Newbie overtraining?

Victor

Guest
I've been cycling in Central Park here in New York for about 18 months now wondering if I am
overtraining.

My stats:

Age 53 Ht 5' 11" Weight 180 lbs

Total Weeks 18 26 Miles/Wk Average Total Time about 32 Hours Average distance 19.5 Miles Average
Speed 17.7

Off season weather was brutal in January so I missed a few weeks. Now that Spring is here I want to
increase my training as well as loose some weight. I was weight training more during the winter
months. I try to cycle every other day.

Any comments or suggestions?

victor wrote:

> I've been cycling in Central Park here in New York for about 18 months now wondering if I am
> overtraining.
>
> My stats:
>
> Age 53 Ht 5' 11" Weight 180 lbs
>
> Total Weeks 18 26 Miles/Wk Average Total Time about 32 Hours Average distance 19.5 Miles Average
> Speed 17.7
>
> Off season weather was brutal in January so I missed a few weeks. Now that Spring is here I want
> to increase my training as well as loose some weight. I was weight training more during the winter
> months. I try to cycle every other day.
>
> Any comments or suggestions?

What are you training for?

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
Brooklyn, NY

"victor" <vcarnuccio @mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've been cycling in Central Park here in New York for about 18 months now wondering if I am
> overtraining.
>
> My stats:
>
> Age 53 Ht 5' 11" Weight 180 lbs
>
> Total Weeks 18 26 Miles/Wk Average Total Time about 32 Hours Average distance 19.5 Miles Average
> Speed 17.7
>
> Off season weather was brutal in January so I missed a few weeks. Now that Spring is here I want
> to increase my training as well as loose some weight. I was weight training more during the winter
> months. I try to cycle every other day.
>
> Any comments or suggestions?

I'd go crazy if I had to train in a big city like that. I'm a farmer! I did a 58 mile ride today and
saw maybe 20 cars (and none with drivers talking on cell phones!) Sweet!

Anyway ... to your questions. As another poster asked, what are you training for? But that aside, I
can't see any way whatsoever you could be overtrained at only 26 miles per week. I'm 48 and I'm
doing ten times that much ... literally. And I know plenty of folks who are doing more than me. If
you're feeling burned out, it's more likely from other aspects of your life. I can't see how it
could possibly be from too many miles on the bike.

Bob C.

"psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "victor" <vcarnuccio @mindspring.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I've been cycling in Central Park here in New York for about 18 months
now
> > wondering if I am overtraining.
> >
> > My stats:
> >
> > Age 53 Ht 5' 11" Weight 180 lbs
> >
> > Total Weeks 18 26 Miles/Wk Average Total Time about 32 Hours Average distance 19.5 Miles Average
> > Speed 17.7
> >
> > Off season weather was brutal in January so I missed a few weeks. Now that Spring is here I want
> > to increase my training as well as loose some weight. I was weight training more during the
> > winter months. I try to cycle every other day.
> >
> > Any comments or suggestions?
> >

> I'd go crazy if I had to train in a big city like that. I'm a farmer! I did a 58 mile ride today
> and saw maybe 20 cars (and none with drivers talking on cell phones!) Sweet!
>
> Anyway ... to your questions. As another poster asked, what are you training for? But that aside,
> I can't see any way whatsoever you could be overtrained at only 26 miles per week. I'm 48 and I'm
> doing ten times
that
> much ... literally. And I know plenty of folks who are doing more than
me.
> If you're feeling burned out, it's more likely from other aspects of your life. I can't see how it
> could possibly be from too many miles on the
bike.

> Bob C.

First of all, Newbies can't overtrain. When they reach that point they aren't Newbies.

Having lived in Manhattan for 15 years, I can tell you that CP is a great place to ride, if you
enjoy getting up and out very early. There's something about NYC just before dawn that is almost
magical. And there were some great places to stop for a cuppa post-ride. But, I would much rather be
riding in a more rural area. FWIW, western MA/northern CT is Nirvana---one of them anyway.

