Need Advice on Bike Sizing and new Cannondale

Sunny Sadana

May 8, 2011
I'm about to purchase my first roadbike and have been to a couple of shops and checked out a few aluminumframe/carbon fork bikes. I just put a deposit on a Cannondale CAAD 8,6 2010, 51 cm, because it seemed like a good deal. I road around the block, and it felt great at first impression.

My only issue is, I'm about 5'7.5 (or 171cm) tall, and have about a 29 inch inseam, and When I went to a prior bike shop, I got outfitted to a 54cm....

So, do I go with the Cannondale 51 cm (it seems to be a good deal with Tiagra Shifters, but is only a 2 versus 3 gear), or do I pick something different up for a similar price (850) like the Specialized Allez (54cm)? In other words, am I just getting ripped off here by the shop so they can get rid of their old inventory, or would a 51cm Cannondale at that price be a good deal?

the 51cm is better for your size, or a 52cm,

Originally Posted by Sunny Sadana .

My only issue is, I'm about 5'7.5 (or 171cm) tall, and have about a 29 inch inseam, and When I went to a prior bike shop, I got outfitted to a 54cm....

vspa said:

the 51cm is better for your size, or a 52cm,

That's the problem with Cannondale--they do not make the CAAD or the Synapse bikes in a 52 cm or a 53 cm frame.