my latest news, and request best place to ride

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Merlin, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. Merlin

    Merlin Guest

    > > even JD can do better than that on an off day. ;-)
    > >
    > > ~Travis
    >
    > Who's JD?

    now that you mention it, I haven't seen any posts from JD since I popped back in...

    ~Travis

  2. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 07:41:29 -0500, Merlin wrote:

    >> I only put Schweinfurt before Budingen because it "appears" to be a bigger facility, meaning more
    >> choices for you (based on my 10-minute search). But I really have no idea.
    >
    > well, it looked interesting, so i kept it on the list.

    And there's something to be said for a town that, AFAIK, translates to "pig fort". :)

    Now you be sure to give us a post with a .mil address on the originating host, to convince the
    skeptics. Preferably with a pic of you elbow-deep in the guts of some flying machine. ;-)

  3. Merlin

    Merlin Guest

    "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 07:41:29 -0500, Merlin wrote:
    >
    > >> I only put Schweinfurt before Budingen because it "appears" to be a
    bigger
    > >> facility, meaning more choices for you (based on my 10-minute search).
    But
    > >> I really have no idea.
    > >
    > > well, it looked interesting, so i kept it on the list.
    >
    > And there's something to be said for a town that, AFAIK, translates to "pig fort". :)

    LMAO, that is definatly a good conversation starter for the base :)

    > Now you be sure to give us a post with a .mil address on the originating host, to convince the
    > skeptics. Preferably with a pic of you elbow-deep in the guts of some flying machine. ;-)

    I'll see what I can do. the guts may be classified though ;-)

    ~Travis

  4. Merlin

    Merlin Guest

    > And there's something to be said for a town that, AFAIK, translates to
    > "pig fort". :)

    according to babel fish, "pig away", but I think "pig fort" is close enough, and far more humorous.

    ~Travis

  5. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > the following is my current list.
    > ------
    > Schweinfort

    schwantz mit hoden?

    > Wheeler AAF

    good luck on that one

    > Ft. Carson

    can you say o2?

    > and the remaining availible choices.
    > ------
    > Ft. Stewart

    beetle bailey's ficticious camp swampy was named after this one

    > Ft. Hood

    texis

    > Ft. Bragg

    jumpin' junkies, fayettenam, singletracks on base at chicken road and smith lake

    > Ft. Campbell

    pukin' buzzards, good hills, close to nashville

    > Ft. Drum

    new york dung heap

    > Ft. Polk

    never had the displeasure

    > Budingen Cp G.Owens

    dunno 'bout those dumps

    JD

  6. Merlin

    Merlin Guest

    > "Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > the following is my current list.
    > > ------
    > > Schweinfort
    >
    > schwantz mit hoden?

    Curious as to the translation of this. babel fish had a slightly amusing result though it didn't
    translate the first word. "...with testicals" not sure where you were going with this.

    > > Wheeler AAF
    >
    > good luck on that one

    true, the fact i got in the army used up my yearly luck quota.

    > > Ft. Carson
    >
    > can you say o2?

    thats what i was wondering about. can't be too bad once i got used to it, could it?

    > > and the remaining availible choices.
    > > ------
    > > Ft. Stewart
    >
    > beetle bailey's ficticious camp swampy was named after this one

    hmmm, interesting bit of trivia...

    > > Ft. Hood
    >
    > texis

    i am interpreting this to imply "need i say more". and that could be a good thing, or a bad thing...

    > > Ft. Bragg
    >
    > jumpin' junkies, fayettenam, singletracks on base at chicken road and
    smith lake

    "jumpin' junkies, fayettenam", too much coffee? ;-)

    > > Ft. Campbell
    >
    > pukin' buzzards, good hills, close to nashville
    >
    > > Ft. Drum
    >
    > new york dung heap

    wasn't really thinking of adding it to my choices, just that it was availible.

    > > Ft. Polk
    >
    > never had the displeasure
    >
    > > Budingen Cp G.Owens
    >
    > dunno 'bout those dumps
    >
    > JD

    as usual with Usenet, it is sometimes difficult to differentiate sarcasm from true text, but I think
    I got the jist of it.

