Mountain Kills Mountain Biker

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 16:44:49 -0500, Peter H <[email protected]> wrote:

.Doug Haxton wrote: . .>Still, I'm willing to be persuaded. By all means, please cite .>evidence
...... .> .Mike seldom, if ever, cites evidence. The simplest inference would be .that he
doesn't have any.

BS. It's all on my web site. Oh, I forgot -- you have to be able to read ... words of more than one
Syl-la-ble.

.Pete H

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 23:30:48 GMT, Gary S. <Idontwantspam@net> wrote:

.On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 16:44:49 -0500, Peter H <[email protected]> wrote: . .>Doug Haxton wrote: .>
.>>Still, I'm willing to be persuaded. By all means, please cite .>>evidence ...... .>> .>Mike
seldom, if ever, cites evidence. The simplest inference would be .>that he doesn't have any. .>
.>Pete H . .Mikie is the source of all truth and knowledge, so emperical evidence, .facts, other
people's knowledge and observations, or anything else, .are not needed.

I make use of scientific research. You don't.

.On the other hand, he can extend a single instance he has observed, .and make it into the single
possible general case, i.e. one mountain .biker did something once, therefore all mountain bikers do
that all of .the time. . .He also dances back and forth between saying that mountain bikers have
.some characteristic all of the time, on bikes or not, and saying that .as soon as they get off the
bike they change is some way.

No, you are thinking of someone else.

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 02:12:38 GMT, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]>
wrote:

>.>.Murder is a legal term. .> .>Nonsense. It is also just a word in the English language. You can't
>legislate .>English, just for your own convenience. . .I agree completely. Here's the definition
>from www.dictionary.com . ."The unlawful killing of one human by another, especially with
>.premeditated malice."
>
>A dictionary is a compromise, and is based on usage. It doesn't include every legitimate use of a
>word, because it would be too expensive to find them all.

Fine...now that I've documented that I'm using the term correctly, all you have to do is the same.
Please show that the term "murder" applies to the killing of a non-human animal.

Please note that simply asserting it doesn't accomplish this.
>.>I never said you could. That's irelevant. It's still murder. . .Not according to: . .1) The law
>.2) The dictionary
>
>YOUR dictionary. MINE includes all "persons", which can include animals.

Your dictionary defines animals as "persons"? Which dictionary are you using?

>.3) The overwhelming majority of people
>
>This is not a matter for a vote.

Well...yes it is, actually. We live in a democratic republic. As such, the law is defined by people
we elect (and the people they appoint).

All you have to do to change the law is get people elected who agree with you (good luck).

>.I just cited who agrees with me. . .Who agrees with you?
>
>Who cares? It's still murder.

Ah, so virtually *no one* agrees with you. You simply assert that it's murder.

Well, I can say that killing a kumquat is murder. Who are you to say that I'm wrong?
>.You don't *need* proof to kill a non-human animal.
>
>But you DO, to convince people that it was just. It wasn't. .Are you asserting that "people" don't
>think that killing the mountain .lion in question was just? I'd be shocked to learn that more than
>5% .of people in general disagreed with killing this cat.
>
>Who cares? I don't think this is a popularity contest.

You said that to kill a non-human animal, you needed to "convice people that it was just" (your
words). That means it *is* a popularity contest.

>.Still, I'm willing to be persuaded. By all means, please cite .evidence that a substantial number
>of people disagree with the killing .of this cat.
>
>100% of the email I got on the subject supported my stance. See
>http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/fanmail.htm.

A half dozen emails to an econut (none of which are even signed!) constitute a "substantial number
of people"? Puh-leeze.
>.>.Human remains were found in the stomach of the cat...seems to me he .>.was right...wasn't he? .>
>.>Right that the lion ate a human, but not right in killing it. . .Ah, so he *was* right in
>concluding that the cat was a mankiller.
>
>If you say so. I didn't see the evidence.

You just admitted that the lion ate a human! ("Right that the lion ate a human, but not right in
killing it.")

>That still doesn't make the killing justified. It's still murder.

Again, you seem to be the only one saying so.

No, wait...there are those unsigned emails!
>.>The Justice Department isn't even fair to HUMANS, much less wildlife. . .If you truly feel that
>way, it must fill you with despair.
>
>Nope, because I do my part to fix it.

