Cyclist's International Cup & Sid Patterson Grand Prix - Sat 28th February - Vodaphone Arena

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Hippy, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    CYCLIST'S INTERNATIONAL CUP & SID PATTERSON GRAND PRIX Including the 'Men's Victoria Keirin
    Championship'

    7pm Saturday 28th February Vodafone Arena

    A double feature event reviving the Cyclist International Cup whilst also honouring the legend of
    cycling great Sid Patterson.

    The night's main events include: Men's Victoria Keirin Championship Match races Sprint races Motor
    pace events Scratch races Invitation events and more!

    International riders Erik Weispfennig and Cristian Lademann, who will be riding the Bendigo Madison
    Championship in March, will be making an appearance on the night. Weispfennig will feature in a
    Derny Race against Tim Decker.

    The night will also feature a Sprint Match race between two of Victorias and Australia's hottest
    young cyclists, Shane Perkins and Daniel Thorsen. Shane has recently been selected to represent
    Australia at the upcoming Moscow World Cup and Daniel represented Australia at the 2003 World Junior
    Track Championships in Moscow and returned with 2 medals.

    This is the 2nd last Cyclist's International event at Vodafone for the
    03/04 season, so come along and see some great cycling action.

    Melbourne is hosting the 2004 World Track Cycling Championships at Vodafone Arena in May, so for a
    taste of great cycling action before then, make sure you get to Vodafone Arena on February 28 for
    this great night of cycling.

    Tickets from Ticketek on 132 849 or at the door. For more information please contact Barry Langley
    on 03 9525 1318.

    hippy

    Tags:

  2. Hitchy

    Hitchy New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2004
    Messages:
    1,876
    G'day,

    & will we be seeing a recent track 'convert' by the name of 'Hippy'?

    cheers,

    Hitchy

  3. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Hitchy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > & will we be seeing a recent track 'convert' by the name of 'Hippy'?

    I will most likely be there... spectating/photographing.. I don't think they'd let a newbie like me
    on the track with guys/gals that can actually ride fast! :)

    I've been to the last two big track events at Vodaphone and they've both been great fun - I
    recommend everyone give it a look.

    hippy

  4. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    hey, hippy, have you got photos of the Austral posted somewhere? (ie: the ones you took with the Big Camera)

  5. Geoff

    Geoff Guest

    > "Hitchy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > & will we be seeing a recent track 'convert' by the name of 'Hippy'?
    >
    > I will most likely be there... spectating/photographing.. I don't think they'd let a newbie like
    > me on the track with guys/gals that can actually ride fast! :)
    >
    > I've been to the last two big track events at Vodaphone and they've both been great fun - I
    > recommend everyone give it a look.
    >
    > hippy

    Hippy,

    Agreed, track cycling events at Vodafone Arena are great fun to watch. I'll be there but as a
    competitor. I'll be the guy in the Richmond Cyclery colours riding the white/blue FORT bike in the D
    grade races. I can assure you that I am not that fast but hey, that's why handicaps and graded
    racing exist. It's so that everyone slow or fast has a reasonable chance to win.

    To give you an idea of how close you are to riding at one of these events I'll tell you my story. I
    started racing Crits in September 2002. I then took up track racing at about this time last year and
    had my first ride on Vodafone Arena in March 2003. It was the Mens Masters (Class 2/3 combined)
    Victorian 10Km Scratch Championships, my first ever proper scratch race on the track.

    Prior to that my only previous racing was one Wed night at Brunswick in the presence of some pretty
    elite company (ie Will and John Walker) which made me realise how fast I really wasn't.
    Unfortunately on that same night I crashed during an elimination race (my mistake and a big dose of
    experience was gained). The bike escaped with just a couple of scrapes on the bars. I ended up
    suffering from a broken right thumb which, for a few months, left me unable to ride my road bike
    and race crits (a bit of a problem with using the brakes). Luckily I could still ride the track
    bike in relative comfort so my summer season was not completely over (You don't need or have brakes
    on the track).