"B. Lafferty" wrote:

> "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "victor" <vcarnuccio @mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > I've been cycling in Central Park here in New York for about 18 months
> now
> > > wondering if I am overtraining.
> > >
> > > My stats:
> > >
> > > Age 53 Ht 5' 11" Weight 180 lbs
> > >
> > > Total Weeks 18 26 Miles/Wk Average Total Time about 32 Hours Average distance 19.5 Miles
> > > Average Speed 17.7
> > >
> > > Off season weather was brutal in January so I missed a few weeks. Now that Spring is here I
> > > want to increase my training as well as loose some weight. I was weight training more during
> > > the winter months. I try to cycle every other day.
> > >
> > > Any comments or suggestions?
> > >

> > I'd go crazy if I had to train in a big city like that. I'm a farmer! I did a 58 mile ride today
> > and saw maybe 20 cars (and none with drivers talking on cell phones!) Sweet!
> >
> > Anyway ... to your questions. As another poster asked, what are you training for? But that
> > aside, I can't see any way whatsoever you could be overtrained at only 26 miles per week. I'm 48
> > and I'm doing ten times
> that
> > much ... literally. And I know plenty of folks who are doing more than
> me.
> > If you're feeling burned out, it's more likely from other aspects of your life. I can't see how
> > it could possibly be from too many miles on the
> bike.
> >
> > Bob C.
>
> First of all, Newbies can't overtrain. When they reach that point they aren't Newbies.
>
> Having lived in Manhattan for 15 years, I can tell you that CP is a great place to ride, if you
> enjoy getting up and out very early. There's something about NYC just before dawn that is almost
> magical. And there were some great places to stop for a cuppa post-ride. But, I would much rather
> be riding in a more rural area. FWIW, western MA/northern CT is Nirvana---one of them anyway.

Agree strongly. I ride in Prospect Park, and except in the evening the crowds aren't so
overwhelming as Central. And being a circuit, you almost always have training partners and get
to know the regulars. I love the Berkshires. I'd relocate if I had the guts and the bucks.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
Brooklyn, NY

"Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "B. Lafferty" wrote:
>
> > "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > "victor" <vcarnuccio @mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> > now

> > > I'd go crazy if I had to train in a big city like that. I'm a farmer!
> > > did a 58 mile ride today and saw maybe 20 cars (and none with drivers talking on cell phones!)
> > > Sweet!
> > >
> > > Anyway ... to your questions. As another poster asked, what are you training for? But that
> > > aside, I can't see any way whatsoever you
could be
> > > overtrained at only 26 miles per week. I'm 48 and I'm doing ten times
> > that
> > > much ... literally. And I know plenty of folks who are doing more
than
> > me.
> > > If you're feeling burned out, it's more likely from other aspects of
your
> > > life. I can't see how it could possibly be from too many miles on the
> > bike.
> > >
> > > Bob C.
> >
> > First of all, Newbies can't overtrain. When they reach that point they aren't Newbies.
> >
> > Having lived in Manhattan for 15 years, I can tell you that CP is a
great
> > place to ride, if you enjoy getting up and out very early. There's something about NYC just
> > before dawn that is almost magical. And there
were
> > some great places to stop for a cuppa post-ride. But, I would much
rather
> > be riding in a more rural area. FWIW, western MA/northern CT is Nirvana---one of them anyway.
>
> Agree strongly. I ride in Prospect Park, and except in the evening
the
> crowds aren't so overwhelming as Central. And being a circuit, you almost always have training
> partners and get to know the regulars. I love the Berkshires. I'd relocate if I had the guts and
> the bucks.
>
> Steve
>

> --
> Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS Brooklyn, NY 718-258-5001 http://www.dentaltwins.com

And I just finished dropping $2500 into my mouth. I could've be you.

I liked PP very much, although it was too much trouble to get to for me compared to CP. I was
living in Stuytown. Plus, I was told that there were going to be visa requirements imposed on
cyclists from NYC. ;-)

B. Lafferty wrote:

> And I just finished dropping $2500 into my mouth. I could've be you.

Eddy B. always said to have your teeth checked before the season.

> I liked PP very much, although it was too much trouble to get to for me compared to CP. I was
> living in Stuytown. Plus, I was told that there were going to be visa requirements imposed on
> cyclists from NYC. ;-)

Nah, just bring bagels from Ess-A-Bagel.

