Mike Vandeman Poll

Jim Roberts <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<N%[email protected]>...
> Strider wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 02:19:33 GMT, "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> >>Jim Roberts top-posted, making this even MORE nonsensical:

> >>Thanks for clearing things up for us.
> >>
> >>Bill "WTF is an Aragorn" S.
> >>

> > I'd say Jim Roberts is an ass but I hate to demean donkeys in such a manner.
> >
> > Strider
>
> Aven Aragorn had a sense of humor. You don't measure up.
>
> A previous incarnation rode an ass into Jerusalem some time ago during Passover. I've done rather
> well since. Double major in chem and Phys from Harvard, a PhC in physical chemistry, and a PhD in
> astrophysics. Want to butt heads?

That's nice, but 85% of happiness comes from positive interaction with other people. Can't get that
with a PhD. Mike's living proof.

R.White wrote:

> Jim Roberts <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<N%[email protected]>...
>
>>Strider wrote:

>>>I'd say Jim Roberts is an ass but I hate to demean donkeys in such a manner.
>>>
>>>Strider
>>
>>Aven Aragorn had a sense of humor. You don't measure up.
>>
>>A previous incarnation rode an ass into Jerusalem some time ago during Passover. I've done rather
>>well since. Double major in chem and Phys from Harvard, a PhC in physical chemistry, and a PhD in
>>astrophysics. Want to butt heads?
>

> That's nice, but 85% of happiness comes from positive interaction with other people. Can't get
> that with a PhD. Mike's living proof.

Mike's living proof of nothing, except stupidity. He seems to want to butt heads, but he chose the
wrong person. Now *you* go think it through.

jimbat

"Jim Roberts" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> R.White wrote:
>
> > Jim Roberts <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<N%[email protected]>...

> >>Aven Aragorn had a sense of humor. You don't measure up.
> >>
> >>A previous incarnation rode an ass into Jerusalem some time ago during Passover. I've done
> >>rather well since. Double major in chem and Phys from Harvard, a PhC in physical chemistry, and
> >>a PhD in astrophysics. Want to butt heads?
> >

> > That's nice, but 85% of happiness comes from positive interaction with other people. Can't get
> > that with a PhD. Mike's living proof.
>
> Mike's living proof of nothing, except stupidity. He seems to want to butt heads, but he chose the
> wrong person. Now *you* go think it through.
>
> jimbat

And you jump in with a loud chorus of "Mine's bigger than yours...na na na na na na hey hey hey"

"Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> If there is ANYBODY that thinks Mike is a remotely reasonable and balanced advocate for the
> environment, speak up now.

Hey, Jeff?

How about you just add Mike to your killfile? It's pointless to argue with him, and we both know it.
Sure, it's fun for a few minutes, but what does it accomplish?

Here's some observational science:

He says something. Doesn't matter what, because none of what he says matters in the least.

You retort. Doesn't matter what, because your reply is *just as meaningless as his original
comments!*

Why? Because it doesn't changte his mind, make him more careful in his arguments or research, nor
does it demonstrate to anyone else the lack of logic present in Mike's premises/conclusions.

(End observational science.)

The time you spend shouting into the ether is your's to waste, but maybe you could do us a favor (Or
just me, since I don't speak for anyone but myself,) and just ignore Mike? As in, don't give him
more forum or rationale to bash.

We all know that hikers cause more trail damage than MTBers, because of the sheer volume of hikers
vs. MTBers. But both you and I know that once you get past the semantics of the global "hikers" and
global "MTBers", Mike then will change the argument to single-individual impact. He will ALWAYS
change the argument such that it favors his position.

Ask yourself a question, Jeff: what exactly do you hope to accomplish? Is it being accomplished by
banging your head against the MJV wall? Is not the fallacy of his commentary immediately obvious, to
even the most muddle-headed newbie? What can you hope to add, that he has not already done himself?

I'm really serious in these questions, Jeff, because you seem like a decent sort of fellow. If you
haven't noticed, there are a few folks who have expressed an opinion that you'd be wise to just
STFU. While I might agree, I do not think it's any more acceptable to say that than spew the naked
anti-MTB propaganda that Mike does. You seem to use reason, so I'm asking (*asking!*) you to take a
critical view of your writings, and gauge their effectiveness at reaching your goal.

