Mountain Kills Mountain Biker

Status
Not open for further replies.
cheers pete. it is a shame that this is the case.

Alan "Peter H" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Alan Poots wrote:
>
> >To reply to you Mike:
> >
> >. . . . . . .
> >
> >
> >information that can be integrated into subsequent hypotheses.
> >
> >Sincerely, Alan Poots.
> >
> >
> >
> Not to doubt your sincerity for a moment.
>
> But you are beating a dead horse.
>
> VERY dead.
>
> MV, the ultimate androphobe, cannot be disuaded by mere facts or reality. His monomaniacle
> diatribes go on and on, seemingly endlessly, with ever-repeating boilerplate of sweeping
> generalities, "shoot-the-messenger" responses, wildly generalized vituperations, and sophomoric
> mud-slinging. This has gone on for a seemingly endless round of similarly-based threads that
> always seem to devolve into a dreary sameness. There's a small degree of entertainment in various
> responses of seemingly well-meaning folks trying to show the infinitude of errors MV blathers
> himself into; there's a deadly (DUH! and IDIOT!) familiarity to his portion of the interchange.
> One wonders . . . .
>
> But, then, reality is not only stranger than we think, it is stranger than we CAN think.
>
> Or, as the good Mr. Pepys would have it, "...and so to bed..."
>
> Pete H
>
> --
> A person is free only in the freedom of other persons.
> W. Berry

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 00:43:40 -0000, "Alan Poots" <[email protected]> wrote:

.To reply to you Mike: . . ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
.news:[email protected]... .> On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 17:48:47 -0000,
<[email protected]> wrote: .> .> . .> ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message .>
.news:[email protected]... .> .> On 7 Feb 2004 09:09:37 -0800,
[email protected] (Reco Diver) .wrote: .> .> .> .>> .> .> .> .> .3) Whether or not people
recreate there has no statistical bearing .on .> .> .> . predicting if cougars are abundant. .> .>
.> .> .> .> There's no proof of that. .> .> . .> .> .Do a basic lit review before passing judgement.
.> .> .> .> Don't forget, I have a Ph.D. and an MA in math. To prove that, a .scientist .> .would .>
.> have to REMOVE all humans from the experimental area. That will never .> .happen, .> .> because
humans are too selfish. .> .> .> . .> .to respond to the latest error on your part Mike. A scientist
would not .have .> .to remove all the humans from the park for at least two reasons: .> .1. humans
are an integral part of the biosphere in general, and of this .> .system in particular. .> .> Thanks
for demonstrating your ignorance. Humans are a VERY recent addition .to .> the ecosystem, making
them an exotic species -- NOT "an integral part of .the .> ecosystem". Be honest! Humans are as much
a part of the ecosystem as zebra .> mussels ar in SF Bay. . . .strangely mike, whether or not a
species is recent or not does not effect .its potential to be integral.

So a species can become native the day it arrives? BS.

many systems are utterly reliant on human .activity for their persistance - such as calcareous
grasslands, which would .otherwise turn into forested regions, with a resultant loss of habitat
for .many invertebrate assemblages; farmland bird's such as the cirl bunting are .reliant on
traditional farming methodologies; and savannah in africa is .maintained by grazing pressure and
fires - many of which are anthropogenic .in cause.

That doesn't make us native to those ecosystems. In fact, it proves we are NOT native. After enough
time has passed, the other species learn how to deal with the newcomer.

.in addition, do you suggest that humans should all return to Africa to where .it is believed that
speciation occurred?

No, it wouldn't help. That doesn't make us native to North America.

.Do you advocate the removal of species from islands because they migrated to .get there?

No, of course not.

.Perhaps no species should be dispersive?

See my paper below.

.Whislt i agree that humanity in general is having a terrifying effect on the .world's biota -
especially through anthropogenic introductions - humanity is .a part of nature and must be
considered when trying to solve ecological .problems.

Who said we shouldn't be "considered"? But zebra mussels are a part of nature, but NOT native to SF
Bay. Being a part of nature implies NOTHING. It is dishonest of you to imply that being a part of
nature means that it's okay for us to be wherever we want to go. That is just human rationalization,
nothing more.

And removal of humanity would not allow a "pure habitat", as a .result of pervasive atmospheric
and groundwater effects - to name a few.

It would be pure(ly) wildlife habitat, since there would be no humans there. It would be an
improvement over human presence.

.this is believed to have lead to the recent extinction of the golden toad, .despite the prevention
of access. . . . .> .> to remove them would be inappropriate to correct .> .modelling of the
situation, regardless of whether one believes them to .have .> .the right to be present. .> .2.
factorial principles of statistical design would allow examination of .> .the premise, by testing
for interactions using a GLM. .> .> Ah, yes: how to lie with statistics. Without removing the
humans, it is .> IMPOSSIBLE to know what the effect of removing the humans would be. That .is .>
obvious to anyone with half a brain. . .i did not suggest that one should lie through statistics. it
is , i agree, .possible to misrepresent the data through statistics , especially if the
.methodologies are not robust, and assumptions of statistical models are not .met.

Exactly.

a public misunderstanding of what statistics state, and to be fair .science in general, means that
this is done, allowing nefarious manipulation .of public perception towards an incorrect premise.

That's what you are doing: using phony statistics to justify what you want to happen.

.And as much as i didn't want to get technical - you have in previous .messages suggested the
complete removal of humans from the park. this is .not necessary.

Not necessary FOR WHOM? It IS necessary, if we want to prevent killings of humans by cougars, and to
give them the best chance to survive.

by using factorial design principles it is possible to .analyse heterogenous ecological data -
namely differences within a region. .so that for instance one part of the park with a level of
human usage of .(for example) 1 (or other arbitary and hypothetical value), and N other .variables
at levels Xn, can be compared to a parts with human usages of .diferent values - with N variables
at levels Xn. this would allow .extrapolation on an n-dimensional backdrop through multivariate
techniques .(appropraite to the data distribution), to explore the consequence of human .usage on
cougars, or other species, and thereby provide an ability to gauge .what the effect of removal
would be. these techinques are fully repeatable, .testable, and objective.

That is pure BS. It ASSUMES what you are trying to prove, and is thus circular logic. The only way
to know what will REALLY happen when humans are removed is to REMOVE them! IN YOUR OWN WORDS, you
are "EXTRAPOLATING". That is only valid if ... it's valid. You are ASSUMING it's valid. That is
exactly how so-called "scientists" lie with statistics. Of course, I don't expect you to admit it.