And just what are you doing to fix the Justice Department?

>.What do you plan to do about it (beyond trolling on rec.bicycles.soc)?
>
>The same thing I do about everything else.

And that would be....?

>.>.What laws created by non-humans do you suggest we follow? .> .>The Endangered Species Act (the
>spirit, as well as the letter). . .The Endangered Species Act (letter and spirit) was authored by
>.non-humans? Fascinating!
>
>Sorry, I didn't read that carefully.

Fair enough. I'll repeat the question: What laws created by non-humans do you suggest we follow?
>."(3) Notwithstanding any other provision of this Act, no civil penalty .shall be imposed if it can
>be shown by a preponderance of the evidence .that the defendant committed an act based on a good
>faith belief that .he was acting to protect himself or herself, a member of his or her .family, or
>any other individual from bodily harm, from any endangered .or threatened species." . .In other
>words, it's just peachy to kill *any* endangered animal if .it's done to protect humans. So by all
>means, please enforce the ESA.
>
>The lion wasn't threatening anyone.

I suspect the person that it ate would disagree. Hard to ask them, of course, since they're dead.
> It was trying to eat its kill.

Yes, it was. A *human* kill.

>.Intriguing...tell me, what should the penalty be for catching a fish .and eating it?
>
>Whatever the fish choose.

And how, exactly, do you propose that we find out what penalty trout want imposed on fishermen?

>.BTW...does killing *any* animal qualify as murder? Specifically, .what about an insect?
>
>Of course, as long as it's not self-defense.
>
>.A germ? . .A virus?
>
>Yep.

I can only assume, then, that you consider someone who takes antibiotics to be guilty of genocide.
Am I correct?
>.Actually, execution is by definition the killing of a *human*.
>
>Not according to the dictionary.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=execution "The act or an instance of putting to death or
being put to death as a lawful penalty."

The lion was not (as you so helpfully pointed out) accused of a crime, found guilty, or sentenced.
It was simply killed. To argue that it was executed, you'd have to define eating a carrot as
"executing" the carrot.
>.>.Who, *specifically*, has described the cat as a "murderer"? .> .>It is implied by the way we
>talk about it, regardless of what words they use. . .Ah, so you *can't* cite a single instance.
>Good of you to admit it. . .Let me get this straight: you're saying that people imply things
>.through the use of words... but that the words used are irrelevant?
>
>I didn't say that. Not everything implied by a sentence is spelled out. That's why it's called
>"implication".

Granted, you can imply something through the tone of one's voice...but you've stated that people
imply that when a mountain lion eats a human, that they consider it to be a murderer. You surely can
come up with a few examples, then!

Well?

>.Don't make me look up the definition of the word "imply". I've got a .dictionary and I'm not
>afraid to use it!
>
>But you were apparently afraid to look up "execution", because you got it wrong.

Incorrect. See above.

>.One last question: who's your favorite movie character?
>
>I don't have one. I don't see that many movies. Besides, they are fictitious.

You aren't interested in fiction? How....odd.

>.I'm guessing that it's Vizzini. Am I right?
>
>Who's that?

A character in the movie, "The Princess Bride" (a wonderful movie!). When something happens that he
didn't expect, he always says "Inconceivable!" After 4 or 5 times, another character says, "You
keeping using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Great stuff...

Doug

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 16:44:49 -0500, Peter H <[email protected]> wrote:

>Doug Haxton wrote:
>
>>Still, I'm willing to be persuaded. By all means, please cite evidence ......
>>
>Mike seldom, if ever, cites evidence. The simplest inference would be that he doesn't have any.

I'm still trying to decide if he just gets a kick out of taking a moronic position, or if he really
*is* a moron.

(To be fair, the two aren't mutually exclusive...)

Doug

The tests showed that the lion had parts of Reynolds in its stomach. It also had tissues of the
woman's skin, her name was Anne, I think. Her name doesn't really matter, nor does his name. All
that really matters is the lion was opened up and they found human remains in its stomach.

They killed the right animal.

