Need a High Quality Rear Rack Trunk Bag - Crappy Zippers Need Not Apply!

GRANTED, zippers are fragile. But I'll bet the zipper on a $400 bag is
abused, maligned, ignored and generally treated with complete
disrepect: leading to zipper failure.
The bag maker knows this, they know you the consumer are a total
moron, a mental dwarf incapable of understanding the zipper is not a
steel I-beam.
gotta keep your zipper clean, lube, line the sides up, pull straight
and down the zipper line, use the straps taking stress off the zipper
as a lateral closure mechanism, don't twist fold or mutilate...
ask yourself?
DO I FOLLOW THIS GENERAL GOOD ZIPPER PRACTICE?

The ARKEL sure is nice bag. But making a cardboard box to fit then
draping, taping cordura, cutting box section for Cordure tempplate
cuts and sewing is cheaper. The extra bags and dingles are salvaged
from used packs from the thrift: cut off and sew on your DIY. COST:
$45 with rain cover

seariously, when the zipper is hard pulling, do you think " >^%$$
()*&!!!~~ " zipper or do you say "gee whiz time to brush clean and
lube muh zipper?"

"Dale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 17:06:53 -0800, <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>In article <[email protected]>,
>>[email protected] says...
>>
>>> So I guess I need to find a local shop to do the work, and an online
>>> source
>>> of YKK zippers. Unless my local shop can also supply the YKK zippers.

>>Your local shop will probably find it easier to supply YKK zippers than
>>the cheaper off-brands. People who are replacing zippers generally
>>don't want another cheap one, they want a good one, so suppliers of
>>replacement zippers tend to carry better-quality zippers.

> Arkel, and other manufacturers of quality equipment, use YKK heavy
> duty zippers as a matter of course.
>
> Though Arkel guarantees their products for life, the zipper guarantee
> lasts only a year. After five years of almost daily use my Arkel Lady
> Bug's zipper finally crapped out Arkel replaces out-of-warranty
> zippers for $25.00. They also replaced the fuzzy shock cord at no
> charge and repaired some chafed stitches. I could have saved the
> shipping costs of getting it to them, and the turnaround time for its
> return, by going to my local cobbler but he wouldn't have given the
> extended service nor would I have been as confident in his abilities.

Thanks for the Arkel info! Arkel is news to me. I just ordered the Tail
Rider http://www.arkel-od.com/panniers/tailrider/overview.asp?fl=1&site= . I
like the integrated rain cover. I expect the cover will help keep the crud
out of the zippers.

J.

"SMS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jay wrote:
>> I have been using Topeak trunk bags with the QuickTrack system for my
>> Chicago commute for a couple years, all conditions, year round. The bags
>> are OK, except for the cheap zippers. With daily use, the zippers ****
>> out after 6 months or so. I am getting tired of replacing the bag because
>> the stupid cheap zippers have become a daily annoyance. Is anyone making
>> a higher quality trunk bag for rear racks, that will hold up year round?

> I you're not using the QuickTrack, and want to attach directly to the
> rack, then the only good trunk bag is the LonePeak (see
> "http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='3648-01'").
>
> The issue with most of the trunk bags is that they use Velcro to attach to
> the rack, and the Velcro goes bad fairly quickly. Only the LonePeak uses
> buckles.

The Lone Peak does look like a good bag. My experience with Velcro has been,
if you leave it zipped, it will last. That is what I plan to do with my
Arkel Tail Rider. But I agree with you, buckles are better than unzipping
Velcro on a regular basis.

Another reason I decided to support Arkel is their helpful website. For
instance, here is a link to the features of the Tail Rider
http://www.arkel-od.com/panniers/tailrider/features.asp?fl=1&site= .

Thanks - J.

"Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I have been using Topeak trunk bags with the QuickTrack system for my
>> Chicago commute for a couple years, all conditions, year round. The
>> bags are OK, except for the cheap zippers. With daily use, the
>> zippers **** out after 6 months or so. I am getting tired of
>> replacing the bag because the stupid cheap zippers have become a
>> daily annoyance. Is anyone making a higher quality trunk bag for rear
>> racks, that will hold up year round?

> Perhaps:
>
> http://www.rivbike.com/products/list/bags_and_racks#product=20-126
>
> http://www.wallbike.com/berthoud/rackbag.html
>
> http://www.ortliebusa.com/cartgenie/prodInfo.asp?pid=141&cid=2
>
> http://www.ortliebusa.com/cartgenie/prodInfo.asp?pid=37&cid=2

I am impressed by Ortlieb! They will definitely get some of my money in the
future.

Thanks - J.

"Pete Biggs" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> Jay wrote:
>> I have been using Topeak trunk bags with the QuickTrack system for my
>> Chicago commute for a couple years, all conditions, year round. The
>> bags are OK, except for the cheap zippers. With daily use, the
>> zippers **** out after 6 months or so. I am getting tired of
>> replacing the bag because the stupid cheap zippers have become a
>> daily annoyance. Is anyone making a higher quality trunk bag for rear
>> racks, that will hold up year round?

