > twenty odd years.
    >
    > A runner has never beaten the winning horse yet, despite a substanatial
    > prize being offered.
    >
    > Only in the last few years have cyclists beaten the horses as a better
    > class of cyclist found this event.
    >
    > The course is a tough cross country course with some serious hills.

    Check this out over 80kms
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/animals/newsid_1804000/1804830.stm

    Kevin

  19. Andy G

    Andy G Guest

    sounds good, got a url for a website?
    over what distance?
    what conditions?

    having ridden mtb over places where horses go, i know they can really chew a
    track up.
    light Mud and sand are great for horses.
    not for bikes or, i presume, runners.
> [...]
    > the law has been changed, bikes will again be allowed to participate in
    > the marathon itself and race against runners and horses.
    >
    > TO WATCH THE RACE - Vantage point details for spectators will be
    > available on the day. The organisers would be most grateful if
    > spectators would respect the generosity of the landowners in allowing
    > the event to take place over their land by keeping all cars on the road.
    >
    > AND FINALLY - BOOST YOUR ENERGY - The organisers will be holding a
    > pasta party on the Friday evening before the race at the Neuadd Arms in
    > the centre of Llanwrtyd Wells. This stamina boosting food is free of
    > charge to all competitors. The party starts at 7pm and finishes at 9pm
    > - so make sure you arrive on time and have your entry receipt ready.
    > All competitors will receive their entry as confirmation of their place

  20. DarenMullins

    DarenMullins New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2012
    It seems that in equine endurance races, often won by Arabian horses which are strong in distance events, the horse averages in the low 20's mph for a 100 mile race. I assume that they can go faster for shorter distances. However, based on this I'd say the cyclist easily. For a marathon, the horse would win but it would be a closer race.