> On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 19:28:21 GMT, Doug Haxton <[email protected]>
wrote:

> .On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 15:46:27 GMT, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> .wrote: . . . .>.Murder is
> a legal term. .> .>Nonsense. It is also just a word in the English language. You can't
legislate
> .>English, just for your own convenience. . .I agree completely. Here's the definition from
> www.dictionary.com . ."The unlawful killing of one human by another, especially with .premeditated
> malice."
>
> A dictionary is a compromise, and is based on usage. It doesn't include
every
> legitimate use of a word, because it would be too expensive to find them
all.

That is among the Top Ten Most Stupid Things You Have Ever Said! One can not "murder" something that
is not human, that is what we refer to as killing. Killing can be a person, or an animal, or even a
plant. I suppose one might be able to kill a corporation since a corporation is a legal person, but
not a real person. One can not murder a corporation.

> .Hm...seems to me that I'm the one using the term correctly, not you. .> .> You can't be indicted
> for murdering a .>.corporation any more than you can be indicted for murdering a .>.chipmunk. .>
> .>I never said you could. That's irelevant. It's still murder. . .Not according to: . .1) The law
> .2) The dictionary
>
> YOUR dictionary. MINE includes all "persons", which can include animals.

All persons are animals, however not all animals are persons. Your dictionary is wrong. I forgot,
you use the New Vandeman Dictionary of Non-Standard terminology.

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 18:45:11 -0800, "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote:

.The tests showed that the lion had parts of Reynolds in its stomach. It also .had tissues of the
woman's skin, her name was Anne, I think. Her name .doesn't really matter, nor does his name. All
that really matters is the .lion was opened up and they found human remains in its stomach. . .They
killed the right animal.

No, they didn't. The right animal is the mountain biker who chose to bike in lion habitat. The lion
did nothing wrong. He was in his home.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

> On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 18:45:11 -0800, "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> .The tests showed that the lion had parts of Reynolds in its stomach. It
also
> .had tissues of the woman's skin, her name was Anne, I think. Her name .doesn't really matter, nor
> does his name. All that really matters is the .lion was opened up and they found human remains in
> its stomach. . .They killed the right animal.
>
> No, they didn't. The right animal is the mountain biker who chose to bike
in
> lion habitat. The lion did nothing wrong. He was in his home.

You sir should return the PhD to its cerial box. You are a stark raving lunatic.

The lion was just barely in its habitat, and could have easily gone outside of the park and attacked
children that lived in the adjacent neighborhood. You have no connection with reality!

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 09:04:47 -0800, "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote:

. ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
.news:[email protected]... .> On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 18:45:11 -0800, "Jeff
Strickland" <[email protected]> .wrote: .> .> .The tests showed that the lion had parts of Reynolds
in its stomach. It .also .> .had tissues of the woman's skin, her name was Anne, I think. Her name
.> .doesn't really matter, nor does his name. All that really matters is the .> .lion was opened up
and they found human remains in its stomach. .> . .> .They killed the right animal. .> .> No, they
didn't. The right animal is the mountain biker who chose to bike .in .> lion habitat. The lion did
nothing wrong. He was in his home. . . .You sir should return the PhD to its cerial box. You are a
stark raving .lunatic. . .The lion was just barely in its habitat,

That's what I just said: he was in his habitat.

and could have easily gone outside .of the park and attacked children that lived in the adjacent
neighborhood. .You have no connection with reality!

So we should kill people we think are ABOUT to commit a crime? You make no sense. As usual.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

>> You don't have your facts right. The mountain lion is not a "pest"
:>
:> Any animal that threatens human safety or health is, at the very least a pest. Human life has
:> supremacy.

Humans are animals, and humans threaten other humans safety and health. So, humans are pests too.
Thus neither has supremacy, especially not in your case....

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 22:18:51 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] mumbled
incoherently:

>:>> You don't have your facts right. The mountain lion is not a "pest"
>:>
>:> Any animal that threatens human safety or health is, at the very least a pest. Human life has
>:> supremacy.
>
>Humans are animals

Sometimes I fear that thinking like this is what will bring down our country someday. First
came abortion. Government approved euthanasia is next - the thinking there will probably
be, after all, if we are no different than cougars, rats and vermin, why not exterminate
where needed?