    Anyway getting back to Vodafone Arena. Although I was unable to hold on for the whole 10Kms I was
    pretty satisfied with my ride. Most of the other riders in the race I knew raced A and B Grade club
    crits and at that point in time I had only just started riding C grade crits after moving up from D
    grade so I knew I was probably a little out of my depth here. In the end I finished around 650m
    behind the winner and about 100m behind the guy in front of me. But best of all, I didn't finish
    last :) I think the winning time was just over 12min 30seconds. The initial speed at which the race
    started took me by compete surprise. The first few laps were timed at low to mid 17s. I just could
    not hold this pace and started dropping back into the 19s and low 20s.

    Now I'll tell you what the best bit of the day was. I arrived nice and early so that I could get
    some experience and gain some feel for the track. Prior to this day the steepest banking I had ever
    ridden was at Brunswick (Slightly steeper than Blackburn). The whole arena was deserted except for a
    couple of other people out in the middle. There was no sound as both the ventilation and sound
    system were switched off at this time. I rolled out onto the track to do a couple of laps. As I did
    I could hear this sound that I had never heard before. It was the sound of the timber creaking
    beneath my wheels which was echoing in the silence of the moment. The thought that went through my
    mind was something along the lines of "WOW". As I gained speed the sound of the creaking timber was
    replaced by the sound of the wind screaming past my ears. As I gained even more speed I realised
    that the bends in the track melted away giving the illusion that I was riding in a continuous
    straight line. This sensation is definitely something to be experienced.

    This year I started the track season with a winter of road training behind me but still not a lot of
    racing experience. I had always wanted to do a "Melbourne Cup on Wheels" but decided against this
    for this year due to lack of handicap racing experience. I decided that the Austral would be my
    first major handicap race on the track for the season. As preparation for this I did a couple of
    Saturday race meets at Blackburn. I then targeted the Bendigo and Shepparton Christmas carnivals
    (handicap races galore). From doing this I was able get an idea for how to tactically go about
    riding this type of race and got valuable experience. I also took part in the Vic Metro
    Championships (MMAS2/3/4 combined) in all four disciplines. I was a first timer in all but the
    scratch race so everything was new to me. To my surprise I ended up with a Bronze Medal in the 2000m
    Pursuit. I will now be giving the all of Vic State Titles a go and may even make the trip up to
    Sydney to the Australian Masters National Titles in April. (Do you think I'm hooked) I will also be
    riding in this weekends Sid Patterson Meet at Vodafone Arena

    So Hippy my advise to you is if you don't currently feel comfortable riding a club level handicap
    then you are probably not quite ready to attempt a major track event, such as the Austral etc, this
    year. I would recommend you start looking at what you want to achieve next season and then look at
    how you can get the experience required. At this time of year, as I discovered last year, with
    Championships happening there is not a lot of quality club racing around. The numbers turning up for
    club track meets are a fraction of what they are prior to the month of February. If you are really
    hungry to get a ride on Vodafone you probably have 2 opportunities. The first is the Vic Time Trial
    Champs (if you are an Elite the distance is 1000m). The second is the Vic Sprint Championships (200m
    qualifying round followed by match sprints if you qualify). Entries for these two close on Monday
    1st March. There is also the Vic Senior(Elite) Points Race Champs but at the level you are currently
    at you are going to be way out of your depth if you attempted this one. Time Trials and Sprint
    qualifying are individual events so you are only racing against the clock. Even if you don't set the
    world on fire with your times this year you can always look back and say to yourself that you
    actually rode in a State Title Event on the boards of Vodafone Arena.

    Geoff

  6. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > hey, hippy, have you got photos of the Austral posted somewhere? (ie:
    the ones you took with the Big Camera)

    I do now: http://www.thehippy.net/Cycling/2004Austral/

    I wasn't going to post these because I wasn't happy with them at all. I was using a much higher ISO
    than at the MCOW which made the images way too noisy after any cropping. Also, I shot jpeg and not
    RAW which meant any exposure correction lost quality. These images are uncorrected, hence some
    really underexposed ones. I could tweak them in Photoshop but they're not worth the effort IMHO.
    Next time I will try and get closer to the track, use lower ISO (maybe 400 or 800), use the flash
    and play with shutter speeds. Any other tips, most welcome :)

    hippy

  7. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Geoff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Agreed, track cycling events at Vodafone Arena are great fun to watch. I'll be there but as a
    > competitor. I'll be the guy in the Richmond
    Cyclery
    > colours riding the white/blue FORT bike in the D grade races.

