The need for high tech traffic detectors

Greens ??? wrote:
> ...Good thing I
> slowed because this was not a careful opening of the door. It was wide open
> with him proudly displaying himself....

Did you yell "small"?

A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

"Ted Bennett" <[email protected]>

Greens wrote:
> If 90% of accidents aren't written up by the police there are a lot more
> accidents than are indicated by the various statistics. Seems to me cycling
> is more dangerous than I think.
>
> The stats I've found all have info like "most accidents occur between 5 and
> 9 pm". Woopee! That's when most cyclists ride because it's cooler. They also
> say that most accidents occur in a three month period. Obviously, most
> riding occurs during June, July and August. If people continued to ride all
> year, there'd be a lot more bicycle fatalities. My prediction - 4 times as
> many at least and maybe more because of slippery roads. On the other hand I
> think people are walk more than three months out of the year, so what
> happens if we compare the cycling deaths in the three months with the
> pedestrian deaths in the same three months. My guess is the cyclists die in
> much higher numbers.
>
> If you're trying to imply that you need to be drunk to get hit, I think
> you're in error. Do drunk cyclists outnumber, percentagewise, drunk drivers?
>
> Some interesting stats I'd like to know -
> How do pedals in clips affect riding and cyclist behavior at intersections?
> Do clips make it more likely that a cyclist won't stop? I'm guessing they
> do. A cyclist that's clipped in will try to roll through whenver possible
> because it's just a pain to unclip.
>
> Another stat I'd like to know about is how high seats affect cyclists
> stopping at stop signs. I know it bothers my hip a little to stand on one
> leg and it probably discourages people when they have to lift their leg way
> up and over the seat to get back on. It's an easy move when you're a kid,
> but not when you're out of shape at 50 years old. Nobody ever researches
> this stuff.

You obviously do not associate with large numbers of cyclists, listening
to their post-crash reports, nor have you reviewed the ample literature.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Aug 29, 8:22 pm, "Greens" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>

>> > Meanwhile, why not do some reading to learn what's really dangerous
>> > and what's not?

>> >http://hazmat.dot.gov/riskmgmt/riskcompare.htm

>> Most bicycling in the USA happens during three months of the year and in
>> those three months most of it also happens in the morning or evening.
>> That
>> should throw some light on your statistics.

> Most swimming in the US happens during three months of the year, too.
> And it's much more dangerous than cycling, both in terms of total
> fatalities and in terms of per-hour fatalities. See
> http://www.magma.ca/~ocbc/comparat.html

That stats are per hour. I and most people will spend more time per bike
trip than per swimming trip. I don't think I've ever swum for more than an
hour at a time, but last night I bicycled for three hours straight.

> Sorry, but no matter how you slice it, cycling is not particularly
> dangerous.

Sorry, but it is. Last night I was going down the road with my headlight on.
A car pulled up on a side street and waited. I had the feeling they were
confused, probably trying to figure out what I was since all they could see
was the headlight. They waited until I was within a few feet and then they
lurched forward a few feet into my path and stopped. I was going slow even
though I was going downhill, but I still had to swerve around them. A few
more feet and I'd have run into the side of their vehicle. If I'd been going
faster, I'd have run into their vehicle at high speed. If a car had been
coming towards me, I might have swerved into his path. How is any of that
situation not dangerous?

A few days before that a woman came out of a house on a quiet road. She had
three dogs, one on a leash. The other two dogs put themselves in my path,
barking and growling. The woman trundled after them slowly and barely made
any effort to control them. If i hadn't stopped, I might have hit the dogs
and that can easily lead to a fall.

Those are just two incidents from the last week. Things like that seldom
happen when I drive and if they do, I know I have an airbag and seatbelts
and a huge cage to protect me.

>> Also, cars travel faster, much
>> faster. Speed gives them range and they also have payload capacity that
>> bikes can only dream of. This makes the car practical.

> Oh, please. Stand near any street and observe what those "practical"
> cars are doing. The vast majority of those 4,000 pound vehicles are
> carrying no payload to speak of, except the driver's butt. Most
> American car trips are short, as well - it would be practical to use a
> bike.

You can't see into the trunk. The grocery store parking lots have lots of
cars in them. What does that tell you about payloads?