Now, channel your ire at the propaganda into something useful - like a well-reasoned, and well-
researched rebuttal to Mike's missive to Dirt Rag. Write it on paper, and send it to the editors
there. You will be doing something, rather than merely upping the noise level in USENET.

I'd be more than willing to talk to you more in private - e-mail me.
--
R.F. Jones

rfjonesy *at* hotmail *dot* com

Gee, I'll chime in on that vote. I am not overly obsessed. Obsessed, maybe. But never overly
obsessed. ;-)

Mike is a danger to society because he proposes that we close public lands from public access.
Today, his agenda is bicycles, but his real agenda is to erect gates and fences around every acre of
open space. His view is that we should visit a museum to see what nature looks like.

The reason he is so dangerous is that he has somehow managed to gain an audience with like-minded
legislators and other activist whackos.

I come to you from ca.environment, where in three years, I have not seen a single verifiable fact
that he has presented. Yes, I have seen numerous rants and charges of "LIAR," but I have never seen
him engage in anything that remotely resembles a debate, let alone a conversation. I have seen him
present arguments that mountain loins belong in the backyards of suburban Orange County. He claims
that highly localized trail damage extends for miles. He gets other whackos to go along with his
outrageous views, and the result is often a new fence and a locked gate.

It astounds me that you guys can't see that.

Do you realize that for every $20 check that gets sent to places like the Sierra Club, there are
hundreds of guys that drive or ride on the very routes that the Sierra Club is actively looking to
close down. If backcountry users had a network to collect $20 contributions, we could squash the
Sierra Club and retain recreational access to lands that ought to be closed to commercial uses, like
drilling and logging. For every fat-ass with a checkbook and a TV, there are a hundred backcountry
visitors that take it for granted that the access to the backcountry will always be there. The irony
is that the fat-ass with a checkbook and a TV probably visits the backcountry a few times in his
life time, and he has no clue that pretty soon, he won't even be able to get to what it is that he
thinks he is helping to protect. Not only is he locking you out, he is locking himself out. You can
thank men like Mikey for stirring the emotions of the fat-ass with a checkbook and a TV.

The next time you go out, think about my warning.And my obsession. Then come home and find an
antidote to the Sierra Club and mail off your $20 check.

"Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
berlin.de...

> "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > If there is ANYBODY that thinks Mike is a remotely reasonable and
balanced
> > advocate for the environment, speak up now.
>
> If there is ANYBODY that thinks Jeff Strickland is not ridiculously over-obsessed, speak up now.
>

> Shaun aRe

I don't give a rat's ass that I change his mind, or not. What I care about is changing your mind to
not roll over and allow him to steamroll your recreational options into the dust.

It more than 30 years offroading in Southern California, and watching much of the offroad inverntory
get closed down, first on a seasonal basis then later on a year-around basis, I think that we in the
offroading community do not fight for our rights to public access to public lands.

If Mike was 100% effective in his goal, he would protect and preserve less than 0.0004% of the open
spaces, but would close 100% of the spaces you use to gain access to the places you go for
recreation. Think about how unsuccessful he needs to be to be a major player in the recreational
options you and your family have.

I am not here to change Mike's mind. I am here to challenge you to fight back against his mentality.

news:[email protected]...

Jim Roberts <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> R.White wrote:
>
> > Jim Roberts <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<N%[email protected]>...

> >>Aven Aragorn had a sense of humor. You don't measure up.
> >>
> >>A previous incarnation rode an ass into Jerusalem some time ago during Passover. I've done
> >>rather well since. Double major in chem and Phys from Harvard, a PhC in physical chemistry, and
> >>a PhD in astrophysics. Want to butt heads?
> >

> > That's nice, but 85% of happiness comes from positive interaction with other people. Can't get
> > that with a PhD. Mike's living proof.
>
> Mike's living proof of nothing, except stupidity. He seems to want to butt heads, but he chose the
> wrong person. Now *you* go think it through.

Mike's living proof of exactly what I stated. He is unhappy because he cannot have positive
interaction with other people. Looks like *you* didn't think it through.

BTW, those who try and impress seldom do. Think about it.