    I'll try and keep an eye out for you. It's unlikely, but I'll try and get some shots of you in
    action. I'm not good enough to pick out riders early enough to snap 'em ;-)

    Will the D grade races be outlined in the program? I've never bought one before, that's all.

    > I started racing Crits in September 2002. I then took up track racing
    at
    > about this time last year and had my first ride on Vodafone Arena in
    March
    > 2003. It was the Mens Masters (Class 2/3 combined) Victorian 10Km
    Scratch
    > Championships, my first ever proper scratch race on the track.

    I've not raced on the track yet - only Blackburn training sessions so far. I've been on/off crit
    racing for a couple of years now. You are obviously pretty good/keen, going from starting out to
    Vodaphone in ~7 months.

    > Prior to that my only previous racing was one Wed night at Brunswick
    in the
    > presence of some pretty elite company (ie Will and John Walker) which
    made
    > me realise how fast I really wasn't. Unfortunately on that same night
    > crashed during an elimination race (my mistake and a big dose of
    experience
    > was gained). The bike escaped with just a couple of scrapes on the
    bars. I
    > ended up suffering from a broken right thumb which, for a few months,
    left

    What was the mistake? If you tell me now, maybe I can avoid copying you?
    :)

    > Anyway getting back to Vodafone Arena. Although I was unable to hold on for the whole 10Kms I
    > was pretty
    satisfied
    > with my ride. Most of the other riders in the race I knew raced A and
    > Grade club crits and at that point in time I had only just started
    riding C
    > grade crits after moving up from D grade so I knew I was probably a
    little
    > out of my depth here. In the end I finished around 650m behind the
    winner
    > and about 100m behind the guy in front of me. But best of all, I
    didn't
    > finish last :) I think the winning time was just over 12min
    30seconds. The
    > initial speed at which the race started took me by compete surprise.
    The
    > first few laps were timed at low to mid 17s. I just could not hold
    this
    > pace and started dropping back into the 19s and low 20s.

    12:30 for 10k... damn, I've got some work to do! How long is the track at Vodaphone? I didn't
    realise there was racing at Vodaphone for anyone under A grade level except for the junior races
    which were invitational. Does that mean anyone could do some club races and then enter themselves
    in races at Vodaphone? I don't plan to do this, just curious. Track basically stops over winter
    right? Other than sneaking down there on dry days, does anyone do any track work over winter that
    doesn't involve indoor training? I don't want to lose all my recently acquired "skills"...

    > I arrived nice and early so that I could get some experience and gain
    some
    > feel for the track. Prior to this day the steepest banking I had ever ridden was at Brunswick
    > (Slightly steeper than Blackburn).

    I have to get some experience on other tracks too...

    > As preparation for this I did a couple of Saturday race meets at Blackburn.

    What are those Sat races like? I'm thinking about going this Sat.. What sort of races do they
    usually run? Many people?

    > So Hippy my advise to you is if you don't currently feel comfortable
    riding
    > a club level handicap then you are probably not quite ready to attempt
    > major track event, such as the Austral etc, this year.

    No, like I said above, I've never raced and never actually considered that I might be able to race
    at Voda. I guess it will depend on how I go in club races as to whether I even continue track
    racing. The training is awesome fun though, so unless I make a regular habit of crashing or losing,
    I don't see why I wouldn't continue on the track.

    > I would recommend you start looking at what you want to achieve next season and then
    look at
    > how you can get the experience required. At this time of year, as I discovered last year, with
    > Championships happening there is not a lot
    of
    > quality club racing around. The numbers turning up for club track
    meets are
    > a fraction of what they are prior to the month of February.