Ken (NY) Chairman, Department Of Redundancy Department
___________________________________
email: http://www.geocities.com/bluesguy68/email.htm

"Kerry and Clark now represent the two major wings of the Democratic Party -- the Kennedy wing and
the Clinton wing. One drowns you after the extramarital affair; the other one calls you a stalker."
- Ann Coulter

Q: What the hardest thing about rollerblading?
R: Telling your parents you’re gay.

spammers can send mail to [email protected]

Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 07:57:15 GMT, Rick Hopkins <[email protected]> wrote:
<snip>

> .> .The recreation is not the problem - cougars are abundant everywhere in .> .the state there is
> little or no development and deer are plentiful. .> .Whether or not people recreate there has no
> statistical bearing on .> .predicting if cougars are abundant. Maybe I should say it more slowly,
> .> .the people in the park are not the problem, it is the housing .> .development taking away
> their home ranges and cutting off their .> .corridors. You should read Dr. Paul Beier's work .
> .Paul has published in a number of reputable journals, search them out. . . .> Why don't you
> recommend a book or article making that point.

Actually it seems that R. Hopkins is making several points.

1) The recreation is not the problem.
2) cougars are abundant everywhere in the state there is little or no development and deer
are plentiful
3) Whether or not people recreate there has no statistical bearing on predicting if cougars
are abundant.
4) the people in the park are not the problem,
5) it (the problem) is the housing development taking away their home ranges

Since you didn't say which point you were referring to:

Beier, P. 1993. Determining minimum habitat areas and corridors for cougars. Conservation Biology
7:94-108. (2 and 5)

Beier, P. 1995. Dispersal of juvenile cougars in fragmented habitat. Journal of Wildlife Management
59:228-237. (2 and 5)

Beier, P., and R. F. Noss. 1998. Do habitat corridors provide connectivity? Conservation Biology
12:1241-1252. (5)

Dickson, B. G., and P. Beier. 2002. Home range and habitat selection by adult cougars in southern
California. Journal of Wildlife Management 66(4):1235-1245 (2 and to some extent 1, 3 and 4)

Pretty much basic reading ... especially if you ever took classes from Paul.

> Interesting that you can't give a single reference supporting your point.... You smell like
> a fraud.

Check your nose Doc.

Grigione. M.M., P. Beier, R. A. Hopkins, D. Neal, W. D. Padley, C. M. Schonewald, and M. L. Johnson.
2002. Ecological and allometric determinants of home range size for mountain lions (Puma concolor).
Animal Conservation 5:317-324.

R (Ecosystems Science and Management, 2000)

On 5 Feb 2004 15:21:31 -0800, [email protected] (Reco Diver) wrote:

.Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... .> On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 07:57:15 GMT, Rick
Hopkins <[email protected]> wrote: .<snip> . .> .> .The recreation is not the problem - cougars
are abundant everywhere in .> .> .the state there is little or no development and deer are
plentiful. .> .> .Whether or not people recreate there has no statistical bearing on .> .>
.predicting if cougars are abundant. Maybe I should say it more slowly, .> .> .the people in the
park are not the problem, it is the housing .> .> .development taking away their home ranges and
cutting off their .> .> .corridors. You should read Dr. Paul Beier's work .> . .> .Paul has
published in a number of reputable journals, search them out. .> . .> . .> .> Why don't you
recommend a book or article making that point. . .Actually it seems that R. Hopkins is making
several points. . .1) The recreation is not the problem.

That is refuted by _Wildlife and Recreationists_.

.2) cougars are abundant everywhere in the state there is little or no
. development and deer are plentiful

That is a subjective judgment, having nothing to do with science.

.3) Whether or not people recreate there has no statistical bearing on
. predicting if cougars are abundant.

There's no proof of that.

.4) the people in the park are not the problem,

That is refuted by _Wildlife and Recreationists_.

.5) it (the problem) is the housing development taking away their home .ranges

That is a separate problem, though confounded with the people problem.

[...]

I will read those, but I guarantee that you haven't proven those points. And CAN'T.

