Opinions on Crank Bros. Quattro pedals?

tlarwa wrote:

> I started this thread regarding eggbeaters because I want to standardize as
> well, but across bike types ... road and 'cross ... regardless of whether I
> wear my road shoes or mountain bike shoes. Unfortunately, this isn't
> possible with Look or Shimano road cleats. I like to use my 'cross bike on
> the road in the slop, and I'd rather wear road shoes when doing it. I'm
> tired of swapping pedals all the time. Any other solutions than Crank Bros.
> and their universal cleat design?

I guess I don't understand the difference between road and mountain
shoes, so I can't understand why you couldn't standardize on a recessed
cleat design. Is it the aesthetics of the mountain shoes? Or some
functional aspect I have overlooked?

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

tlarwa wrote:

> I started this thread regarding eggbeaters because I want to standardize as
> well, but across bike types ... road and 'cross ... regardless of whether I
> wear my road shoes or mountain bike shoes. Unfortunately, this isn't
> possible with Look or Shimano road cleats. I like to use my 'cross bike on
> the road in the slop, and I'd rather wear road shoes when doing it. I'm
> tired of swapping pedals all the time. Any other solutions than Crank Bros.
> and their universal cleat design?

I guess I don't understand the difference between road and mountain
shoes, so I can't understand why you couldn't standardize on a recessed
cleat design. Is it the aesthetics of the mountain shoes? Or some
functional aspect I have overlooked?

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

All eggbeaters depend on the shoe having two contact points on either
side of the central mechanism. This is visible in the original cast
bodied design as four semi-flat faces on each end of the pedal body.
For the Candy/Mallet/Quattro design, these faces are replaced by the
surface of the platform. These contact points are designed to use the
standard SPD support pads molded into all current MTB shoes. This is
why you need to use either the rubber pontooned road cleat or the
Quattro cleat (it has plastic supports on the sides) when using road
shoes with eggbeaters.

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 03:57:47 GMT, "tlarwa" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I started this thread regarding eggbeaters because I want to standardize as
>well, but across bike types ... road and 'cross ... regardless of whether I
>wear my road shoes or mountain bike shoes.

I've standardized on eggbeaters..

single ti on the road bike
regular eggbeaters on the MTB race bike and hard tail
mallets on the freeride bike
( and crankbros 50/50 flat pedals on the snowbike).

I got some of the very first eggbeaters and quickly wore them out...
but crank bros rebuilt them with upgraded spindles and haven't had any
problems since. The MTB pedals get beaten up regularily and seem to
hold up for me.

oh.. I have one pair of shoes with shimano spd's for spin class :)

charlieb in ct