Mountain Kills Mountain Biker

Kevan Smith wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 08:03:27 -0500, Peter H <[email protected]> from wrote:
>

>>I have (in print) Brower's own words admitting to the fabrication.
>>

>Sure you do.

I refer you to Encounters With the Archdruid by John McPhee, Farrar,Strauss & Giroux, New York,
1971, ISBN 0-374-14822-8, p.86.

Pete H

--
A person is free only in the freedom of other persons.
W. Berry

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:45:38 -0600, Kevan Smith wrote:

> Well, I don't really care, so, nyah.

This actually ranks as one of the better responses in this thread. ;-)

(with the exception of some posts into which Alan Poots put way too much thought and effort,
of course)

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:27:03 -0500, Peter H <[email protected]> from wrote:

>Kevan Smith wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 08:03:27 -0500, Peter H <[email protected]> from wrote:
>>

>>>I have (in print) Brower's own words admitting to the fabrication.
>>>

>>Sure you do.
>>

>I refer you to Encounters With the Archdruid by John McPhee, Farrar,Strauss & Giroux, New York,
>1971, ISBN 0-374-14822-8, p.86.

Well, since you can cite a page number, why don't you save me some money and type in the relevant
paragraph, too?

--
[email protected]
Make a blank valuable by putting it in an exquisite frame.

Kevan Smith wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:27:03 -0500, Peter H <[email protected]> from wrote:
>

>>Kevan Smith wrote:

>>>Sure you do.
>>>

>>I refer you to Encounters With the Archdruid by John McPhee, Farrar,Strauss & Giroux, New York,
>>1971, ISBN 0-374-14822-8, p.86.
>>

>Well, since you can cite a page number, why don't you save me some money and type in the relevant
>paragraph, too?

Actually, the relevant passage spans four paragraphs.

If you provide a round-trip ticket, I'll come & read the entire book (a very insightful one) to you.
I often recommend the book to anyone who is interested in ecological issues but has not yet read it.
You'll find my fees & expenses as a Registered Maine Guide are quite modest compared to some. While
at university, my major was English & two of my three minors were speech & theater, so I'm sure the
endeavor will be acceptable by everyday standards.

But I forget myself; you were trying to pinch pennies, weren't you?

Pete H

--
A person is free only in the freedom of other persons.
W. Berry

"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:27:03 -0500, Peter H <[email protected]> from
wrote:

> >Kevan Smith wrote:

> >>Sure you do.
> >>

> >I refer you to Encounters With the Archdruid by John McPhee, Farrar,Strauss & Giroux, New York,
> >1971, ISBN 0-374-14822-8, p.86.
>
> Well, since you can cite a page number, why don't you save me some money
and
> type in the relevant paragraph, too?
====================
Nice dodge, loser. What's wrong with a library? You've already paid for the books there, or your
daddy has anyway.

> --
> [email protected] Make a blank valuable by putting it in an exquisite frame. 76

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 20:12:12 -0500, "rick etter" <[email protected]> from
wrote:

>"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:27:03 -0500, Peter H <[email protected]> from
>wrote:

>> >I refer you to Encounters With the Archdruid by John McPhee, Farrar,Strauss & Giroux, New York,
>> >1971, ISBN 0-374-14822-8, p.86.
>>
>> Well, since you can cite a page number, why don't you save me some money
>and
>> type in the relevant paragraph, too?
>====================
>Nice dodge, loser. What's wrong with a library? You've already paid for the books there, or your
>daddy has anyway.

Well, first of all, I could go to a library, but it would be far quicker for him to type in a few
sentences. Second, he cited a very old edition of the book, so, even if I went to the library, the
passage he mentions may not be on the page he cited in the copy I get. In fact, the passage might
not even be in newer editions of the work. In order to see exactly what he's citing, I'll have to
get the same edition, and the odds aren't very good that my library will have it. In fact, I just
checked my local library online, and they don't have a copy, anyway.

--
[email protected]
You are an engineer.

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 18:09:27 -0500, Peter H <[email protected]> from wrote:

>>Well, since you can cite a page number, why don't you save me some money and type in the relevant
>>paragraph, too?
>>
>Actually, the relevant passage spans four paragraphs.
>
>If you provide a round-trip ticket, I'll come & read the entire book (a very insightful one) to
>you. I often recommend the book to anyone who is interested in ecological issues but has not yet
>read it. You'll find my fees & expenses as a Registered Maine Guide are quite modest compared to
>some. While at university, my major was English & two of my three minors were speech & theater, so
>I'm sure the endeavor will be acceptable by everyday standards.
>
>But I forget myself; you were trying to pinch pennies, weren't you?