    Goal setting? What's that? ;-) All I want to do is give myself an oppurtunity to win something else
    - track is much more suited to my physiology (fat bugger, likes sprinting). I've really on just
    touched the surface of track racing and didn't even know what a wheelrace was 3 weeks ago! :)

    > The first is the Vic Time Trial Champs (if you are an Elite the
    distance is
    > 1000m).

    I'm certainly no "elite" but my licence says "Elite"...

    > The second is the Vic Sprint Championships (200m qualifying round followed by match sprints if you
    > qualify). Entries for these two
    close on
    > Monday 1st March.

    What time is needed to qualify?

    > There is also the Vic Senior(Elite) Points Race Champs but at the level you are currently at you
    > are going to be way out of your
    depth
    > if you attempted this one. Time Trials and Sprint qualifying are
    individual
    > events so you are only racing against the clock. Even if you don't
    set the
    > world on fire with your times this year you can always look back and
    say to
    > yourself that you actually rode in a State Title Event on the boards
    of
    > Vodafone Arena.

    I think I'll settle for some more club-level experience first :)

    Thanks VERY much for your story. You seem to have taken to track like a duck to a couple of hydrogen
    molecules and an oxygen molecule. It'd be nice to think I could replicate your effort, but I'm a
    slow learner (at least when we're talking bike racing). I might try and put in more of a showing
    this year during the road season and do the ergo sessions that Blackburn runs (if they let me).
    Meantime, I'll race crits and fit in any further track stuff I can find.

    cheers! hippy

  8. Andrew Swan

    Andrew Swan Guest

    Geoff wrote:
    > Hippy,
    >
    > To give you an idea of how close you are to riding at one of these events I'll tell you my story.
    <cool story snipped>

    > Geoff

    Fascinating reading - thanks for sharing.

    &roo

    (P.S. maybe you could write a senryu about the amazing sensations when alone on the track!)

  9. Geoff

    Geoff Guest

    news:Qpf%[email protected]...
    > "Geoff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Agreed, track cycling events at Vodafone Arena are great fun to watch. I'll be there but as a
    > > competitor. I'll be the guy in the Richmond
    > Cyclery
    > > colours riding the white/blue FORT bike in the D grade races.
    >
    > I'll try and keep an eye out for you. It's unlikely, but I'll try and get some shots of you
    > in action.

    Don't forget to get some snaps of your fellow Blackburn riders as well. There's quite a few of them
    riding. (btw I'm a St Kilda CC member)

    I'm not good enough to pick out riders
    > early enough to snap 'em ;-)

    Agreed. It can be hard to take pic of object moving at speeds >45km/h

    The lighting in VA can also make pics difficult to snap.

    > Will the D grade races be outlined in the program? I've never bought one before, that's all.

    The races listed in the program will most likely not actually state the grades but the entry lists
    on the Cyclesport Victoria website will. Usually for a Vodaphone arena event there are four grades
    ie Elite, B, C and D. For the rider a program is a neccessity for planning your warmups, and knowing
    how much time you have to do things like change gears and rest. As a spectator you can probably get
    away without one except in the case of a madision where there is a page to record the points (in a
    running total format) won by each team. Knowing this info can make the race much easier to watch.
    Personally when I'm spectating I like to know who is racing so I alway get a program.

    > > I started racing Crits in September 2002. I then took up track racing
    > at
    > > about this time last year and had my first ride on Vodafone Arena in
    > March
    > > 2003. It was the Mens Masters (Class 2/3 combined) Victorian 10Km
    > Scratch
    > > Championships, my first ever proper scratch race on the track.
    >
    > I've not raced on the track yet - only Blackburn training sessions so far. I've been on/off crit
    > racing for a couple of years now. You are obviously pretty good/keen, going from starting out to
    > Vodaphone in ~7 months.
    >
    > > Prior to that my only previous racing was one Wed night at Brunswick
    > in the
    > > presence of some pretty elite company (ie Will and John Walker) which
    > made
    > > me realise how fast I really wasn't. Unfortunately on that same night
    > > crashed during an elimination race (my mistake and a big dose of
    > experience
    > > was gained). The bike escaped with just a couple of scrapes on the
    > bars. I
    > > ended up suffering from a broken right thumb which, for a few months,
    > left
    >
    > What was the mistake? If you tell me now, maybe I can avoid copying you?
    > :)