Jim Roberts <[email protected]> drooled:

> I've done rather well since. Double major in chem and Phys from Harvard, a PhC in physical
> chemistry, and a PhD in astrophysics. Want to butt heads?

I'm so impressed. How'd the postdocs go?

CC

R.White wrote:

> Jim Roberts <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>R.White wrote:
>>

>>>Jim Roberts <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:<N%[email protected]>...

>>>That's nice, but 85% of happiness comes from positive interaction with other people. Can't get
>>>that with a PhD. Mike's living proof.
>>
>>Mike's living proof of nothing, except stupidity. He seems to want to butt heads, but he chose the
>>wrong person. Now *you* go think it through.
>

> Mike's living proof of exactly what I stated. He is unhappy because he cannot have positive
> interaction with other people. Looks like *you* didn't think it through.
>
> BTW, those who try and impress seldom do. Think about it.

Those would be the victims who have dificulty reading.

jimbat

Corvus Corvax wrote:

> Jim Roberts <[email protected]> drooled:
>
>>I've done rather well since. Double major in chem and Phys from Harvard, a PhC in physical
>>chemistry, and a PhD in astrophysics. Want to butt heads?
>

> I'm so impressed. How'd the postdocs go?
>
> CC

Not as well as I'd have liked. I had an offer from Oxford and one from Florida State (good in
theoretical physics because of escapees from Caltech). But my wife was divorcing me and telling me
and the court that if she could fix it I'd never see my kids again. So I turned down the post-docs
to take a visiting associateship at Caltech to do some interestng unpaid research while I worked on
Martian research at the Planetary Science Institute. (I can do 3D photos without a 3D viewer. Try
the one in "The Lives of Lee Miller". I stuck to Caltech to protect my parental rights. This getting
off the academic escalator seriously damaged my career. It didn't do that much good for me, anyway,
as my 1st wife managed over 10 years to poison their minds against me. I no longer know where my
daughter lives, though we were close up to 4 years ago. But she does web sites for the Lincoln
Center, and my impoverished son lives with his mother who runs his life, and he has tried to steal
thousands of dollars from me under false pretenses. Whether we will ever get together as a family
again is quite dubious. My daughter is afraid that I want to molest her, and my son has no interest
in my intellectual interests. They are both in their 30s. I have horrible sadnesses in my life.

jimbat

Jim Roberts <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<N%[email protected]>...
> Strider wrote:
>

> > I'd say Jim Roberts is an ass but I hate to demean donkeys in such a manner.
> >
> > Strider
>
> Aven Aragorn had a sense of humor. You don't measure up.
>
> A previous incarnation rode an ass into Jerusalem some time ago during Passover. I've done rather
> well since. Double major in chem and Phys from Harvard, a PhC in physical chemistry, and a PhD in
> astrophysics. Want to butt heads?

When it comes to buttheads, it seems as though you're the expert. It is quite obvious to me why your
wife divorced you and your kids think little of you. And even after all that drama in your life, you
still need to try and pick fights in USENET - throwing around your alphabet soup like it means
anything to anyone but yourself. I, for one, am not at all impressed. But go right ahead, I'm good
for a flame or three.
--
Jonesy

Jim Roberts wrote:
> Corvus Corvax wrote:
>
>> Jim Roberts <[email protected]> drooled:
>>
>>> I've done rather well since. Double major in chem and Phys from Harvard, a PhC in physical
>>> chemistry, and a PhD in astrophysics. Want to butt heads?
>>

>> I'm so impressed. How'd the postdocs go?
>>
>> CC
>
> Not as well as I'd have liked. I had an offer from Oxford and one from Florida State (good in
> theoretical physics because of escapees from Caltech). But my wife was divorcing me and telling me
> and the court that if she could fix it I'd never see my kids again. So I turned down the post-docs
> to take a visiting associateship at Caltech to do some interestng unpaid research while I worked
> on Martian research at the Planetary Science Institute. (I can do 3D photos without a 3D viewer.
> Try the one in "The Lives of Lee Miller". I stuck to Caltech to protect my parental rights. This
> getting off the academic escalator seriously damaged my career. It didn't do that much good for
> me, anyway, as my 1st wife managed over 10 years to poison their minds against me. I no longer
> know where my daughter lives, though we were close up to 4 years ago. But she does web sites for
> the Lincoln Center, and my impoverished son lives with his mother who runs his life, and he has
> tried to steal thousands of dollars from me under false pretenses. Whether we will ever get
> together as a family again is quite dubious. My daughter is afraid that I want to molest her, and
> my son has no interest in my intellectual interests. They are both in their 30s. I have horrible
> sadnesses in my life.

