Man on bike vs man on horse - which is faster?

David S. Maddison

Guest
Consider a man on a bike in a competition against man on a horse. Who
do you think would win and under what circumstances. I am conisering
all types of horses, terrain and bikes. E.g. Mountain bikes over rough
ground on dirt tracks or a buitumen road with the horse running on
grass alongside.

David

"David S. Maddison" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> Consider a man on a bike in a competition against man on a horse. Who
> do you think would win and under what circumstances. I am conisering
> all types of horses, terrain and bikes. E.g. Mountain bikes over rough
> ground on dirt tracks or a buitumen road with the horse running on
> grass alongside.

My money is on:
Horse uphill over rough terrain
Bike downhill road and off-road
Flat would be tough - depends on distance?

Try googling for it or maybe the Guiness Book would
have some speed figures?

hth
hippy

No question that horse wins every time over anything than about 50 metres,
but then again I guess that depends on what type of horse and what type of
terrain...

"David S. Maddison" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> Consider a man on a bike in a competition against man on a horse. Who
> do you think would win and under what circumstances. I am conisering
> all types of horses, terrain and bikes. E.g. Mountain bikes over rough
> ground on dirt tracks or a buitumen road with the horse running on
> grass alongside.
>
> David

I reckons that I would put all my money on the horse in all catagories with
the odds being smaller on the downhill...I guess it depends on steepness and
terrain unless insanity prevails, but unless you can average 60kph on the
flat on a bike the horse has little competition and as far as uphill is
concerned...1 horsepower compared to 1 manpower.....again..very little
competition irrespective of how many gears you have, and the horse will
climb a steeper grade than you'll ever pedal a cycle up...and it can jump
logs better too..........a motorbike yes...a bicycle...sorry!!

I'll take your money on the bike though hehhe

DJ

"David S. Maddison" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> Consider a man on a bike in a competition against man on a horse. Who
> do you think would win and under what circumstances. I am conisering
> all types of horses, terrain and bikes. E.g. Mountain bikes over rough
> ground on dirt tracks or a buitumen road with the horse running on
> grass alongside.
>
> David

well, any distance under 5 km the horse will win. usually... but....
over that and the horse will die trying to catch up.

when was the last time you saw a horse race or event over 20 km.
they have to have bike races that length just to sort the men from the boys.

terrain to suit. soft sand will kill the bike.
over distance, the bike creams it in.

there have been several horse vs man races, the man often wins by drafting
then sprinting.
"DJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I reckons that I would put all my money on the horse in all catagories

with
> the odds being smaller on the downhill...I guess it depends on steepness

and
> terrain unless insanity prevails, but unless you can average 60kph on the
> flat on a bike the horse has little competition and as far as uphill is
> concerned...1 horsepower compared to 1 manpower.....again..very little
> competition irrespective of how many gears you have, and the horse will
> climb a steeper grade than you'll ever pedal a cycle up...and it can jump
> logs better too..........a motorbike yes...a bicycle...sorry!!
>
> I'll take your money on the bike though hehhe
>
> DJ
>

> "David S. Maddison" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
> >

> > Consider a man on a bike in a competition against man on a horse. Who
> > do you think would win and under what circumstances. I am conisering
> > all types of horses, terrain and bikes. E.g. Mountain bikes over rough
> > ground on dirt tracks or a buitumen road with the horse running on
> > grass alongside.
> >
> > David

Not sure about that. I believe 35 miles a day was considered good for a
horse. Even I can do that easily on a bike.

SM wrote:

>No question that horse wins every time over anything than about 50 metres,
>but then again I guess that depends on what type of horse and what type of
>terrain...
>
>"David S. Maddison" <[email protected]> wrote in
>message news:[email protected]...
>

>>Consider a man on a bike in a competition against man on a horse. Who
>>do you think would win and under what circumstances. I am conisering
>>all types of horses, terrain and bikes. E.g. Mountain bikes over rough
>>ground on dirt tracks or a buitumen road with the horse running on
>>grass alongside.
>>
>>David

"Andy G" wrote

> there have been several horse vs man races, the man often wins by

drafting
> then sprinting.

A draft horse?

