Mountain Kills Mountain Biker

cheers pete. it is a shame that this is the case.

Alan "Peter H" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Alan Poots wrote:
>
> >To reply to you Mike:
> >
> >. . . . . . .
> >

> >information that can be integrated into subsequent hypotheses.
> >
> >Sincerely, Alan Poots.
> >

> Not to doubt your sincerity for a moment.
>
> But you are beating a dead horse.
>
> VERY dead.
>
> MV, the ultimate androphobe, cannot be disuaded by mere facts or reality. His monomaniacle
> diatribes go on and on, seemingly endlessly, with ever-repeating boilerplate of sweeping
> generalities, "shoot-the-messenger" responses, wildly generalized vituperations, and sophomoric
> mud-slinging. This has gone on for a seemingly endless round of similarly-based threads that
> always seem to devolve into a dreary sameness. There's a small degree of entertainment in various
> himself into; there's a deadly (DUH! and IDIOT!) familiarity to his portion of the interchange.
> One wonders . . . .
>
> But, then, reality is not only stranger than we think, it is stranger than we CAN think.
>
> Or, as the good Mr. Pepys would have it, "...and so to bed..."
>
> Pete H
>
> --
> A person is free only in the freedom of other persons.
> W. Berry

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 00:43:40 -0000, "Alan Poots" <[email protected]> wrote:

.To reply to you Mike: . . ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
.news:[email protected]... .> On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 17:48:47 -0000,
<[email protected]> wrote: .> .> . .> ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message .>
.news:[email protected]... .> .> On 7 Feb 2004 09:09:37 -0800,
[email protected] (Reco Diver) .wrote: .> .> .> .>> .> .> .> .> .3) Whether or not people
recreate there has no statistical bearing .on .> .> .> . predicting if cougars are abundant. .> .>
.> .> .> .> There's no proof of that. .> .> . .> .> .Do a basic lit review before passing judgement.
.> .> .> .> Don't forget, I have a Ph.D. and an MA in math. To prove that, a .scientist .> .would .>
.> have to REMOVE all humans from the experimental area. That will never .> .happen, .> .> because
humans are too selfish. .> .> .> . .> .to respond to the latest error on your part Mike. A scientist
would not .have .> .to remove all the humans from the park for at least two reasons: .> .1. humans
are an integral part of the biosphere in general, and of this .> .system in particular. .> .> Thanks
for demonstrating your ignorance. Humans are a VERY recent addition .to .> the ecosystem, making
them an exotic species -- NOT "an integral part of .the .> ecosystem". Be honest! Humans are as much
a part of the ecosystem as zebra .> mussels ar in SF Bay. . . .strangely mike, whether or not a
species is recent or not does not effect .its potential to be integral.

So a species can become native the day it arrives? BS.

many systems are utterly reliant on human .activity for their persistance - such as calcareous
grasslands, which would .otherwise turn into forested regions, with a resultant loss of habitat
for .many invertebrate assemblages; farmland bird's such as the cirl bunting are .reliant on
traditional farming methodologies; and savannah in africa is .maintained by grazing pressure and
fires - many of which are anthropogenic .in cause.

That doesn't make us native to those ecosystems. In fact, it proves we are NOT native. After enough
time has passed, the other species learn how to deal with the newcomer.

.in addition, do you suggest that humans should all return to Africa to where .it is believed that
speciation occurred?

No, it wouldn't help. That doesn't make us native to North America.

.Do you advocate the removal of species from islands because they migrated to .get there?

No, of course not.

.Perhaps no species should be dispersive?

See my paper below.

.Whislt i agree that humanity in general is having a terrifying effect on the .world's biota -
especially through anthropogenic introductions - humanity is .a part of nature and must be
considered when trying to solve ecological .problems.

Who said we shouldn't be "considered"? But zebra mussels are a part of nature, but NOT native to SF
Bay. Being a part of nature implies NOTHING. It is dishonest of you to imply that being a part of
nature means that it's okay for us to be wherever we want to go. That is just human rationalization,
nothing more.

And removal of humanity would not allow a "pure habitat", as a .result of pervasive atmospheric
and groundwater effects - to name a few.

