MTB Pedals on Road Bike??

82zman

Mar 27, 2006
I am a newbie. I have been using Shimano MTB 520 (380G) Pedals on my Trek 1500 for 9 months. They work great and are convienent to clip in/out on either side. Is there any advantage going to a road pedal? I ride for fitness only but maintain a competitive mind set while riding. Ride about 100 miles a week.

82zman said:
Is there any advantage going to a road pedal?
To strictly answer your question, true road pedals are more aerodynamic and have a larger platform.

Having said that, many road bike riders use MTB pedals and shoes because the pedals are dual sided, and the shoes/cleats are much easier to walk in.

I say stick with your current setup.

82zman said:
I am a newbie. I have been using Shimano MTB 520 (380G) Pedals on my Trek 1500 for 9 months. They work great and are convienent to clip in/out on either side. Is there any advantage going to a road pedal? I ride for fitness only but maintain a competitive mind set while riding. Ride about 100 miles a week.

This has been a common question on this forum and the consensus answer is ride what works for you. For most purposes, the lower weight of a road pedad/shoe combo is not worth the disadvantages of single-sided entry (for most road pedals), poor walkability and often higher cost.

My friends and I all have mtb pedals on our road bikes. The shoes have better grip when off the bike or waiting at the light. I also did it because I found an expensive pair of shoes that fits me well and I want to be able to use the same shoes when I ride on or off road.

I also ride with my camelbak on my road bike sometimes so maybe I'm strange.

It definitely makes roadies not like getting passed by me in group rides though.

82zman said:
If you're used to clipping in and out of the pedals, it would be folly to change, if you're only using the road bike for training rides and such. You're going to pedal just as fast, and you don't have to 'learn' how to use another clipping system. Also, you get to save the money and stick to only one pair of shoes, possibly.

tbowren said:
My friends and I all have mtb pedals on our road bikes. The shoes have better grip when off the bike or waiting at the light. I also did it because I found an expensive pair of shoes that fits me well and I want to be able to use the same shoes when I ride on or off road.

I also ride with my camelbak on my road bike sometimes so maybe I'm strange.

It definitely makes roadies not like getting passed by me in group rides though.
All of my bikes are set up with Eggbeaters including the road bike. I alternate between my road bike and a MTB for commuting and the eggbeaters allow me to quickly clip in and take off at the lights. I often see roadies with road pedals getting away slowly at the lights because they're still trying to clip in. Having said that, I 've also seen roadies with road pedals clip in in one smooth quick motion and tear away at a good pace.
I too ride with a camelback; more so when commuting. It carries the few clothes and bits I need for work. When in flowing traffic I like to be able to just turn my head and sip from the tube/bladder rather than try to reach down and grab the water bottle. I just find it makes more sense. I can understand that others don't want their jerseys to wear permaturely from the rubbing from wearing a camelback but I don't wear expensive jerseys when commuting.

i was initially a mtb rider, later switched to road. i swapped my pedals over to the road bike. i rode this way perfectly fine for a year. i was using a soft sole shoe though. when i made the switch to road pedals (speedplay...you can clip into either side) and road shoes (sidi genius 5), the difference in speed was profound: at least 1.5 mph faster average. i attribute this mainly to stiff sole than lighter weight.

Stunslinger said:
i was initially a mtb rider, later switched to road. i swapped my pedals over to the road bike. i rode this way perfectly fine for a year. i was using a soft sole shoe though. when i made the switch to road pedals (speedplay...you can clip into either side) and road shoes (sidi genius 5), the difference in speed was profound: at least 1.5 mph faster average. i attribute this mainly to stiff sole than lighter weight.
Perfectly believeable. The question is how soft was the sole of your MTB?

The other aspect of the shoe performance in my mind is the strapping. I found that I can get more speed if I pull up on the up stroke. Using a pair of shoe with nice binding eg. Upper range Sidi, I find it is more relevant than the stiffness of the sole for speed. Of course, we are not talking about jogging shoes kind of sole softness.

I rode a road bike for 4 years with SPD pedals and then moved to Look Delta, on the same shoes.

I did prefer the wider foot print of the road pedals, but its not a huge deal. If you want better performance, then get better shoes, many mountain bike shoes are simply not stiff enough.

sogood said:
Perfectly believeable. The question is how soft was the sole of your MTB?

