Newbie help here please :)

obikanobis

Jun 18, 2010
Well I am just starting to get into the road cycling , and I am looking to get a pretty decent bike and can really use some direction in my decision and I figured I would come to the pro's
smile.gif
.. SO im looking for a nice road bike my max spending limit is 700 -1000$ I have found some pretty good deals online and I know one important thing is bike size I am 6ft 228lbs I have been looking at a few bikes from bikes-direct in the 700 dollar range but I just don't know if this is a good value I have been looking at the following bikes .. Also I have never built a bike b4 I am a hardcore do it yourself er but don't really know whats involved and if it is a really big undertaking ?

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...d_record_x.htm

it may be a horrible bike I really don't know much so dont make fun lol im a newbie but really am looking to do some hardcore runs 55- 110 miles I am in really really good shape just need to build up my endurance ... so please guys if you can throw me a bone here
smile.gif

Also I have went to a LBS was checking out the Giant Defy bikes I did get sized for the bike seems that I am a large , would someone also be able to point me to a good place to possibly buy a good used road bike?

thanks a lot in advance
Obi
smile.gif

As you said, this is your first bike, in that vein there is nothing wrong with the bike your looking at as a great starter bike. The reason you don't spend a lot of money on your first bike is because most people start out with good intentions on riding A LOT, but then fail to do so after a few months, then the bike becomes garage art, and there's nothing worse then a $3,500+ dust collector.

Personally I think you should go to an LBS and try to find a bike, or at least make sure the bike you order by mail will fit by trying various sizes at an LBS.

Finding good used bikes takes time to search Craigs list in your area, you could go Ebay but those most of time sell for more then their worth, sometimes LBS's have a selection of used bikes too but those will cost more due to the profit their trying make. Also resale stores like GoodWill etc will rarely get a good bike but where I live that's been a big zero. If you decide to go used and find one you can post here again in a new post and have us tell you whats up.

Anyone who makes fun of you for being a beginner is just a pure moron, we were ALL beginners at one time or another, but I don't think your going to find anyone here that will do that.