    basically I was just of the the back of the bunch with another guy racing to stay in. I was on the
    low side he was on the high side. Neither of us was giving in. After crossing the line and me being
    eliminated we both came up on the back of the much slower bunch very quickly (the leaders knew they
    were safe so they were not going as fast) . The other guy had the space to go around the top of the
    bunch. I had nowhere to go but down the track and aim under the bunch and try to loose some speed at
    the same time. Things got a bit tight, and if you know the Brunswick track it is a bit rough just
    below the measuring line in the first turn, I lost the front wheel and the rest is history.

    > > Anyway getting back to Vodafone Arena. Although I was unable to hold on for the whole 10Kms I
    > > was pretty
    > satisfied
    > > with my ride. Most of the other riders in the race I knew raced A and
    > > Grade club crits and at that point in time I had only just started
    > riding C
    > > grade crits after moving up from D grade so I knew I was probably a
    > little
    > > out of my depth here. In the end I finished around 650m behind the
    > winner
    > > and about 100m behind the guy in front of me. But best of all, I
    > didn't
    > > finish last :) I think the winning time was just over 12min
    > 30seconds. The
    > > initial speed at which the race started took me by compete surprise.
    > The
    > > first few laps were timed at low to mid 17s. I just could not hold
    > this
    > > pace and started dropping back into the 19s and low 20s.
    >
    > 12:30 for 10k... damn, I've got some work to do! How long is the track at Vodaphone?

    250m on the measuring line. (the black line near the bottom of the track)

    > I didn't realise there was racing at Vodaphone for anyone under A grade level except for the
    > junior races which were invitational. Does that mean anyone could do some club races and then
    > enter themselves in races at Vodaphone?

    Technically you could enter without doing any club level racing but I would not advise you do this.
    Remember there will be other riders on the track with you in a handicap that may do this for a
    living, are national level riders etc. You don't want to be responsible for injuring one of these
    people. Also if it is found that you caused an accident as a result of dangerous riding you can be
    fined and possibly given a suspension.

    > I don't plan to do this, just curious. Track basically stops over winter right?

    Yes but this may change when, the Northcote Velodrome is complete.

    Other than sneaking down there on dry days, does
    > anyone do any track work over winter that doesn't involve indoor training? I don't want to lose
    > all my recently acquired "skills"...

    Winter for me is a combination of Ergo, Lots of road Kms and Road Races and the occasional crit.

    > > I arrived nice and early so that I could get some experience and gain
    > some
    > > feel for the track. Prior to this day the steepest banking I had ever ridden was at Brunswick
    > > (Slightly steeper than Blackburn).
    >
    > I have to get some experience on other tracks too...
    >
    > > As preparation for this I did a couple of Saturday race meets at Blackburn.
    >
    > What are those Sat races like?

    Good hard racing. When I have raced there have been at least 3 grades with around 10 riders per
    grade. If there are 4 grades I will race C, if three I will race B.

    You might be better to ask someone like Rowan G or maybe John N (who seems to be the one who runs
    the racing on Saturdays).

    I'm thinking about going this Sat..

    I don't think you will find much of a turnout this sat as many of the usual riders are entered to do
    the SPGrPrix or are riding the Pursuit Champs on Sunday. However that said you may still get enough
    people for some racing. It's still worth rocking up to see who else is there.

    > What sort of races do they usually run?

    racing from my experience has generally been a combination of some or all of the following. Graded
    Scratch, Handicap, Elimination (miss and out) Match Sprints and Sprint Derbys.

    > Many people?

    Enough to make it worthwhile but not too many.

    > > So Hippy my advise to you is if you don't currently feel comfortable
    > riding
    > > a club level handicap then you are probably not quite ready to attempt
    > > major track event, such as the Austral etc, this year.
    >
    > No, like I said above, I've never raced and never actually considered that I might be able to race
    > at Voda. I guess it will depend on how I go in club races as to whether I even continue track
    > racing. The training is awesome fun though, so unless I make a regular habit of crashing or
    > losing, I don't see why I wouldn't continue on the track.