.R .(Ecosystems Science and Management, 2000)

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 5 Feb 2004 15:21:31 -0800, [email protected] (Reco Diver) wrote:
>
> .Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>... .> On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 07:57:15 GMT, Rick
> Hopkins <[email protected]> wrote: .<snip> . .> .> .The recreation is not the problem - cougars
> are abundant everywhere in .> .> .the state there is little or no development and deer are
> plentiful. .> .> .Whether or not people recreate there has no statistical bearing on .> .>
> .predicting if cougars are abundant. Maybe I should say it more slowly, .> .> .the people in the
> park are not the problem, it is the housing .> .> .development taking away their home ranges and
> cutting off their .> .> .corridors. You should read Dr. Paul Beier's work .> . .> .Paul has
> published in a number of reputable journals, search them out. .> . .> . .> .> Why don't you
> recommend a book or article making that point. . .Actually it seems that R. Hopkins is making
> several points. . .1) The recreation is not the problem.
>
> That is refuted by _Wildlife and Recreationists_.
>
> .2) cougars are abundant everywhere in the state there is little or no
> . development and deer are plentiful
>
> That is a subjective judgment, having nothing to do with science.

Actually Doc that point is pretty much basic spatial distribution theory/Coll'r and Foll'r,
wildlife bio 101.

See:

Dickson, B. G., and P. Beier. 2002. Home range and habitat selection by adult cougars in southern
California. Journal of Wildlife Management 66(4):1235-1245

Beier, P. 1993. Determining minimum habitat areas and corridors for cougars. Conservation
Biology 7:94-108.

> .3) Whether or not people recreate there has no statistical bearing on
> . predicting if cougars are abundant.
>
> There's no proof of that.

Do a basic lit review before passing judgement.

> .4) the people in the park are not the problem,
>
> That is refuted by _Wildlife and Recreationists_.

Lets have a "cougar specific" citation for your side of the argument doc.

> .5) it (the problem) is the housing development taking away their home .ranges
>
> That is a separate problem, though confounded with the people problem.

Wow an agreement ... of sorts

> .Since you didn't say which point you were referring to: . .Beier, P. 1993. Determining minimum
> habitat areas and corridors for .cougars. Conservation Biology 7:94-108. (2 and 5) . .Beier, P.
> 1995. Dispersal of juvenile cougars in fragmented habitat. .Journal of Wildlife Management 59:228-
> 237. (2 and 5) . .Beier, P., and R. F. Noss. 1998. Do habitat corridors provide .connectivity?
> Conservation Biology 12:1241-1252. (5) . .Dickson, B. G., and P. Beier. 2002. Home range and
> habitat selection .by adult cougars in southern California. Journal of Wildlife .Management 66(4):1235-
> 1245 .(2 and to some extent 1, 3 and 4) . .Pretty much basic reading ... especially if you ever
> took classes from .Paul. . .> .> Interesting that you can't give a single reference supporting
> your point.... .> You smell like a fraud. . .Check your nose Doc. . .Grigione. M.M., P. Beier, R.
> A. Hopkins, D. Neal, W. D. Padley, C. M. .Schonewald, and M. L. Johnson. 2002. Ecological and
> allometric .determinants of home range size for mountain lions (Puma concolor). .Animal
> Conservation 5:317-324.
>
> I will read those,

If you'd like I can send you links to pdf's.

> but I guarantee that you haven't proven those points. And CAN'T.

1. They are not "my" points.
2. I am not trying to "prove" anything.
3. You asked for citations related to R. Hopkins points ... I just provided some. Check out the
articles if you feel like it, then draw your conclusions.

BTW my work (with Dr. B et al) was in "prey species abundance." So here is my point ... refute it if
you feel like it.

4. We (humans) are not the top of the food chain.

Enjoy the articles.

Reco Diver wrote:

>>If you'd like I can send you links to pdf's.

You're gonna send Mikey personal flotation devices? True, he's far out at sea, but it's all
philosophical and it would seem the tide's never gonna come in.

>1. We (humans) are not the top of the food chain.

True, but we are the most accomplished omnivores around.

Conversely, everyone is on someone's food chain.