.but i am sure as an MA Mathematics you didn't need an explanation of .multivariate ecological
techniques, but others may well not have been aware .of these aspects.

You are being dishonest, because you haven't explained what your ASSUMPTIONS are.

.> Isuspect that you .> .have backed yourself into a corner as a result of erroneous assumptions .in
.> .your original arguments. .> .> "Suspicion" is not enough. You have to prove it (hint: you can't,
because .you .> are all wet). . .agreed, it had been raining a lot after all. And i need prove no
such .thing. i wished to allow people unaware of the previous parts to your .conversation to be made
aware of the possibility that the arguments may not .be based on correct premises ,and to allow you
a chance to re-evaluate your .position in the light of the presentation of alternate viewpoints by
authors .who demonstrate an appreciable,or at least researched, understanding of this .topic - such
as Jeff Strickland.

Thanks for picking the most dishonest of all of them to use as an example of a
"knowledgeable" person!

perhaps you could start a new thread with .a revised argument? an improved model as it were? .
.your aims are admirable in some senses, but naive in others. whilst humans .have been
demonstratably bad for the environment, any solution which .excludes them from consideration will
be inadequate.

That is a subjective judgment, not a fact.

.your suggestion that i have half a brain is offensive - at no point did i .suggest that your were
half-witted, merely that your hypothesis may be .grounded on incorrect assumptions. i hope that my
comments have not .offended, and that was certainly not the intention, but have provided
.information that can be integrated into subsequent hypotheses.

It is quite possible to be dishonest, or stupid (it is hard to distinguish those), while being
superficially polite.

.Sincerely, .Alan Poots.

What Is **** Sapiens' Place in Nature, From an Objective (Biocentric) Point of View? Michael J.
Vandeman, Ph.D. July 4, 2002

"For hundreds of millenia, evolving humanity was a native species ... in Africa and Asia. ... The
modern Races of **** sapiens were a true alien species when they colonized the rest of the world,
from Australia to the New World and finally the distant oceanic islands." E.O. Wilson, p.98.

"The behaviours animals use to avoid predators are both genetically based and learned. The genetic
component is acquired through natural selection and so can only slowly be developed. This may
account in part for the fact that most of the world's surviving large mammals live in Africa, for it
was there that humanity evolved, and it was only there that animals had the time to acquire the
genetically based behaviours that allowed them to cope with the new predator." Tim Flannery, p.198.

Many answers have been given to this question, but none, to my knowledge, based on science.
Even scientists, apparently, often avoid applying their knowledge when it may be
inconvenient (e.g., interfere with our preferred lifestyle). For example, open any biology
textbook and find where it defines "exotic species". Do you see any mention of the fact that
humans are, throughout most of our range, an exotic species -- or even a discussion of
whether we are an exotic species?
_______
If biology is so valuable (which I think it is), why do we shy away
__
from using it?

Another example: it is often claimed that humans are a natural part of our environment -- we
are just an animal like any other animal. If that is true, then why aren't humans mentioned
in the vast majority of natural histories? The fact is, we consider ourselves a part of our
ecosystems when it's convenient (e.g. when we want to justify recreation in wildlife
habitat), and not, when it's not
___
convenient (e.g. when choosing where to live: in a house!). When you
_____
die, will you re-enter the ecosystem just like any other dead organism? No! We are either cremated,
or buried in a box, specifically to avoid the natural process of decay.
_____

It is obvious that we are a part of nature, or we couldn't touch and interact with it. The
real question is Which part of nature are ____ _____ we?

Biology texts usually define an "exotic species" as one transported by humans to a new
location, where it hadn't existed before. However, this is not a good definition, since the
effect of the exotic species on its new surroundings has nothing to do with how it got
there, but more to do with the fact that it is a newcomer. However, every species was new at
some time in the past. So the
_____
question is, How long does it take to become a native species?

I would like to suggest that a length of time that makes sense, biologically, is the time
that it takes for the other species in the
_____
ecosystem to evolve (i.e., make persistent -- "beneficial" -- genetic changes) to adapt to the
newcomer -- say on the order of a million years. This would make humans (**** sapiens) native only
to (part of) Africa, and everywhere else, a relative newcomer -- an exotic species. (This is not a
value judgment, but simply a statement of biological fact.)

Does this mean that we should all move back to Africa? I don't think so -- it wouldn't help!
Even in Africa, our behavior changes so rapidly, on an evolutionary scale, that the only
things that can evolve fast enough to keep up with us are bacteria and viruses! So even in
Africa, we might as well consider ourselves an exotic species.

But what I do think it means is that we should act with restraint -- with the manners of a
guest! What does this mean in practice? I think it means, first of all, to "listen" to other
species, and what they are trying to tell us! For example, what is the first thing that
every child learns about wildlife? That they don't want us around: that they run away
whenever we try to approach them! And then, of course, because we are the curious animals
that we are, we proceed to ignore their wishes.

Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey, and Birute Galdikas all had the same experience when they began
trying to study apes in the wild: the apes didn't want them around! They "told" the
researchers that clearly and unequivocally. Jane couldn't get close to the chimpanzees until
she started bribing them with bananas. The gorillas charged Dian and tried to scare her
away. And the orangutans pushed over trees toward Birute, apparently trying to kill or
intimidate her. The apes desperately need us to deliver their message to the rest of
humanity. Although the message is impossible to miss, most humans ignore it. Rather than
arguing over to what degree the apes resemble or differ from humans, the most important
message that we can derive from studying them is that they want to be left alone!

This is perhaps a bitter pill, but one that humanity urgently needs to take. With our
population increasing rapidly, it is more important than ever to give wildlife what they
want, which is also,
____
therefore, what they need: freedom from the pressure, irritation,
____
infection with diseases, and outright danger of the presence of humans. It is utterly inexcusable
that we continue extending our hegemony into every square inch of the Earth -- and soon, other
defenseless planets as well.

This is a tall order? Very well, then it is a tall order. But I do not see why we shouldn't
aim for what is needed, instead of pretending that less is adequate.

References:

Ehrlich, Paul R. and Ehrlich, Anne H., Extinction: The Causes and Consequences of the Disappearances
of Species. New York: Random House, 1981.

Foreman, Dave, Confessions of an Eco-Warrior. New York: Harmony Books, 1991.

Knight, Richard L. and Kevin J. Gutzwiller, eds. Wildlife and Recreationists. Covelo, California:
Island Press, c.1995.

Noss, Reed F. and Allen Y. Cooperrider, Saving Nature's Legacy: Protecting and Restoring
Biodiversity. Island Press, Covelo, California, 1994.

