Mike Vandeman Poll

Jim Roberts <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> R.White wrote:
>
> > Jim Roberts <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...

> >>I never needed a eunuch to guard my harem. They were
> >>tough enough to guard themselves; I settle for nothing
> >>less, as I have an intellectual kingdom to rule. They
> >>would eat MV for a light lunch.
> >

> > Newsflash Jimbo, a bunch of greasy haired geeks
> > masturbating to Einstien's Theory of Relativity does
> > constitute a harem.
>
> And does their jism spell out E=Mc^2?

You tell me.

> I was never able to get enough control to do that while
> thinking of his marvellous derivation.

Then you just are not geek enough!

Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 4 Mar 2004 08:29:15 -0800, [email protected]
> (Jonesy) wrote:

[snip]

> .The "typical" mountain biker around these parts might
> go out for a .5-10 mile round trip ride. The ones that I
> go out with are in that .group. Beginners and hobbyists
> ride for much less than that (from my .experience) and
> mostly on trails shared with hikers. Lesson: the .vast
> majority of MTBers around here go no further "out" than
> the .hikers, and ride about as far as the "typical"
> hiker walks.
>
> So you are saying that they are satisfied with a much
> shorter (time-wise) trip?

They seem to be. I am observing them, and none of the
beginners or intermediates seem to complain much about the
amount of distance travelled.

In terms of time - what makes you think it's shorter? I'm
talking mileage, not elapsed time.

> VERY unlikely.

I have not seen you there - how can you have an opinion as
to the mindset of the participants?

> .While some MTBers that hang out in the newsgroups might
> ride 10-20 .miles 3-4 times/week, they are a very small
> percentage of the total .population of folks who actually
> ride on the trails. AFAIK, I am the .only local who
> actually hangs out in USENET. Oddly, I ride a lot more
> .than those other guys. . .The basis for science is
> observation. "Observing" USENET denizens for .accurate,
> representative trail useage info is not science. From
> .direct observation of the mountain biker/hiker useage in
> this area, .the "damage" being done by hikers is very
> roughly ten times what is .done by MTBers.
>
> You are lying.

A baseless assertion.

> MTBers' own ride advertisements announce rides from 17 to
> 60 miles, MUCH farther than any hiker travels.

Please provide data that contradicts what I have previously
written, including said "advertisements." Show how these
folks make up more than 0.1% of the MTBing population. BTW,
I know of two people who have hiked over 100 miles in the
course of a work-week. Thus, your "any hiker" claim
evaporates.

Shall we predict when I get to read from you the famous
capitulation:

"Did you say something?"
--
R.F. Jones

Jim Roberts <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> R.White wrote:
>
> [...]
>

> > Hey, that's pretty good coming from a person who wrote
> > "Eimstein" and posted this gibberish:
> >
> > "Yes, my omly cousin lives in Big Sur, amd when she
> > deigns to see me it's sn educstion."
>
> I'm a terrible typist, though I used to be good 30 years
> ago when I had an office Olympia, which my wife made me
> get rid of when we moved East. I typed two theses, several
> papers, and many political letters on that marvellous
> machine, as well as a dozen proposals to NOVA, all but one
> accepted, as they already had something like it in the
> works. But it was the Reagan depression, and I couldn't
> get any money for them, especially as I was a mere PhD
> astrophysicist and not a filmmaker, well I made one on
> black holes, before most astrophysicists, including

> beyond all recognition.

Jim, I'll be serious for a minute and offer you this bit of
advice. You do what you want with it.

When someone flames you, you really need not go into some
real, sincere explanation of why you did this and that.

Yes, I know you know how to spell, I was being sarcastic. I
noticed in some other replies to sarcasm, you felt as
thought the poster was serious and did the same thing. It's
a flame fest Jim. You're in the middle of the fire. Get with
it. Leave the geek aside and done your fire retardent
Underoos and fire back.

> So I moved on to mountaineering and marriage.

OMG, mountaineering? Now there's a sport that hasn't damaged
the environment. (See, that's sarcasm) There's something
like 40 tons of trash on Mt. Everest alone. In 1987, an
American team left almost a ton of trash strewn about,
including baseball bats, Frisbees, dozens of empty beer
cans, and liquor and champagne bottles. Base Camp IV is
littered with thousands of empty oxygen bottles, spent fuel
canisters, batteries, shredded tents, and other discarded
mountaineering equipment.