Pete H

--
Freedom is participation in power. Cicero

On 7 Feb 2004 09:09:37 -0800, [email protected] (Reco Diver) wrote:

.Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... .> On 5 Feb 2004 15:21:31 -0800,
[email protected] (Reco Diver) wrote: .> .> .Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:<[email protected]>... .> .> On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 07:57:15 GMT,
Rick Hopkins <[email protected]> wrote: .> .<snip> .> . .> .> .> .The recreation is not the
problem - cougars are abundant everywhere in .> .> .> .the state there is little or no development
and deer are plentiful. .> .> .> .Whether or not people recreate there has no statistical bearing on
.> .> .> .predicting if cougars are abundant. Maybe I should say it more slowly, .> .> .> .the
people in the park are not the problem, it is the housing .> .> .> .development taking away their
home ranges and cutting off their .> .> .> .corridors. You should read Dr. Paul Beier's work .> .> .
.> .> .Paul has published in a number of reputable journals, search them out. .> .> . .> .> . .> .>
.> Why don't you recommend a book or article making that point. .> . .> .Actually it seems that R.
Hopkins is making several points. .> . .> .1) The recreation is not the problem. .> .> That is
refuted by _Wildlife and Recreationists_. .> .> .2) cougars are abundant everywhere in the state
there is little or no .> . development and deer are plentiful .> .> That is a subjective judgment,
having nothing to do with science. . .Actually Doc that point is pretty much basic spatial
distribution .theory/Coll'r and Foll'r, wildlife bio 101.

I guess that was over your head. "Abundant" is a subjective judgment. Who is to say how many
mountain lions there are supposed to be here? A human? Don't make me laugh.

.See: . .Dickson, B. G., and P. Beier. 2002. Home range and habitat selection .by adult cougars in
southern California. Journal of Wildlife .Management 66(4):1235-1245 . .Beier, P. 1993. Determining
minimum habitat areas and corridors for .cougars. Conservation Biology 7:94-108. . .> .> .3) Whether
or not people recreate there has no statistical bearing on .> . predicting if cougars are abundant.
.> .> There's no proof of that. . .Do a basic lit review before passing judgement.

Don't forget, I have a Ph.D. and an MA in math. To prove that, a scientist would have to REMOVE all
humans from the experimental area. That will never happen, because humans are too selfish.

.> .4) the people in the park are not the problem, .> .> That is refuted by _Wildlife and
Recreationists_. . .Lets have a "cougar specific" citation for your side of the argument .doc.

That's irrelevant. You asked me to read something. Why are you afraid to examine the evidence?
Hypocrite.

.> .5) it (the problem) is the housing development taking away their home .> .ranges .> .> That is a
separate problem, though confounded with the people problem. . .Wow an agreement ... of sorts . .>
[...]
of home range size for mountain lions (Puma concolor). .> .Animal Conservation 5:317-324. .> .> I
will read those, . .If you'd like I can send you links to pdf's.

Yes, of course.

.> but I guarantee that you haven't proven those points. And .> CAN'T. . .1. They are not "my"
points. .2. I am not trying to "prove" anything. .3. You asked for citations related to R. Hopkins
points ... I just .provided some. Check out the articles if you feel like it, then draw .your
conclusions. . .BTW my work (with Dr. B et al) was in "prey species abundance." So .here is my point
... refute it if you feel like it. . .1. We (humans) are not the top of the food chain.

There is no top. It's circular. Duh. (Bacteria feed on so-called "top" predators.) You "biologists"
are so used to accepting your own BS that you forget how little you really know. Even an amateur
like me can fine numerous holes in your "arguments". It's child's play, really.

.Enjoy the articles. . .R

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

> On 7 Feb 2004 09:09:37 -0800, [email protected] (Reco Diver) wrote:
>
>> .>
> .> .3) Whether or not people recreate there has no statistical bearing on .> . predicting if
> cougars are abundant. .> .> There's no proof of that. . .Do a basic lit review before passing
> judgement.
>
> Don't forget, I have a Ph.D. and an MA in math. To prove that, a scientist
would
> have to REMOVE all humans from the experimental area. That will never
happen,
> because humans are too selfish.

to respond to the latest error on your part Mike. A scientist would not have to remove all the
humans from the park for at least two reasons:
1. humans are an integral part of the biosphere in general, and of this system in particular. to
remove them would be inappropriate to correct modelling of the situation, regardless of whether
one believes them to have the right to be present.
2. factorial principles of statistical design would allow examination of the premise, by testing
for interactions using a GLM.