Stone, Christopher D., Should Trees Have Standing? Toward Legal Rights for Natural Objects. Los
Altos, California: William Kaufmann, Inc., 1973.

Vandeman, Michael J., http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande, especially
http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/ecocity3.htm, http://home.pacbell.net/ mjvande/india3.htm,
http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/sc8.htm, and http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/goodall.htm.

Ward, Peter Douglas, The End of Evolution: On Mass Extinctions and the Preservation of Biodiversity.
New York: Bantam Books, 1994.

"The Wildlands Project", Wild Earth. Richmond, Vermont: The Cenozoic Society, 1994.

===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 21:24:00 -0500, Peter H <[email protected]> wrote:

.Alan Poots wrote: . .>To reply to you Mike: .> .>. . . . . . . .> .> .>information that can be
integrated into subsequent hypotheses. .> .>Sincerely, .>Alan Poots. .> .> .> .Not to doubt your
sincerity for a moment. . .But you are beating a dead horse. . .VERY dead. . .MV, the ultimate
androphobe, cannot be disuaded by mere facts or .reality. His monomaniacle diatribes go on and on,
seemingly endlessly, .with ever-repeating boilerplate of sweeping generalities, ."shoot-the-
messenger" responses, wildly generalized vituperations, and .sophomoric mud-slinging. This has gone
on for a seemingly endless round .of similarly-based threads that always seem to devolve into a
dreary .sameness. There's a small degree of entertainment in various responses .of seemingly well-
meaning folks trying to show the infinitude of errors .MV blathers himself into; there's a deadly
(DUH! and IDIOT!) familiarity .to his portion of the interchange. One wonders . . . .

Did you say something?

.But, then, reality is not only stranger than we think, it is stranger .than we CAN think. . .Or, as
the good Mr. Pepys would have it, "...and so to bed..." . .Pete H

===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Mike,

your recent arguments against me show an impressive inability to conduct thought experiments, to
understand reasoning, and a remarkable ability to ignore what i am actually saying. by attempting to
produce reasoned arguments and to provide methodologies you could use to test your case i have
received nothing but the inane ramblings of an arrogant and, it would appear, ignorant, tyro.

particularly worrying is your lack of understanding of statistics - i have not at any point in these
messages conducted statistics, thus i have not made statistical assumptions. you are supposedly a
mathematician, something which is not in evidence in your comments. removal is not necessary: FOR
EXAMINATION OF THE PROBLEM, clear? examining the effects of known human usage on cougars to predict
unknown effects is not circular. i have not assumed validity, becuase i have not made statistical
assumptions in these messages - i have not carried out statistics, but thought experiments.
assumpitions are made that depend upon the nature of the data, thus i wouldnt use a normal
distribution data assumption, to analyse poisson data, unless the central limit theorem where
demonstratably applicable.

in addition, you state you don't want humans killed by cougars, despite representations in other
threads that advocated the mistreatment of cyclists. related to that i note on your website that you
enjoy cylcing but dislike mountain bikers and road building. so as you dislike roads and off-road
cycling, do you cycle in space? or perhaps just your head?

i never said that a species is native on arrival, merely that it can become integral, as a result of
ecological shifts - and bear in mind not all arrivals are anthropogenic, and many have been equally
damaging - for instance the devastation of South America Fauna after the formation of the Panamanian
landbridge. the invasive species are however integral to the ecology of the amazon basin.

that systems are dependent on humanity does not make humans native i agree. but it makes humans
integral to the ecosystem processes that enable the persistence of species that would otherwise go
extinct or be exterpated - calcareous grasslands in the U.K and lepidopterans spring to mind. and
humans are a part of nature - without natural selection humanity would not have evolved.

jeff strickland may not be knowledgeable - but if you read my sentence, i used the proviso "at least
researched" in the structure.

your point that it is subjective to state that humans should be left in, is no less subjective than
to say they should be removed. futhermore. any human theory is subjective, it has come from a
person, but it is possible to analyse them objectively. indeed a biocentric viewpoint is still
subjective, it was proposed by humans.

to your point that pure wildlife habitat would be an improvement, i agree - but it didnt help the
golden toad did it? other factors are at work, potentially groundwater pollution in this case.
humanity must be considered ( defined as: Of or characterized by deliberate thought- Oxford English
Dictionary second edition) in order to provide an adequate solution to these issues.

to your last point that it is possible to be dishonest or stupid whilst being superficially polite,
i will say you are in no danger of that. your stupidity, impoliteness and incivility are plain.

However, it is painfully obvious that any reasoned argument will not work with you - you are a
person of beliefs. beliefs cannot be refuted, unlike scientific hypotheses and ideas, and thus i
shall leave you to them. indeed i respect your right to have them, but i will no longer engage in
attempts of dialogue. i wish you a happy life.

Sincerely, Alan Poots

Biodiversity Conservation Research Group, Oxford University.