> Much better. The producer of NOVA at that time Michael
> Something, asked me if we should get into bed together. I
> had no response to that, though I have gathered later it's
> typical movie talk.

Are you sure? Sounds kind of gay to me. (sarcasm)

> Sometimes I'm in a hurry and forget to proofread. You know
> perfectly well that I know how to spell all those words. I
> suppose you would like to insult Hawking, too, for the
> difficulties he has in writing?

Nah, "Son Of The Beach" made enough fun of him.

>I won spelling bees all through school, and I could still
>compete on a national level. But they don't take 62-yr-
>old geezers.

You do know there's an age limit in some of these
newsgroups?

S o r n i wrote:

> Jim Roberts wrote:
>
>>S o r n i wrote:

>>>The periods are Mr. Vandesad's, moron. You may be
>>>educated (stress *may*), but you're as stupid as
>>>they come.
>>>
>>>Bill "your ex-wife had periods, too" S.
>>>

>>Yeah, well, how do you figure we had two kids; who don't
>>have my brains but her athletic ability? For a time I was
>>suspicious, but they showed some of my characters, and
>>there was no one in our house who tried to seduce her
>>besides my brother and my father.
>

> Please don't ever leave Usenet.
>
> Bill "one-man Peyton Place" S.

I've never seen the spurious periods in his posts, so I
presume they are yours.

jimbat

R.White wrote:

> Jim Roberts <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>R.White wrote:
>>

>>>Jim Roberts <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:<[email protected]>...

>>>Newsflash Jimbo, a bunch of greasy haired geeks
>>>masturbating to Einstien's Theory of Relativity does
>>>constitute a harem.
>>
>>And does their jism spell out E=Mc^2?
>

> You tell me.
>

>>I was never able to get enough control to do that while
>>thinking of his marvellous derivation.
>

> Then you just are not geek enough!

No, YOU tell ME, since this seems to be your area of
expertise. *I* certainly didn't bring it up, but I sure put
you down. About 1.5" now??

jimbat

R.White wrote:

> Jim Roberts <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>R.White wrote:
>>
>>[...]
>>

>>>Hey, that's pretty good coming from a person who wrote
>>>"Eimstein" and posted this gibberish:
>>>
>>>"Yes, my omly cousin lives in Big Sur, amd when she
>>>deigns to see me it's sn educstion."
>>
>>I'm a terrible typist, though I used to be good 30 years
>>ago when I had an office Olympia, which my wife made me
>>get rid of when we moved East. I typed two theses, several
>>papers, and many political letters on that marvellous
>>machine, as well as a dozen proposals to NOVA, all but one
>>accepted, as they already had something like it in the
>>works. But it was the Reagan depression, and I couldn't
>>get any money for them, especially as I was a mere PhD
>>astrophysicist and not a filmmaker. Well I made one on
>>black holes, before most astrophysicists, including

>>beyond all recognition.
>

> Jim, I'll be serious for a minute and offer you this bit
> of advice. You do what you want with it.
>
> When someone flames you, you really need not go into some
> real, sincere explanation of why you did this and that.

I know, but I have such an urge to explaim things
sccurstely, that it is hsrd to resist. I have received
many letters telling me to ignore this and that SOB, some
including you. I follow some advice in the most egregious
and incorrigible cases, but you are hslf on snd hslf off,
so I think you have a desire to learn, and I can
certainly tesch.

> Yes, I know you know how to spell, I was being sarcastic.
> I noticed in some other replies to sarcasm, you felt as
> thought the poster was serious and did the same thing.
> It's a flame fest Jim. You're in the middle of the fire.
> Get with it. Leave the geek aside and done your fire
> retardent Underoos and fire back.

I hsve no Hobbit toes. Check the previous paragraph.

>>So I moved on to mountaineering and marriage.
>

> OMG, mountaineering? Now there's a sport that hasn't
> damaged the environment. (See, that's sarcasm) There's
> something like 40 tons of trash on Mt. Everest alone. In
> 1987, an American team left almost a ton of trash strewn
> about, including baseball bats, Frisbees, dozens of empty
> beer cans, and liquor and champagne bottles. Base Camp IV

There's only one Base Camp; there is a Camp IV, which means
that garbage collectors will need to be accomplished,
selfless mountaineers. Nepal and China should pay for it.