:)

Theo

In article <[email protected]>,
David S. Maddison <[email protected]> wrote:

> Consider a man on a bike in a competition against man on a horse. Who
> do you think would win and under what circumstances. I am conisering
> all types of horses, terrain and bikes. E.g. Mountain bikes over rough
> ground on dirt tracks or a buitumen road with the horse running on
> grass alongside.
>
> David

I have read the responses to date and disagree with the opinions about
how far horses can travel.
There are a number of endurance races for horse and rider in Australia
and overseas.
The typical event covers 200 km over two days (100 km each day). The
horses are restricted from going any further each day and must pass a
number of veterinary inspections along the route to gain approval to
continue.
Having dispelled that myth, I believe a man on a mountain bike or
cyclo-cross bike would keep up quite easily over long distances.
I even think that a man running would cover the 100 km in less time and
still back up the next day to do it again as long as he did not have to
stop for medical inspections. In case you do not follow the running
scene the world 24-hour record is held by an Australian with 303 km in
24 hours. Humans have incredible endurance.

cheers,
Darryl

Andy G wrote:
> there have been several horse vs man races, the man often wins by drafting
> then sprinting.

Drafting behind a horse....? Ever cleaned out a stable? Pheeee - ewww!

&roo

David S. Maddison wrote:

> Consider a man on a bike in a competition against man on a horse. Who
> do you think would win and under what circumstances. I am conisering
> all types of horses, terrain and bikes. E.g. Mountain bikes over rough
> ground on dirt tracks or a buitumen road with the horse running on
> grass alongside.
>
> David

Steve Hogg said yesterday at the Sydney bike show that an endurance
runner (i.e. not even on a bike) can outrun a horse in terms of distance
covered. If this is true, the horse would have no hope against a bike,
provided the terrain was fit for cycling on.

&roo

"darryl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:r%[email protected]...
> There are a number of endurance races for horse and rider in Australia
> and overseas.
> The typical event covers 200 km over two days (100 km each day). The
> horses are restricted from going any further each day and must pass a
> number of veterinary inspections along the route to gain approval to
> continue.

Yeah, I've seen coverage of one of these events on TV. It's very big
in the middle-east and I think they were saying it was Aussie horses
that are the current leaders or at least rivaling the Arab horses.
But, from what I saw, the speed they were tavelling at would _easily_
be exceeded by a person on a bike, probably a runner too.

hippy

"Andrew Swan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> David S. Maddison wrote:
> >
> > Consider a man on a bike in a competition against man on a horse. Who
> > do you think would win and under what circumstances. I am conisering
> > all types of horses, terrain and bikes. E.g. Mountain bikes over rough
> > ground on dirt tracks or a buitumen road with the horse running on
> > grass alongside.
> >
> > David
> >

> Steve Hogg said yesterday at the Sydney bike show that an endurance
> runner (i.e. not even on a bike) can outrun a horse in terms of distance
> covered. If this is true, the horse would have no hope against a bike,
> provided the terrain was fit for cycling on.

Unless the horse's name is TRIGGER!! hehe

DJ
> &roo

"Andy G" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> well, any distance under 5 km the horse will win. usually... but....
> over that and the horse will die trying to catch up.
>
> when was the last time you saw a horse race or event over 20 km.

You need to get out more, I have seen horse "events" go for weeks, riding
across country, albeit not often galloping all the way... :)

--
Trevor S

-Albert Einstein

David S. Maddison <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Consider a man on a bike in a competition against man on a horse. Who
> do you think would win and under what circumstances. I am conisering
> all types of horses, terrain and bikes. E.g. Mountain bikes over rough
> ground on dirt tracks or a buitumen road with the horse running on
> grass alongside.
>
> David

A horse on a race track will do 1 km in just under a minute, standing start
A cyclist on a velodrome will do it just on a minute, standing start

Now a horse on a bike could not be beaten over a 1 km. That I'd like to see !!

"rickster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> David S. Maddison <[email protected]> wrote in

message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Consider a man on a bike in a competition against man on a horse. Who
> > do you think would win and under what circumstances. I am conisering
> > all types of horses, terrain and bikes. E.g. Mountain bikes over rough
> > ground on dirt tracks or a buitumen road with the horse running on
> > grass alongside.
> >
> > David

> A horse on a race track will do 1 km in just under a minute, standing

start
> A cyclist on a velodrome will do it just on a minute, standing start
>
> Now a horse on a bike could not be beaten over a 1 km. That I'd like to

see !!

Yes, but the longer the event the more easily a horse is out run by a man on
foot, let alone a bike. they do not have the endurance to compete.

Kevin

Man Vs Horse has been run over a 22 mile course in the UK for the last
twenty odd years.

A runner has never beaten the winning horse yet, despite a substanatial
prize being offered.

Only in the last few years have cyclists beaten the horses as a better
class of cyclist found this event.