"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 00:43:40 -0000, "Alan Poots" <[email protected]>
wrote:
>
> .To reply to you Mike: . . ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> .news:[email protected]... .> On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 17:48:47 -0000,
> <[email protected]> wrote: .> .> . .> ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> .> .news:[email protected]... .> .> On 7 Feb 2004 09:09:37 -0800,
> [email protected] (Reco Diver) .wrote: .> .> .> .>> .> .> .> .> .3) Whether or not people
> recreate there has no statistical
bearing
> .on .> .> .> . predicting if cougars are abundant. .> .> .> .> .> .> There's no proof of that. .>
> .> . .> .> .Do a basic lit review before passing judgement. .> .> .> .> Don't forget, I have a
> Ph.D. and an MA in math. To prove that, a .scientist .> .would .> .> have to REMOVE all humans
> from the experimental area. That will
never
> .> .happen, .> .> because humans are too selfish. .> .> .> . .> .to respond to the latest error on
> your part Mike. A scientist would
not
> .have .> .to remove all the humans from the park for at least two reasons: .> .1. humans are an
> integral part of the biosphere in general, and of
this
> .> .system in particular. .> .> Thanks for demonstrating your ignorance. Humans are a VERY recent
addition
> .to .> the ecosystem, making them an exotic species -- NOT "an integral part
of
> .the .> ecosystem". Be honest! Humans are as much a part of the ecosystem as
zebra
> .> mussels ar in SF Bay. . . .strangely mike, whether or not a species is recent or not does not
> effect .its potential to be integral.
>
> So a species can become native the day it arrives? BS.
>
> many systems are utterly reliant on human .activity for their persistance - such as calcareous
> grasslands, which
would
> .otherwise turn into forested regions, with a resultant loss of habitat
for
> .many invertebrate assemblages; farmland bird's such as the cirl bunting
are
> .reliant on traditional farming methodologies; and savannah in africa is .maintained by grazing
> pressure and fires - many of which are
anthropogenic
> .in cause.
>
> That doesn't make us native to those ecosystems. In fact, it proves we are
NOT
> native. After enough time has passed, the other species learn how to deal
with
> the newcomer.
>
> .in addition, do you suggest that humans should all return to Africa to
where
> .it is believed that speciation occurred?
>
> No, it wouldn't help. That doesn't make us native to North America.
>
> .Do you advocate the removal of species from islands because they migrated
to
> .get there?
>
> No, of course not.
>
> .Perhaps no species should be dispersive?
>
> See my paper below.
>
> .Whislt i agree that humanity in general is having a terrifying effect on
the
> .world's biota - especially through anthropogenic introductions - humanity
is
> .a part of nature and must be considered when trying to solve ecological .problems.
>
> Who said we shouldn't be "considered"? But zebra mussels are a part of
nature,
> but NOT native to SF Bay. Being a part of nature implies NOTHING. It is dishonest of you to imply
> that being a part of nature means that it's okay
for
> us to be wherever we want to go. That is just human rationalization,
nothing
> more.
>
> And removal of humanity would not allow a "pure habitat", as a .result of pervasive atmospheric
> and groundwater effects - to name a few.
>
> It would be pure(ly) wildlife habitat, since there would be no humans
there. It
> would be an improvement over human presence.
>
> .this is believed to have lead to the recent extinction of the golden
toad,
> .despite the prevention of access. . . . .> .> to remove them would be inappropriate to correct .>
> .modelling of the situation, regardless of whether one believes them to .have .> .the right to be
> present. .> .2. factorial principles of statistical design would allow examination
of
> .> .the premise, by testing for interactions using a GLM. .> .> Ah, yes: how to lie with
> statistics. Without removing the humans, it is .> IMPOSSIBLE to know what the effect of removing
> the humans would be.
That
> .is .> obvious to anyone with half a brain. . .i did not suggest that one should lie through
> statistics. it is , i
agree,
> .possible to misrepresent the data through statistics , especially if the .methodologies are not
> robust, and assumptions of statistical models are
not
> .met.
>
> Exactly.
>
> a public misunderstanding of what statistics state, and to be fair
> .science in general, means that this is done, allowing nefarious
manipulation
> .of public perception towards an incorrect premise.
>
> That's what you are doing: using phony statistics to justify what you want
to
> happen.
>
> .And as much as i didn't want to get technical - you have in previous .messages suggested the
> complete removal of humans from the park. this is .not necessary.
>
> Not necessary FOR WHOM? It IS necessary, if we want to prevent killings of humans by cougars, and
> to give them the best chance to survive.
>
> by using factorial design principles it is possible to .analyse heterogenous ecological data -
> namely differences within a
region.
> .so that for instance one part of the park with a level of human usage of .(for example) 1 (or
> other arbitary and hypothetical value), and N other .variables at levels Xn, can be compared to a
> parts with human usages of .diferent values - with N variables at levels Xn. this would allow
> .extrapolation on an n-dimensional backdrop through multivariate
techniques
> .(appropraite to the data distribution), to explore the consequence of
human
> .usage on cougars, or other species, and thereby provide an ability to
gauge
> .what the effect of removal would be. these techinques are fully
repeatable,
> .testable, and objective.
>
> That is pure BS. It ASSUMES what you are trying to prove, and is thus
circular
> logic. The only way to know what will REALLY happen when humans are
removed is
> to REMOVE them! IN YOUR OWN WORDS, you are "EXTRAPOLATING". That is only
valid
> if ... it's valid. You are ASSUMING it's valid. That is exactly how
so-called
> "scientists" lie with statistics. Of course, I don't expect you to admit
it.
>
> .but i am sure as an MA Mathematics you didn't need an explanation of .multivariate ecological
> techniques, but others may well not have been
aware
> .of these aspects.
>
> You are being dishonest, because you haven't explained what your
ASSUMPTIONS
> are.
>
> .> Isuspect that you .> .have backed yourself into a corner as a result of erroneous
assumptions
> .in .> .your original arguments. .> .> "Suspicion" is not enough. You have to prove it (hint:
> you can't,
because
> .you .> are all wet). . .agreed, it had been raining a lot after all. And i need prove no such
> .thing. i wished to allow people unaware of the previous parts to your .conversation to be made
> aware of the possibility that the arguments may
not
> .be based on correct premises ,and to allow you a chance to re-evaluate
your
> .position in the light of the presentation of alternate viewpoints by
authors
> .who demonstrate an appreciable,or at least researched, understanding of
this
> .topic - such as Jeff Strickland.
>
> Thanks for picking the most dishonest of all of them to use as an example
of a
> "knowledgeable" person!
>
> perhaps you could start a new thread with .a revised argument? an improved model as it were? .
> .your aims are admirable in some senses, but naive in others. whilst
humans
> .have been demonstratably bad for the environment, any solution which .excludes them from
> consideration will be inadequate.
>