As a PhD and MA - and one has to ask why not an MSc or MMaths? - I would have thought that you may
have come across these ideas. Isuspect that you have backed yourself into a corner as a result of
erroneous assumptions in your original arguments. I would suggest re-examination of your position,
and present the arguments again, applying the knowledge given to you by previous authors.

Sincereley, Alan Poots.

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 17:48:47 -0000, <[email protected]> wrote:

. ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
.news:[email protected]... .> On 7 Feb 2004 09:09:37 -0800,
[email protected] (Reco Diver) wrote: .> .>> .> .> .> .3) Whether or not people recreate there
has no statistical bearing on .> .> . predicting if cougars are abundant. .> .> .> .> There's no
proof of that. .> . .> .Do a basic lit review before passing judgement. .> .> Don't forget, I have a
Ph.D. and an MA in math. To prove that, a scientist .would .> have to REMOVE all humans from the
experimental area. That will never .happen, .> because humans are too selfish. .> . .to respond to
the latest error on your part Mike. A scientist would not have .to remove all the humans from the
park for at least two reasons: .1. humans are an integral part of the biosphere in general, and of
this .system in particular.

Thanks for demonstrating your ignorance. Humans are a VERY recent addition to the ecosystem, making
them an exotic species -- NOT "an integral part of the ecosystem". Be honest! Humans are as much a
part of the ecosystem as zebra mussels ar in SF Bay.

to remove them would be inappropriate to correct .modelling of the situation, regardless of
whether one believes them to have .the right to be present. .2. factorial principles of
statistical design would allow examination of .the premise, by testing for interactions
using a GLM.

Ah, yes: how to lie with statistics. Without removing the humans, it is IMPOSSIBLE to know what the
effect of removing the humans would be. That is obvious to anyone with half a brain.

.As a PhD and MA - and one has to ask why not an MSc or MMaths? - I would .have thought that you may
have come across these ideas.

Sounds like a British custom? We don't have those degrees in math or psychology. It's just a metter
of terminology.

Isuspect that you .have backed yourself into a corner as a result of erroneous assumptions in .your
original arguments.

"Suspicion" is not enough. You have to prove it (hint: you can't, because you are all wet).

I would suggest re-examination of your position, .and present the arguments again, applying the
knowledge given to you by .previous authors.

.Sincereley, .Alan Poots. . .

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

To reply to you Mike:

wrote:
> .> .>> .> .> .> .3) Whether or not people recreate there has no statistical bearing
on
> .> .> . predicting if cougars are abundant. .> .> .> .> There's no proof of that. .> . .> .Do a
> basic lit review before passing judgement. .> .> Don't forget, I have a Ph.D. and an MA in math.
> To prove that, a
scientist
> .would .> have to REMOVE all humans from the experimental area. That will never .happen, .>
> because humans are too selfish. .> . .to respond to the latest error on your part Mike. A
> scientist would not
have
> .to remove all the humans from the park for at least two reasons: .1. humans are an integral part
> of the biosphere in general, and of this .system in particular.
>
> Thanks for demonstrating your ignorance. Humans are a VERY recent addition
> the ecosystem, making them an exotic species -- NOT "an integral part of
the
> ecosystem". Be honest! Humans are as much a part of the ecosystem as zebra mussels ar in SF Bay.

strangely mike, whether or not a species is recent or not does not effect its potential to be
integral. many systems are utterly reliant on human activity for their persistance - such as
calcareous grasslands, which would otherwise turn into forested regions, with a resultant loss of
habitat for many invertebrate assemblages; farmland bird's such as the cirl bunting are reliant on
traditional farming methodologies; and savannah in africa is maintained by grazing pressure and
fires - many of which are anthropogenic in cause.

in addition, do you suggest that humans should all return to Africa to where it is believed that
speciation occurred?

Do you advocate the removal of species from islands because they migrated to get there?

Perhaps no species should be dispersive?

Whislt i agree that humanity in general is having a terrifying effect on the world's biota -
especially through anthropogenic introductions - humanity is a part of nature and must be considered
when trying to solve ecological problems. And removal of humanity would not allow a "pure habitat",
as a result of pervasive atmospheric and groundwater effects - to name a few. this is believed to
have lead to the recent extinction of the golden toad, despite the prevention of access.