OR at least save myself a trip to the library.

But, since you won't dish even when asked, I'm going to assume the passage doesn't say quite what
you originally claimed. I'm a distrustful *******. It's a learned behavior from dealing with the GOP
anti-clean-anything coalition here.

--
[email protected]
Give the name away.

"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 20:12:12 -0500, "rick etter" <[email protected]>
from
> wrote:

snip...

> >====================
> >Nice dodge, loser. What's wrong with a library? You've already paid for the books there, or your
> >daddy has anyway.
>
> Well, first of all, I could go to a library, but it would be far quicker
for him
> to type in a few sentences.
=================
Right, as if you'd believe what he wrote...

Second, he cited a very old edition of the book, so,
> even if I went to the library, the passage he mentions may not be on the
page he
> cited in the copy I get. In fact, the passage might not even be in newer editions of the work. In
> order to see exactly what he's citing, I'll have
to get
> the same edition, and the odds aren't very good that my library will have
it. In
> fact, I just checked my local library online, and they don't have a copy, anyway.
==========================
Tap, tap, tap. Still dancing. Inter-library loan, look it up. I guess you don't really want to
actually see the cite, right?

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 01:02:33 -0500, "rick etter" <[email protected]> from
wrote:

>Tap, tap, tap. Still dancing. Inter-library loan, look it up. I guess you don't really want to
>actually see the cite, right?

I've made plans to go to the bookstore Thursday evening.

--
[email protected]
Intentions - nility of - humility of - credibility of.

"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 18:09:27 -0500, Peter H <[email protected]> from
wrote:

> >>Well, since you can cite a page number, why don't you save me some money
and
> >>type in the relevant paragraph, too?
> >>
> >Actually, the relevant passage spans four paragraphs.
> >
> >If you provide a round-trip ticket, I'll come & read the entire book (a very insightful one) to
> >you. I often recommend the book to anyone who is interested in ecological issues but has not yet
> >read it. You'll find my fees & expenses as a Registered Maine Guide are quite modest compared to
> >some. While at university, my major was English & two of my three minors were speech & theater,
> >so I'm sure the endeavor will be acceptable by everyday standards.
> >
> >But I forget myself; you were trying to pinch pennies, weren't you?
>
> OR at least save myself a trip to the library.
>
> But, since you won't dish even when asked, I'm going to assume the passage doesn't say quite what
> you originally claimed. I'm a distrustful *******.
=======================
LOL But you were willing to accept what he wrote from the book?

Kevan Smith wrote:

>Well, first of all, I could go to a library, but it would be far quicker for him to type in a few
>sentences. Second, he cited a very old edition of the book, so, even if I went to the library, the
>passage he mentions may not be on the page he cited in the copy I get. In fact, the passage might
>not even be in newer editions of the work. In order to see exactly what he's citing, I'll have to
>get the same edition, and the odds aren't very good that my library will have it. In fact, I just
>checked my local library online, and they don't have a copy, anyway.

You're working harder at getting out of this than you would be by following up. Your library most
likely has a lending agreement with an entire network of libraries.

Pete H

--

Kevan Smith wrote:

>OR at least save myself a trip to the library.
>
>But, since you won't dish even when asked, I'm going to assume the passage doesn't say quite what
>you originally claimed. I'm a distrustful *******. It's a learned behavior from dealing with the
>GOP anti-clean-anything coalition here.

Read the book. It will do you good. Your asumption is based on zero evidence. The page says what I
claim it says.

Pete H

--

"Alan Poots" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Mike,
>
> your recent arguments against me show an impressive inability to conduct

hefty tome snipped

wow, this makes my pointless bickering with 12yr old "riderz" on mtbr.com look like time well
spent.....almost.

cheers

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 05:58:06 -0500, Peter H <[email protected]> from wrote:

>Kevan Smith wrote:
>

>>Well, first of all, I could go to a library, but it would be far quicker for him to type in a few
>>sentences. Second, he cited a very old edition of the book, so, even if I went to the library, the
>>passage he mentions may not be on the page he cited in the copy I get. In fact, the passage might
>>not even be in newer editions of the work. In order to see exactly what he's citing, I'll have to
>>get the same edition, and the odds aren't very good that my library will have it. In fact, I just
>>checked my local library online, and they don't have a copy, anyway.
>>

>You're working harder at getting out of this than you would be by following up. Your library most
>likely has a lending agreement with an entire network of libraries.

I don't like the paperwork and waiting involved with interlibrary loans. Like any good American, I
demand instant gratification! Anyway, why are you so afraid to provide four paragraphs?

--
[email protected]
Use an unacceptable color.

