On yer left...

Unrelated but illustrates the complete lack of awareness of the Candrivers is an incident that happened today on my commute to work.

On a main road commuting to work around 06:30am. Its a Sunday morning but the road has a fair wack of traffic due to it being a holiday weekend and people are spending the day out up the coast.

I spot a kid alone on the other side of the road, walking strangely and I notice he is bare-footed and only dressed in his PJ's. I reckon he is probably around 12. Ok so I'm thinking this kid is learning disabled/intellectually handicapped. So I stop and sure enough he cannot speak and I suspect severely autistic, just makes sounds and is a little distressed as he makes his way to the local video store and tries the door to get in but its obviously closed at this time. I contact the police and they arrive after about 40mins, by which time the kid is getting upset. I head off to work.

At work we figured he probably came from a local IHD respite/accommodation centre which is along the road approx 5km away,(the road is long and straight). He obviously knew the video shop well and probably walked there with his carers often, (carers are known to take these kids for long walks to sap the often boundless energy they have).

Thing is there was a lot of traffic about today, with families out and about and around 20 cars passed me by the time I hit the road and got to him and many more would have passed before then. Yet no one saw him or if they did questioned that it was odd that a kid who was walking on tiptoes dressed in PJs, gesticulating strangely should be out and about at 06:30 in the morning on his own. The road has speed restrictions due to it being urbanised. Is it car drivers or do people just not want to get involved?

Funny or in fact not so funny a collegue traveling to work on the same route wondered what that suspcious man was doing talking to that kid, realised it was me, due to my cycling gear and carried onto to work!!!! I asked her why she did not stop and she said she realised it was me but by the time she had, she had gone "to far" to turn around.

Jonahhobbes said:
Thing is there was a lot of traffic about today, with families out and about and around 20 cars passed me by the time I hit the road and got to him and many more would have passed before then. Yet no one saw him or if they did questioned that it was odd that a kid who was walking on tiptoes dressed in PJs, gesticulating strangely should be out and about at 06:30 in the morning on his own. The road has speed restrictions due to it being urbanised. Is it car drivers or do people just not want to get involved?

Funny or in fact not so funny a collegue traveling to work on the same route wondered what that suspcious man was doing talking to that kid, realised it was me, due to my cycling gear and carried onto to work!!!! I asked her why she did not stop and she said she realised it was me but by the time she had, she had gone "to far" to turn around.
Many car drivers may not have noticed, or would not have paid enough attention to notice the strange signs, but I think even those who noticed the kid would have hesitated to interfere unless it was absolutely clear that something was amiss.

Hmmm, TheDarklord I see where you're coming from yet the experience illustrates a couple of sad facets of car driving and modern life. When in a car a persons awareness is so completely limited which with the speeds vehicles can reach its no wonder we have so much death on our roads.

I'm fairly sure though at least one of the passengers passing would have noticed and would also have noticed that there was something up with the kid, enough to know that the kid deserved another look. Again the protective bubble of a car helps reinforce our personal comfort zone and enhances our ability to ignore each other.

Thank god I cycle, I am part of my world.

Jonahhobbes said:
Hmmm, TheDarklord I see where you're coming from yet the experience illustrates a couple of sad facets of car driving and modern life. When in a car a persons awareness is so completely limited which with the speeds vehicles can reach its no wonder we have so much death on our roads.

I'm fairly sure though at least one of the passengers passing would have noticed and would also have noticed that there was something up with the kid, enough to know that the kid deserved another look. Again the protective bubble of a car helps reinforce our personal comfort zone and enhances our ability to ignore each other.

Thank god I cycle, I am part of my world.

I agree 103%. The reasons you cite are the big reasons why I hate cars. Give me a bicycle or motorcycle any day. I'd rather be in contact with and aware of the world around me, rather than sealed inside a metal sensory deprivation tank.

alienator said:
I agree 103%. The reasons you cite are the big reasons why I hate cars. Give me a bicycle or motorcycle any day. I'd rather be in contact with and aware of the world around me, rather than sealed inside a metal sensory deprivation tank.
But I don't think "being in aware of the world around" is related to biking as opposed to driving. Even when walking, doesn't one occasionally get so lost in one's thoughts that one doesn't even notice a friend walking by. It has definitely happened to me. I think the problem is more that people in general these days just want to be in their own fantasy world rather than be in touch with the real world. For example, while walking/running, how often do you see people plugged into their iPods or MP3 players, or talking on cell phones? That is the perfect recipe for losing touch with the "real world". No wonder then that when these people are put in cars, they don't have a clue as to what is going on around them. I just wanted to say that riding a bike by itself does not guarantee that you are aware of the world around you.

