OT: Another speed limit competitor

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 12:17:24 -0000,
Simon Bennett <[email protected]> wrote:
> Andy Leighton wrote:
>
>> I mean they are not brill or anything are they?

> Quite, they're complete pollacks.

I'll be pouting if people don't **** orfe soon.
BTW I wonder how long before people start floundering to think or new ones.

--
Andy Leighton => [email protected]
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_

Bloody things dont pay road tax!

Fume mutter dribble!

Richard Webb

"[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Andy Leighton wrote:
>>
>> BTW I wonder how long before people start floundering to think or new
>> ones.
>>

> Cod be some time.

Seems that many people are *dab* hands at making the puns. Can't see any
*fin*ish line soon. Mind you people could get sick of it and go a bit green
around the *gills*.

Cheers, helen s

Simon Brooke came up with the following;:
> in message <[email protected]>, Paul - ***
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> Simon Brooke came up with the following;:
>>> in message <[email protected]>, Paul - ***

>>> Nope. Actually neither a 4x4 nor any other vehicle can legally be
>>> parked on the public highway. Parking any vehicle on any highway is
>>> obstructing the highway and is a crime. Next?

>> Bzzzt wrong ...
>>
>> http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/22.htm#213
>>
>> While it stresses a preference for off-street parking, which I agree
>> with,
>> it does NOT say that parking on the road is an offence. If it were an
>> offence, the HC wouldn't, presumably, give suggestions and directions
>> on how and where to park on the road.

> The highway code is not the legislation. The Highways Act itself makes it
> an offence to leave /anything/ - no exceptions at all, unless
> specifically and individually permitted by the relevant local authority,
> signed and coned - on the highway.
>
> Any parking on the public road is /always/ illegal.

No it isn't.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

"Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> wrote:
| I understand that speed limits aren't applied to bikes. How is this of
| interest to uk.rec.cycling?

Ted's a cyclist, when he's not sofa-bound; and Beechcroft Road is
a short rat-run about three of your mobile death greenhouse widths
wide which customarily has death greenhouses immobile on each of its
two sides, leaving little room for cyclists to dodge the alternate
streams of death-greenouse plugs that come rushing at them from each
end alternately.

Besides, it's much more fun than the shark; and unlike the shark
doesn't waste a good house.

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 15:31:21 +0000 (UTC),
wafflycat <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote:

> "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Andy Leighton wrote:
>>>
>>> BTW I wonder how long before people start floundering to think or new
>>> ones.
>>>

>> Cod be some time.
>>

> Seems that many people are *dab* hands at making the puns. Can't see any
> *fin*ish line soon. Mind you people could get sick of it and go a bit green
> around the *gills*.

Shark at her! We will have to have this out manta man unless you are feeling
a bit ruffe.

--

Richard Webb wrote:
> Bloody things dont pay road tax!
>
> Fume mutter dribble!

That's cos they're fish.

Passengers in cars don't pay road tax either. Maybe they should get out
and walk.

...d

"David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Tony Raven wrote:
> > wafflycat wrote:
> > >
> > > Oh I've never haddock-nuff of bad puns ;-)
> > >

> > Could you put that in whiting, I'm a bit hard of herring ;-)

> Arggh, someone lays a bait for their chum and you swallow it hook, line
> and sinker. Time to get out on teh bike, I'm feeling a bit chubby.
> Better watch the ice - don't want to fall eel this close to christmas.
> (Floundering for a few more puns here, better stop before you all get
> too crabby).

There's a plaice for people like you.
--
Pete
http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/Stuff

news:[email protected]...

wrote:
> > Andy Leighton wrote:
> >
> >> I mean they are not brill or anything are they?

> > Quite, they're complete pollacks.

> I'll be pouting if people don't **** orfe soon.
> BTW I wonder how long before people start floundering to think or new

ones.

That's the trouble with using the internet, it's fine mesh just keeps on
trawling in more.
--

Geraint Jones wrote:
> "Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I understand that speed limits aren't applied to bikes. How is this
>> of interest to uk.rec.cycling?

> Ted's a cyclist, when he's not sofa-bound; and Beechcroft Road is
> a short rat-run about three of your mobile death greenhouse widths
> wide which customarily has death greenhouses immobile on each of its
> two sides, leaving little room for cyclists to dodge the alternate
> streams of death-greenouse plugs that come rushing at them from each
> end alternately.

Suffice to say I posted that before I read that the link was interesting. It
seems the person who wrote the OP isn't a cyclist.

That said, my bikes are finding themselves very sadly underused at the
minute. I must fit some lights and find somewhere to go in the evenings.
--
Ambrose

"Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Geraint Jones wrote:
>> "Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> I understand that speed limits aren't applied to bikes. How is this
>>> of interest to uk.rec.cycling?

>> Ted's a cyclist, when he's not sofa-bound; and Beechcroft Road is
>> a short rat-run about three of your mobile death greenhouse widths
>> wide which customarily has death greenhouses immobile on each of its
>> two sides, leaving little room for cyclists to dodge the alternate
>> streams of death-greenouse plugs that come rushing at them from each
>> end alternately.

> Suffice to say I posted that before I read that the link was interesting.

Were you incapable of deciding that the link was interesting for yourself?