> That is a subjective judgment, not a fact.
>
> .your suggestion that i have half a brain is offensive - at no point did i .suggest that your were
> half-witted, merely that your hypothesis may be .grounded on incorrect assumptions. i hope that my
> comments have not .offended, and that was certainly not the intention, but have provided
> .information that can be integrated into subsequent hypotheses.
>
> It is quite possible to be dishonest, or stupid (it is hard to distinguish those), while being
> superficially polite.
>
> .Sincerely, .Alan Poots.
>
> What Is **** Sapiens' Place in Nature, From an Objective (Biocentric) Point of View? Michael J.
> Vandeman, Ph.D. July 4, 2002
>
> "For hundreds of millenia, evolving humanity was a native species ... in
Africa
> and Asia. ... The modern Races of **** sapiens were a true alien species
when
> they colonized the rest of the world, from Australia to the New World and finally the distant
> oceanic islands." E.O. Wilson, p.98.
>
> "The behaviours animals use to avoid predators are both genetically based
and
> learned. The genetic component is acquired through natural selection and
so can
> only slowly be developed. This may account in part for the fact that most
of the
> world's surviving large mammals live in Africa, for it was there that
humanity
> evolved, and it was only there that animals had the time to acquire the genetically based
> behaviours that allowed them to cope with the new
predator."
> Tim Flannery, p.198.
>
> Many answers have been given to this question, but none, to my knowledge, based on science. Even
> scientists, apparently, often avoid applying their knowledge when it may be inconvenient (e.g.,
> interfere with our preferred lifestyle). For example, open any biology textbook and find where it
> defines "exotic species". Do you see any mention of the fact that humans are, throughout most of
> our range, an exotic species -- or even a discussion of whether we are an exotic species?
> _______
> If biology is so valuable (which I think it is), why do we shy away
> __
> from using it?
>
> Another example: it is often claimed that humans are a natural part of our environment -- we are
> just an animal like any other animal. If that is true, then why aren't humans mentioned in the
> vast majority of natural histories? The fact is, we consider ourselves a part of our ecosystems
> when it's convenient (e.g. when we want to justify recreation in wildlife habitat), and not, when
> it's not
> ___
> convenient (e.g. when choosing where to live: in a house!). When you
> _____
> die, will you re-enter the ecosystem just like any other dead organism? No! We are either
> cremated, or buried in a box, specifically to avoid the natural process of decay.
> _____
>
> It is obvious that we are a part of nature, or we couldn't touch and interact with it. The real
> question is Which part of nature are ____ _____ we?
>
> Biology texts usually define an "exotic species" as one transported by humans to a new
> location, where it hadn't existed before. However, this is not a good definition, since the
> effect of the exotic species on its new surroundings has nothing to do with how it got there,
> but more to do with the fact that it is a newcomer. However, every species was new at some time
> in the past. So the
> _____
> question is, How long does it take to become a native species?
> _________________________________________________
>
> I would like to suggest that a length of time that makes sense, biologically, is the time that it
> takes for the other species in the
> _____
> ecosystem to evolve (i.e., make persistent -- "beneficial" -- genetic changes) to adapt to the
> newcomer -- say on the order of a million years. This would make humans (**** sapiens) native only
> to (part of) Africa, and everywhere else, a relative newcomer -- an exotic species. (This is not a
> value judgment, but simply a statement of biological fact.)
>
> Does this mean that we should all move back to Africa? I don't think so -- it wouldn't help! Even
> in Africa, our behavior changes so rapidly, on an evolutionary scale, that the only things that
> can evolve fast enough to keep up with us are bacteria and viruses! So even in Africa, we might as
> well consider ourselves an exotic species.
>
> But what I do think it means is that we should act with restraint -- with the manners of a guest!
> What does this mean in practice? I think it means, first of all, to "listen" to other species, and
> what they are trying to tell us! For example, what is the first thing that every child learns
> about wildlife? That they don't want us around: that they run away whenever we try to approach
> them! And then, of course, because we are the curious animals that we are, we proceed to ignore
> their wishes.
>
> Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey, and Birute Galdikas all had the same experience when they began trying
> to study apes in the wild: the apes didn't want them around! They "told" the researchers that
> clearly and unequivocally. Jane couldn't get close to the chimpanzees until she started bribing
> them with bananas. The gorillas charged Dian and tried to scare her away. And the orangutans
> pushed over trees toward Birute, apparently trying to kill or intimidate her. The apes desperately
> need us to deliver their message to the rest of humanity. Although the message is impossible to
> miss, most humans ignore it. Rather than arguing over to what degree the apes resemble or differ
> from humans, the most important message that we can derive from studying them is that they want to
> be left alone!
>
> This is perhaps a bitter pill, but one that humanity urgently needs to take. With our population
> increasing rapidly, it is more important than ever to give wildlife what they want, which is also,
> ____
> therefore, what they need: freedom from the pressure, irritation,
> ____
> infection with diseases, and outright danger of the presence of humans. It is utterly inexcusable
> that we continue extending our hegemony into every square inch of the Earth -- and soon, other
> defenseless planets as well.
>
> This is a tall order? Very well, then it is a tall order. But I do not see why we shouldn't aim
> for what is needed, instead of pretending that less is adequate.
>
> References:
>
> Ehrlich, Paul R. and Ehrlich, Anne H., Extinction: The Causes and Consequences of the
> Disappearances of Species. New York: Random House, 1981.
>
> Foreman, Dave, Confessions of an Eco-Warrior. New York: Harmony Books, 1991.
>
> Knight, Richard L. and Kevin J. Gutzwiller, eds. Wildlife and Recreationists. Covelo, California:
> Island Press, c.1995.
>
> Noss, Reed F. and Allen Y. Cooperrider, Saving Nature's Legacy: Protecting and Restoring
> Biodiversity. Island Press, Covelo, California, 1994.
>
> Stone, Christopher D., Should Trees Have Standing? Toward Legal Rights for Natural Objects. Los
> Altos, California: William Kaufmann, Inc., 1973.
>
> Vandeman, Michael J., http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande, especially
> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/ecocity3.htm, http://home.pacbell.net/ mjvande/india3.htm,
> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/sc8.htm, and http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/goodall.htm.
>
> Ward, Peter Douglas, The End of Evolution: On Mass Extinctions and the Preservation of
> Biodiversity. New York: Bantam Books, 1994.
>
> "The Wildlands Project", Wild Earth. Richmond, Vermont: The Cenozoic Society, 1994.
>
> ===
> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
> help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

