New cyclocross thread

whoawhoa

Oct 28, 2004
It's almost 'cross season again. Anybody racing? Anyone going to nationals? What sort of training, stuff like that.

Personally, cross is one of my season focuses, I've already been riding the bike and will start running soon.

Not the reply you want but!... I think I'd like to give cycle cross ago. I currently just ride on the road, it would be a lot of fun to get off the road and do something a little more muddy and dangerous.

BAdBreaks

BadBreaks said:
Not the reply you want but!... I think I'd like to give cycle cross ago. I currently just ride on the road, it would be a lot of fun to get off the road and do something a little more muddy and dangerous.

BAdBreaks
I'm just glad someone replied! Yeah, cross is so fun. I mountain bike and have good tech skills but 'cross is totally different since you're on skinny tires and at higher speeds than on an mtb. The other thing I like about 'cross is the race style: pure, all out street fight. I love races where it's just all-out, attack, hold a gap, etc. Road races are sometimes like that but other times everyone just looks at each other, 'cross is never like that.

whoawhoa said:
I'm just glad someone replied! Yeah, cross is so fun. I mountain bike and have good tech skills but 'cross is totally different since you're on skinny tires and at higher speeds than on an mtb. The other thing I like about 'cross is the race style: pure, all out street fight. I love races where it's just all-out, attack, hold a gap, etc. Road races are sometimes like that but other times everyone just looks at each other, 'cross is never like that.
I've not heard much about cyclocross b4 - so MTBing, on a road bike? do you constantly break bikes? it sounds a bit dangerous to me!

Roberto badgio said:
I've not heard much about cyclocross b4 - so MTBing, on a road bike? do you constantly break bikes? it sounds a bit dangerous to me!
Not, it's not really like mountain biking. The courses are usually 1-1.5 miles, and the races are done on time, like a crit, 60 minutes for elite, as low as 30 minutes for begginers. The courses usually start with a good road section, before going off onto grass, dirt, gravel, whatever. But the off-road stuff is all wide, not very technical, and fast, unless of course it's muddy. Then there's obstacles to run, like hills, mud/sand pits, and wood barriers.

whoawhoa said:
Not, it's not really like mountain biking. The courses are usually 1-1.5 miles, and the races are done on time, like a crit, 60 minutes for elite, as low as 30 minutes for begginers. The courses usually start with a good road section, before going off onto grass, dirt, gravel, whatever. But the off-road stuff is all wide, not very technical, and fast, unless of course it's muddy. Then there's obstacles to run, like hills, mud/sand pits, and wood barriers.
Oh, yeah, and if you're interested, go to http://www.cyclingnews.com/cross/ and http://cyclocross.info (belgian site, click on the brit/us flag in the top right corner) for some cool photos that might give you a better idea of what it's like.