The course is a tough cross country course with some serious hills.

Further to my previous post, here is some info on the event:-

William Hill Man vs Horse Marathon 2004 :

The twenty-fifth running will take place on June 12th 2004, in Llanwrtyd
Wells, Mid Wales. £25,000 up for grabs for first runner to beat the
first horse and rider. ENTRY DETAILS...01591 610270

HOW IT STARTED - Chatting over a pint one night Neuadd Arms, Landlord
Gordon Green overheard two men discussing the relative merits of man and
horse. After several pints one was brave (or foolish!) enough to suggest
that over a significant distance across country, man was equal to any
horse. After several more pints, the inevitable challenge was made, at
which point Gordon decided that rather than this be a private argument,
it should be put to the test in full public view. This is exactly what
has happened every year since then. It transpires that there is a
historic precedent for this event. Early in the 18th century, one Guto
Nyth-Bran is reported to have raced against a horse in Cardiganshire and
won the race. (Incidentally, we would strongly advise all wives,
husbands or lovers to refrain from slapping their loved-ones on the back
should he or she win the race, since this is how poor Guto met his
untimely death after one such race!) The actual pitting of man against
horse in a marathon, though, appears to be unique to the annual event in
Llanwrtyd Wells. The first race took place in June 1980. In 1982 the
course was changed to provide a more even match between horse and runner
and in 2000 the fastest horse beat the runner by only 80 seconds!

AND THEN MOUNTAIN BIKES - In 1985 mountain bikes were introduced to the
race and Jacqui Phelan, US Ladies' Champion, was just minutes behind the
first horse. In 1989 Tim Gould, Cycles Peugeot UK, beat the horse by
nearly 3 minutes. This was the first time the winning horse had been
beaten by a mountain cyclist and Tim won £5,000 from William Hill for
his fine achievement. The bookies also had to pay out a bonus in 1995
and 1996 when a relay team came home ahead of the first horse.

Unfortunately mountain bikes have not been allowed to participate in the
races held since 1994 because of an anomaly in the law, which forbids
bicycles to race on bridleways. The department of Transport has
recognised this and proposals to change the law are being sought. Once
the law has been changed, bikes will again be allowed to participate in
the marathon itself and race against runners and horses.

TO WATCH THE RACE - Vantage point details for spectators will be
available on the day. The organisers would be most grateful if
spectators would respect the generosity of the landowners in allowing
the event to take place over their land by keeping all cars on the road.

AND FINALLY - BOOST YOUR ENERGY - The organisers will be holding a
pasta party on the Friday evening before the race at the Neuadd Arms in
the centre of Llanwrtyd Wells. This stamina boosting food is free of
charge to all competitors. The party starts at 7pm and finishes at 9pm
- so make sure you arrive on time and have your entry receipt ready.
All competitors will receive their entry as confirmation of their place
in the race.

"trembler50" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Man Vs Horse has been run over a 22 mile course in the UK for the last
> twenty odd years.
>
> A runner has never beaten the winning horse yet, despite a substanatial
> prize being offered.
>
> Only in the last few years have cyclists beaten the horses as a better
> class of cyclist found this event.
>
> The course is a tough cross country course with some serious hills.

Check this out over 80kms
http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/animals/newsid_1804000/1804830.stm

Kevin

sounds good, got a url for a website?
over what distance?
what conditions?

having ridden mtb over places where horses go, i know they can really chew a
track up.
light Mud and sand are great for horses.
not for bikes or, i presume, runners.
> [...]
> the law has been changed, bikes will again be allowed to participate in
> the marathon itself and race against runners and horses.
>
> TO WATCH THE RACE - Vantage point details for spectators will be
> available on the day. The organisers would be most grateful if
> spectators would respect the generosity of the landowners in allowing
> the event to take place over their land by keeping all cars on the road.
>
> AND FINALLY - BOOST YOUR ENERGY - The organisers will be holding a
> pasta party on the Friday evening before the race at the Neuadd Arms in
> the centre of Llanwrtyd Wells. This stamina boosting food is free of
> charge to all competitors. The party starts at 7pm and finishes at 9pm
> - so make sure you arrive on time and have your entry receipt ready.
> All competitors will receive their entry as confirmation of their place

It seems that in equine endurance races, often won by Arabian horses which are strong in distance events, the horse averages in the low 20's mph for a 100 mile race. I assume that they can go faster for shorter distances. However, based on this I'd say the cyclist easily. For a marathon, the horse would win but it would be a closer race.