> www.carradice.co.uk/rack-packs/index.html
>
> ~PB

Carradice does look interesting. They are on my list for next time.

Thanks - J.

"landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Dec 15, 12:42 pm, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I have been using Topeak trunk bags with the QuickTrack system for my
>> Chicago commute for a couple years, all conditions, year round. The bags
>> are
>> OK, except for the cheap zippers. With daily use, the zippers **** out
>> after
>> 6 months or so. I am getting tired of replacing the bag because the
>> stupid
>> cheap zippers have become a daily annoyance.

> Why are you replacing the bag? Just have a pro put on some heavy duty
> YKK zippers and be done with it. I had the zippers on a m/c jacket
> replaced by that leather shop on Belmont by the elevated train stop a
> few years ago.

Quoting from the Arkel website:

Water proof zippers
All the zippers are top-of-the-line waterproof YKK's. The overall design is
also very sleek and water shedding. Of course there's an integrated rain
cover, but even as it is the Tail Rider will easily shed rain for a few
hours. No more panicking necessary.

Link:

http://www.arkel-od.com/panniers/tailrider/features.asp?fl=1&site=

J.

"datakoll" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> and a big hi from the Chinese!

You are, of course, correct.

I have recently come to the realization, that it is impossible for the
middle class to completely eschew Chinese products. I refuse to move to a MT
cabin. I will not live in a cave in Afghanistan.

I will continue to be a wage slave drone, and accept the inevitable Chinese
product.

J.

On Dec 16, 1:04 pm, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "datakoll" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > and a big hi from the Chinese!

> You are, of course, correct.
>
> I have recently come to the realization, that it is impossible for the
> middle class to completely eschew Chinese products. I refuse to move to a MT
> cabin. I will not live in a cave in Afghanistan.
>
> I will continue to be a wage slave drone, and accept the inevitable Chinese
> product.

Resistance is futile. Your disposable income will be assimilated by
the Sino-American juggernaut.

On Dec 16, 5:33 pm, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 16, 1:04 pm, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > "datakoll" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >news:[email protected]...

> > > and a big hi from the Chinese!

> > You are, of course, correct.

> > I have recently come to the realization, that it is impossible for the
> > middle class to completely eschew Chinese products. I refuse to move to a MT
> > cabin. I will not live in a cave in Afghanistan.

> > I will continue to be a wage slave drone, and accept the inevitable Chinese
> > product.

> Resistance is futile. Your disposable income will be assimilated by
> the Sino-American juggernaut.

Forgot to finish your post!:

MUWAHAHAHAHAHA

<moustache twist>

On Dec 16, 7:40 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 16, 5:33 pm, Ozark Bicycle
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Dec 16, 1:04 pm, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > "datakoll" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > >news:[email protected]...

> > > You are, of course, correct.

> > > I have recently come to the realization, that it is impossible for the
> > > middle class to completely eschew Chinese products. I refuse to move to a MT
> > > cabin. I will not live in a cave in Afghanistan.

> > > I will continue to be a wage slave drone, and accept the inevitable Chinese
> > > product.

> > Resistance is futile. Your disposable income will be assimilated by
> > the Sino-American juggernaut.

> Forgot to finish your post!:
>
> MUWAHAHAHAHAHA
>
> <moustache twist>

There are no moustaches in the Collective, Seven-of-Eleven.

;-)

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 10:45:32 -0600, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Thanks for the Arkel info! Arkel is news to me. I just ordered the Tail
>Rider http://www.arkel-od.com/panniers/tailrider/overview.asp?fl=1&site= . I
>like the integrated rain cover. I expect the cover will help keep the crud
>out of the zippers.

The company's full name is "Arkel OverDesigns".

It seems a most fitting appellation as one discovers the details
incorporated into every product.

On Dec 16, 8:00 pm, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 16, 7:40 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Dec 16, 5:33 pm, Ozark Bicycle

> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Resistance is futile. Your disposable income will be assimilated by
> > > the Sino-American juggernaut.

> > Forgot to finish your post!:

> > MUWAHAHAHAHAHA

> > <moustache twist>

> There are no moustaches in the Collective, Seven-of-Eleven.
>
> ;-)

I *did* tell you about my collection of adhesive Robert Goulet (now in
the claws of Jebus) moustaches I got in the back of the gaderobe?!

<me tosses Ozark a classic model, black as licorice!>

On Dec 16, 10:31 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 16, 8:00 pm, Ozark Bicycle
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Dec 16, 7:40 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Forgot to finish your post!:

> > > MUWAHAHAHAHAHA

> > > <moustache twist>

> > There are no moustaches in the Collective, Seven-of-Eleven.

> > ;-)

> I *did* tell you about my collection of adhesive Robert Goulet (now in
> the claws of Jebus) moustaches I got in the back of the gaderobe?!
>
> <me tosses Ozark a classic model, black as licorice!>

Yeah, yeah.....but, do you have the rare, '60s vintage *unbleached*
Carol Lawrence 'stache?

