one or more files have been recorded using variable rate recording and therefore IF, TSS and NP cant

HincapieFan88

Nov 13, 2010
Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and new to using a powermeter so please be gentle. I have a powertap pro paired up with a garmin edge 500 and it all seems to be working ok. As Im a mac user and dont want to spend a fortune on WKO+, Windows and VMWare I currently use garmin training centre and then export the files and bring them into the latest version of poweragent.

The problem Im experiencing is that sometimes when importing into poweragent I get a message saying that one or more files have been recorded using variable rate recording and therefore IF, TSS and NP cant be calculated. This has only happened the last few times since when I know that I have manually started and stopped the garmin during the ride either due to a puncture of coffee stop. Should I just leave the garmin recording all the time to stop the problems when importing. However, if I leave it running then average speed and other factors will be inaccurate because of the duration the computer is running.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

I have the same set-up and have seen this problem a couple of times. Not sure what I'm doing differently, but it seems to have gone away. Do you use autopause on your Garmin? Maybe that's creating a problem. I use it and am not having the issue, so if you're not, try it and see.

Another option might be to start a new lap when you stop, then start a new one when you restart. You might then be able to delete the middle lap and merge the other two. Don't know if this will work, but might be worth trying.

One last idea...try deleting all the history on your Garmin (after saving off all the .fit files, of course). Sometimes one corrupt file can screw things up pretty good. Garmin had me do this.

same issue here, but for importing files from others. The files I down load are fine, but those I import are not (into poweragent). they do import OK into training peaks, and calculate NP TSS etc.