> to remove them would be inappropriate to correct .modelling of the situation, regardless of
> whether one believes them to
have
> .the right to be present. .2. factorial principles of statistical design would allow examination
> of .the premise, by testing for interactions using a GLM.
>
> Ah, yes: how to lie with statistics. Without removing the humans, it is IMPOSSIBLE to know what
> the effect of removing the humans would be. That
is
> obvious to anyone with half a brain.

i did not suggest that one should lie through statistics. it is , i agree, possible to misrepresent
the data through statistics , especially if the methodologies are not robust, and assumptions of
statistical models are not met. a public misunderstanding of what statistics state, and to be fair
science in general, means that this is done, allowing nefarious manipulation of public perception
towards an incorrect premise.

And as much as i didn't want to get technical - you have in previous messages suggested the complete
removal of humans from the park. this is not necessary. by using factorial design principles it is
possible to analyse heterogenous ecological data - namely differences within a region. so that for
instance one part of the park with a level of human usage of (for example) 1 (or other arbitary and
hypothetical value), and N other variables at levels Xn, can be compared to a parts with human
usages of diferent values - with N variables at levels Xn. this would allow extrapolation on an n-
dimensional backdrop through multivariate techniques (appropraite to the data distribution), to
explore the consequence of human usage on cougars, or other species, and thereby provide an ability
to gauge what the effect of removal would be. these techinques are fully repeatable, testable, and
objective.

but i am sure as an MA Mathematics you didn't need an explanation of multivariate ecological
techniques, but others may well not have been aware of these aspects.

> .As a PhD and MA - and one has to ask why not an MSc or MMaths? - I would .have thought that you
> may have come across these ideas.
>
> Sounds like a British custom? We don't have those degrees in math or
psychology.
> It's just a metter of terminology.

Fair enough then - just asking.

> Isuspect that you .have backed yourself into a corner as a result of erroneous assumptions
in
> .your original arguments.
>
> "Suspicion" is not enough. You have to prove it (hint: you can't, because
you
> are all wet).

agreed, it had been raining a lot after all. And i need prove no such thing. i wished to allow
people unaware of the previous parts to your conversation to be made aware of the possibility that
the arguments may not be based on correct premises ,and to allow you a chance to re-evaluate your
position in the light of the presentation of alternate viewpoints by authors who demonstrate an
appreciable,or at least researched, understanding of this topic - such as Jeff Strickland. perhaps
you could start a new thread with a revised argument? an improved model as it were?

your aims are admirable in some senses, but naive in others. whilst humans have been demonstratably
bad for the environment, any solution which excludes them from consideration will be inadequate.

your suggestion that i have half a brain is offensive - at no point did i suggest that your were half-
witted, merely that your hypothesis may be grounded on incorrect assumptions. i hope that my
comments have not offended, and that was certainly not the intention, but have provided information
that can be integrated into subsequent hypotheses.

Sincerely, Alan Poots.

Alan Poots wrote:

>To reply to you Mike:
>
>. . . . . . .
>

>information that can be integrated into subsequent hypotheses.
>
>Sincerely, Alan Poots.

Not to doubt your sincerity for a moment.

But you are beating a dead horse.

VERY dead.

MV, the ultimate androphobe, cannot be disuaded by mere facts or reality. His monomaniacle diatribes
go on and on, seemingly endlessly, with ever-repeating boilerplate of sweeping generalities, "shoot-the-
messenger" responses, wildly generalized vituperations, and sophomoric mud-slinging. This has gone
on for a seemingly endless round of similarly-based threads that always seem to devolve into a
dreary sameness. There's a small degree of entertainment in various responses of seemingly well-
meaning folks trying to show the infinitude of errors MV blathers himself into; there's a deadly
(DUH! and IDIOT!) familiarity to his portion of the interchange. One wonders . . . .

But, then, reality is not only stranger than we think, it is stranger than we CAN think.

Or, as the good Mr. Pepys would have it, "...and so to bed..."

Pete H

--
A person is free only in the freedom of other persons.
W. Berry