New cyclist in need of some advice.

Mike-O-

Apr 25, 2006
Hello everyone. I am pretty new to the forums though have been reading some of the articles for the past few weeks. Last summer I got into cycling on an old rusty bike I had found in the garage, so I figured if I was going to get into it I'd might as well buy something a bit better.

I felt this was reasonably priced ($740) and seemed to offer what I wanted. If anyone has any information on the bike or could validate that it was infact a decent purchase that would great!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7235421729&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

What things would you consider upgrading off the bat? How would one go about fitting on this bike? I am 5'7 (Im 18, so I've still got an inch or two coming) on a 54cm frame.

Thanks a ton!

-Mike

I don't know much about upgrading THAT bike, but it looks like a very nice bike for the money. my first bike was a Schwinn Circuit, pre-index shifting, so that little fact AGES me then. :)

frame size seems good for your height if your inseam is normal for your height.

if you know a reliable bike shop have them fit the bike TO you.

best test is to get the bike fitted to you, then ride! if you can ride it a long distance with relatively little aches in key areas you are on your way. key areas being lower back, arms and shoulders, feet, legs. those are my target areas. i've done rides relatively pain free, and then i've done rides with my right side lower back all the way to my right foot going f*cking numb on me, and painful. not a painless numbing. after some minor adjustments, back to no pain. so many factors can make a difference. seat angle not just seat height, seat location (forward or back on the rails), handlebar height in relation to seat height, handlebar extension length, etc. so again...have your bike fitted to you.

then as you learn about components you might consider upgrading. if money is no option, personally i'd go for a Campy Record 10 speed gruppo. but that's me. i love campy.
If money is tight, you can find 9-speed gruppos, i think, out there STILL. I replaced my worn out 9-speed Ultegra gruppo on my 2000 Lemond last summer for less than 300bucks.
and happy riding. get out there and do it!
cheers!