    Are you saying that you would give it up just because you didn't win!!! I don't really care if I win
    or loose. I just do the best I can do in each race. If that means I cross the line first then thats
    a bonus. If I finish further back then I look at what went wrong both tactically and physically and
    then take the neccessary steps to avoid it happening again. You learn more about racing in the races
    you didn't win.

    Since the odds of not being the winner in a race in which you start are pretty high you might as
    well get used to not winning. If you find you are always winning you are probably racing in the
    wrong grade. Not winning is not a reason to give up any sport.

    > > I would recommend you start looking at what you want to achieve next season and then
    > look at
    > > how you can get the experience required. At this time of year, as I discovered last year, with
    > > Championships happening there is not a lot
    > of
    > > quality club racing around. The numbers turning up for club track
    > meets are
    > > a fraction of what they are prior to the month of February.
    >
    > Goal setting? What's that? ;-) All I want to do is give myself an oppurtunity to win something
    > else - track is much more suited to my physiology (fat bugger, likes sprinting). I've really on
    > just touched the surface of track racing and didn't even know what a wheelrace was 3 weeks ago! :)
    >
    > > The first is the Vic Time Trial Champs (if you are an Elite the
    > distance is
    > > 1000m).
    >
    > I'm certainly no "elite" but my licence says "Elite"...
    >
    > > The second is the Vic Sprint Championships (200m qualifying round followed by match sprints if
    > > you qualify). Entries for these two
    > close on
    > > Monday 1st March.
    >
    > What time is needed to qualify?

    I think it is the 8 or 16 fastest times that qualify. (i think the number is dependant on the number
    of entries or the rules of the event)

    My guess is the faster times will be in the high 10s or the 11s.

    > > There is also the Vic Senior(Elite) Points Race Champs but at the level you are currently at you
    > > are going to be way out of your
    > depth
    > > if you attempted this one. Time Trials and Sprint qualifying are
    > individual
    > > events so you are only racing against the clock. Even if you don't
    > set the
    > > world on fire with your times this year you can always look back and
    > say to
    > > yourself that you actually rode in a State Title Event on the boards
    > of
    > > Vodafone Arena.
    >
    > I think I'll settle for some more club-level experience first :)
    >
    > Thanks VERY much for your story. You seem to have taken to track like a duck to a couple of
    > hydrogen molecules and an oxygen molecule.

    I don't believe I was thinking the likes of the above "duck and water scenario" earlier tonight as I
    was busy depositing a portion of my lunch onto the ground just after completing a practice
    individual pursuit during training. But it was nice to know that I was not suffering on my own.
    There were 2 other guys that were sharing the same "why are we doing this to ourselves" moment. But
    for some reason we still keep on coming back for more pain and suffering.

    Hip, I think I have covered most of your questions you have asked here but I appologise if I have
    missed a couple.

    Geoff

  10. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Andrew Swan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:vQh%b.215> (P.S. maybe
    you could write a senryu about the amazing sensations when
    > alone on the track!)

    I know you wanted Geoff's but...

    Very fast, no brakes Total rush, corner a blur Spin like mad to win

    hippy

  11. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Geoff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Don't forget to get some snaps of your fellow Blackburn riders as well. There's quite a few of
    > them riding. (btw I'm a St Kilda CC member)

    Don't worry about that... they're the only riders I recognise! :)

    > Agreed. It can be hard to take pic of object moving at speeds >45km/h

    Tell Me About It! (TMAI)

    > The lighting in VA can also make pics difficult to snap.

    TMAI! ;-)

    > The races listed in the program will most likely not actually state the grades but the entry lists
    > on the Cyclesport Victoria website will.
    Usually
    > for a Vodaphone arena event there are four grades ie Elite, B, C and D.