Jay wrote:

> The Lone Peak does look like a good bag. My experience with Velcro has been,
> if you leave it zipped, it will last. That is what I plan to do with my
> Arkel Tail Rider. But I agree with you, buckles are better than unzipping
> Velcro on a regular basis.

Every trunk bag I've had, the point of failure has been the Velcro, not
the zippers. When it gets wet or dirty it loses grip, and eventually the
straps deteriorate from exposure to weather (sun and rain). I
established a "no velcro" policy for future purchases of trunk bags for
family members, and as the velcro ones wear out they are being replaced
by the admittedly expensive Lone Peak. Even made in the U.S.A.--amazing.

I may be the only person in the world that isn't totally awed by Arkel.
I have the Arkel Bug, and I had to change all the rear racks on the
bicycles that use it because of design issues with the mounting system.
See "http://bicycleluggageracks.com".

On Dec 17, 7:09 am, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 16, 10:31 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Dec 16, 8:00 pm, Ozark Bicycle

> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > There are no moustaches in the Collective, Seven-of-Eleven.

> > > ;-)

> > I *did* tell you about my collection of adhesive Robert Goulet (now in
> > the claws of Jebus) moustaches I got in the back of the gaderobe?!

> > <me tosses Ozark a classic model, black as licorice!>

> Yeah, yeah.....but, do you have the rare, '60s vintage *unbleached*
> Carol Lawrence 'stache?

That's just residue from when she won the Hasty Pudding Woman of the
Year Award!

WELL, Zoot offers a balanced, intelligent and unwanted opinion but
moving past that the situation is extremely serious both economically
and in terms of human failure, the confluence: fatal consumerism.
FC is terminal and hopeless. While repair and maintenance is at hand
and forced on riders, building, fabricating for the intellectual and
physical pleasure of doing your own thing remains over the horizon.
Riders responding positively to my continuously shrill whining on DIY
as actually doing something have a long history of DIY.
One invention is a $1 chain guard eliminating 50% of road grit one the
daily ride.
Meeting a new cyclist in conversation, I sometimes point to it after
setting the rider up with chain talk and explain what it does.
The response is total incomprehension, vacuity. I have asked the rider
to think in an area never before entered.
But if I said, this here thing costs $25, will attract drooling Las
vegas show girls and give you immortality
THEN they understand.
AND YOU ZOOT?

On Dec 17, 7:50 am, SMS $B;[h\J8(B* $B2F(B <[email protected]> wrote:
> Jay wrote:
> > The Lone Peak does look like a good bag. My experience with Velcro has been,
> > if you leave it zipped, it will last. That is what I plan to do with my
> > Arkel Tail Rider. But I agree with you, buckles are better than unzipping
> > Velcro on a regular basis.

> Every trunk bag I've had, the point of failure has been the Velcro, not
> the zippers. When it gets wet or dirty it loses grip, and eventually the
> straps deteriorate from exposure to weather (sun and rain). I
> established a "no velcro" policy for future purchases of trunk bags for
> family members, and as the velcro ones wear out they are being replaced
> by the admittedly expensive Lone Peak. Even made in the U.S.A.--amazing.
>
> I may be the only person in the world that isn't totally awed by Arkel.
> I have the Arkel Bug, and I had to change all the rear racks on the
> bicycles that use it because of design issues with the mounting system.
> See "http://bicycleluggageracks.com".

I will see how the Velcro holds up. If the Velcro becomes annoying,
hopefully it will be possible to jury-rig a different fastening
system, without too much trouble. I would hate to not be able to use a
great bag, just because it uses Velcro by default.

J.

On Dec 17, 9:02 am, datakoll <[email protected]> wrote:
> WELL, Zoot offers a balanced, intelligent and unwanted opinion but
> moving past that the situation is extremely serious both economically
> and in terms of human failure, the confluence: fatal consumerism.
> FC is terminal and hopeless. While repair and maintenance is at hand
> and forced on riders, building, fabricating for the intellectual and
> physical pleasure of doing your own thing remains over the horizon.
> Riders responding positively to my continuously shrill whining on DIY
> as actually doing something have a long history of DIY.
> One invention is a $1 chain guard eliminating 50% of road grit one the
> daily ride.
> Meeting a new cyclist in conversation, I sometimes point to it after
> setting the rider up with chain talk and explain what it does.
> The response is total incomprehension, vacuity. I have asked the rider
> to think in an area never before entered.
> But if I said, this here thing costs $25, will attract drooling Las
> vegas show girls and give you immortality
> THEN they understand.

"Chainguard" is so practical, so retro. Start referring to it as a
"chain fairing" and tout the aero advantages. Then, eBay 'em for $50 a
pop (BUY IT NOW!!!). A CFRP version will fetch a C-note.

> AND YOU ZOOT?

Zoot alors? Zoot suit? Zoot yourself?