> It seems the person who wrote the OP isn't a cyclist.

Upon which definition of the word "cyclist" do you base that conclusion?

> That said, my bikes are finding themselves very sadly underused at the
> minute.

Do you claim to still be a cyclist yourself?

--
Matt B

Matt B wrote:
> "Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Geraint Jones wrote:
>>>
>>> Ted's a cyclist, when he's not sofa-bound; and Beechcroft Road is
>>> a short rat-run about three of your mobile death greenhouse widths
>>> wide which customarily has death greenhouses immobile on each of its
>>> two sides, leaving little room for cyclists to dodge the alternate
>>> streams of death-greenouse plugs that come rushing at them from each
>>> end alternately.

>> Suffice to say I posted that before I read that the link was
>> interesting.

> Were you incapable of deciding that the link was interesting for
> yourself?

Oops, that was poorly written. I read the link after posting this.

>> It seems the person who wrote the OP isn't a cyclist.

> Upon which definition of the word "cyclist" do you base that
> conclusion?

Also poorly written. I meant "doesn't come here to talk about cycling"

>> That said, my bikes are finding themselves very sadly underused at
>> the minute.

> Do you claim to still be a cyclist yourself?

No, but then I never really have. I describe myself as liking bikes. And I
annoy myself by not bothering to go out on them for pleasure, partly because
I moved away from nice countryside to unpleasant and vaguely threatening
suburbia. Sadly, I work too far away to cycle or cycle-train commute, and
all my social stuff seems to be a long way away, too. Still, unfit as I
feel, I get the odd ride in, and I normally do OK. My health's been poor,
too.

That said, I do feel hypocritical about the amount of non-cycling posts I
post here, but at least my modus operandi is to discuss rather than argue.

Still, every bit of needling to get my hub dynamo connected, and my mountain
bike lights charged, and to do my errands by bike and to do some night
riding is helpful. If only I hadn't gone past people having sex in public
last time I was on an evening ride when it was still light, I might be doing
a lot more night riding. I love it.
--
Ambrose

"Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Matt B wrote:
>> "Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Suffice to say I posted that before I read that the link was
>>> interesting.

>> Were you incapable of deciding that the link was interesting for
>> yourself?

> Oops, that was poorly written. I read the link after posting this.

Ah, sounds like a strategy guaranteed to result in the consumption of
lashings of humble pie ;-)

>>> It seems the person who wrote the OP isn't a cyclist.

>> Upon which definition of the word "cyclist" do you base that
>> conclusion?

> Also poorly written. I meant "doesn't come here to talk about cycling"

Perhaps not the niceties of the mechanics of the activity itself. But, I'm
sure you'll agree there is also room for the discussion of road safety
issues, and the relationship between cyclists and other road users.

>>> That said, my bikes are finding themselves very sadly underused at
>>> the minute.

>> Do you claim to still be a cyclist yourself?

> No, but then I never really have. I describe myself as liking bikes. And I
> annoy myself by not bothering to go out on them for pleasure, partly
> because I moved away from nice countryside to unpleasant and vaguely
> threatening suburbia. Sadly, I work too far away to cycle or cycle-train
> commute, and all my social stuff seems to be a long way away, too. Still,
> unfit as I feel, I get the odd ride in, and I normally do OK. My health's
> been poor, too.
>
> That said, I do feel hypocritical about the amount of non-cycling posts I
> post here,

The threads do tend to creep wildy off topic, and there are always arrogant
assertions that cannot remain unchallenged.

> but at least my modus operandi is to discuss rather than argue.

I find it difficult to resist to challenge, what IMHO are unjust or deeply
prejudiced or inflammatory statements or views, or hipocrisy, or conclusions
based on preconceptions. I come, to argue, in the debating sense, but,
because of the nature and passions of many of the participants these debates
often tend to degenerate into quarrels, and even into personal attacks of
one's intelligence or whatever.

> Still, every bit of needling to get my hub dynamo connected, and my
> mountain bike lights charged, and to do my errands by bike and to do some
> night riding is helpful.

Go do it!

> If only I hadn't gone past people having sex in public last time I was on
> an evening ride when it was still light, I might be doing a lot more night
> riding. I love it.

Ah, motorists I presume ;-)

--
Matt B

Simon Brooke wrote:

> Could we please agree some code word to put in the subject line of
> speed-limit threads so that the people who aren't interested can
> killfile them?

What about "YAWN"?

--
Mike

"Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Also poorly written. I meant "doesn't come here to talk about cycling"

> Perhaps not the niceties of the mechanics of the activity itself. But,

I'm
> sure you'll agree there is also room for the discussion of road safety
> issues, and the relationship between cyclists and other road users.

So Matt, do you currently cycle on the highways and byways of Britain?
If yes, read no further.
If not don't you think it might be a good idea to have a go to broaden your
experience?
It's not difficult nor prohibitively expensive ;-)
--

Ambrose Nankivell wrote:

> Speedophiles posting at innappropriate frequency and agression are
> disturbing us in the online world, though.

Do you mean "speedophobes"?

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
>
>> Speedophiles posting at innappropriate frequency and agression are
>> disturbing us in the online world, though.
>>

> Do you mean "speedophobes"?

Gatsophobes, maybe.

--
Ambrose