"Alan Poots" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Mike, [Vandeman] .. your point that pure wildlife habitat would be an improvement, i agree - but
> it didnt help the golden toad did it? other factors are at work, potentially groundwater pollution
> in this case. humanity must be considered in order to provide an adequate solution to these
> issues. However, it is painfully obvious that any reasoned argument will not work with you - you
> are a person of beliefs. beliefs cannot be refuted, unlike scientific hypotheses and ideas, and
> thus i shall leave you to them. Alan Poots, Biodiversity Conservation Research Group, Oxford
> University.
>
> "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
> > help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

Alan, You seem to be a sincere, rational and thoughtful greenie. So, why have you not realized that
most enviros are "person of beliefs" obsessed & compelled by strong to exclusive financial and
profit motives? Vandeman seems to be one of them. I got the impression long time ago that all he
wants is to get title to free real estate in his name. Once it's his, let some time pass and then he
does "improve and manage" it Vandeman style and he'll milk it for every dime.

Alan, face the sad fact that the public has recognized that a lot of such shenanigans have been and
are going on, all machinations and a cover to get grants, permit charges & user fees for the green
*****, be they consultants, activists or regulators, which is why folks now say that
=== Environmentalism is just a despicable, evil money (green) game, === without any redeeming value,
=== nor any intent to save anything. This == scam has come to an end. Now, all the green ***** are
=== whining... ===

It had to come to this, Allan, this once noble idea was inevitably doomed to be perverted and whored
down, from the outset, once people followed the edicts of their green icons, idols and role models
like the following

-----***** start: Quotes from environmental leaders *****-----

"We have to offer up scary scenarios, make simplified, dramatic statements, and make little mention
of any doubts we may have. Each of us has to decide what the right balance is between being
effective and being honest."
- Stephen Schneider (Stanford professor who first sought fame as a global cooler, but has now hit
the big time as a global warmer)

"It doesn't matter what is true ... it only matters what people believe is true ... You are what the
media define you to be. Greenpeace became a myth, and a myth-generating machine."
-- Paul Watson, co/founder of Greenpeace and Sea Shepard

"If you don't know an answer, a fact, a statistic, then .... make it up on the spot ... for the
mass-media today ... the truth is irrelevant." -- Paul Watson in Earthforce: An Earth Warrior's
Guide to Strategy.

"A lot of environmental messages are simply not accurate. But that's the way we sell messages in
this society. We use hype." -- Dr. Jerry Franklin, Ecologist, Univ.of Washington

"We already have too much economic growth in the United States. Economic growth in rich countries
like ours is the disease, not the cure." -- Paul Elrich, Stanford U biologist and Advisor to Vice
President Gore

"A global climate treaty must be implemented even if there is no scientific evidence to back the
greenhouse effect." -- Richard Benedict, an employee for the State Department working on assignment
for the Conservation Foundation

"We in the Green movement, aspire to a cultural model in which the killing of a forest will be
considered more contemptible and more criminal than the sale of 6-year-old children to Asian
brothels." -- Carl Amery, Green Party of West Germany

"I got the impression that instead of going out to shoot birds, I should go out and shoot the kids
who shoot birds." -- Paul Watson, founder of Greenpeace and Sea Shepherd

-----***** end: Quotes from environmental leaders *****-

hanson wrote:

>snip
>
>-----***** start: Quotes from environmental leaders *****-----
>
>snip collection of interesting quotes
>
>-----***** end: Quotes from environmental leaders *****-
>
>
You may be interested to learn that one of the oldest mantras of the greenies, that the U.S. w/ 6%
of the world's population consumes 60% of the world's resources, is over 40 years old & was made up
by an associate of David Brower who then used it as one of the verbal weapons in turning the Sierra
Club into a nationally inluential group. When asked whether the associate had researched his
figures, Brower replied no, but that they "sounded right," and he saw no reason to cease using them
even if called to account.

There are four basic tenets to the hissy-fit brand of environmentalism:

1) Use grand & sweeping generalities with little or no factual backup. When questioned as to the
generalities' validity, repeat them louder & longer.

2) Appeal to emotion rather than reason. When prompted for a return to reason rather than emotion,
refer to response in step 1.

3) Use carefully extracted quotations & offer agenda-driven interpretations of those
quotations. When reminded that the original might have a differing interpretation, refer to
response in step 1.

4) Lie. Response to challenges by now should be automatic.

Pete H

--
A person is free only in the freedom of other persons.
W. Berry

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:15:35 -0500, Peter H <[email protected]> from wrote:

>You may be interested to learn that one of the oldest mantras of the greenies, that the U.S. w/ 6%
>of the world's population consumes 60% of the world's resources, is over 40 years old & was made up
>by an associate of David Brower who then used it as one of the verbal weapons in turning the Sierra
>Club into a nationally inluential group. When asked whether the associate had researched his
>figures, Brower replied no, but that they "sounded right," and he saw no reason to cease using them
>even if called to account.
>
>There are four basic tenets to the hissy-fit brand of environmentalism:
>
>1) Use grand & sweeping generalities with little or no factual backup. When questioned as to the
> generalities' validity, repeat them louder & longer.
>
>2) Appeal to emotion rather than reason. When prompted for a return to reason rather than emotion,
> refer to response in step 1.
>
>3) Use carefully extracted quotations & offer agenda-driven interpretations of those quotations.
> When reminded that the original might have a differing interpretation, refer to response in
> step 1.
>
>4) Lie. Response to challenges by now should be automatic.

OK, so what's the correct figure? The U.S with _____ percent of the world's population consumes
_____ percent of the world's resources.
--
[email protected]
Fill every beat with something.

Kevan Smith wrote:

>>
>>
>OK, so what's the correct figure? The U.S with _____ percent of the world's population consumes
>_____ percent of the world's resources.
>--
>
>
>
Don't know. In this particular case it's not important. What is important is that someone managed to
get huge mileage from a fabrication.

Pete H

--
W. Berry

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 17:52:14 -0500, Peter H <[email protected]> from wrote:

>Kevan Smith wrote:
>
>>>
>>>
>>OK, so what's the correct figure? The U.S with _____ percent of the world's population consumes
>>_____ percent of the world's resources.
>>--
>>
>>
>>
>Don't know. In this particular case it's not important. What is important is that someone managed
>to get huge mileage from a fabrication.

How do you know it's a fabrication if you don't know what the "correct" figures are?

It is important. You can say whatever you like to impugn the source, but, unless you provide facts
to refute the claim, you're just engaging in the same **** you're complaining about.

Here are some claims you can refute:

If every person in the world were to consume as much as the average American, given current
technologies, it would take four extra Earths to provide the land and shallow seas all the food,
water, housing, energy, absorption that people would demand.

Americans make up only 5 percent of the world's population, yet consume a third of the world's
resources and produce close to half of the world's hazardous waste.

The average person in North America consumes five times as much as the average person in
Mexico, ten times as much as the average person in China and thirty times as much as the
average person in India.

On average, a person in the U.S. consumes more than twice the amount of energy than does a person in
the United Kingdom, France, Italy, Germany or Japan.

The U.S. produces 25 percent of the world's carbon emissions. In 1999, greenhouse emissions were 12
percent greater than they were in 1990. Each U.S. citizen is responsible for between five and six
metric tons of carbon emissions per year.

The average price of gasoline in the U.S. is $1.53 per gallon, making it cheaper than milk spring
water or coffee. Many European countries place higher taxes on gasoline in order to encourage the
use of public transportation.

Sources: Wilson, E. O. (2002) The Bottleneck at

http://www.sciam.com; http://www.pbs.org/kcts/affluenza; http://www.epa.gov/globalwarming;
http://www20.cera.com/gasoline/summary

Americans, while making up only four percent of the world's population, operate one third of its
automobiles. U.S. citizens consume one quarter of the world's global energy supply.

http://www.cnn.com/US/9910/12/population.cosumption/

I got these with this search:

http://www.google.com/search?q=U.S.+consumes+percent+world+resources&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-
8&c2coff=1&safe=off&start=0&sa=N

Will you refute them with facts or just say it's hysteria without showing why?

