New International Cyclist Website

On 2005-09-30, Terry Collins (aka Bruce)
> No, no, I've been waiting to use exactly that expression myself.
> Fitted a harness to the cat quite a few days ago and she basically did
> that. Just froze cataonic like and didn't move.....woops, she's terrified,

Hey, that's right! I remember, I have one of those. Sitting under
the couch, unused. I used to attempt it on both kittens, and take
them down to the park. I gave up when Phred would wriggle out of it,
and when Purrple would just freeze. Poor thing, terrified of a bit of
grass and a small tree.

--
TimC
Shift to the Left;

On 2005-09-30, Shane Stanley (aka Bruce)
> In article <[email protected]>,
> cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Didn't he make a little pair of goggles for the cat?

> Like this?
>
> http://www.strangecosmos.com/content/item/110037.html

No, more like this (seen earlier in this thread)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/endroll/catklein.jpg

Which brings the thread nicely back ontopic!

--
TimC
A: Top posters.

On 2005-09-30, roshea (aka Bruce)

> cfsmtb Wrote:
>> Didn't he make a little pair of goggles for the cat?

> Yeah. And a helmet. *http://tinyurl.com/3glyv*

"..and he doesn't like people who link to his picture, so
don't. You've been warned!"

Ooookaaaaay. What's this interwebnet thingy? You mean, you can
"click" on "links" with your "mouse"?

--
TimC
MacOSX: Sort of like a pedigree persian cat. Very sleek, very

warrwych wrote:

> My cat travels fairly regularly with me to the big smoke. She will
> enter the cage of her own volition no problems (I leave it open on the
> floor while I pack the car and she packs herself). She does love to
> sing along to the radio for the whole trip, and she ain't gunna make
> Idol that's for sure!

Interesting.

> I tried lead training her when she was younger
> but gave up as the catatonia was chronic.

We discussed this, but I nixed it. Cats go from cover to cover, which
would mean lots of tangled leads.

> When I was very young, my mother and I used to take the dog
> and the cat for walks on leads down the street.

Hmm, did you start with a ktten?

I remember a past post where someone had a cat trained for bicycle
touring, but the key was they started with a kitten. <_ not bicycling
bit here.

> Funniest pet picnic I have seen is a young woman reading a book in a
> park in Sth Yarra. Beside her was a wicker basket... and two rabbits in
> harnesses, on leads, tied to the basket.

Makes sense actually if you keep them in a flat. They can be quite tame
if you start patting them when still blind (needs a friendly mother).
But don't let them have the run of the place, unless you want chewed
cords (telephone, power, speaker, etc) Yep, been there done that.

cfsmtb wrote:

> Ok I'll be mildly serious now on aus.bicycle.cats. There is pet-friendy
> holiday accommodation available, if that's what you mean.

Sort of. I actually want to camp for a few weeks beside a river. If the
weather gets too bad, we can retreat to an air-con'ed farm house. that
will be as "cat friendly" as it gets. both uncle and cousin would gladly
offer the lead poltice solution, or so they say, but I've noticed that
whenever we go spotlighting, then never shoot the ferals.

> Also, can you train kitty to walk in a harness/lead so she
> doesn't clear off while your on hols?

Well, the alternatives are;
1) pet boarding = expensive and not sure how she would take to
"abandonment" again (that was how she moved in).

2) build a cage myself = almost as expensive, plus has to be carted
there and back and she isn't used to cages and it seems cruel for a
number of weeks,

3) see if she can be staked in harness. Set up camp so she can do all
the usual things with her servants {:) and hopefully she will adapt to
the situation and be able to have a run during the day as usual. I doubt
if one house cat is going to be any great impact considering the number
of feral cats around the local farms. Worst case will be to visit a
local vet and get her tranked for a while.

> Or just simply occy strap her carry case in the BOB while
> your off travelling the countryside. :D There was a NZ moto rider who
> trained his cat to ride shotgun on the bars. But one day, a turd in a
> car (surprise) cut them off on a corner....

I like cats, dogs, etc, but I don't think I'd go that far mainly as it
would cramp my style (no national parks). To me, that is the sort of
thing you do if a cat selects you on tour.

Unfortunately this cat selected us <- if I can find that sign that says
"cat softies here", I'm gunna jack hammer it to oblivion.

> Anyway, the way is petrol going, I think the next visit to the vet is
> going to use that method of kitty transport.

No reason why it can not be done. I don't imagine it is going to be any
worse with some cats than vehicle travel. Our best was a ex-tom who had
to be retrieved **** first from a speaker hole in the front door panel.
Since then we've adopted the bannana box carrier.

Terry Collins said:
Shabby wrote:

> I think we need a newsgroup for insomniac cat loving bike riders......

Well, while we are on that subject,
Has anyone trained their cat to travel?
Other than in a cage to the vet I mean.

Looking at getting away soon and ***** accommodation is rather
expensive. It wasn't so much the board and food, but the shots and vet
certification to say she is exclusive enough to reside at this
establishment.

There may be some exceptions but have had some terrible experiences travelling with cat in car. They get wound up by car noises we cant hear and go berserk. Diff whine, tyre growl or exhaust grumbles to name a few. There is no point sedating the puss, that makes it worse as they feel threatened by the loss of control and everything gets compounded. Picture this: One terrified cat escapes from cage and is loose in 4 year old Mercedes, stop at lights in peak hour traffic, cat leaps up into rear window and has a HUGE **** on the rear shelf, much to the horror of driver behind.
Embarrased - no way, turned off next left and hid.

Dont know what ur vet charges but mine is $50 for annual shots and the certificate is thrown in. It is worth it beleive me. Speak to the vet about the cost if it is a problem and he might reduce cost.
Really, all cats should be vacinated as the diseases they get are deadly and highly contageous to other cats.

Best plan for the cats "mental health" (and yours) is to leave cat in house and have someone come and feed - clean tray - cuddle etc. Familiar surroundings are best.

Ask the vet for recommendations for Catteries, breeders or vet boarding.

Is this OT or wot

Cheers
Hugh

HughMann wrote:

Best plan for the cats "mental health" (and yours) is to leave cat in house and have someone come and feed - clean tray - cuddle etc. Familiar surroundings are best.

Or even better - get a dog. They live outside, are always happy, make you get off your @rse and walk them every day and they love getting in the car and going for a drive. Even if it is for a visit to the vet!

Our youngest (4 months) pup is going to get her final vaccination tonight and I am extremely worried about her cr@pping in the car as she's not much into hygiene a sh!ts where she pleases, unlike 8 month old Simon who has a small area of garden reserved for his poops and doesn't even poo when we walk him (anyone who has ever had to pick up a large, steaming dog turd in front of other people will definitely agree that a dog that doesn't poo on walks is a good thing).

Is this OT or wot

We all go overboard when it comes to our pets - it's human nature and I prefer to see people going OT with their pets than neglecting them like so many people do.

We top dressed our lawn over the weekend and now the entire patio is black... as are the dogs. It's going to be a nightmare for a few weeks. Or months. Please let us have some rain - wash this f*cking top dressing away!!

Lotte

HughMann wrote:

> Best plan for the cats "mental health" (and yours) is to leave cat in
> house and have someone come and feed - clean tray - cuddle etc.
> Familiar surroundings are best.

Well, that has been our past policy, but length of time and doubts about
the reliability of the past service are a problem. Whilst it isn't going
to starve over a longish weekend, a couple of weeks is a different matter.

> Is this OT or wot

Not really. This is really a subtle market research ploy to see how many
a.b'ers are cat/dog mad and judge if there is a market for pet trailers
for bicycles {:)

Taah.