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 05:55:50 -0500, Peter H <[email protected]> from wrote:

>Kevan Smith wrote:
>

>>OR at least save myself a trip to the library.
>>
>>But, since you won't dish even when asked, I'm going to assume the passage doesn't say quite what
>>you originally claimed. I'm a distrustful *******. It's a learned behavior from dealing with the
>>GOP anti-clean-anything coalition here.
>>

>Read the book. It will do you good. Your asumption is based on zero evidence. The page says what I
>claim it says.

I've been to the bookstore and checked the library. Neither have it. I'm not going to order it,
because I can't afford it.

--
[email protected]
Simply a matter of work.

"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 05:58:06 -0500, Peter H <[email protected]> from
wrote:

> >Kevan Smith wrote:
> >

> >>Well, first of all, I could go to a library, but it would be far quicker
for him
> >>to type in a few sentences. Second, he cited a very old edition of the
book, so,
> >>even if I went to the library, the passage he mentions may not be on the
page he
> >>cited in the copy I get. In fact, the passage might not even be in newer editions of the work.
> >>In order to see exactly what he's citing, I'll
have to get
> >>the same edition, and the odds aren't very good that my library will
have it. In
> >>fact, I just checked my local library online, and they don't have a
copy,
> >>anyway.
> >>

> >You're working harder at getting out of this than you would be by following up. Your library most
> >likely has a lending agreement with an entire network of libraries.
>
> I don't like the paperwork and waiting involved with interlibrary loans.
=====================
So, your deliberate ignorance is more important, eh? Figures...

Like
> any good American, I demand instant gratification! Anyway, why are you so
afraid
> to provide four paragraphs?
>

> --
> [email protected] Use an unacceptable color. 49

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:30:11 -0500, "rick etter" <[email protected]> from
wrote:

>"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 05:58:06 -0500, Peter H <[email protected]> from
>wrote:

>for him
>book, so,
>page he
>have to get
>have it. In
>copy,
>> >>

>> >You're working harder at getting out of this than you would be by following up. Your library
>> >most likely has a lending agreement with an entire network of libraries.
>>
>> I don't like the paperwork and waiting involved with interlibrary loans.
>=====================
>So, your deliberate ignorance is more important, eh? Figures...

Gee, your argument might wash, except I'm asking for instruction, no?

--
[email protected]
Take a break.

Kevan Smith wrote:

>I don't like the paperwork and waiting involved with interlibrary loans. Like any good American, I
>demand instant gratification! Anyway, why are you so afraid to provide four paragraphs?

"Afraid?" I'm afraid not; I'm supplying citations that support my comments and if you wish to
challenge both my comments & the sources I use to suport them without entering fully into the
exchange, that's your own lookout.

Herewith two direct quotes from Brower - same work as cited above:

"Some of my colleagues make the error of trying to be sensible." "Objectivity is the greatest threat
to the United States today."

The book also covers in detail the direct statements of the Sierra Club's board of directors just
before & during the meeting in which they tossed Brower on his ear for being such a loose cannon.

Pete H

--
A person is free only in the freedom of other persons.
W. Berry

"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:30:11 -0500, "rick etter" <[email protected]>
from
> wrote:
>

> >"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...

> >for him
> >book, so,
> >page he
> >have to get
> >have it. In
> >copy,

> >> I don't like the paperwork and waiting involved with interlibrary
loans.
> >=====================
> >So, your deliberate ignorance is more important, eh? Figures...
>
> Gee, your argument might wash, except I'm asking for instruction, no?
====================
No, your asking him to post something that you will turn around and not believe anyway, because you
can't be bothered with an interlibarary loan. What a hoot. You've already accused him of not be
truthful about what the passge in question says, so why would you suddenly accept it without
hesitation. Learn to de research on your own, or remian in the ranks of the ignorant.

> --
> [email protected] Take a break. 121

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 12:34:33 -0500, "rick etter" <[email protected]> from
wrote:

>"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:30:11 -0500, "rick etter" <[email protected]>
>from
>> wrote:
>>

>> >"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> >news:[email protected]...

>quicker
>> >for him
>the
>> >book, so,
>the
>> >page he
>newer
>> >have to get
>> >have it. In
>> >copy,

>loans.
>> >So, your deliberate ignorance is more important, eh? Figures...
>>
>> Gee, your argument might wash, except I'm asking for instruction, no?
>No, your asking him to post something that you will turn around and not believe anyway, because you
>can't be bothered with an interlibarary loan. What a hoot.

Oh, you're projecting motive on me. Sorry, you're wrong.

--
[email protected]
Humanize something free of error.