Nishiki Bicycles

Randal Lovelace

Jul 11, 2003
Ok, I've been trying to catch on 3 weeks of no internet (I'm ok, really.....lol)

And I have seen several of you have Nishiki bicycles.

I have recently bought a Nishiki from a garage sale for $5.00

The one I have is a Nishiki Sport, with the following:

Suntour AR Front and Rear Der.

Sugino XT Front 3pc (Aluminum)

Shimano Rear rim/hub (steel) - to be replaced with the rear from my Lotus Elan (takes it from 10 to 12 speed, and gets rid of steel for Aluminum) the 'new' rim is Jou Ya F23 - 6 gear shimano

Jou Ya F23 Front rim/hub - from the Lotus (the rim that was on it was warped badly and had a shredded tire and tube)

Dia-Compe 1284M Quick Release alloy Calipers with matching Dia-Compe Quick Release System levers

"Custom" Aluminum Neck

Champion Handle bar

and of course I've put on my Bell Torchaire headlights (2), 5 Led multiflashing rear light, and my alloy rear rack (for my lunch and work clothes.)

The bike has seen a lot of abuse, however the frame is perfectly straight, and the forks are in good shape...

I am planning a full repaint. (I'll be doing it myself)

current color is Burgundy with Gold neck and decals....

new color will be Dk. Burgundy with all accessories in metallic Blue....(to match the Dia-compe calipers.)

Any information about these should get posted for all...

Please list your Nishiki and all components.

(Thought I'd reply, since this topic is what led me to cyclingforums. I'm not sure if it's ok to revive an old thread like this, but I haven't had much experience with these bikes other than my own, and feel moved to contribute.)

$5.00? Nice :) I paid $50.00 at an antique shop (!) in '99, and it was still a good deal. Actually, the shop owner had a matching pair and kept one for himself, he liked it so much. This bike's never let me down, and other than needing a new set of tires from the get-go, it hasn't really needed much. The lugs and frame quality are impressive... so it should last a long time. The components aren't too bad either... and most are alluminum alloy, which happens to match the silver accents on the frame. I ride often, and while the Nishiki Sport may not be a high-end racing bike, or the most dedicated touring machine, it's quick, durable, not too heavy (about 23 lbs. road ready) and a pleasure to ride. Would look classy with a little touching up.

From what I can tell, based on the hubs and numbers stamped on the frame, my Nishiki was built in '86. Here are some of the specs:

Frame color: metallic burgundy with silver neck and lug detailing. Still shiny, but has some paint chips and minor scratches).
Frame material: mixture of 4310 chrome-moly and standard steel

Crankset: Sugino VP
Wheels: Araya
Hubs: Maillard with quick release front and rear
Derailleurs: Suntour SVX
Brakes: Dia Compe sidepulls
Stem: Custom
Saddle: Vetta
Brake levers: TekTro
Handlebar: Titec Enduro with matching long Profile bar ends (Oddly, they look "right" on this bike as well as suiting my riding style of light touring, commuting, and everyday riding. They were originally purchased for a mountain bike I no longer own.)
Grips: Serfas
Misc: It came with a funny little Rhode Gear 'wheel-flip-stand-thingy?'...a bar that locks the front wheel in place, so the bike can be leaned up against anything without fear that the Nishiki will turn and roll away, and keeps things straight when hanging it up in the garage. The bike also has 2 water bottle cages and mounts for racks and fenders.

I still have the Champion drops in case I want to bring it back to more-or-less standard old-school road bike form... though the original bar feels a bit heavy for my liking, and may get an upgrade along with better brake levers if I want to go back to a drop style.

How can you complain about a $5 bike??!! Heck, that's about the cost of a single tube. Awesome pickup. You could ride it for a week, throw it away and still be ahead of the game. Ride it, enjoy it, just don't toss too much cash into it or you'll violate the yard sale rule which invalidates a good deal.

I picked up a Nishiki Tri/TT bike a few years back that was full Shimano 105 (8 speed) with Hed Jet wheels. It's been a great extra bike and has performed flawlessly.

Congrats on the great score.

All Nishiki's are ****!!!

Old and New

Trek,Kestrel, Specialized...etc. are the best:D

Im proud of my 1500:cool:

Cyclist14 said:
All Nishiki's are ****!!!

Old and New

Trek,Kestrel, Specialized...etc. are the best:D

Im proud of my 1500:cool:
And be sure to let us all know right away when you find a Kestrel for $5.00

artmichalek said:
And be sure to let us all know right away when you find a Kestrel for $5.00
I've dedicated my life to trolling garage sales and thrift stores looking for a $5 Vortex with Record 10. ;)

I just pick up a really nice Nishiki Landau Tri-A. It has all the Shimano 600 components, rim size 700x20C. Don't know what is the made. It has the black paint on the inside of the rim. Does anybody know what make is the rim?
Overall, it's the high end of the Nishiki bike in the 1980s. Color is distinctive in black and gold tube and fork. It also has a leather saddle by Norco.
Thanks.