Steve

26 miles a week ? Gee thats a warm up for a race, I mean 25 miles before the race. I`m 58 rode 36
miles saturday nite , was getting cold so cut it short.Sunday morning only did 46 because i wanted
to take a car apart. Might do a 187 mile or so round trip ride this week. My advise ,get out of
central park . Go ride some real miles on a nice country road. The Bear

@ @

~~~

You can say the same about CP, and the longer loop makes it a little less boring. i always hated
racing in PP (too short of a course, and too repetitive - flat, false flat, turn, slight
downhill, flat, false flat...). There's always 9W when you want a change as well. Guess it
depends on where you live.

26 miles a week and over trained? LMAO.

> > Having lived in Manhattan for 15 years, I can tell you that CP is a great place to ride, if you
> > enjoy getting up and out very early. There's something about NYC just before dawn that is almost
> > magical. And there were some great places to stop for a cuppa post-ride. But, I would much
> > rather be riding in a more rural area. FWIW, western MA/northern CT is Nirvana---one of them
> > anyway.

Agree strongly. I ride in Prospect Park, and except in the evening the
> crowds aren't so overwhelming as Central. And being a circuit, you almost always have training
> partners and get to know the regulars. I love the Berkshires. I'd relocate if I had the guts and
> the bucks.
>
> Steve

"Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> B. Lafferty wrote:
> >

> > And I just finished dropping $2500 into my mouth. I could've be you.
>
> Eddy B. always said to have your teeth checked before the season.
>

> > I liked PP very much, although it was too much trouble to get to for me compared to CP. I was
> > living in Stuytown. Plus, I was told that there
were
> > going to be visa requirements imposed on cyclists from NYC. ;-)
>
> Nah, just bring bagels from Ess-A-Bagel.
>
> Steve

Oh, that is a wonderful place. Now you've made me homesick!

victor wrote:
> I've been cycling in Central Park here in New York for about 18 months now wondering if I am
> overtraining.
>
> My stats:
>
> Age 53 Ht 5' 11" Weight 180 lbs
>
> Total Weeks 18 26 Miles/Wk Average Total Time about 32 Hours Average distance 19.5 Miles Average
> Speed 17.7
>
> Off season weather was brutal in January so I missed a few weeks. Now that Spring is here I want
> to increase my training as well as loose some weight. I was weight training more during the winter
> months. I try to cycle every other day.
>
> Any comments or suggestions?
You can't overtrain with just 26 miles/week. Not even Swedish or Norwegian miles.

Originally posted by Victor
I've been cycling in Central Park here in New York for about 18 months now wondering if I am
overtraining.

My stats:

Age 53 Ht 5' 11" Weight 180 lbs

Total Weeks 18 26 Miles/Wk Average Total Time about 32 Hours Average distance 19.5 Miles Average
Speed 17.7

Off season weather was brutal in January so I missed a few weeks. Now that Spring is here I want to
increase my training as well as loose some weight. I was weight training more during the winter
months. I try to cycle every other day.

Any comments or suggestions?

No, you're not overtrained, you're way undertrained ie. you're out of shape. Gaining fitness sometimes hurts, sometimes it makes you tired. You should at least shoot for doing aerobic exercise three times per week. You say you cycle every other day, but if your average distance is 19.5 miles and you average 26 miles per week, I can't see how you're riding every other day.
I would start out riding one hour every other day and do a 2-3 hour ride on the weekends. The longer rides are where you will get the most benefit and weight loss.

Remember, it takes a 3500 calorie defecit to burn off one pound. That is about 6-7 hours of riding just for that one tiny pound, and that is if you don't reward yourself for all your hard work with a dozen krispy kremes. Eat smart, ride lots and you'll get fit and lose weight.

Good luck.

I'm training for personal best and to keep fit. I was thinking about joining a bike club or maybe
competing this summer.

Somene suggested the Cyckust's Training Bible by Joe Friel. He has some cool software as well that I
might try out. .

I wanted to hear that... It gives me an excuse to carve more time out of the day for cycling. I'm
not tired at all after an 18 mile ride. Twice around CP makes it about 26 total from where I live
downtown. The numbers I gave are averages for the whole 18 weeks. Some weeks I did the stationary