> is littered with thousands of empty oxygen bottles, spent
> fuel canisters, batteries, shredded tents, and other
> discarded mountaineering equipment.

No trip I was on in the Sierra left a damned thing behind,
besides ****. There are trips to the various 8000 meter base
camps to collect the garbsge "irresponsibly" or
irretrievably left behind - oxygen cannisters, tents and
such, whatever the sherpas and Balts do not collect for
themselves. I asked Ridegway about this near the North
Palisade, since both he and Chouinard are very
environmentally involved. For K2 he said that anyone who had
attempted the peak had barely the energy to get themselves
out, so he was organizing garbage-collection trips, as he
was not going back there again himself.

Too many trips have been allowed, since Nepal and China need
the money, or think they do. For some time I've advocated
that every trip's fee include the cost of hauling their
garbsge out. But I have no voice, never having attempted an
8000 meter peak, and with no intention of doing so. If I
ever got the hare-brained idea (unfair to hares) of doing
so, my wife would require me to dispose of my thousands of
books and notebooks, and to make "final arrangements".
Unlike Messner, I find marriage to be much more fulfilling
than that.

>>Much better. The producer of NOVA at that time Michael
>>Something, asked me if we should get into bed together. I
>>had no response to that, though I have gathered later it's
>>typical movie talk.
>

> Are you sure? Sounds kind of gay to me. (sarcasm)
>

>>Sometimes I'm in a hurry and forget to proofread. You know
>>perfectly well that I know how to spell all those words. I
>>suppose you would like to insult Hawking, too, for the
>>difficulties he has in writing?
>

> Nah, "Son Of The Beach" made enough fun of him.

Hawking is one of the funniest men I have ever met. He made
a regrettable decision to divorce his devoted wife Jane and
marry his nurse, who now seems to be abusing him. Jane, now
remarried (I'd have married her in an instant - such a
woman!), is suing to get him better care.

>>I won spelling bees all through school, and I could still
>>compete on a national level. But they don't take 62-yr-old
>>geezers.
>

> You do know there's an age limit in some of these
> newsgroups?

jimbat

"Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> If there is ANYBODY that thinks Mike is a remotely
> reasonable and balanced advocate for the environment,
> speak up now.

You guys are drawn to Mike like flies to ****. It's amazing.
He's really got you going! I guess I should actually read
some of his threads to see what he advocates.

Dave

onefred wrote:

> I guess I should actually read some of [MV's] threads to
> see what he advocates.
>
>Dave

Ya surveys one thread & ya's surveyed 'em all.

Pete H

--
Gadarene swine, example of: Just because the group is in
formation does not mean the group is headed in the right

onefred wrote:

>[Some posters are] drawn to Mike like flies to ****.

Very apt.

Pete H

--

The Ent wrote:

> onefred wrote:
>
>> I guess I should actually read some of [MV's] threads to
>> see what he advocates.
>>
>> Dave
>>

> Ya surveys one thread & ya's surveyed 'em all.
>
> Pete H

Don't bother. You will either laugh your head off or
get ******.

jimbat

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 17:54:23 GMT, Jim Roberts <[email protected]> wrote:

. . .S o r n i wrote: . .> Mike Vandeman wrote: .> .>>On
Mon, 08 Mar 2004 01:00:23 GMT, Jim Roberts
.>><[email protected]> wrote: .> .> .>>.I never needed
a eunuch to guard my harem. They were tough enough to
.>>.guard themselves; I settle for nothing less, as I have
an .>>intellectual .kingdom to rule. They would eat MV for a
light lunch. .>> .>>Too bad they can't protect you HERE. You
apear just as you are: a guy .>>with lots of education, but
ZERO sense and ZERO honesty. .> .> .> Finally!!! M^V speaks
with some first-hand knowledge of his subject!!! .> .> Bill
"two flakes make a blizzard" S. . .Vandeman woulnd't know me
from Thomas Jefferson, and neither would you. .

.reader, moron.