--
[email protected]
Use fewer notes.

"Peter H" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Kevan Smith wrote:
> >OK, so what's the correct figure? The U.S with _____ percent of the world's population consumes
> >_____ percent of the world's resources.
> >--
>
It doesn't matter. And the more the better. It was the USA people who started some 250 years ago to
shape and scrape a living out of a vast wilderness. The comfort level (consumption) they have
achieved had an immense cost in suffering, sweat and tears and lives. We paid for these cost of our
luxury and consumption in full. Now, some uncouth, gross and commie-green assholes, domestic and

All you green turds do is whine, suck and feed off the public through and wait for the graft and
handouts from your extortions via permit costs and user fees. Instead, work and sweat a bit to
improve your own living standard and do NOT attempt to drag us (who pay for your misanthropic
existence) down to your retrograde way of life....and hoping to take political control to institute
even more green taxes,.... which is what all you green ***** really are after under the guise of
"environmentalism".

Luckily, people have caught onto your machinations and seen that
= Environmentalism is just a despicable, evil money (green) game, = without any redeeming value, nor
= any intent to save anything. This = scam has come to an end. Now, all the green ***** are
= whining... =

> > U.S with _____ % of the world's opulation consumes _____%

> Don't know. In this particular case it's not important. What is important is that someone managed
> to get huge mileage from a fabrication. Pete H
>

Exactly! Pete, "to get hugemileage from a fabrication", that was and is their standard operating
procedure as outlined in the edicts & philosophy of their idols, icon and leaders as can be seen
here in these: -----***** start: Quotes from environmental leaders *****-----

"We already have too much economic growth in the United States. Economic growth in rich countries
like ours is the disease, not the cure." -- Paul Elrich, Stanford U biologist and Advisor to Vice
President Gore

"We have to offer up scary scenarios, make simplified, dramatic statements, and make little mention
of any doubts we may have. Each of us has to decide what the right balance is between being
- Stephen Schneider (Stanford professor who first sought fame as a global cooler, but has now hit

"It doesn't matter what is true ... it only matters what people believe is true ... You are what the
media define you to be. Greenpeace became a myth, and a myth-generating machine."
-- Paul Watson, co/founder of Greenpeace and Sea Shepard

"If you don't know an answer, a fact, a statistic, then .... make it up on the spot ... for the
mass-media today ... the truth is irrelevant." -- Paul Watson in Earthforce: An Earth Warrior's
Guide to Strategy.

"A lot of environmental messages are simply not accurate. But that's the way we sell messages in
this society. We use hype." -- Dr. Jerry Franklin, Ecologist, Univ.of Washington

"A global climate treaty must be implemented even if there is no scientific evidence to back the
greenhouse effect." -- Richard Benedict, an employee for the State Department working on assignment

"We in the Green movement, aspire to a cultural model in which the killing of a forest will be
considered more contemptible and more criminal than the sale of 6-year-old children to Asian

"I got the impression that instead of going out to shoot birds, I should go out and shoot the kids

-----***** end: Quotes from environmental leaders *****-----

"Alan Poots" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mike,
>
>your recent arguments against me show an impressive inability to conduct thought experiments, to
>understand reasoning, and a remarkable ability to ignore what i am actually saying.

Another newbie figures out he is "arguing" with a brick wall. Drop it, move on and ignore Mike and
all the trolls. This has been going on for many, many years and every newbie that comes along thinks
he or she has the magic statement that will break through. Hint: they don't. Never will. It will
always be a total waste of your time and bandwidth.

Thus concludes my yearly post to a MV thread.

Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 17:47:41 -0600, Kevan Smith wrote:

> Will you refute them with facts or just say it's hysteria without showing why?

Wouldn't it instead be sufficient to say your observations have absolutely nothing to do with the
vast majority of newsgroups to which they were posted? Or AT LEAST that they has nothing to do with
the (ludicrous) original thread about mountain lions & cyclists?

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 17:52:14 -0500, Peter H <[email protected]> from
wrote:
>
> >Kevan Smith wrote:
> >
> >>>
> >>>
> >>OK, so what's the correct figure? The U.S with _____ percent of the
world's
> >>population consumes _____ percent of the world's resources.
> >>--
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >Don't know. In this particular case it's not important. What is important is that someone managed
> >to get huge mileage from a fabrication.
>
> How do you know it's a fabrication if you don't know what the "correct"
figures
> are?
>
> It is important. You can say whatever you like to impugn the source, but,
unless
> you provide facts to refute the claim, you're just engaging in the same
> you're complaining about.
>
> Here are some claims you can refute:
>
> If every person in the world were to consume as much as the average
American,
> given current technologies, it would take four extra Earths to provide the
land
> and shallow seas all the food, water, housing, energy, absorption that
people
> would demand.
>
> Americans make up only 5 percent of the world's population, yet consume a
third
> of the world's resources and produce close to half of the world's
hazardous
> waste.
>
> The average person in North America consumes five times as much as the
average
> person in Mexico, ten times as much as the average person in China and
thirty
> times as much as the average person in India.
>
> On average, a person in the U.S. consumes more than twice the amount of
energy
> than does a person in the United Kingdom, France, Italy, Germany or Japan.
>
> The U.S. produces 25 percent of the world's carbon emissions. In 1999, greenhouse emissions were
> 12 percent greater than they were in 1990. Each
U.S.
> citizen is responsible for between five and six metric tons of carbon
emissions
> per year.
>
> The average price of gasoline in the U.S. is $1.53 per gallon, making it
cheaper
> than milk spring water or coffee. Many European countries place higher
taxes on
> gasoline in order to encourage the use of public transportation.
>
> Sources: Wilson, E. O. (2002) The Bottleneck at
>
> http://www.sciam.com; http://www.pbs.org/kcts/affluenza; http://www.epa.gov/globalwarming;
> http://www20.cera.com/gasoline/summary
>
> Americans, while making up only four percent of the world's population,
operate
> one third of its automobiles. U.S. citizens consume one quarter of the
world's
> global energy supply.
>
> http://www.cnn.com/US/9910/12/population.cosumption/
>
> I got these with this search:
>
>
http://www.google.com/search?q=U.S.+consumes+percent+world+resources&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-
8&c2coff=1&safe=off&start=0&sa=N
>
> Will you refute them with facts or just say it's hysteria without showing
why?
=======================
And the 'facts' you posted don't even agree with each other. Better read your sites before you put
them out for comparisons.