bike at the jim due to the cold weather. Boring but better than nothing. Mornings are weight
training. On days I do heavy squatting the afternoon cycling is a shorter ride less intense. On
upper body days I can bike longer distances. The two or three hour ride on weekends sounds like it
would work as soon as the sun starts rising earlier to avoid the crowds.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Early morning at dawn it the only way... Later in the day CP is full of pedestrians, joggers, roller
bladers, to dodge slowing my times a lot. The climbs and downhills are a challenge. I get my max
speed up to about 30MPH at times.

I've been a recreational cyclist for years. I have biked the streets of New York for about 30
years. I bought a road bike last summer and started the Central Park ride up the Hudson River Park.
I liked the competativeniss of the early morning rides. If I had more time I guess I would make my
rides longer.

B. Lafferty wrote:

> "Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>>B. Lafferty wrote:
>>

>>>And I just finished dropping $2500 into my mouth. I could've be you.
>>
>>Eddy B. always said to have your teeth checked before the season.
>>

>>>I liked PP very much, although it was too much trouble to get to for me compared to CP. I was
>>>living in Stuytown. Plus, I was told that there
>
> were
>
>>>going to be visa requirements imposed on cyclists from NYC. ;-)
>>
>>Nah, just bring bagels from Ess-A-Bagel.
>>
>>Steve
>

> Oh, that is a wonderful place. Now you've made me homesick!

I taught at my dental school for a couple of years, and we frequently walked down 1st Ave.
for lunch there. I think they're better than H&H. A year or two ago, remember seeing an
article in the NY Times about Paul Reiser returning to Stuyvesant town, where he'd grown up.
I had an uncle who lived there on E.20th.

Best, Steve

Originally posted by Steven Bornfeld
B. Lafferty wrote:

> "Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>>B. Lafferty wrote:
>>

>>>And I just finished dropping $2500 into my mouth. I could've be you.
>>
>>Eddy B. always said to have your teeth checked before the season.
>>

>>>I liked PP very much, although it was too much trouble to get to for me compared to CP. I was
>>>living in Stuytown. Plus, I was told that there
>
> were
>
>>>going to be visa requirements imposed on cyclists from NYC. ;-)
>>
>>Nah, just bring bagels from Ess-A-Bagel.
>>
>>Steve
>

> Oh, that is a wonderful place. Now you've made me homesick!

I taught at my dental school for a couple of years, and we frequently walked down 1st Ave.
for lunch there. I think they're better than H&H. A year or two ago, remember seeing an
article in the NY Times about Paul Reiser returning to Stuyvesant town, where he'd grown up.
I had an uncle who lived there on E.20th.

Best, Steve

! Ess-A-Bagel!!! Oh yes, much better than H&H. It's like they crammed an entire loaf of bread into each one. It's an Atkin's nightmare, but oh so good. I haven't been to NYC in years - this thread is making me want to plan a road trip. Maybe head over to the Horseshoe bar in alphabet city for a pint of snakebite. or two.

"pedalchick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Steven Bornfeld wrote:
> > B. Lafferty wrote:
> > > "Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]:4044030E.7040508@e-
> > > arthlink.net...

> > > were

> > > Oh, that is a wonderful place. Now you've made me homesick!
> > I taught at my dental school for a couple of years, and we frequently walked down 1st
> > Ave. for lunch there. I think
they're
> > better than H&H. A year or two ago, remember seeing an article in the NY Times about
> > Paul Reiser returning to Stuyvesant
town,
> > where he'd grown up. I had an uncle who lived there on E.20th. Best, Steve
>

> ! Ess-A-Bagel!!! Oh yes, much better than H&H. It's like they crammed an entire loaf of bread into
> ! each one. It's an Atkin's nightmare, but oh so good. I haven't been to NYC in years - this
> ! thread is making me want to plan a road trip. Maybe head over to the Horseshoe bar in alphabet
> ! city for a pint of snakebite. or two.

Much, much better than H&H, although H&H isn't bad at all. Ever have Cuban at Cafe National, between
11th and 12th IIRC. The Mofungo was to die for.

B. Lafferty wrote:

> Much, much better than H&H, although H&H isn't bad at all. Ever have Cuban at Cafe National,
> between 11th and 12th IIRC. The Mofungo was to die for.

No--thanks for the tip!

Steve