More than just saddle sore !

nicciH

Oct 12, 2023
Help needed!
Any women out there have any experience with 'Bikers Nodule' ? Pressure from bike saddle has caused me this painful swelling which takes days to reduce and comes back after only about an hours ride so I'd really like to know what solutions you've found. Have tried harder saddle and played with the heights and tilts. Wonder if softer saddle actually the answer or a 'nose less ' option.
Thanks
1f60a.png

I'm a guy but had a similar problem before.

Softer don't always solve the problem. Something with a wider nose with "relief channel" or hole in the center could reduce perineum pressure but may introduce groin pain.

Noseless saddles? I don't think it's a good idea. I think it's marketed mainly towards commuters or e-bikes. The nose provides considerable support when you're pedaling hard. For easy, casual rides, noseless might work though. "Noseless" TT saddles are not literally noseless. They do have nose, only short and the "double nosed" designs might also reduce perineum pressure.

I have actually made my own custom shaped saddle. Had hole in the middle as usual but the nose section is lower than the rest of the saddle. Really does eliminate perineum pressure and the saddle is comfortable even if you do long rides with casual (unpadded) shorts and no cream.

A wider saddle might also solve the problem. Something in this shape might work for you and this is a lady's saddle btw:

Siodlo-SELLE-ITALIA-LADY-GEL-FLOW-L-id-match-L2-Manganese-Tube-7-fibra-tek-310g-czarne-SIT-022H901IHC002-59645_2048x.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: nicciH
Thanks for your help and the Selle Italia has been recommended by someone else and does sound worth looking at. I do wear padded shorts and use cream. The swelling is only on one side and more in the groin area so do need to avoid increasing the width of any saddle. Have to heard of the 'Moon' saddle design? Am aware that it may take getting used to but reading the write up and reviews it does seem to eliminate all soft tissue contact. Thanks again

Thanks for your help and the Selle Italia has been recommended by someone else and does sound worth looking at. I do wear padded shorts and use cream. The swelling is only on one side and more in the groin area so do need to avoid increasing the width of any saddle. Have to heard of the 'Moon' saddle design? Am aware that it may take getting used to but reading the write up and reviews it does seem to eliminate all soft tissue contact. Thanks again

No problem.

Swelling only on one side, it's possible your saddle is too high. When saddle is too high, you will subconsciously shift position on the saddle sideways towards your favored leg (either left or right) and cause one-sided discomfort.

Not sure about the moon saddle. I think the nose is an important part of the saddle. The nose. provides lateral support when pushing down hard on the pedals like when mashing on a steep climb.

But having wider saddle definitely improves comfort. Get the wider ones I suppose. In fact, the get the widest available for your preferred product.

I forgot to mention this, if you visit a LBS, many of them lets you borrow different saddles (one at a time) for you test which ones will be most comfortable to you before you buy one.

Many saddle companies will also allow a "free return" period of a couple months. That is if you found their saddle uncomfortable, you can return it to them and they will refund the full cost, including all the shipping costs.

You probably know this already but just in case you didn't know.