Well, my hot tub is on the fritz, but I'm still civil to people.

Bill "seems like you should empathize more than criticize" S.

Jim Roberts <[email protected]> wrote:

> A previous incarnation rode an ass into Jerusalem some time ago during Passover. I've done rather
> well since. Double major in chem and Phys from Harvard, a PhC in physical chemistry, and a PhD in
> astrophysics. Want to butt heads?

Jimmy,

In light of that trainwreck of a personal history you cite later in this thread, I wouldn't be so
quick to list your curriculum vitae. All that money spent on education and it doesn't look like you
learned a damn thing of any consequence. First off, few people on Usenet would ever care (at least
on the NG's this thread is in), so it really isn't pertinent --even if it were true. You see, I'm a
brain surgeon who does rocket scientist work for NASA in the evenings, so I can relate. Crowing
about it does little to contribute to the discussion on Usenet. Second, challenging anyone to a
battle of wits in a Mikey V thread is like trying to play Frisbee at a blind picnic. You are merely
confirming that you are nearly as pathological as the eco-twit himself.

Spend a little less time butting heads and more time in family therapy, ya frickin' misfit. Even
better.....STFU and go ride a bike, preferable off-road!

Tom (there, I feel better)

"Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I don't give a rat's ass that I change his mind, or not. What I care about is changing your mind
> to not roll over and allow him to steamroll your recreational options into the dust.

You obviously did not read my posting. All by himself, he will not steamroll anything. Even in the
community sympathetic to his goals, he is a pariah! Have you not been paying attention?

I was asking you some serious questions, and you seem to have blown them off. If you are actually
interested in *doing something* rather than just jerking off in USENET, start by answering some of
my questions.

> It more than 30 years offroading in Southern California, and watching much of the offroad
> inverntory get closed down, first on a seasonal basis then later on a year-around basis, I think
> that we in the offroading community do not fight for our rights to public access to public lands.

Bickering with Mike in the newsgroups is not going to do that. You can now turn your reason on me:
explain how it might be possible to make changes to land use restrictions by bickering in USENET.
Since I can accept logical arguments, you might go ahead and make one. I promise not to change the
subject or engage in logical fallacies.

> If Mike was 100% effective in his goal, he would protect and preserve less than 0.0004% of the
> open spaces, but would close 100% of the spaces you use to gain access to the places you go for
> recreation. Think about how unsuccessful he needs to be to be a major player in the recreational
> options you and your family have.

Wrong. The majority of *my* biking takes place on private, timber company land (how's that for
irony?). The rest takes place on state or county land, and the folks who control access to those
lands are not swayed by over-blown, emotion-laden rants (IME.)

> I am not here to change Mike's mind. I am here to challenge you to fight back against his
> mentality.

You are failing.

1.) Your arguments are addressed to him, in response to his posts.

2.) They fail to do anything but offer further forum for his zealotry.

3.) His arguments are self-defeating, and *do not require YOU to help them along!*

4.) Your continued posting creates noise, reposts his twaddle such that he can circumvent killfiles
(by proxy) and elucidates nothing.

I understand that arguing with him makes you feel good. Like you are "doing something." But you
aren't. After reading his (and your) **** for these few years, I don't see anything but, well, ****.

Maybe you can explain how my request is unreasonable in the face of my commentary. Or better yet,
if it is the mind-set against which you argue, then maybe you should pick a few key nuggets of Vande-
**** from his website and just post those when he goes off. Snip all his spewings so that nobody
has to read it, and point out his website as the failure it is. Any logical, even-minded person
can see that Mike is nothing more than a egocentric religious zealot. All they have to do is read
his website.