It would be pure(ly) wildlife habitat, since there would be no humans there. It would be an
improvement over human presence.

.this is believed to have lead to the recent extinction of the golden toad, .despite the prevention
of access. . . . .> .> to remove them would be inappropriate to correct .> .modelling of the
situation, regardless of whether one believes them to .have .> .the right to be present. .> .2.
factorial principles of statistical design would allow examination of .> .the premise, by testing
for interactions using a GLM. .> .> Ah, yes: how to lie with statistics. Without removing the
humans, it is .> IMPOSSIBLE to know what the effect of removing the humans would be. That .is .>
obvious to anyone with half a brain. . .i did not suggest that one should lie through statistics. it
is , i agree, .possible to misrepresent the data through statistics , especially if the
.methodologies are not robust, and assumptions of statistical models are not .met.

Exactly.

a public misunderstanding of what statistics state, and to be fair .science in general, means that
this is done, allowing nefarious manipulation .of public perception towards an incorrect premise.

That's what you are doing: using phony statistics to justify what you want to happen.

.And as much as i didn't want to get technical - you have in previous .messages suggested the
complete removal of humans from the park. this is .not necessary.

Not necessary FOR WHOM? It IS necessary, if we want to prevent killings of humans by cougars, and to
give them the best chance to survive.

by using factorial design principles it is possible to .analyse heterogenous ecological data -
namely differences within a region. .so that for instance one part of the park with a level of
human usage of .(for example) 1 (or other arbitary and hypothetical value), and N other .variables
at levels Xn, can be compared to a parts with human usages of .diferent values - with N variables
at levels Xn. this would allow .extrapolation on an n-dimensional backdrop through multivariate
techniques .(appropraite to the data distribution), to explore the consequence of human .usage on
cougars, or other species, and thereby provide an ability to gauge .what the effect of removal
would be. these techinques are fully repeatable, .testable, and objective.

That is pure BS. It ASSUMES what you are trying to prove, and is thus circular logic. The only way
to know what will REALLY happen when humans are removed is to REMOVE them! IN YOUR OWN WORDS, you
are "EXTRAPOLATING". That is only valid if ... it's valid. You are ASSUMING it's valid. That is
exactly how so-called "scientists" lie with statistics. Of course, I don't expect you to admit it.

.but i am sure as an MA Mathematics you didn't need an explanation of .multivariate ecological
techniques, but others may well not have been aware .of these aspects.

You are being dishonest, because you haven't explained what your ASSUMPTIONS are.

.> Isuspect that you .> .have backed yourself into a corner as a result of erroneous assumptions .in
.> .your original arguments. .> .> "Suspicion" is not enough. You have to prove it (hint: you can't,
because .you .> are all wet). . .agreed, it had been raining a lot after all. And i need prove no
such .thing. i wished to allow people unaware of the previous parts to your .conversation to be made
aware of the possibility that the arguments may not .be based on correct premises ,and to allow you
a chance to re-evaluate your .position in the light of the presentation of alternate viewpoints by
authors .who demonstrate an appreciable,or at least researched, understanding of this .topic - such
as Jeff Strickland.

Thanks for picking the most dishonest of all of them to use as an example of a
"knowledgeable" person!

perhaps you could start a new thread with .a revised argument? an improved model as it were? .
.your aims are admirable in some senses, but naive in others. whilst humans .have been
demonstratably bad for the environment, any solution which .excludes them from consideration will
be inadequate.

That is a subjective judgment, not a fact.

.your suggestion that i have half a brain is offensive - at no point did i .suggest that your were
half-witted, merely that your hypothesis may be .grounded on incorrect assumptions. i hope that my
comments have not .offended, and that was certainly not the intention, but have provided
.information that can be integrated into subsequent hypotheses.

It is quite possible to be dishonest, or stupid (it is hard to distinguish those), while being
superficially polite.

.Sincerely, .Alan Poots.

What Is **** Sapiens' Place in Nature, From an Objective (Biocentric) Point of View? Michael J.
Vandeman, Ph.D. July 4, 2002

"For hundreds of millenia, evolving humanity was a native species ... in Africa and Asia. ... The
modern Races of **** sapiens were a true alien species when they colonized the rest of the world,
from Australia to the New World and finally the distant oceanic islands." E.O. Wilson, p.98.