    Fort Bragg sounds like it may be a good choice for a state-side location. I'll put it on the list in
    place of Fort Carson.

    ~Travis

  7. R.White

    R.White Guest

    "Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "R.White" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > the following is my current list.
    > > > ------
    > > > Schweinfort Wheeler AAF Ft. Carson
    > > >
    > > > and the remaining availible choices.
    > > > ------
    > > > Ft. Stewart Ft. Hood Ft. Bragg Ft. Campbell Ft. Drum Ft. Polk Budingen Cp G.Owens
    > > >
    > > > these are technicaly training facilities.
    > > > --------
    > > > Ft. Rucker Ft. Eustis
    > >
    > > Well, I have my doubts that you'll make it this far, but the area around Ft. Eustis has a lot to
    > > offer NOT in regaurds to mountian biking.
    >
    > Clip from message posted by Pete on 02/26/04 12:22PM (EST) "Let me know when you get a saturday
    > off, and I'll show you the local trail(s). Maybe 3 miles frm Eustis."

    Yes, I know what he wrote. I'm telling you the area offers lots of OTHER things too.

  8. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote

    > > > Ft. Drum
    > >
    > > new york dung heap
    >
    > wasn't really thinking of adding it to my choices, just that it was availible.

    Actually, Drum isn't bad. Adirondacks. Asshole deep in snow until May.

    Pete

  9. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote

    > if i was afraid of a little action, i would have picked a state-side only job.

    No such thing.

    Pete

  10. NotaKnob

    NotaKnob Guest

    > On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 02:06:06 GMT, Pete wrote:
    >
    > > Of course, I could be totally wrong, and Army av maintenance is completely different from Navy
    > > and USAF. Your recruiter could be a totally honest person, and has told you the complete and
    > > absolute truth.
    >
    > Recruiters are salesmen - they even have quotas, don't they? While being in sales doesn't
    > intrinsically make one dishonest, there seems to be a nagging correlation there.I can guarantee
    > you they couldn't give two shits whether the posts Travis gets on his list actually have a single
    > Kiowa on them.
    >
    > 10 minutes on Google, and we have a list of locations where the Kiowa is deployed: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/oh-58d-
    > unit.htm
    >
    > Only 14 choices, if I count right. Most are easy to strike off the list.
    >
    > My choices would be: Wheeler, Oahu, Hawaii! Schweinfurt, Germany Fort Carson, Colorado

    If he chooses those three, he'll end up in Schweinfurt, if it's still there after the end of the
    fiscal year.

    > Spending time in Europe would be extremely cool. Budingen would also be high up on the list.

    I'd recommend trying to find a unit that is in the middle of a deployment, so that when he get's
    there, he won't be immediatly sent to Afgahnistan or Iraq. I say immediatly, because he will
    eventually end up there.

    nk

  11. NotaKnob

    NotaKnob Guest

    > > schwantz mit hoden?
    >
    > Curious as to the translation of this. babel fish had a slightly amusing result though it didn't
    > translate the first word. "...with testicals" not sure where you were going with this.

    I think he was going for the word "Schwanz", but was trying to make the z a little harder with the
    addition of a "t".

    Schwanz - shvanz - Noun.

    Tail of animal, as in dog.

    When applied to humans, it is commonly used in reference to the penis.

    "bist du froh zu mir sehen, oder ist dein schwanz gefrohen?"

    bitte.

    nk

  12. Mojo Deluxe

    Mojo Deluxe Guest

  13. Bob Rogers

    Bob Rogers Guest

    "Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I'm starting to question your reasons for wanting me to go there...
    >
    > there may after all be an ulterior motive.
    >
    > ~Travis

    Yeah right. You must be hallucinating again.