If Mike is a clown, what does that make the person who argues with him? I'm serious, Jeff - your anti-
MJV rants are getting stale. Starting actually *doing something.*
--
R.F. Jones

"Jim Roberts" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Corvus Corvax wrote:
>
> > Jim Roberts <[email protected]> drooled:
> >
> >>I've done rather well since. Double major in chem and Phys from Harvard, a PhC in physical
> >>chemistry, and a PhD in astrophysics. Want to butt heads?
> >

> > I'm so impressed. How'd the postdocs go?
> >
> > CC
>
> Not as well as I'd have liked. I had an offer from Oxford and one from Florida State (good in
> theoretical physics because of escapees from Caltech). But my wife was divorcing me and telling me
> and the court that if she could fix it I'd never see my kids again. So I turned down the post-docs
> to take a visiting associateship at Caltech to do some interestng unpaid research while I worked
> on Martian research at the Planetary Science Institute. (I can do 3D photos without a 3D viewer.
> Try the one in "The Lives of Lee Miller". I stuck to Caltech to protect my parental rights. This
> getting off the academic escalator seriously damaged my career. It didn't do that much good for
> me, anyway, as my 1st wife managed over 10 years to poison their minds against me. I no longer
> know where my daughter lives, though we were close up to 4 years ago. But she does web sites for
> the Lincoln Center, and my impoverished son lives with his mother who runs his life, and he has
> tried to steal thousands of dollars from me under false pretenses. Whether we will ever get
> together as a family again is quite dubious. My daughter is afraid that I want to molest her, and
> my son has no interest in my intellectual interests. They are both in their 30s. I have horrible
> sadnesses in my life.
>
> jimbat

And to think, now you are causing erosion on a complete other planet. Sheesh! Can't you screw up ONE
planet and leave the others alone? <end - sick sense of humor

"Jonesy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I don't give a rat's ass that I change his mind, or not. What I care
about
> > is changing your mind to not roll over and allow him to steamroll your recreational options into
> > the dust.
>
> You obviously did not read my posting. All by himself, he will not steamroll anything. Even in the
> community sympathetic to his goals, he is a pariah! Have you not been paying attention?

Yes, I did read your post. I may have missed something, but I read it.

> I was asking you some serious questions, and you seem to have blown them off. If you are actually
> interested in *doing something* rather than just jerking off in USENET, start by answering some of
> my questions.

I'll see if I can address them.

> > It more than 30 years offroading in Southern California, and watching
much
> > of the offroad inverntory get closed down, first on a seasonal basis
then
> > later on a year-around basis, I think that we in the offroading
community do
> > not fight for our rights to public access to public lands.
>
> Bickering with Mike in the newsgroups is not going to do that. You can now turn your reason on me:
> explain how it might be possible to make changes to land use restrictions by bickering in USENET.
> Since I can accept logical arguments, you might go ahead and make one. I promise not to change the
> subject or engage in logical fallacies.

Bickering with Mike may not do anything, but just because Mike himself is a useless cause, we should
all recognize the pattern that he follows, and work to derail him at every opportunity.

> > If Mike was 100% effective in his goal, he would protect and preserve
less
> > than 0.0004% of the open spaces, but would close 100% of the spaces you
use
> > to gain access to the places you go for recreation. Think about how unsuccessful he needs to be
> > to be a major player in the recreational
options
> > you and your family have.
>
> Wrong. The majority of *my* biking takes place on private, timber company land (how's that for
> irony?). The rest takes place on state or county land, and the folks who control access to those
> lands are not swayed by over-blown, emotion-laden rants (IME.)

Maybe *you* personally is a poor example of my particular obsession, but bike riders in general fit
pretty well into the circumstance that I have illustrated.

*You* personally fit pretty well also, despite your claims otherwise. I would not want you to think
that your county and state lands are protected from the moronic MV, because the administrators of
these lands are precisely the targets of his lunacy.

> > I am not here to change Mike's mind. I am here to challenge you to fight back against his
> > mentality.
>
> You are failing.
>
> 1.) Your arguments are addressed to him, in response to his posts.
>
> 2.) They fail to do anything but offer further forum for his zealotry.
>
> 3.) His arguments are self-defeating, and *do not require YOU to help them along!*
>
> 4.) Your continued posting creates noise, reposts his twaddle such that he can circumvent
> killfiles (by proxy) and elucidates nothing.
>
> I understand that arguing with him makes you feel good. Like you are "doing something." But
> you aren't. After reading his (and your) **** for these few years, I don't see anything but,
> well, ****.