> But if you don't want to bike, that's fine. Just quit.
>
>> You think I'm scared of bathtubs? If they don't have a non skid surface,
>> yes. Rightly so. I remember reading about people bashing their heads in
>> while showering after slipping on the soap. It happened quite a bit
>> before
>> tub mats.

> You seem to be an amazingly fearful individual. You are, very
> literally, the only person I've ever heard express fear of bathtubs.
>
> I really think you should stop riding. You're not up to it. And as a
> side benefit, you won't need to bathe as often, so that horror will be
> reduced too. ;-)
>
> - Frank Krygowski

You annoyance. A few years ago I broke my arm rollerblading. I bicycle at
night and during the day. I used to drive thousands of miles a week
thoughout the east coast. Does any of this sound like I'm unusually fearful?
Not to me. Normal people, when they see dangerous situations will fear those
situtations. For instance right now I fear that instead of discussing a
topic honestly, you will instead attack my character as you have in the
past. I fear that you can find statistics that through some skewed logic
show standing in front of speeding cars is not dangerous.

Do you own a bike shop?

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]

>> drivers?
>>
>> Some interesting stats I'd like to know -
>> How do pedals in clips affect riding and cyclist behavior at
>> intersections? Do clips make it more likely that a cyclist won't stop?
>> I'm guessing they do. A cyclist that's clipped in will try to roll
>> through whenver possible because it's just a pain to unclip.
>>
>> Another stat I'd like to know about is how high seats affect cyclists
>> stopping at stop signs. I know it bothers my hip a little to stand on one
>> leg and it probably discourages people when they have to lift their leg
>> way up and over the seat to get back on. It's an easy move when you're a
>> kid, but not when you're out of shape at 50 years old. Nobody ever
>> researches this stuff.

> You obviously do not associate with large numbers of cyclists, listening
> to their post-crash reports, nor have you reviewed the ample literature.

I've only spent a few days looking at crash reports. What's your point? You
don't even say what part of my statements you're attacking.

"Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Greens ??? wrote:
>> ...Good thing I slowed because this was not a careful opening of the
>> door. It was wide open with him proudly displaying himself....

> Did you yell "small"?

What? Is your comment supposed to make sense to me or is it some kind of
inside joke?

On Aug 30, 9:29 am, "Greens" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Sorry, but no matter how you slice it, cycling is not particularly
> > dangerous.

> Sorry, but it is.

No it's not. Not the sort of general commute or pop to the shops style
riding, very safe and you don't need a helmet or a special cage to
protect you. Maybe it's dangerous for you 'cos you lack the skillz and
need to practice your cycle craft. Where cycling can get dangerous is
when it's taken to the extremes, racing, downhill, trials or jumping,
but that could be said for many activities.

"Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Greens who? wrote:
>> ...Women will push a baby carriage right in front of you to make the
>> point that they have the right of way. This is as opposed to slowing down
>> for a couple of seconds. I would think it would be easy to just slow down
>> while pushing a baby carriage, but some women are so intent on pressing
>> their right of way that they'll push that carriage in front of you to
>> make you stop....

> That is what the air horn is for.
>
> I have had much less of a problem with idiot pedestrians since I switched
> to a bike like this: <http://www.ransbikes.com/Rocket07/8Rocket.jpg>.

Put a three foot iron ram bar in front of that and it would have been handy
last night when that car lurched into my path from a side road. I could have
slammed into the driver's door and possibly impaled the driver.

The big ol' buzz saw
> chain ring out front has a certain intimidation factor. :) The recumbent
> position is much better for ramming, since you will not go over the
> handlebars in a minor collision.
>
> This is the best bike for the baby carriage scenario:
> <http://www.outsideconnection.com/gallant/hpv/joe/outtaMyWay_1.mpg> and
> <http://www.outsideconnection.com/gallant/hpv/joe/outtaMyWay_2.mpg>.

Hah. Looks like fun!

> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

In article
<[email protected]>,
"Greens" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Wayne Pein" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Greens wrote:
> >
> >> Why havn't car manufacturers invented some sort of device to let cyclist
> >> know that someone is in the front seat of a parked car? A parked car
> >> isn't going to open it's door unless someone is sitting in the seat.
> >> Sounds like it would be easy to rig up something to let passing cyclists
> >> know that this particular car posses some danger of dooring them.
> >>
> >> Even better would be a gadget that shows the door handle is being touched
> >> on the inside.
> >>

> > You falsely believe that somebody else is responsible for bicyclist
> > safety. YOU and you alone must be competent to reduce your risk. A basic
> > time honored way to do that is to never ride in the door zone. By tracking
> > 5 ft from car side, you ensure this. Riding at this position also compels
> > passing motorists to be more cautious, and it gives you better sightlines
> > and maneuvering space at junctions and from peds that may dash out from
> > between parked cars.
> >
> > Unfortunately, moronic bike lane planners sometimes put bike lanes in the
> > door zone. This is gross negligence at the least.
> >
> > Wayne
> >

> "Tracking five feet from the door zone" I'm guessing that practically means
> riding down the centerline of the road will get motorists ****** at you. Not
> always the safest option. Legally, they can't run you down but...

Positive attitude. A positive attitude will neutralize much ill will.

Many good replies to your concerns.
Have you read them closely?
Have you tried any recommendations?

A confrontational approach is good in some situations
not so good in others. You need not cringe nor be
confrontational on the road.

--
Michael Press

"Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> "Greens" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "Wayne Pein" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > You falsely believe that somebody else is responsible for bicyclist
>> > safety. YOU and you alone must be competent to reduce your risk. A
>> > basic
>> > time honored way to do that is to never ride in the door zone. By
>> > tracking
>> > 5 ft from car side, you ensure this. Riding at this position also
>> > compels
>> > passing motorists to be more cautious, and it gives you better
>> > sightlines
>> > and maneuvering space at junctions and from peds that may dash out from
>> > between parked cars.
>> >
>> > Unfortunately, moronic bike lane planners sometimes put bike lanes in
>> > the
>> > door zone. This is gross negligence at the least.
>> >
>> > Wayne
>> >

>> "Tracking five feet from the door zone" I'm guessing that practically
>> means
>> riding down the centerline of the road will get motorists ****** at you.
>> Not
>> always the safest option. Legally, they can't run you down but...

> Positive attitude. A positive attitude will neutralize much ill will.
>
> Many good replies to your concerns.
> Have you read them closely?
> Have you tried any recommendations?
>
> A confrontational approach is good in some situations
> not so good in others. You need not cringe nor be
> confrontational on the road.
>
> --
> Michael Press

I've always steered clear of the door zone. Once they open the door and hang
out, I've got to steer clear of the "wherever they might jump out of the
truck to" zone which is practically on the front lawn adjacent to the
opposite lane.

Have you really read this thread?

In article
<[email protected]>,
"Greens" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article
> > <[email protected]>,
> > "Greens" <[email protected]> wrote:

[...]

> >> "Tracking five feet from the door zone" I'm guessing that practically
> >> means
> >> riding down the centerline of the road will get motorists ****** at you.
> >> Not
> >> always the safest option. Legally, they can't run you down but...

> > Positive attitude. A positive attitude will neutralize much ill will.
> >
> > Many good replies to your concerns.
> > Have you read them closely?
> > Have you tried any recommendations?
> >
> > A confrontational approach is good in some situations
> > not so good in others. You need not cringe nor be
> > confrontational on the road.

> I've always steered clear of the door zone. Once they open the door and hang
> out, I've got to steer clear of the "wherever they might jump out of the
> truck to" zone which is practically on the front lawn adjacent to the
> opposite lane.
>
> Have you really read this thread?

I asked first.
Have you tried any of the recommendations?

--
Michael Press

Bill Sornson wrote:

> What's not to comprehend? I already promised to take a tape measure along
> on all my rides from now on; what more do ya want?!?

Stalking Ignoramus,

There apparently is alot for you to not comprehend.

"Everybody gets it except Sornson."

Wayne

"Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> "Greens" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > In article
>> > <[email protected]>,
>> > "Greens" <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
>> >
>> > Positive attitude. A positive attitude will neutralize much ill will.
>> >
>> > Many good replies to your concerns.
>> > Have you read them closely?
>> > Have you tried any recommendations?
>> >
>> > A confrontational approach is good in some situations
>> > not so good in others. You need not cringe nor be
>> > confrontational on the road.

>> I've always steered clear of the door zone. Once they open the door and
>> hang
>> out, I've got to steer clear of the "wherever they might jump out of the
>> truck to" zone which is practically on the front lawn adjacent to the
>> opposite lane.
>>
>> Have you really read this thread?

> I asked first.
> Have you tried any of the recommendations?
>
> --
> Michael Press

I just told you I stay out of the door zone and I've read the thread. Have
you read the whole thread?

Pein's World o' Paranoia wrote:
> Bill Sornson wrote:

(about WHAT?!?)

>> What's not to comprehend? I already promised to take a tape measure
>> along on all my rides from now on; what more do ya want?!?

> Stalking Ignoramus,

Simple Solution: stop replying to my every post!

> There apparently is alot for you to not comprehend.

Just got back from yet another ride (this one a shade under 30). Pretty
soon my right arm will be longer than my left due to constantly throwing out
the tape measure and staying exactly 11 feet from the curb! Maybe I'll get
a hand weight for the left side to keep things even...

Bill "plan to sue if distraction causes me to crash" S.

Bill Sornson wrote:

> Just got back from yet another ride (this one a shade under 30). Pretty
> soon my right arm will be longer than my left due to constantly throwing out
> the tape measure and staying exactly 11 feet from the curb! Maybe I'll get
> a hand weight for the left side to keep things even...

Ignoramus,

Even though I explictly explained to you my meaning, you STILL don't get
it, and are intent on trying a gain a smidgen of credibility by "calling
me out." Well, you can't call me out when you are the only ignoramus who
misinterprets (purposefully?) my writing. Besides, nobody listens to
your constant wimpering.

Twinky, I bet a cry baby like you rode your K-Mart mountain bike in bike
lanes the whole way.

Wayne

Wayne Pein wrote:
> Bill Sornson wrote:

{Hey, there's some missing stuff. AS ALWAYS.}

>> Just got back from yet another ride (this one a shade under 30). Pretty
>> soon my right arm will be longer than my left due to
>> constantly throwing out the tape measure and staying exactly 11 feet
>> from the curb! Maybe I'll get a hand weight for the left side to
>> keep things even...

> Ignoramus,
>
> Even though I explictly explained to you my meaning, you STILL don't
> get it, and are intent on trying a gain a smidgen of credibility by
> "calling me out." Well, you can't call me out when you are the only
> ignoramus who misinterprets (purposefully?) my writing. Besides,
> nobody listens to your constant wimpering.
>
> Twinky, I bet a cry baby like you rode your K-Mart mountain bike in
> bike lanes the whole way.

K-MART! (Slaps head.) That would have been a good place to stock up on
tape measures.

THANKS, PENI'S WORLD!!!
--
"If there is parking, even sporadic parking, on the road you should be
tracking 11 ft from the edge of the road at all times." -- Wayne "PARANOID"

On Aug 30, 10:29 am, "Greens" <[email protected]> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>

> > Most swimming in the US happens during three months of the year, too.
> > And it's much more dangerous than cycling, both in terms of total
> > fatalities and in terms of per-hour fatalities. See
> >http://www.magma.ca/~ocbc/comparat.html

> That stats are per hour. I and most people will spend more time per bike
> trip than per swimming trip. I don't think I've ever swum for more than an
> hour at a time, but last night I bicycled for three hours straight.

Look at their per-hour estimates for riding or driving passenger
cars. How much time do you spend driving?

You are grasping at straws, hoping to demonstrate that bicycling is
very dangerous. But all you're demonstrating is that you don't
understand numbers and data.

> > Sorry, but no matter how you slice it, cycling is not particularly
> > dangerous.

> Sorry, but it is. Last night I was going down the road with my headlight on.
> A car pulled up on a side street and waited. I had the feeling they were
> confused, probably trying to figure out what I was since all they could see
> was the headlight. They waited until I was within a few feet and then they
> lurched forward a few feet into my path and stopped. I was going slow even
> though I was going downhill, but I still had to swerve around them. A few
> more feet and I'd have run into the side of their vehicle. If I'd been going
> faster, I'd have run into their vehicle at high speed. If a car had been
> coming towards me, I might have swerved into his path. How is any of that
> situation not dangerous?
>
> A few days before that a woman came out of a house on a quiet road. She had
> three dogs, one on a leash. The other two dogs put themselves in my path,
> barking and growling. The woman trundled after them slowly and barely made
> any effort to control them. If i hadn't stopped, I might have hit the dogs
> and that can easily lead to a fall.
>
> Those are just two incidents from the last week. Things like that seldom
> happen when I drive and if they do, I know I have an airbag and seatbelts
> and a huge cage to protect me.

OK, I'll admit this: It is possible for cycling to be dangerous for a
certain individual, provided he's bad enough at it. The data I posted
gives the average level of danger, but there are always people who are
much better than average, and people who are much worse.

>From what you've described, you must be one of the latter. Either

that, or you are terrified by incidents that don't needlessly worry
the rest of us. You should probably find some other hobby.

But please, if and when you are scared away from bicycling, don't
disparage bicycling itself. Just tell people you don't think you can
do it safely, even though the average person can.

- Frank Krygowski

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Aug 30, 10:29 am, "Greens" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>

>> > Most swimming in the US happens during three months of the year, too.
>> > And it's much more dangerous than cycling, both in terms of total
>> > fatalities and in terms of per-hour fatalities. See
>> >http://www.magma.ca/~ocbc/comparat.html

>> That stats are per hour. I and most people will spend more time per bike
>> trip than per swimming trip. I don't think I've ever swum for more than
>> an
>> hour at a time, but last night I bicycled for three hours straight.

> Look at their per-hour estimates for riding or driving passenger
> cars. How much time do you spend driving?

That's exactly what I object to. The stats are tabulated to make bicycling
look safer.

> You are grasping at straws, hoping to demonstrate that bicycling is
> very dangerous. But all you're demonstrating is that you don't
> understand numbers and data.

No. That's what you're doing. I'm a cycling enthusiast. I don't have any
interest in making cycling look safer or more dangerous than it is. I'm just
interested in the truth. You or one of the other guys here already admitted
that I shouldn't stir up the safety issue because "it makes it harder for
rest of us." See that? Not interested in the truth. Interested in supressing
the truth for the sake of the sport.

>> > Sorry, but no matter how you slice it, cycling is not particularly
>> > dangerous.

>> Sorry, but it is. Last night I was going down the road with my headlight
>> on.
>> A car pulled up on a side street and waited. I had the feeling they were
>> confused, probably trying to figure out what I was since all they could
>> see
>> was the headlight. They waited until I was within a few feet and then
>> they
>> lurched forward a few feet into my path and stopped. I was going slow
>> even
>> though I was going downhill, but I still had to swerve around them. A few
>> more feet and I'd have run into the side of their vehicle. If I'd been
>> going
>> faster, I'd have run into their vehicle at high speed. If a car had been
>> coming towards me, I might have swerved into his path. How is any of that
>> situation not dangerous?
>>
>> A few days before that a woman came out of a house on a quiet road. She
>> had
>> three dogs, one on a leash. The other two dogs put themselves in my path,
>> barking and growling. The woman trundled after them slowly and barely
>> made
>> any effort to control them. If i hadn't stopped, I might have hit the
>> dogs
>> and that can easily lead to a fall.
>>
>> Those are just two incidents from the last week. Things like that seldom
>> happen when I drive and if they do, I know I have an airbag and seatbelts
>> and a huge cage to protect me.

> OK, I'll admit this: It is possible for cycling to be dangerous for a
> certain individual, provided he's bad enough at it. The data I posted
> gives the average level of danger, but there are always people who are
> much better than average, and people who are much worse.
>
>>From what you've described, you must be one of the latter. Either

> that, or you are terrified by incidents that don't needlessly worry
> the rest of us. You should probably find some other hobby.
>
> But please, if and when you are scared away from bicycling, don't
> disparage bicycling itself. Just tell people you don't think you can
> do it safely, even though the average person can.
>
> - Frank Krygowski

Again, you're asking me to lie and this **** about it being dangerous for "a
certain individual" annoys me. You think you're really something.

Do you think people, these powerful anti cycling legislators and cops, are
watching this forum and reading my posts and then deciding to pass laws to
ban cycling? Ha ha. You probably love those ******** statistics that make
cycling look safer than it is, but maybe you've never considered that's why
it hasn't been made safer. You just want things to stay as they are. You
don't car enough about your fellow cyclists, who you feel are inferior. It
doesn't bother you at all that these inferiors read the happy sounding
statistics and take up the sport and then get killed. All you care about is
that your sport stays the way it is.

On Aug 31, 12:06 am, "Greens" <[email protected]> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...

> >> That stats are per hour. I and most people will spend more time per bike
> >> trip than per swimming trip. I don't think I've ever swum for more than
> >> an
> >> hour at a time, but last night I bicycled for three hours straight.

> > Look at their per-hour estimates for riding or driving passenger
> > cars. How much time do you spend driving?

> That's exactly what I object to. The stats are tabulated to make bicycling
> look safer.

You're completely wrong once again.

That table or comparative risks per hour was assembled by the largest
risk consulting firm in the country. It first appeared in an
automotive trade magazine, in an article discussing fires within
cars. It was in no way intended to promote bicycling - or domestic
airlines, or hunting, or any of the activities that are safer than
riding in motor vehicles. It simply gives the numbers as they are.

If you don't like that per-hour data, produce some of your own. (I
have more, but I'm sure you'll dislike it, since it also disproves
your claims.)

> > You are grasping at straws, hoping to demonstrate that bicycling is
> > very dangerous. But all you're demonstrating is that you don't
> > understand numbers and data.

> No. That's what you're doing. I'm a cycling enthusiast. I don't have any
> interest in making cycling look safer or more dangerous than it is. I'm just
> interested in the truth.

Then let me repeat: Dig out your own per-hour data and post it
here.

> You or one of the other guys here already admitted
> that I shouldn't stir up the safety issue because "it makes it harder for
> rest of us." See that? Not interested in the truth. Interested in supressing
> the truth for the sake of the sport.

Another mistake. I am very interested in the truth. I don't want you
_lying_ about cycling's danger.

The fundamental problem is, you are looking at each incident where you
feel you possibly came a little too close to hurting yourself, and
treating each such incident as a terrible tragedy.

However: a) It's likely you made mistakes in most, if not every,
case. And b) you were not injured anyway.

Safety data is not based on how frequently a less-competent individual
scares himself. Safety data is based on how frequently the average
person actually gets seriously injured or killed. That fundamental
difference is tripping you up.

Those interested in this issue are welcome to read
http://www.bicyclinglife.com/SafetySkills/SafetyQuiz.htm
and to check out the listed sources.

- Frank Krygowski

In article
<[email protected]>,
"Greens" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article
> > <[email protected]>,
> > "Greens" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> "Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

> > [...]
> >>
> >> I've always steered clear of the door zone. Once they open the door and
> >> hang
> >> out, I've got to steer clear of the "wherever they might jump out of the
> >> truck to" zone which is practically on the front lawn adjacent to the
> >> opposite lane.
> >>
> >> Have you really read this thread?

> > I asked first.
> > Have you tried any of the recommendations?
> >
> > --
> > Michael Press

> I just told you I stay out of the door zone and I've read the thread. Have
> you read the whole thread?

This is a quotation from you:

> Example 1: Biking down the road, there's a parked car up ahead. I can't tell
> if someone is in the driver's seat. That might be a headrest and even if it
> isn't the driver might be bent over. I'd like to steer wide around the
> parked car, but I can hear a car coming behind me.

You do not stay out of the door lane. This is an example
of how well I read this thread.

--
Michael Press

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Aug 31, 12:06 am, "Greens" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > Look at their per-hour estimates for riding or driving passenger
>> > cars. How much time do you spend driving?

>> That's exactly what I object to. The stats are tabulated to make
>> bicycling
>> look safer.

> You're completely wrong once again.
>
> That table or comparative risks per hour was assembled by the largest
> risk consulting firm in the country. It first appeared in an
> automotive trade magazine, in an article discussing fires within
> cars. It was in no way intended to promote bicycling - or domestic
> airlines, or hunting, or any of the activities that are safer than
> riding in motor vehicles. It simply gives the numbers as they are.
>
> If you don't like that per-hour data, produce some of your own. (I
> have more, but I'm sure you'll dislike it, since it also disproves
> your claims.)

My claim, as you call it, is that bicycling is pretty dangerous and
unforgiving. Is serving with the US military in Iraq dangerous? Most people
would say it is. In the same period of time as the Iraq war, the same number
of people have been killed here in the USA bicycling. I don't have a number
for how many people bicycle as opposed to how many serve in Iraq, but it
probably would be interesting numbers especially when you consider most
bicycling happens during three months of the year whereas fighting in Iraq
is pretty much all year and cyclists in the USA are a small minority.

2) Bicycyles offer no protection in an accident. Cars do. Most people have
at least a few fender benders during their lifetimes driving their cars. On
a bicycle those same fender bender speed accidents can easily turn fatal,
hence bicyling in traffic is unforgiving.

3) Cyclists have little control over dangerous conditions. - There's no way
to know when the next drunk or incompetent will come up behind you in a 3000
pound vehicle. There's no way to know what the drivers of same vehicles will
do. Their actions can seem predictable at times, but there are always
anomalies. It only takes one anomaly to get a bicyclist killed. There's no
way to control the speed of motorists. There's no way to control the
aggression level of motorists. It's easier and more likely that a motorist
will have a weapon like a bat or tire iron on board. Who wants to ride with
a tire iron? The effect of bad drivers on a cyclist can be to aggravate the
cyclist to the point of rage, which can turn verbal sparring into deadly
combat.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07236/811824-94.stm

4) A dog can kill a bicyclist just by running out and getting in the
cyclist's path. A car can also loose control, but if a car runs the animal
over, there's very little chance the motorist will flip out of his
windshield and split his head open on the pavement. The presence of dogs and
actions of dogs are like human actions - usually predictable but
occasionally unpredicatable. Deer can also be a hazard, both live and dead
deer. A dead carcass on the side of the road at night can result in a fall,
death, or unconsciousness. Laying in the road unconscious at night is
definitely very high risk.

Bicycle design hasn't changed much since 1909. Cars have made a lot of
changes and cars are inspected for safety in most states. Cars have turn
signals and brake lights. Bikes don't. Cars have air bags. Bikes don't. Cars
have good headlights and their candlepower is regulated. Bike shops will
sell you any piece of **** and call it a headlight.

My girlfriend got hit by a car in broad daylight about 35 years ago. She
almost lost her life and later her leg, but she still rides today. She has
been in constant pain for 35 years though and that situation will never
change. Downhill skiing isn't really possible for her because of knee
damage. Many other activities and actions, quite ordinary things really, are
also prohibited. She's maimed for life at a young age because of a slow
speed accident involving her bike and a car that didn't even stop. The
driver was never caught or charged even though there were a lot of
witnesses. It was a pretty busy intersection at that time of day.

Fatalities and wheelchairs aren't the whole story. They're ignored in your
stats. Lots of people "recover", but they're in constant pain forever.
Functionality isn't always total functioality and it doesn't cover pain. If
you could quantify the pain suffered by this one girl over 35 years and
compare it to the pain of someone who didn't bicycle, you'd probably have
10,000 pounds for her and 200 pounds for the non cyclist.

>> > You are grasping at straws, hoping to demonstrate that bicycling is
>> > very dangerous. But all you're demonstrating is that you don't
>> > understand numbers and data.

>> No. That's what you're doing. I'm a cycling enthusiast. I don't have any
>> interest in making cycling look safer or more dangerous than it is. I'm
>> just
>> interested in the truth.

> Then let me repeat: Dig out your own per-hour data and post it
> here.
>
>> You or one of the other guys here already admitted
>> that I shouldn't stir up the safety issue because "it makes it harder for
>> rest of us." See that? Not interested in the truth. Interested in
>> supressing
>> the truth for the sake of the sport.

> Another mistake. I am very interested in the truth. I don't want you
> _lying_ about cycling's danger.
>
> The fundamental problem is, you are looking at each incident where you
> feel you possibly came a little too close to hurting yourself, and
> treating each such incident as a terrible tragedy.
>
> However: a) It's likely you made mistakes in most, if not every,
> case. And b) you were not injured anyway.
>
> Safety data is not based on how frequently a less-competent individual
> scares himself. Safety data is based on how frequently the average
> person actually gets seriously injured or killed. That fundamental
> difference is tripping you up.
>
> Those interested in this issue are welcome to read
> http://www.bicyclinglife.com/SafetySkills/SafetyQuiz.htm
> and to check out the listed sources.
>
> - Frank Krygowski

It only takes one accident, Frank, and then cycling is no longer healthy.
Your stats and the environmental superiority of the bicycle become
irrelevant. (Go ahead and figure out the environmental cost of living in a
wheelchair if you like.)

I know a close call when I see one and I see a lot more close calls when I
ride my bicycle than when I drive my car. I'm constantly reminded of the
consequences of these close calls every time my woman complains that her
knee is killing her, she can't stand another minute of pain, or she can't do
this or that.