"The behaviours animals use to avoid predators are both genetically based and learned. The genetic
component is acquired through natural selection and so can only slowly be developed. This may
account in part for the fact that most of the world's surviving large mammals live in Africa, for it
was there that humanity evolved, and it was only there that animals had the time to acquire the
genetically based behaviours that allowed them to cope with the new predator." Tim Flannery, p.198.

Many answers have been given to this question, but none, to my knowledge, based on science.
Even scientists, apparently, often avoid applying their knowledge when it may be
inconvenient (e.g., interfere with our preferred lifestyle). For example, open any biology
textbook and find where it defines "exotic species". Do you see any mention of the fact that
humans are, throughout most of our range, an exotic species -- or even a discussion of
whether we are an exotic species?
_______
If biology is so valuable (which I think it is), why do we shy away
__
from using it?

Another example: it is often claimed that humans are a natural part of our environment -- we
are just an animal like any other animal. If that is true, then why aren't humans mentioned
in the vast majority of natural histories? The fact is, we consider ourselves a part of our
ecosystems when it's convenient (e.g. when we want to justify recreation in wildlife
habitat), and not, when it's not
___
convenient (e.g. when choosing where to live: in a house!). When you
_____
die, will you re-enter the ecosystem just like any other dead organism? No! We are either cremated,
or buried in a box, specifically to avoid the natural process of decay.
_____

It is obvious that we are a part of nature, or we couldn't touch and interact with it. The
real question is Which part of nature are ____ _____ we?

Biology texts usually define an "exotic species" as one transported by humans to a new
location, where it hadn't existed before. However, this is not a good definition, since the
effect of the exotic species on its new surroundings has nothing to do with how it got
there, but more to do with the fact that it is a newcomer. However, every species was new at
some time in the past. So the
_____
question is, How long does it take to become a native species?

I would like to suggest that a length of time that makes sense, biologically, is the time
that it takes for the other species in the
_____
ecosystem to evolve (i.e., make persistent -- "beneficial" -- genetic changes) to adapt to the
newcomer -- say on the order of a million years. This would make humans (**** sapiens) native only
to (part of) Africa, and everywhere else, a relative newcomer -- an exotic species. (This is not a
value judgment, but simply a statement of biological fact.)

Does this mean that we should all move back to Africa? I don't think so -- it wouldn't help!
Even in Africa, our behavior changes so rapidly, on an evolutionary scale, that the only
things that can evolve fast enough to keep up with us are bacteria and viruses! So even in
Africa, we might as well consider ourselves an exotic species.

But what I do think it means is that we should act with restraint -- with the manners of a
guest! What does this mean in practice? I think it means, first of all, to "listen" to other
species, and what they are trying to tell us! For example, what is the first thing that
every child learns about wildlife? That they don't want us around: that they run away
whenever we try to approach them! And then, of course, because we are the curious animals
that we are, we proceed to ignore their wishes.

Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey, and Birute Galdikas all had the same experience when they began
trying to study apes in the wild: the apes didn't want them around! They "told" the
researchers that clearly and unequivocally. Jane couldn't get close to the chimpanzees until
she started bribing them with bananas. The gorillas charged Dian and tried to scare her
away. And the orangutans pushed over trees toward Birute, apparently trying to kill or
intimidate her. The apes desperately need us to deliver their message to the rest of
humanity. Although the message is impossible to miss, most humans ignore it. Rather than
arguing over to what degree the apes resemble or differ from humans, the most important
message that we can derive from studying them is that they want to be left alone!

This is perhaps a bitter pill, but one that humanity urgently needs to take. With our
population increasing rapidly, it is more important than ever to give wildlife what they
want, which is also,
____
therefore, what they need: freedom from the pressure, irritation,
____
infection with diseases, and outright danger of the presence of humans. It is utterly inexcusable
that we continue extending our hegemony into every square inch of the Earth -- and soon, other
defenseless planets as well.

This is a tall order? Very well, then it is a tall order. But I do not see why we shouldn't
aim for what is needed, instead of pretending that less is adequate.