Maybe you should consider getting to the land use meetings and voicing opposition to people that
think just like Mike, and have the ability to pursuade the lands adminsitrators (county, state, and
fed) to limit access to your sport of mountain biking. I am not even a mountain biker, and I
recognize the threat to your sport. I stand up for your sport because my sport is in the firing line
as well. Perhaps my sport is in even more danger, but the zealot Vandeman, is so narrow minded that
he just doesn't get it.

His goal is to make both of us stay at home on any given weekend, instead of go out for some fresh
air away from the city lights.

> Maybe you can explain how my request is unreasonable in the face of my commentary. Or better yet,
> if it is the mind-set against which you argue, then maybe you should pick a few key nuggets of Vande-
> **** from his website and just post those when he goes off. Snip all his spewings so that nobody
> has to read it, and point out his website as the failure it is. Any logical, even-minded person
> can see that Mike is nothing more than a egocentric religious zealot. All they have to do is read
> his website.
>
> If Mike is a clown, what does that make the person who argues with him? I'm serious, Jeff - your
> anti-MJV rants are getting stale. Starting actually *doing something.*

See you at the next land use meeting.

On 2 Mar 2004 09:48:06 -0800, [email protected] (Jonesy) wrote:

."Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... .> If there is ANYBODY that thinks Mike is a remotely
reasonable and balanced .> advocate for the environment, speak up now. . .Hey, Jeff? . .How about
you just add Mike to your killfile? It's pointless to argue .with him, and we both know it. Sure,
it's fun for a few minutes, but .what does it accomplish?

Jeff obviously has no life.

.Here's some observational science: . .He says something. Doesn't matter what, because none of what
he says .matters in the least. . .You retort. Doesn't matter what, because your reply is *just as
.meaningless as his original comments!* . .Why? Because it doesn't changte his mind, make him more
careful in .his arguments or research, nor does it demonstrate to anyone else the .lack of logic
present in Mike's premises/conclusions. . .(End observational science.) . .The time you spend
shouting into the ether is your's to waste, but .maybe you could do us a favor (Or just me, since I
don't speak for .anyone but myself,) and just ignore Mike? As in, don't give him more .forum or
rationale to bash.

Addicts can't stop o their own.

.We all know that hikers cause more trail damage than MTBers, because .of the sheer volume of hikers
vs. MTBers.

How many hikers hike every week? And as far as a mountain biker (over 50 miles in a day --
IMPOSSIBLE for a hiker)?

But both you and I know .that once you get past the semantics of the global "hikers" and global
."MTBers", Mike then will change the argument to single-individual .impact.

That's ALWAYS been the issue.

He will ALWAYS change the argument such that it favors his .position. . .Ask yourself a question,
Jeff: what exactly do you hope to .accomplish? Is it being accomplished by banging your head
against the .MJV wall? Is not the fallacy of his commentary immediately obvious, .to even the most
muddle-headed newbie? What can you hope to add, that .he has not already done himself? . .I'm
really serious in these questions, Jeff, because you seem like a .decent sort of fellow.

Don't make us laugh.

If you haven't noticed, there are a few folks .who have expressed an opinion that you'd be wise to
just STFU. While .I might agree, I do not think it's any more acceptable to say that .than spew
the naked anti-MTB propaganda that Mike does. You seem to .use reason, so I'm asking (*asking!*)
you to take a critical view of .your writings, and gauge their effectiveness at reaching your
goal. . .Now, channel your ire at the propaganda into something useful - like a .well-reasoned,
and well-researched rebuttal to Mike's missive to Dirt .Rag.

ROTFL.

Write it on paper, and send it to the editors there. You will .be doing something, rather than
merely upping the noise level in .USENET. . .I'd be more than willing to talk to you more in
private - e-mail me.

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On 02 Mar 2004 22:35:37 GMT, [email protected] (Stephen Baker) wrote:

.Jeff says: . .>I don't give a rat's ass that I change his mind, or not. What I care about .>is
changing your mind to not roll over and allow him to steamroll your .>recreational options into the
dust. . .The real problem here is that by responding, you give him the very credence he .doesn't
deserve (OK - bad sentence, but you get my drift, hopefully)

It doesn't matter to me, since I win either way!

