Offensive Toyota Commercial

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Harris

Have you seen the latest TV ad for Camry? This guy is "driving" his new Camry like a maniac on
somehow deserted freeways in an urban environment. He drives backwards, skids sideways, and weaves
across three or more lanes in obvious ecstasy. The tag line is, "My car makes the road feel like my
playground."

Is this what sells cars? Incedible! I sure don't want to be around someone with an attitude like
that when I'm out riding my bike.

Art Harris

"Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Have you seen the latest TV ad for Camry? This guy is "driving" his new Camry like a maniac on
> somehow deserted freeways in an urban environment. He drives backwards, skids sideways, and weaves
> across three or more lanes in obvious ecstasy. The tag line is, "My car makes the road feel like
> my playground."
>
> Is this what sells cars? Incedible! I sure don't want to be around someone with an attitude like
> that when I'm out riding my bike.

Why are you wasting your time watching TV? And why are you paying attention to the commercials? Who
cares what they say.

Dave

In article <[email protected]>, Harris
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Have you seen the latest TV ad for Camry? This guy is "driving" his new Camry like a maniac on
> somehow deserted freeways in an urban environment. He drives backwards, skids sideways, and weaves
> across three or more lanes in obvious ecstasy. The tag line is, "My car makes the road feel like
> my playground."
>
> Is this what sells cars? Incedible! I sure don't want to be around someone with an attitude like
>

Most car commecials sell cars with scenes of driving experiences that don't exist for most people,
most of the time.

Kurt

P.S. all commercials are offensive

[email protected] wrote:
: In article <[email protected]>, Harris
: <[email protected]> wrote:

:> Have you seen the latest TV ad for Camry? This guy is "driving" his new Camry like a maniac on
:> somehow deserted freeways in an urban environment. He drives backwards, skids sideways, and
:> weaves across three or more lanes in obvious ecstasy. The tag line is, "My car makes the road
:> feel like my playground."
:>
:> Is this what sells cars?
[...]

You don't get out much, do you? [I kid]

: Most car commecials sell cars with scenes of driving experiences that don't exist for most people,
: most of the time.

: P.S. all commercials are offensive

Not all. That Marco Bavaria beer ad is priceless. If you haven't seen it well.... words could not
do it justice.

But as far as advertising in general: It will only get worse. People are tuning out ads so ads are
infiltrating the entertainment.

See also:

Fast and Furious, 2 Fast and 2 furious; some Japanese cars apparently [I
refuse to see the movies but they appear to be feature legnth car ads]

The Italian Job; Mini's.

Any Bond movie.

But it's not just cars:

L'Oreal featured in a soap opera plot-line.

Bond movies again; watches, pda's, a certain cola, to name a few.

Spider Man movie and the infamous scene swinging through Times Square.

Product placement is the next big thing.

--
'They paved paradise And put up a parking lot' -Joni Mitchell

> my playground."
>

I think you raise an important issue. It used to be that car makers were very circumspect with
things like massively overpowered cars. They would always show the family man using the 400 hp v-8
to safely merge (with wife & 2.2 kids) into a freeway with menacing semi's bearing down. Then, they
went into the "closed track with professional driver", AKA "don't try this at home kids", shtick,
where the "professional" put the vehicle through its paces. In recent years, the trend has been to
wide-open, no-holds-barred, appeal to adrenaline, for kids, moms & dads. The auto industry is
shamelessly marketing cars & trucks as (aggressive) toys. Driving is an X-game. This is nuts.

Dodge just released the V10 engine from the Viper in a pick up truck. They claim 500 hp and the
worlds fastest pick up truck! UGH!! "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:GBQDa.846433$OV.799549@rwcrnsc54...
> "Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Have you seen the latest TV ad for Camry? This guy is "driving" his new Camry like a maniac on
> > somehow deserted freeways in an urban
environment.
> > He drives backwards, skids sideways, and weaves across three or more
lanes
> > in obvious ecstasy. The tag line is, "My car makes the road feel like my playground."
> >
> > Is this what sells cars? Incedible! I sure don't want to be around
someone
> > with an attitude like that when I'm out riding my bike.
>
> I think you raise an important issue. It used to be that car makers were
very
> circumspect with things like massively overpowered cars. They would always show the family man
> using the 400 hp v-8 to safely merge (with wife & 2.2 kids) into a freeway with menacing semi's
> bearing down. Then, they went
into
> the "closed track with professional driver", AKA "don't try this at home kids", shtick, where the
> "professional" put the vehicle through its paces.
In
> recent years, the trend has been to wide-open, no-holds-barred, appeal to adrenaline, for kids,
> moms & dads. The auto industry is shamelessly
marketing
> cars & trucks as (aggressive) toys. Driving is an X-game. This is nuts.

"Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:GBQDa.846433$OV.799549@rwcrnsc54...
> > Have you seen the latest TV ad for Camry? This guy is "driving" his new Camry like a maniac on
environment.
lanes
> > in obvious ecstasy. The tag line is, "My car makes the road feel like my playground."
> >
someone
>
> I think you raise an important issue. It used to be that car makers were
very
> circumspect with things like massively overpowered cars. They would always show the family man
> using the 400 hp v-8 to safely merge (with wife & 2.2 kids) into a freeway with menacing semi's
> bearing down. Then, they went
into
> the "closed track with professional driver", AKA "don't try this at home kids", shtick, where the
> "professional" put the vehicle through its paces.
In
> recent years, the trend has been to wide-open, no-holds-barred, appeal to adrenaline, for kids,
> moms & dads. The auto industry is shamelessly
marketing
> cars & trucks as (aggressive) toys. Driving is an X-game. This is nuts.

Australia introduced a code banning car advertisements showing stupid driving last year (I think the
UK may already have one) - see http://www.bandt.com.au/articles/b5/0c0151b5.asp for an example &
some detail. Now all we have to do is work on the existing stupid drivers.

Andy

> Have you seen the latest TV ad for Camry? This guy is
"driving" his new
> Camry like a maniac on somehow deserted freeways in an
urban environment.
> He drives backwards, skids sideways, and weaves across
three or more lanes
> in obvious ecstasy. The tag line is, "My car makes the
road feel like my
> playground."
>
> Is this what sells cars? Incedible!

Is there any *other* form of auto advertising? Welcome to the land of the living!

> I sure don't want to be around someone with an attitude like that when I'm out riding my bike.

Well, you are.

Matt O.

> Most car commecials sell cars with scenes of driving experiences that don't exist for most people,
> most of the time.

Right. Unlike the much more realistic bike ads, which might show Lance conquering Alpe D'Huez,
something a typical cyclist might have ample opportunity to do.

Excuse me while I go charge up the hill near my house so I can stomp Pantani into the ground next
time I come across him on a ride! :>)

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

You know......anyone who is so uptight that they would find that commercial THAT offensive needs to
kill a 6 pack and lighten the hell up.

Jeez, get over it.

"*John*" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> You know......anyone who is so uptight that they would find that
commercial
> THAT offensive needs to kill a 6 pack and lighten the hell up.
>
> Jeez, get over it.
>

Anyone brain-dead enough to not notice the obscenity of car culture and advertising let alone the
mixture of the two needs to save their remaining brain cells and maybe think about checking out AA.

On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 04:09:10 GMT, "ride your bike" <[email protected]> from SBC
http://yahoo.sbc.com wrote:

>
>"*John*" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> You know......anyone who is so uptight that they would find that
>commercial
>> THAT offensive needs to kill a 6 pack and lighten the hell up.
>>
>> Jeez, get over it.
>>
>
>Anyone brain-dead enough to not notice the obscenity of car culture and advertising let alone the
>mixture of the two needs to save their remaining brain cells and maybe think about checking out AA.

What's television?

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace All right, you degenerates! I want this place
evacuated in 20 seconds!
12:06:53 AM 6 June 2003

"Raoul Duke" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>
environment.
lanes
> >
someone
>
> Why are you wasting your time watching TV? And why are you paying
attention
> to the commercials? Who cares what they say.

Commercials change the way people think. If you don't believe that then you'll be puzzled about the
amount of money spent on it.

There are plenty of countries where adverts emphasising the speed of a car, and driving as mentioned
above, are not permitted.