What are you talking about? There's nothing wrong with using
periods. Unless they confuse people like you who can't deal
with diversity.

.jimbat . .

===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits
to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the
previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road
construction.)

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 18:43:43 GMT, "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote:

.Jim Roberts wrote:

.> reader, moron. . .The periods are Mr. Vandesad's, moron.
You may be educated (stress *may*), .but you're as stupid as
they come.

AMEN! And DISHONEST.

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 22:34:36 GMT, Jim Roberts <[email protected]> wrote:

. . .S o r n i wrote: . .> Jim Roberts wrote: .>

.>>reader, moron. .> .> .> The periods are Mr. Vandesad's,
moron. You may be educated (stress *may*), .> but you're as
stupid as they come. .> .> Bill "your ex-wife had periods,
too" S. .> .> . .I don't get them from his posts, but
perhaps I have been too irritated .to notice them.

Does the term "idiot savant" mean anything to you?

.Before you call me "moron" again, check your local
university library, .if you are anywhere near one, the
following papers by me, solely. I .give the standadrd cites;
the librarian can help you find them: . .ApJ, *187*, 575
.ApJSupp, *41*, 75 (the piece de resistance you won't have a
clue) . .Bring it on!, as Bush and Kerry say. . .jimbat

===

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 23:03:30 GMT, Jim Roberts <[email protected]> wrote:

. . .S o r n i wrote: . .> Jim Roberts wrote: .>

.>>reader, moron. .> .> .> The periods are Mr. Vandesad's,
moron. You may be educated (stress *may*), .> but you're as
stupid as they come. .> .> Bill "your ex-wife had periods,
too" S. .> .> . .Yeah, well, how do you figure we had two
kids; who don't have my brains .but her athletic ability?
For a time I was suspicious, but they showed .some of my
characters, and there was no one in our house who tried to
.seduce her besides my brother.

You belong on daytime TV, not in a scientific newsgroup like
this one. :)

.jimbat .

===

On 8 Mar 2004 04:43:35 -0800, [email protected] (R.White) wrote:

.Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... .> On
7 Mar 2004 14:38:55 -0800, [email protected] (R.White)
wrote: .> .> .Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
message
news:<[email protected]>... .> .>
On 7 Mar 2004 04:34:41 -0800, [email protected] (R.White)
wrote: .> .> .> .> .Mike Vandeman <[email protected]>
wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... .> .>
.> On 6 Mar 2004 18:27:38 -0800, [email protected]
(R.White) wrote: .> .> .> .> .> .> .Mike Vandeman
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... .> .>
.> .> On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 13:57:03 -0500, Steve Curtiss
<[email protected]> .> .> .> .> wrote: .> .> . .> .>
.> .> .> .> .> .> Nonsense. I don't care, since I win,
either way. You can't refute me if you .> .> .> .> ignore
me, and you can't do it even if you TRY! :) .> .> .> . .>
.> .> .And what exactly do you *win*? .> .> .> .> .> .> I
get to spread the TRUTH about your selfish, destructive
sport, without any of .> .> .> you being able to do
anything to stop it. .> .> . .> .> .I'm in Pennsylvania and
I have yet to see you here spreading anything .> .> .so
that makes you a liar and a loser. .> .> .> .> It spread to
YOU! Liar. .> . .> .Nope, you haven't spread anything to
me. The trails I have ridden on for .> .the last 14 years
are still in the same shape as they were then. No erosion,
.> .> That is impossible. Liar. . .No, it's the truth. You
are the liar. Show me where it has happened. .It's now up
to you to refute my claim. You can't.

I just did. It's impossible to ride a bike with knobby tires
off-road and not cause erosion. It's obvious to everyone but
mountain bikers.

.> .no closings. No conflicts. No selfish, destruction here.
That makes YOU .> .the liar. .> . .> .OTOH, the state
gamelands and surrounding animal habitat affected by the .>
.I-99 project were destroyed while you did nothing, thus
proving what an .> .ineffective eunich you really are. You
lose again as did those poor animals. .> .> What were YOU
doing, besides running over innocent animals & plants? .
.Show me where I did this. You cannot. You are a liar.

