Need recommendation for Mtn Bike under $700

Paul Jackson

Guest
Hello,

I have a budget of up to $700 to get a mountain bike. Any recommendations for models/manufacturers
in this price range? I will not be doing any hard core racing, just pleasure riding.

Thanks! -Paul

replace nospam.nospam with att.net in my e-mail address to respond privately.

--

Help prevent pet overpopulation. Please spay & neuter your pets. http://www.doghause.com/neuter.html
http://www.fixcats.com

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:

Jamis Dakar. Full Suspension and right in your price range.

--
mark Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog it is too dark to read - Groucho
Marx xes out for mail "Paul Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:z2%%[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> I have a budget of up to $700 to get a mountain bike. Any recommendations for models/manufacturers
> in this price range? I will not be doing any hard core racing, just pleasure riding.
>
> Thanks! -Paul
>
> replace nospam.nospam with att.net in my e-mail address to respond privately.
>
> --
>
> Help prevent pet overpopulation. Please spay & neuter your pets.
> http://www.doghause.com/neuter.html http://www.fixcats.com
>
> --
> rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or
> contact the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
> http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

Get a bike with just front suspension. something like this Jamis Exile should be under $700
http://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/03_2exile.html or the Jamis Dakota AL, maybe over $700
http://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/03_2dakotaal.html

"Paul Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:z2%%[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> I have a budget of up to $700 to get a mountain bike. Any recommendations for models/manufacturers
> in this price range? I will not be doing any hard core racing, just pleasure riding.
>
> Thanks! -Paul
>
> replace nospam.nospam with att.net in my e-mail address to respond privately.
>
> --
>
> Help prevent pet overpopulation. Please spay & neuter your pets.
> http://www.doghause.com/neuter.html http://www.fixcats.com
>
> --
> rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or
> contact the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
> http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

"Paul Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<z2%%[email protected]>...
> Hello,
>
> I have a budget of up to $700 to get a mountain bike. Any recommendations for models/manufacturers
> in this price range? I will not be doing any hard core racing, just pleasure riding.
>
> Thanks! -Paul

depends on the type of riding you do and your own personal preferences. the dakar would probably be
one of the best choices if you want full suspension. i'm still one of those dinosaur hardtail
holdouts, and ride a gary fisher marlin. had it three years and it's been very reliable for my
(admittedly) gentle riding style. i do weigh 235#, however. for a little more money (still under
$700), almost all the bike companies make great hardtails. i don't think you could go wrong with any
of them, just pick a good dealer. smokey

Check out the Surly 1x1 @ http://www.surlybikes.com/ :: One gear, many speeds. DT