    Cheers, I found this:
    http://www.vic.cycling.org.au/Race%20Entries/Track%200304/sid_patterson_gran _prix.htm

    > basically I was just of the the back of the bunch with another guy racing
    > stay in. I was on the low side he was on the high side. Neither of us
    was
    > giving in. After crossing the line and me being eliminated we both came
    up
    > on the back of the much slower bunch very quickly (the leaders knew they were safe so they were
    > not going as fast) . The other guy had the space
    > go around the top of the bunch. I had nowhere to go but down the track
    and
    > aim under the bunch and try to loose some speed at the same time. Things
    got
    > a bit tight, and if you know the Brunswick track it is a bit rough just below the measuring line
    > in the first turn, I lost the front wheel and the rest is history.

    Tough break - don't slow down quick enough and you crash, slow down too fast and someone runs up
    your backside and you both crash..

    > Technically you could enter without doing any club level racing but I
    would
    > not advise you do this. Remember there will be other riders on the track with you in a handicap
    > that may do this for a living, are national level riders etc. You don't want to be responsible for
    > injuring one of these people. Also if it is found that you caused an accident as a result of
    > dangerous riding you can be fined and possibly given a suspension.

    I'm a cautious guy, I'm still tossing up whether or not to try out Sat's race!

    > Yes but this may change when, the Northcote Velodrome is complete.

    I've heard about this. Some of the Blackburn guys make it sound like the best thing since a
    dissection of baked wheat... Is there some sort of club roster being planned for it?

    > I'm thinking about going this Sat..
    >
    > I don't think you will find much of a turnout this sat as many of the
    usual
    > riders are entered to do the SPGrPrix or are riding the Pursuit Champs on Sunday. However that
    > said you may still get enough people for some
    racing.
    > It's still worth rocking up to see who else is there.

    We shall see...

    > > No, like I said above, I've never raced and never actually considered that I might be able to
    > > race at Voda. I guess it will depend on how I go in club races as to whether I even continue
    > > track racing. The training is awesome fun though, so unless I make a regular habit of
    crashing or
    > > losing, I don't see why I wouldn't continue on the track.
    >
    > Are you saying that you would give it up just because you didn't win!!!

    Okay, that's probably not quite what I meant.. I certainly don't win every crit I enter and I'm
    still coming back for more of them. I guess what I mean
    is: I haven't raced track yet, only done the training. If I find that I hate the racing (for
    whatever reason) then I wont continue it. If I like it, then I will continue it. At the moment
    though, I don't know which way I will go..

    > I don't really care if I win or loose. I just do the best I can do in
    each
    > race. If that means I cross the line first then thats a bonus. If I
    finish
    > further back then I look at what went wrong both tactically and physically and then take the
    > neccessary steps to avoid it happening again. You learn more about racing in the races you
    > didn't win.

    I guess I'm the same. I'm not heartbroken if I lose, otherwise I would've chucked racing in ages
    ago, but at the same time - I AM there to win and I'm happier if I can win. When I don't win, I try
    to work out what "went wrong" and I usually have a pretty good idea. Next week I will not allow the
    same "mistake" to happen. Like last Sun at Glenvale, the pace was too high for me to setup for the
    sprint. Next race when I'm struggling like I was, I will try to move up to a good launching pad
    _earlier_.

    > Since the odds of not being the winner in a race in which you start are pretty high you might as
    > well get used to not winning. If you find you
    are
    > always winning you are probably racing in the wrong grade. Not winning is not a reason to give up
    > any sport.

    Yes, I mislead you. I do not quite just because I lose and I certainly do not win every race I
    enter. In fact, I lose MANY more races than I've ever won. That, in some ways, makes winner all the
    more special. If winning was easy, we wouldn't try so hard.

    > > Thanks VERY much for your story. You seem to have taken to track like a duck to a couple of
    > > hydrogen molecules and an oxygen molecule.
    >
    > I don't believe I was thinking the likes of the above "duck and water scenario" earlier tonight as
    > I was busy depositing a portion of my lunch onto the ground just after completing a practice
    > individual pursuit during training. But it was nice to know that I was not suffering on my own.
    > There were 2 other guys that were sharing the same "why are we doing this
    > ourselves" moment. But for some reason we still keep on coming back for more pain and suffering.

    hehe I just mentioned depositing lunches in places other than where they were intended to stay in my
    METEC RR. It is strange when you think about
    it. Racers put themselves through so much pain and suffering and for what? Most club level racers
    could never hope to even pay for their bikes with their winnings and most know they will never
    make it to the TdF, etc, so why do we do it? ( I'll leave that one open for discussion :) )

    > Hip, I think I have covered most of your questions you have asked here but
    > appologise if I have missed a couple.