The other aspect of the shoe performance in my mind is the strapping. I found that I can get more speed if I pull up on the up stroke. Using a pair of shoe with nice binding eg. Upper range Sidi, I find it is more relevant than the stiffness of the sole for speed. Of course, we are not talking about jogging shoes kind of sole softness.
basically sneakers with a cleat! i agree that the strap does wonders. especially the kind you can rachet...as opposed to just velcro.

Chance3290 said:
Does anyone have an opinion on a stiff-soled, lightweight, not too expensive MTB shoe?
Shimano SH-M080 (the "same" number designation has been used through the years, so make sure you get a recent pair with three straps if this is the shoe you end up getting), if they fit your feet.

The M080 (three velcro straps) is similar to the M180 (one ratcheting buckle + two velcro straps) ... the M180 is similar to Shimano's high-zoot MTB shoes except that the sole is nylon instead of carbon fiber.

I've had Shimano SPD style mountainbike pedals for 2+ years on my Cannondale R700 roadbike and I see no reason to change up. The in/out ease plus the comfort of the shoe (though I did get a stiffer mtn. shoe) was well worth it. I call myself a 'serious novice' so a few extra grams don't bother my 200lb.

I say if you like it and it works... stick with it (if it aint broke; don't fix it) ;)

astroluc said:
I've had Shimano SPD style mountainbike pedals for 2+ years on my Cannondale R700 roadbike and I see no reason to change up. The in/out ease plus the comfort of the shoe (though I did get a stiffer mtn. shoe) was well worth it. I call myself a 'serious novice' so a few extra grams don't bother my 200lb.

I say if you like it and it works... stick with it (if it aint broke; don't fix it) ;)
What shoes do you have?

Chance3290 said:
What shoes do you have?
I am using Pearl Izumi Vipers (road shoe). 200.00 shoe which I picked up at the PI outlet store for 85.00

Chance3290 said:
What shoes do you have?
I have a pair of the Specialized BG Sport MTN Shoes; what follows is from the Specialized website about the shoe:

"Patented Body Geometry Technology uses unique design to increase comfort and efficiency: Varus wedge, metatarsal button, medial arch support. Design is scientifically proven to measureably increase performance in elite riders & designed to reduce injuries
3 straps for improved fit
Real suede leather and breathable mesh upper
Single-density comfort-tuned insole
Stiff SPD & Time pedal compatible outsole. Speedplay will fit with slight sole modification (note that pedal cleats are provided when you buy pedals not when you buy shoes)
Excellent performance, excellent value
Voted a Best Buy for 2004 by the staff of Bicycling Magazine...
WHY IT'S A BEST BUY:
Has features of Specialized's $99 Comp shoe, including Body Geometry fit system and three Velcro straps.
THE RIDE:
Stiffer than the average sub-$100 mountain shoe; you'll either love or hate the roomy toe box, high heel counter and Body Geometry fit. - Mark Reidy
Spare Parts: BG Footbed"

I ride my road bike with Shimano road pedals & my city comuting bike with Shimano MTB pedals.

Forgetting about the issue of walking in road shoes I much prefer the road pedals. Bigger platform more power & more comfortable for long rides & easier to clip in & out.
Also you are clipped in more securely with road pedals.

I was using mountain bike pedals & mb shoes on my road bike up until 2 weeks ago. The mountain bike shoes were Lake and fairly stiff, but very heavy. I asked the question on this forum about the viability of using SPD cleats on road shoes because I needed a shoe upgrade but wanted to keep the pedals, and the general consensus was positive. Well after 2 weeks I can say that the difference is very noticeable. I feel that I am getting a lot more out of each pedal stroke and it has shown in my average speeds. The only drawback is that you cannot pedal very far without being connected as I could with the MB shoes because your foot just slips off the pedal, but I will say it is a lot easier to find the target probably because the cleat is not recessed. Oh and the walking issue of course, but I don't walk much off the bike on my rides. I would also agree that road pedals would give a better and stabler platform, as I have had to crank up the spring tension in the SPD's as they tended to feel a bit loose. Which brings me to my next question, does any one make a decent double sided road pedal?