> --
> [email protected] Use fewer notes. 68

Alan Poots wrote:
> Mike,
>

<snip>

>
>
> Sincerely, Alan Poots
>
> Biodiversity Conservation Research Group, Oxford University.
>

scary.

Greg

--
"Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late, the battles we fought were long and hard,
just not to be consumed by rock n' roll..." - The Mekons

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 23:57:38 GMT, "hanson" <[email protected]> from EarthLink
Inc. -- http://www.EarthLink.net wrote:

>Luckily, people have caught onto your machinations and seen that
>= Environmentalism is just a despicable, evil money (green) game, = without any redeeming value,
>= nor any intent to save anything. This = scam has come to an end. Now, all the green ***** are
>= whining... =

The invisible rays make you say all that?

--
[email protected]
Only one element of each kind.

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 23:57:38 GMT, "hanson" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Peter H" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Kevan Smith wrote:
>> >OK, so what's the correct figure? The U.S with _____ percent of the world's population consumes
>> >_____ percent of the world's resources.
>> >--
>>
>It doesn't matter. And the more the better. It was the USA people who started some 250 years ago to
>shape and scrape a living out of a vast wilderness. The comfort level (consumption) they have
>achieved had an immense cost in suffering, sweat and tears and lives. We paid for these cost of our
>luxury and consumption in full. Now, some uncouth, gross and commie-green assholes, domestic and

ROTFL. Exactly what did YOU do, besides become the biggest

brat you think you are entitled to it because some faceless person in the dim dark past
worked and died.

>
>All you green turds do is whine, suck and feed off the public through and wait for the graft and
>handouts from your extortions via permit costs and user fees.

Pretty funny coming from a troll who claims he's entitled to a life of luxury because
someone else did all the work. Here's a hint, fool: nothing has changed. You're still living
off the hard work of others. You're just to stupid to realize it.

>Instead, work and sweat a bit to improve your own living standard and do NOT attempt to drag us
>(who pay for your misanthropic existence) down to your retrograde way of life....and hoping to take
>political control to institute even more green taxes,.... which is what all you green ***** really
>are after under the guise of "environmentalism".

You really should go back on your medication. When you do some of the work yourself, then
you can tell everyone else what to do. Until then, you're a parasite. The sad thing is that
you admit it.

<rest of tantrum deleted>

Time to grow up, little man, and go out and get a real job. Some hard work will do wonders
for you. It will also cut down on your trolling. You won't have nearly as much time for it.

On 11 Feb 2004 01:13:11 GMT, BB <[email protected]> from wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 17:47:41 -0600, Kevan Smith wrote:
>
>> Will you refute them with facts or just say it's hysteria without showing why?
>
>Wouldn't it instead be sufficient to say your observations have absolutely nothing to do with the
>vast majority of newsgroups to which they were posted? Or AT LEAST that they has nothing to do with
>the (ludicrous) original thread about mountain lions & cyclists?

Well, I don't really care, so, nyah.
--
[email protected]
What is the reality of the situation?

"David Ball" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 23:57:38 GMT, "hanson" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >"Peter H" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >> Kevan Smith wrote:
> >> >OK, so what's the correct figure? The U.S with _____ percent of the
world's
> >> >population consumes _____ percent of the world's resources.
> >> >--
> >>
[hanson]
> >It doesn't matter. And the more the better. It was the USA people who started some 250 years
> >ago to shape and scrape a living out of a vast wilderness. The comfort level (consumption) they
> >have achieved had an immense cost in suffering, sweat and tears and lives. We paid for these
> >cost of our luxury and consumption in full. Now, some uncouth, gross and commie-green assholes,
> >domestic and

>
[mudball]
> ROTFL....[since he was drinking again and then, flat on the floor, mudball
sobbed and kept shedding big, big green crocodile tears and then he cussed me to no
end....ahahahahaha.....AHAHAHAH]

>
[hanson] Mudball, you really should not be laughing. Admit, you have only one goal for your waning
years, namely that you may benefit from the permit costs and users fee extracted from working people
(unlike you) thru the Kydioto treaty. But, it ain't gonna happen mudball, tough ****, I am sorry to
say, because

a) because the people caught onto the game of green turdism, that

=== Environmentalism is just a despicable, evil money (green) game, === without any redeeming value,
=== nor any intent to save anything. This == scam has come to an end. Now, all the green ***** are
=== whining... ===

...to boot, "environment" was not mentioned at all in Bush's 2004 State of the Union, and NEITHER
was there any mention of it in the rebuttals by the democrats.

b) because it was doomed from the outset by top "executive" advice like the following

-----***** start: Quotes from environmental leaders *****-----

media define you to be. Greenpeace became a myth, and a myth-generating machine." -- Paul Watson,
co/founder of Greenpeace and Sea Shepard

Guide to Strategy.

President Gore

-----***** end: Quotes from environmental leaders *****-----

=== whining... ===

Why should anyone be surprised? The green movement was always and exclusively a machination and a
cover to get grants, permit charges & user fees for the green *****, be they consultants, activists
or regulators.

Kevan Smith wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 17:52:14 -0500, Peter H <[email protected]> from wrote:
>
>
>
>>Kevan Smith wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>>>OK, so what's the correct figure? The U.S with _____ percent of the world's
>>>>
>>>>
>>>population consumes _____ percent of the world's resources.
>>>--
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>Don't know. In this particular case it's not important. What is important is that someone managed
>>to get huge mileage from a fabrication.
>>
>>
>
>How do you know it's a fabrication if you don't know what the "correct" figures are?
>
I have (in print) Brower's own words admitting to the fabrication.

Pete H

--
W. Berry

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 08:03:27 -0500, Peter H <[email protected]> from wrote:

>Kevan Smith wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 17:52:14 -0500, Peter H <[email protected]> from wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>>Kevan Smith wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>>OK, so what's the correct figure? The U.S with _____ percent of the world's
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>population consumes _____ percent of the world's resources.
>>>>--
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>Don't know. In this particular case it's not important. What is important is that someone managed
>>>to get huge mileage from a fabrication.
>>>
>>>
>>
>>How do you know it's a fabrication if you don't know what the "correct" figures are?
>>
>I have (in print) Brower's own words admitting to the fabrication.

Sure you do.

--
[email protected]
Don't break the silence.

Status
Not open for further replies.