.The fact that he can say "I engage in debate with mtb-ers" and demonstrate .dialogue, is what gets
him listened to. If no-one replied, he would not ba .able to claim debate, or libel, or name-
calling or even "threats" aginst his .person. He would simply be the nothing he is. . .Steve "just
ignore him"

===

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 19:49:58 -0800, "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote:

. ."Jonesy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
.news:[email protected]... .> "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]>
wrote in message .news:<[email protected]>... .> > I don't give a rat's ass that I
change his mind, or not. What I care .about .> > is changing your mind to not roll over and allow
him to steamroll your .> > recreational options into the dust. .> .> You obviously did not read my
posting. All by himself, he will not .> steamroll anything. Even in the community sympathetic to his
goals, .> he is a pariah! Have you not been paying attention? .> .Yes, I did read your post. I may
have missed something, but I read it. . . . . .> I was asking you some serious questions, and you
seem to have blown .> them off. If you are actually interested in *doing something* rather .> than
just jerking off in USENET, start by answering some of my .> questions. .> .I'll see if I can
address them. . . .> > It more than 30 years offroading in Southern California, and watching .much
.> > of the offroad inverntory get closed down, first on a seasonal basis .then .> > later on a year-
around basis, I think that we in the offroading .community do .> > not fight for our rights to
public access to public lands. .> .> Bickering with Mike in the newsgroups is not going to do that.
You .> can now turn your reason on me: explain how it might be possible to .> make changes to land
use restrictions by bickering in USENET. Since .> I can accept logical arguments, you might go ahead
and make one. I .> promise not to change the subject or engage in logical fallacies. .> .Bickering
with Mike may not do anything, but just because Mike himself is a .useless cause, we should all
recognize the pattern that he follows, and work .to derail him at every opportunity.

But you have failed to do that, at EVERY opportunity.

.> > If Mike was 100% effective in his goal, he would protect and preserve .less .> > than 0.0004%
of the open spaces, but would close 100% of the spaces you .use .> > to gain access to the places
you go for recreation. Think about how .> > unsuccessful he needs to be to be a major player in the
recreational .options .> > you and your family have. .> .> Wrong. The majority of *my* biking takes
place on private, timber .> company land (how's that for irony?). The rest takes place on state .>
or county land, and the folks who control access to those lands are .> not swayed by over-blown, emotion-
laden rants (IME.) .> .Maybe *you* personally is a poor example of my particular obsession, but
.bike riders in general fit pretty well into the circumstance that I have .illustrated. . .*You*
personally fit pretty well also, despite your claims otherwise. I .would not want you to think that
your county and state lands are protected .from the moronic MV, because the administrators of these
lands are precisely .the targets of his lunacy. . . . .> > I am not here to change Mike's mind. I am
here to challenge you to fight .> > back against his mentality. .> .> You are failing. .> .> 1.)
[...]
given weekend, instead of .go out for some fresh air away from the city lights. . . .> Maybe you can
explain how my request is unreasonable in the face of my .> commentary. Or better yet, if it is the
mind-set against which you .> argue, then maybe you should pick a few key nuggets of Vande-**** from
.> his website and just post those when he goes off. Snip all his .> spewings so that nobody has to
read it, and point out his website as .> the failure it is. Any logical, even-minded person can see
that Mike .> is nothing more than a egocentric religious zealot. All they have to .> do is read his
website. .> .> If Mike is a clown, what does that make the person who argues with .> him? I'm
serious, Jeff - your anti-MJV rants are getting stale. .> Starting actually *doing something.* .
.See you at the next land use meeting. . .

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 01:36:03 GMT, Jim Roberts <[email protected]> wrote:

. . .Corvus Corvax wrote: . .> Jim Roberts <[email protected]> drooled: .> .>>I've done
rather well since. Double major in chem and Phys .>>from Harvard, a PhC in physical chemistry, and
a PhD in astrophysics. .>>Want to butt heads? .> .> .> I'm so impressed. How'd the postdocs go? .>
[...]

Then you fit in to alt.mountain-bike perfectly!

.jimbat

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande