Need a High Quality Rear Rack Trunk Bag - Crappy Zippers Need Not Apply!

From the French du jour ("of the day"), and thus temporary

VELCRO needs maintenance thru combing with a dry brush or wet with
dilute dush liquid "soap" and hosed out with a solid stream of water.
there is advice. off course, on the net. Wikipedia?

you can buy, Seattle Fabrics, 2" wide velcro to replace the worn out
velcro. Velcro has two sides-hook and loop.

On Dec 17, 8:23 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 17, 7:09 am, Ozark Bicycle
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Dec 16, 10:31 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I *did* tell you about my collection of adhesive Robert Goulet (now in
> > > the claws of Jebus) moustaches I got in the back of the gaderobe?!

> > > <me tosses Ozark a classic model, black as licorice!>

> > Yeah, yeah.....but, do you have the rare, '60s vintage *unbleached*
> > Carol Lawrence 'stache?

> That's just residue from when she won the Hasty Pudding Woman of the
> Year Award!

Why does it smell like fish?

On Dec 17, 7:50 am, SMS $B;[h\J8(B* $B2F(B <[email protected]> wrote:
> Jay wrote:
> > The Lone Peak does look like a good bag. My experience with Velcro has been,
> > if you leave it zipped, it will last. That is what I plan to do with my
> > Arkel Tail Rider. But I agree with you, buckles are better than unzipping
> > Velcro on a regular basis.

> Every trunk bag I've had, the point of failure has been the Velcro, not
> the zippers. When it gets wet or dirty it loses grip, and eventually the
> straps deteriorate from exposure to weather (sun and rain). I
> established a "no velcro" policy for future purchases of trunk bags for
> family members, and as the velcro ones wear out they are being replaced
> by the admittedly expensive Lone Peak. Even made in the U.S.A.--amazing.
>
> I may be the only person in the world that isn't totally awed by Arkel.
> I have the Arkel Bug, and I had to change all the rear racks on the
> bicycles that use it because of design issues with the mounting system.
> See "http://bicycleluggageracks.com".

It looks like Tim's suggestion of the Ortlieb Bike Box2 would probably
be the most durable and trouble-free mounting system. It has a rack
adapter http://www.ortliebusa.com/cartgenie/prodInfo.asp?pid=141&cid=2
which allows you to just snap the box on and off the rack. From the
manufacturer point of view, Velcro is easier and cheaper for them. But
the Ortlieb adapter would probably be more durable, and the on/off
process would be easier and faster than Velcro.

J.

On Dec 17, 9:59 am, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 17, 8:23 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Dec 17, 7:09 am, Ozark Bicycle

> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Yeah, yeah.....but, do you have the rare, '60s vintage *unbleached*
> > > Carol Lawrence 'stache?

> > That's just residue from when she won the Hasty Pudding Woman of the
> > Year Award!

> Why does it smell like fish?

face lift! (ask Joan Rivers if ya don't get it)

[email protected] wrote:

<snip>

> It looks like Tim's suggestion of the Ortlieb Bike Box2 would probably
> be the most durable and trouble-free mounting system. It has a rack
> adapter http://www.ortliebusa.com/cartgenie/prodInfo.asp?pid=141&cid=2
> which allows you to just snap the box on and off the rack. From the
> manufacturer point of view, Velcro is easier and cheaper for them. But
> the Ortlieb adapter would probably be more durable, and the on/off
> process would be easier and faster than Velcro.

Then you have to buy a rack adapter for every bike you ever expect to
use it on, but it's better than using Velcro fasteners.

[email protected] wrote:
> On Dec 17, 7:50 am, SMS 斯蒂文* 夏 <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Jay wrote:
>>> The Lone Peak does look like a good bag. My experience with Velcro has been,
>>> if you leave it zipped, it will last. That is what I plan to do with my
>>> Arkel Tail Rider. But I agree with you, buckles are better than unzipping
>>> Velcro on a regular basis.

>> Every trunk bag I've had, the point of failure has been the Velcro, not
>> the zippers. When it gets wet or dirty it loses grip, and eventually the
>> straps deteriorate from exposure to weather (sun and rain). I
>> established a "no velcro" policy for future purchases of trunk bags for
>> family members, and as the velcro ones wear out they are being replaced
>> by the admittedly expensive Lone Peak. Even made in the U.S.A.--amazing.
>>
>> I may be the only person in the world that isn't totally awed by Arkel.
>> I have the Arkel Bug, and I had to change all the rear racks on the
>> bicycles that use it because of design issues with the mounting system.
>> See "http://bicycleluggageracks.com".
>>

> I will see how the Velcro holds up. If the Velcro becomes annoying,
> hopefully it will be possible to jury-rig a different fastening
> system, without too much trouble. I would hate to not be able to use a
> great bag, just because it uses Velcro by default.

IMVAIO, if it uses velcro to hold it onto the rack, then it's not a
great bag.

Pelican and Otter boxes are mountable individually or in a duffel.