  14. Bob Rogers

    Bob Rogers Guest

    "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 07:41:29 -0500, Merlin wrote:
    >
    > And there's something to be said for a town that, AFAIK, translates to "pig fort". :)

    I think Travis is more suited for "Fort Doof". Or F Troop

  15. Bob Rogers

    Bob Rogers Guest

    "Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Bob Rogers" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de...
    > >
    > > "Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:pXp%[email protected]...
    > > > Let me know when you get a saturday off, and I'll show you the local trail(s). Maybe 3 miles
    > > > frm Eustis.
    > > >
    > > > Pete
    > >
    > > My, you are an optimist aren't you?
    > >

    > And thus, Ye of little faith (and neurons ;-) has spoken.
    >
    > :p
    >
    > ~Travis

    All you got to do is prove me wrong. I won't hold my breath Pyle.

  16. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 01:01:06 +0100, NotaKnob wrote:

    > "bist du froh zu mir sehen, oder ist dein schwanz gefrohen?"

    And the always important:

    "Es gibt einen schnauser in meine lederhosen."

    (obscure movie quote)

  17. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 01:01:06 +0100, NotaKnob wrote:

    > "bist du froh zu mir sehen, oder ist dein schwanz gefrohen?"

    If you really do make it to Germany, Travis, this is NOT how you ask someone the way to the
    train station.

    But you are more than welcome to tell other newbies that it is.

    Of course, you have to make it through basic first. I'm not joining the pool; I don't participate in
    pools having to do with anyone's misfortune (except the San Diego Chargers, of course, but that's an
    unavoidable part of being in football pools).

  18. Tcmedara

    Tcmedara Guest

    Pete <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote
    >>
    >> AIT is at Fort Eustis.
    >>

    > What you can and can't do at Basic/AIT:
    > http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/blartraining.htm
    >
    > I spend a lot of time just down the street from there. I see a lot of obvious newbies (groups of
    > mostly bald, lost-looking, 19 yr old, clumped together) at the mall.
    >
    > Let me know when you get a saturday off, and I'll show you the local trail(s). Maybe 3 miles
    > frm Eustis.
    >
    > Pete

    Shoot me a line as well....I'm only two miles further away than Pete. I won't even hold that whole
    Army mistake against ya!

    Tom (Go Air Force...)

  19. Merlin

    Merlin Guest

    > > My choices would be: Wheeler, Oahu, Hawaii! Schweinfurt, Germany Fort Carson, Colorado
    >
    > If he chooses those three, he'll end up in Schweinfurt, if it's still there after the end of the
    > fiscal year.
    >

    > > Spending time in Europe would be extremely cool. Budingen would also be high up on the list.
    >
    > I'd recommend trying to find a unit that is in the middle of a deployment, so that when he get's
    > there, he won't be immediatly sent to Afgahnistan or Iraq. I say immediatly, because he will
    > eventually end up there.
    >
    > nk

    I'm not sure I have a choice of specific unit, just location I think. it wouldn't really be a bad
    thing to get deployed right off the bat. after all, it's not like you folks would miss me ;-) lil'
    Bobby would just make a pool on weather or not I get KIA.

    ~Travis

  20. Merlin

    Merlin Guest

    "tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:WWT%[email protected]...
    > Pete <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > "Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote
    > >>
    > >> AIT is at Fort Eustis.
    > >>

    > > What you can and can't do at Basic/AIT:
    > > http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/blartraining.htm
    > >
    > > I spend a lot of time just down the street from there. I see a lot of obvious newbies (groups of
    > > mostly bald, lost-looking, 19 yr old, clumped together) at the mall.
    > >
    > > Let me know when you get a saturday off, and I'll show you the local trail(s). Maybe 3 miles frm
    > > Eustis.
    > >
    > > Pete
    >
    > Shoot me a line as well....I'm only two miles further away than Pete. I won't even hold that whole
    > Army mistake against ya!
    >
    > Tom (Go Air Force...)

    I tried the air force first, but the recruiter dropped me like a hot coal when I needed a
    medical waiver.

    the army guy followed through all the way.

    besides, I have no branch preference (like the tired old chevy vs. ford debate). I joined the first
    one that accepted me. and I have a great job lined up, and thus, and actual chance at a future.
    either branch could give me that, the army just got me there faster. and besides, the army recruiter
    is less than a mile from my home ;-)

    but yeah, if I can, I'll let both of you know. I'll need some form of non-internet contact though,
    as I am unsure of the internet access I will have during training.

    ~Travis