TheDarkLord said:
But I don't think "being in aware of the world around" is related to biking as opposed to driving. Even when walking, doesn't one occasionally get so lost in one's thoughts that one doesn't even notice a friend walking by. It has definitely happened to me. I think the problem is more that people in general these days just want to be in their own fantasy world rather than be in touch with the real world. For example, while walking/running, how often do you see people plugged into their iPods or MP3 players, or talking on cell phones? That is the perfect recipe for losing touch with the "real world". No wonder then that when these people are put in cars, they don't have a clue as to what is going on around them. I just wanted to say that riding a bike by itself does not guarantee that you are aware of the world around you.
Good points and I read on another post that road cyclists can become oblivious to whats going on around them due to them concentrating on maintaining speeds. I however don't really concern myself about speed and I snap myself out of that state you get in when you start to drift. Being aware keeps me alive but also lets me enjoy and experience the world around me as I pass through it.

Yeah joggers and Ipods and cyclists and their speeds can make them switch off, but there is nothing like a car, with the heater on and a driver who has only been up 10 minutes to beat lack of awareness in all others hands down.

TheDarkLord said:

You're right. Absolute statements don't work all the time, here. You're also right in that anyone can drift off into their own little world when the conditions are right. However, there is something that comes part and parcel with the American fetish and need for cars. On a societal level, that something is being cut off from other people. These days it's even worse since now, Americans not only must have our cars, but apparently we have to be entertained while in the cars. By shunning public transport or bikes and motorcycles, Americans are willingly accepting the barrier such decisions creates between individuals and society.

Clogged urban highways and road rage demonstrate the result of accepting such decisions. Cut off from the world, isolated in an air conditioned hermetically sealed capsule, we lose that extra opportunity to interact with other people and further develop/hone acceptable behavior with our fellow man. Inner city buses are crowded, yet you don't hear of bus rage, people going off because the buses are so crowded. Isolation via a car doesn't foster growth of healthy socialization skills.

Also, the car continues the trend of humans further distancing themselves from awareness of their natural environment. People go on about animals seemingly having a sixth sense for danger, but the truth is that animals are aware of their environment. Us humanoids have lost that as we've become more reliant on technology and have willingly accepted the growing distance between us and nature. The child by the road in the story above is a perfect example of that loss of natural awareness. Animals are aware of the behavior of other animals and can easily discern when another is not behaving as expected or is in a situation that is abnormal. Us humans, again, are failing there. It isn't normal for a young child to be alone as described above, but the majority of the population just doesn't pick that up. They've been conditioned to believe that Childrens' Services or the police are responsible for noticing such things.

When I'm out in the wilderness, as in the past when climbing or doing some mountaineering, I've eschewed the high tech gadgets, relying instead on a simple compass, altimeter, and my awareness of what's going on around me to find my way in storms. I leave the iPod at home so that I can focus on the sounds around me, the feel of the snow/ice beneath my feet and the sound it makes. I don't carry sprays, guns, or hunting knives for protection from wild varmits. Instead I pay attention to the animules and their behavior. It's worked with bears, mountain lions, wolves, and etc.

For similar reasons I don't wear an iPod or summat when I ride. Sure, it's a safety decision, but my reasons go beyond that. I prefer to be actively immersed in the environment. It sharpens my senses and is fulfilling. With buds in yer ears, cranking out yer favorite tunes, you miss more than just the awareness of what cars be doing. You miss that opportunity to hone a finer edge on your senses.

Maybe these things don't seem related to being isolated in a car, but they are.

I find the similarities regarding the inclination of drivers to disconnect from their environment..and the amount of disconnect I feel when I log onto this forum... a little uncomfortable...

But at least I can't harm anyone but myself while I'm online.

Lol good story. I like that on yer left thing. Yes there are all kinds driving semi's.

That was a close call. I can only imagine how frightened you were. I guess a bruised elbow was nothing compared to what could have happened. You do have a lot to be thankful for.

Another reason why I'm wary of huge trucks, not only when cycling but also when driving.

Thankfully not many you see around are overloaded but you do get some who seem to not care about their unit and trailers limits.