Row of velcro on the box bottom, ply surface on rack (tilted
backwards) then cam straps over the box thru clips mounted on the box-
see Seattle Fabrics marine hardware-and uroff.
and don't forget the safety wire.
I place the electronics in a box. Electronics are stripped with closed
cell foam, box is packed with foam.

On Dec 17, 10:42 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 17, 9:59 am, Ozark Bicycle
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Dec 17, 8:23 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > That's just residue from when she won the Hasty Pudding Woman of the
> > > Year Award!

> > Why does it smell like fish?

> face lift! (ask Joan Rivers if ya don't get it)

Joan's not taking my calls, can you 'splain?

This doesn't involve velcro, straps and/or "rack adapters", does it? :-

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 22:40:21 -0600, Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Yeah, try dialing 311 sometime! The person who answers sounds like
>he/she is a native English speaker, but with no comprehension!

I've learned that speech recognition robots respond to a growl by
immediately connecting you to a human.
--
zk

Zoot Katz wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 22:40:21 -0600, Tom Sherman
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, try dialing 311 sometime! The person who answers sounds like
>> he/she is a native English speaker, but with no comprehension!

> I've learned that speech recognition robots respond to a growl by
> immediately connecting you to a human.

311 is the number for City of Chicago information. It is staffed by real
people (patronage jobs, no doubt), but they are less helpful than a
computer with voice recognition technology.

Beer - It's not just for breakfast anymore!

On Dec 16, 10:22 pm, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 10:45:32 -0600, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Thanks for the Arkel info! Arkel is news to me. I just ordered the Tail
> >Riderhttp://www.arkel-od.com/panniers/tailrider/overview.asp?fl=1&site=. I
> >like the integrated rain cover. I expect the cover will help keep the crud
> >out of the zippers.

> The company's full name is "Arkel OverDesigns".
>
> It seems a most fitting appellation as one discovers the details
> incorporated into every product.

I agree. I have been using the Arkel bag for one day, and I am
impressed by the quality, and by the design.

J.

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 17:52:57 -0600, A Muzi <[email protected]>
wrote:

>OK, I can see that.
>
>But we were talking about a zipper replacement at a leather or
>alterations shop where English may be imperfect but still useful. I can
>see your average immigrant with a sewing machine having greater
>motivation to get that right than anyone at 311 or Dell has for anything
>you'd care to call about.

I hope you're not suggesting that state or off-shore workers are not
motivated by a desire to maximize quality and customer satisfaction!

Tom Sherman wrote:
(snip)
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> POST FREE OR DIE!

I gotta ask now: is "Holstein-Friesland Bovina" in New Hampshire (AKA
COWhampshire), the "Live Free or Die" state? Inquiring minds want to know.

---
Michael

"Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Tom Sherman wrote:
> (snip)
>> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
>> POST FREE OR DIE!

> I gotta ask now: is "Holstein-Friesland Bovina" in New Hampshire (AKA
> COWhampshire), the "Live Free or Die" state? Inquiring minds want to
> know.
>
> ---
> Michael

You are braver than me. I was afraid to ask.

J.

Michael wrote:

> Tom Sherman wrote:
> (snip)
>> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
>> POST FREE OR DIE!

> I gotta ask now: is "Holstein-Friesland Bovina" in New Hampshire (AKA
> COWhampshire), the "Live Free or Die" state? Inquiring minds want to know.

See <http://www.legis.state.wi.us/LRB/BB/01bb/ch11.pdf>.

POST FREE OR DIE!

Jay Bollyn wrote:
> "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Tom Sherman wrote:
>> (snip)
>>> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
>>> POST FREE OR DIE!

>> I gotta ask now: is "Holstein-Friesland Bovina" in New Hampshire (AKA
>> COWhampshire), the "Live Free or Die" state? Inquiring minds want to
>> know.
>>
>> ---
>> Michael
>>

> You are braver than me. I was afraid to ask.

Because one of our state traditions is the Friday night FIB fry? ;)

POST FREE OR DIE!

Michael wrote:
> I gotta ask now: is "Holstein-Friesland Bovina" in New Hampshire (AKA
> COWhampshire), the "Live Free or Die" state? Inquiring minds want to know.

Wisconsin. Out here in cow country, the cute ones are Holsteins. I hired
and artist to make us up a Jersey graphic once. Bleccch. That's one ugly
cow. Now we have a pretty Holstein logo.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>> Tom Sherman wrote:
>> (snip)
>>> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
>>> POST FREE OR DIE!

> Michael wrote:
>> I gotta ask now: is "Holstein-Friesland Bovina" in New Hampshire (AKA
>> COWhampshire), the "Live Free or Die" state? Inquiring minds want to
>> know.

> Wisconsin. Out here in cow country, the cute ones are Holsteins. I hired
> and artist to make us up a Jersey graphic once. Bleccch. That's one ugly
> cow. Now we have a pretty Holstein logo.
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> www.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Yeah, that is because WI is mostly about dairy.

I like Hereford Angus cross, for beef. But not personally.

J.