Andy Simpson wrote:
> "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:GBQDa.846433$OV.799549@rwcrnsc54...
>
>>"Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>Have you seen the latest TV ad for Camry? This guy is "driving" his new Camry like a maniac on
>>>somehow deserted freeways in an urban
>
> environment.
>
>>>He drives backwards, skids sideways, and weaves across three or more
>
> lanes
>
>>>in obvious ecstasy. The tag line is, "My car makes the road feel like my playground."
>>>
>>>Is this what sells cars? Incedible! I sure don't want to be around
>
> someone
>
>>>with an attitude like that when I'm out riding my bike.
>>
>>I think you raise an important issue. It used to be that car makers were
>
> very
>
>>circumspect with things like massively overpowered cars. They would always show the family man
>>using the 400 hp v-8 to safely merge (with wife & 2.2 kids) into a freeway with menacing semi's
>>bearing down. Then, they went
>
> into
>
>>the "closed track with professional driver", AKA "don't try this at home kids", shtick, where the
>>"professional" put the vehicle through its paces.
>
> In
>
>>recent years, the trend has been to wide-open, no-holds-barred, appeal to adrenaline, for kids,
>>moms & dads. The auto industry is shamelessly
>
> marketing
>
>>cars & trucks as (aggressive) toys. Driving is an X-game. This is nuts.
>
>
> Australia introduced a code banning car advertisements showing stupid driving last year (I think
> the UK may already have one) - see http://www.bandt.com.au/articles/b5/0c0151b5.asp for an example
> & some detail. Now all we have to do is work on the existing stupid drivers.
>
> Andy
>
>
Quite right Andy. But prior to that we had 4WDs with "hearts" and "souls" and fast European sports
cars with "breeding".

The reality is we are discussing powered metal boxes which are sometimes useful, mostly expensive
and always dangerous. Until they are seen as such, and not as playthings, we are all at serious risk
each time we leave our houses.

Alan.

Right on!

And how about those Honda mini-SUV commercials where some extreme sport junkie gets badly hurt
biking or kayaking, and the Honda drivers just sneer at them and drive away?! So much for aid and
assistance.

On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 19:04:22 GMT, Harris <[email protected]> wrote:

>Have you seen the latest TV ad for Camry? This guy is "driving" his new Camry like a maniac on
>somehow deserted freeways in an urban environment. He drives backwards, skids sideways, and weaves
>across three or more lanes in obvious ecstasy. The tag line is, "My car makes the road feel like my
>playground."
>
>Is this what sells cars? Incedible! I sure don't want to be around someone with an attitude like
>that when I'm out riding my bike.
>
>Art Harris

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 07:14:02 +0000 (UTC), "W K" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
>Commercials change the way people think.

Yellow book, yellow book, yellow book.

>There are plenty of countries where adverts emphasising the speed of a car, and driving as
>mentioned above, are not permitted.

Need a lift to the airport?

>The reality is we are discussing powered metal boxes which are sometimes useful, mostly expensive
>and always dangerous. Until they are seen as such, and not as playthings, we are all at serious
>risk each time we leave our houses.

Reality is a frightening thing.

A pickup truck hit a house two days ago in a city not 45 miles from where I am right now.

Not only will I not leave my house, I will not leave the interior of the house. I will not go within
ten feet of an exterior wall of my house.

Thanks for the warning.

"Zippy the Pinhead" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 07:14:02 +0000 (UTC), "W K" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
> >
> >Commercials change the way people think.
>
> Yellow book, yellow book, yellow book.

Whats that mean - have you had your brain sucked out by corporate advertising?

> >There are plenty of countries where adverts emphasising the speed of a
car,
> >and driving as mentioned above, are not permitted.
>
> Need a lift to the airport?
>

Why would I need a lift to an airport?
a) There are trains.
b) I can get there by bike
c) aha, a bit over your horizon so I won't try to confuse you.

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

> > Most car commecials sell cars with scenes of driving experiences that don't exist for most
> > people, most of the time.
>
> Right. Unlike the much more realistic bike ads, which might show Lance conquering Alpe D'Huez,
> something a typical cyclist might have ample opportunity to do.
>
> Excuse me while I go charge up the hill near my house so I can stomp Pantani into the ground next
> time I come across him on a ride! :>)

Some of the ads with MTBs in them are really something. These ads aren't actually selling MTBs IIRC.
One has Lance going pedal the metal I think.

MTBs flying through the air, splashing through puddles and streams, riders sometimes flying over the
handlebars into the air.

Why would any non-masochist want to ride a bike after such a display?

SMH

waxxer wrote:

> Dodge just released the V10 engine from the Viper in a pick up truck. They claim 500 hp and the
> worlds fastest pick up truck! UGH!!

The V-10 in the Dodge pickup has been around since 1994 I think.

Of course the V-10 in the stock pickup truck and the Viper are not the same beast.

Like it or not, power is a selling point, and not just in trucks or sports cars. Even the minivans
are getting power upgrades.

SMH

Status
Not open for further replies.