OP Update - 3000 miles in 10 months... so Why am I still fat?

On 25 May 2004 13:19:52 GMT, [email protected] (Pbwalther) wrote:

>Well Scientic American had an article quite a few years
>back about a "real" starvation diet. That was no food at
>all and for months on end. They people's metabolic rates
>sank to extremely low levels.
>
>Now I bet that if you test people, some folks would lower
>their rates in response to almost any decrease in calories
>ingested and other people would not. The problem here is
>that measuring metabolic rate is pretty tricky and it is
>not convenient at all. I doubt that anyone has done it.
>
>>But, I think the caloric benefits of exercise vis-a-vis
>>weight loss are overstated
>
>It depends on what you mean by overstated. I recall reading
>somewhere that the occupation that had the highest known
>rate of caloric expenditure per day was being an old manual
>tool lumberjack and the calories burned per day were in
>excess of 10,000.

Good post. I have also heard some anecdotal comments about
an old manual tool lumberjack. One guy went out to try
various professions and couldn't hang with them for even an
hour, IIRC...

Metabolic rates seem like something that would be hard to
measure, and unless you are in a special sealed room
(everything measured in and out, including watervapor, food,
temp, etc.) then you might miss something when doing the
calorie calc and body weighing. Not sure how they measure
metabolism, though, just babbling. <g>

I tend to remain 'revved up' and heated up and jazzed for a
couple hours after exercising, incl weight training,
jogging, biking, swimming, or combo of those. I lose weight
quickly when not jamming in the cake and pie and pizza and
beer, regardless of what I'm doing activity wise.

-B

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> On 25 May 2004 13:19:52 GMT, [email protected]
> (Pbwalther) wrote:
>
> >Well Scientic American had an article quite a few years
> >back about a "real" starvation diet. That was no food at
> >all and for months on end. They people's metabolic rates
> >sank to extremely low levels.
> >
> >Now I bet that if you test people, some folks would lower
> >their rates in response to almost any decrease in
> >calories ingested and other people would not. The problem
> >here is that measuring metabolic rate is pretty tricky
> >and it is not convenient at all. I doubt that anyone has
> >done it.
> >
> >>But, I think the caloric benefits of exercise vis-a-vis
> >>weight loss are overstated
> >
> >It depends on what you mean by overstated. I recall
> >reading somewhere that the occupation that had the
> >highest known rate of caloric expenditure per day was
> >being an old manual tool lumberjack and the calories
> >burned per day were in excess of 10,000.
>
> Good post. I have also heard some anecdotal comments about
> an old manual tool lumberjack. One guy went out to try
> various professions and couldn't hang with them for even
> an hour, IIRC...

RAAM riders have been known to consume 10,000 to 15,000
calories per day as well, and not gain any weight.

--
Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in
the newsgroups if possible).

On Tue, 25 May 2004 08:28:23 -0700, Terry Morse <[email protected]> wrote:

>Badger_South wrote:
>
>> Metabolic rates seem like something that would be hard to
>> measure
>
>A simple VO2 test, done at rest, produces a good estimate
>of resting metabolic rate. You can have this done at
>clinics around the country:
>
>http://www.korr.com/applications/indirect.htm

Guess I should have said 'changes in metabolic rate', as in
BMR. But good link. I'm learning more about VO2max, doing
some reading now. Thanks!

BTW, I've estimated mine at about 50-51ml.kg.min using
formula in an article in the British Mag "220 Triathlon".

-B

In article <[email protected]>,
"Doug Cook" <[email protected]> writes:

> ... I keep a ride dairy ...