It's impossible to ride a bike off-road and not run over
animals and plants. It's obvious to everyone but
mountain bikers.
===

On 8 Mar 2004 04:46:19 -0800, [email protected] (R.White) wrote:

.Jim Roberts <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... .> Fred
Fragger wrote: .> >>It's almost all stadard procedure, which
as a patient I'm glad to hear. .> >> .> >>jimbat .> >> .> >>
.> > .> > Aaahhh, you've had brain surgery! now it's all
beginning to make sense... .> > .> > .> Yes, I got
Einsteins's brain (q.v.). . .And PeeWee Herman's ****.

He doesn't have one. It was confiscated by the vice cops,
for evidence. :)
===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits
to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the
previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road
construction.)

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 18:40:35 GMT, Jim Roberts <[email protected]> wrote:

. . .R.White wrote: . .> Jim Roberts
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... .>
.>>Fred Fragger wrote: .>> .>>>>It's almost all stadard
procedure, which as a patient I'm glad to hear. .>>>>
.>>>>jimbat .>>>> .>>>> .>>> .>>>Aaahhh, you've had brain
surgery! now it's all beginning to make sense... .>>> .>>>
.>> .>>Yes, I got Einsteins's brain (q.v.). .> .> .> And
PeeWee Herman's ****. . .Oh, no, I was able to keep two
wives together very happy on the same .night. The only
concern they had was that I might scare the horses or .wake
up the neighbors. (I broke the KS bed, which was a lot of
work to .fix, and we did sometimes wind up on the floor.)
The latter seems to .have happened a few times, as we
occasionally got some funny looks .heading off to work in
the morning; we all worked at the Space .Telescope. Neither
of them made much noise to my great disappointment.

. .The first day the ST was supposed to go up it was so bad
that I was .hoarse for two weeks. My mother,
misinterpreting, thought I ought to .see a doctor. She
became more and more suspicious, as I could not avoid
.mentioning Katbat, since she had thought of doing such
things when she .was young, so I eventually had to tell her.
Her comment: "That would .have saved me a lot of problems."
I got a lot of judgementalism from my .younger brother, and
my son and daughter ("disgusting" was my daughter's .only
comment, but since I'm pretty sure she's bi- I have no idea
where .she was coming from), but not from my mother who I
thought would have .given me no end of trouble. . .I was in
love with a close lesbian friend of my mother's, Gi (hard
G), .but I'm pretty sure they never made love. When my
mother remarried when .I was 7, I had a **** fit when she
told me that Gi could not come with .us to Alaska, as she
was marrying a minister. . .As time has passed the calls
from old girlfriends has fallen off, which .really used to
annoy my wife, especially when they came at 2-3 am. They
.were from the west coast, and after they had had too much
wine they .forgot about the time difference.

You belong on daytime TV, NOT in an academic setting like
these newsgroups. :)

.jimbat

===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits
to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the
previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road
construction.)

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

news:[email protected]... SNIP
> I just did. It's impossible to ride a bike with knobby
> tires off-road and
not
> cause erosion. It's obvious to everyone but mountain
> bikers.

Close, but still a lie.

SNIP
> It's impossible to ride a bike off-road and not run over
> animals and
plants.
> It's obvious to everyone but mountain bikers.
Even closer, but still a lie.

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 10:20:47 -0600, "onefred" <[email protected]> wrote:

."Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
.news:[email protected]... .> If there is
ANYBODY that thinks Mike is a remotely reasonable and
balanced .> advocate for the environment, speak up now. .
.You guys are drawn to Mike like flies to ****. It's
amazing. He's really .got you going! I guess I should
actually read some of his threads to see .what he
advocates. . .Dave

Glad to see that you are always talking about me, even when
I'm not around! Keep it up! :)
===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits
to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the
previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road
construction.)

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

> Glad to see that you are always talking about me, even
> when I'm not
around! Keep
> it up! :)
> ===
Oh FFS, are you equally glad that most of us talk about you
being a complete and utter ******?

Mike, you're a knob. Most of us only reply to your posts
because it amuses us to bait you and you make us laugh. At
least you did but as far as I'm concerned you're not even
funny anymore, you're just a saddo who needs help. So I
won't be wasting any more time reading your posts - there's
never anything new or original in them anyway.

Goodbye

Fred