    Thanks very much Geoff!

    hippy

    BTW: There is a track racing forum on www.cyclingforums.com:
    http://www.cyclingforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=29

  12. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Geoff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Agreed, track cycling events at Vodafone Arena are great fun to watch. I'll be there but as a
    > competitor. I'll be the guy in the Richmond
    Cyclery
    > colours riding the white/blue FORT bike in the D grade races. I can
    assure
    > you that I am not that fast but hey, that's why handicaps and graded
    racing
    > exist. It's so that everyone slow or fast has a reasonable chance to win.

    I was skint so I couldn't afford the program to see when you were on. I spotted one Richmond
    jersey, but didn't think it was you - something about the breasts gave it away. I finally saw
    another Richmond rider and I was pretty sure he fitted your male/masters description. Got a couple
    of close ups and saw "ORT" on the frame and started singing to myself "it had to be you". Yellow
    helmet, yeah?

    Anyway, if you want some (rather dodgy) digital images of yourself in action at Vodaphone - email me
    off the ng and I'll send large versions to you. Otherwise, I'll be putting ALL of them up as small
    versions sooner or later anyway.

    Strange geometry on that bike too.. and WHAT the hell size gear are you pushing?!

    hippy

  13. Geoff

    Geoff Guest

    > "Geoff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > Agreed, track cycling events at Vodafone Arena are great fun to watch. I'll
    > > be there but as a competitor. I'll be the guy in the Richmond
    > Cyclery
    > > colours riding the white/blue FORT bike in the D grade races. I can
    > assure
    > > you that I am not that fast but hey, that's why handicaps and graded
    > racing
    > > exist. It's so that everyone slow or fast has a reasonable chance to
    win.

    > I was skint so I couldn't afford the program to see when you were on. I
    > spotted one Richmond jersey, but didn't think it was you - something about the
    > breasts gave it away. I finally saw another Richmond rider and I was pretty
    > sure he fitted your male/masters description. Got a couple of close ups and
    > saw "ORT" on the frame and started singing to myself "it had to be you".
    > Yellow helmet, yeah?

    Yeah that was me There where only 2 events for D grade that night. The qual for
    the SPGP which was a 15 Lap scratch - I finished around 8th place. And an
    elimination (miss and out) race. You don't tend to get a lot of racing time at
    one of these events but you do get a couple of hours prior to the start time to
    ride warmup laps.

    > Anyway, if you want some (rather dodgy) digital images of yourself in action at
    > Vodaphone - email me off the ng and I'll send large versions to you. Otherwise,
    > I'll be putting ALL of them up as small versions sooner or later anyway.

    Thanks, I'll email you soon re getting full size copies of your pics.

    > Strange geometry on that bike too..

    The sloping top tube with the down tube meeting the unusually short steerer tube
    is a little odd to look at. It also means that when using drop bars I need to put
    5cm of spacers under the stem. The big plus to this arrangement is that for
    pursuits I can move the spacers above the stem of my pursuit bars to get a
    position that would otherwise only be possible with a custom stem or something
    along the lines of a LOOK Ergostem.

    The sloping tt is no longer offered by FORT on the standard 2004 Alu track
    frames, it's now only features on the 2004 Time Trial/Pursuit frame (which like
    last year's model also has an aero seat tube). You may have seen the German
    rider, Christian Ladermann, riding his 2004 FORT which had the non-sloping top
    tube at the SPGrand Prix meet.

    > and WHAT the hell size gear are you pushing?!

    For both of the races that night I used a 90" gear (50x15). This was also the
    same gear I used at the State Pursuit Titles on Sunday (the next day) at
    Vodafone Arena.

    Geoff