OT: Osama & Huckleberry win?

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bob N? writes:
>
>>> "For who the bell tolls"

>> Sorry, but you're now venturing down a slippery slope and your feet
>> are covered in oil. It's "for *whom* the bell tolls".

> I see you missed the irony. RTB no longer uses "whom" and when I
> bring it up, the illiterate defend their ground.
>
>> And it tolls for thee!

> These guys never heard of Hemingway.
>
> Jobst Brandt

EH is not taught in modern public schools. The focus these days is on being
'inclusive', so American authors (alive or dead) need not apply.

J.

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 19:40:06 -0600, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:

><[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...

>>> Sorry, but you're now venturing down a slippery slope and your feet
>>> are covered in oil. It's "for *whom* the bell tolls".

>> I see you missed the irony. RTB no longer uses "whom" and when I
>> bring it up, the illiterate defend their ground.
>>
>>> And it tolls for thee!

>> These guys never heard of Hemingway.
>>
>> Jobst Brandt
>>

>EH is not taught in modern public schools. The focus these days is on being
>'inclusive', so American authors (alive or dead) need not apply.
>
>J.

Dear Jay,

Whenever I need a break from discussing face-down crucifixion motifs
in Hemingway or why he thought that muzzle-velocity was measured in
tons, I reach for the classic reference work and feel refreshed:

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Bad-Hemingway-imitation-competition/dp/0156118610

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

> My issue with NYT is their announced editorial positions tend to bleed
> into their news coverage. Both by the way events are covered, and by the
> way events are selected to be covered in the first place. So extreme
> far-left issues like same sex marriage get a lot of ink, but that issue is
> way down the list of importance for most Americans.
>
> J.

I think you'll find you are incorrect on the same sex marriage stuff being
"way down the list of importance." I saw a poll on the religious right and
that topic is one on which younger evangelists split from the older
folks--both in importance and sinfulness. Younger people--younger than, say,
35---simply do not think same sex marriage is that big a deal. Why? Because
they all know someone who is gay. One of my sons has a close friend who is
gay and the other son works out at a known gay gym. He just jokes about it
and makes a point to talk to women so the gays won't ask him for dates.
However, neither of my sons thinks anything of being gay to the point that
it would be characterized as a "extreme far-left issue." They just accept
gays as part of the landscape, so to speak.

Pat in TX

> And what's up with that dreadful Keith O. from NBC?
>
> Why does he hate our president so much?
>
> Puzzled - J.

Jay, you haven't been paying attention to what our president has been up to.
See? I was good and didn't even enter that opportunity you laid out right
there in the middle of your post.

Pat in TX

On Jan 5, 5:36 pm, still just me <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 05 Jan 2008 23:27:25 GMT, [email protected] wrote:
>

> >"For who the bell tolls"

> >Jobst Brandt

> Sorry, but you're now venturing down a slippery slope and your feet
> are covered in oil. It's "for *whom* the bell tolls".
>
> And it tolls for thee!

It tolled quite some time ago; the old fool needs an ear trumpet to
hear and is too vain to use one.

In article
<[email protected]>,
"Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> >> Sorry, but you're now venturing down a slippery slope and your feet
> >> are covered in oil. It's "for *whom* the bell tolls".

> > I see you missed the irony. RTB no longer uses "whom" and when I
> > bring it up, the illiterate defend their ground.
> >
> >> And it tolls for thee!

> > These guys never heard of Hemingway.
> >
> > Jobst Brandt
> >

> EH is not taught in modern public schools. The focus these days is on being
> 'inclusive', so American authors (alive or dead) need not apply.

No need to teach him. Read the novels and be done.
I much prefer the contemporary Dashiell Hammett.
For those who need reminding, the line is John Donne.

"and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;"

--
Michael Press

Per Jay:
>Why does he hate our president so much?

He might be living on a fixed pension - that he's worked all his
life to earn - and not exactly looking forward to the
inflationary consequences of a massive deficit.
--
PeteCresswell

On 06 Jan 2008 01:25:22 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>> Sorry, but you're now venturing down a slippery slope and your feet
>> are covered in oil. It's "for *whom* the bell tolls".

>I see you missed the irony. RTB no longer uses "whom" and when I
>bring it up, the illiterate defend their ground.

Irony is so ironic!

Naw, I missed the previous issue. Whomever was involved? :)

>> And it tolls for thee!

>These guys never heard of Hemingway.

LOL. We used that line for its Dilbert-esque quality in the corporate
world, whenever some poor schlemiel doing his job well got butt
nailed to the cross to cover for some management screw-up. We all knew
the bell was tolling for each of us when that happened.

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 09:48:40 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Per Jay:
>>Why does he hate our president so much?

>He might be living on a fixed pension - that he's worked all his
>life to earn - and not exactly looking forward to the
>inflationary consequences of a massive deficit.

It's easy not to like a self-serving, low-intelligence, a-hole puppet
who has violated the Constitution and our Laws numerous times,
seriously damaged the Presidency, devastated our foreign relations and
credibility abroad for the next 50 years, and simultaneously sold us
out to the corporations and his rich friends at every turn.

But if you've reached the point of hate, you really need to take a
step back. If you hate anyone, hate the American people who were
stupid enough to nominate, elect, and, incredibly, re-elect that putz.

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 20:34:24 -0600, "Pat" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I think you'll find you are incorrect on the same sex marriage stuff being
>"way down the list of importance." I saw a poll on the religious right and
>that topic is one on which younger evangelists split from the older
>folks--both in importance and sinfulness. Younger people--younger than, say,
>35---simply do not think same sex marriage is that big a deal. Why? Because
>they all know someone who is gay. One of my sons has a close friend who is
>gay and the other son works out at a known gay gym. He just jokes about it
>and makes a point to talk to women so the gays won't ask him for dates.
>However, neither of my sons thinks anything of being gay to the point that
>it would be characterized as a "extreme far-left issue." They just accept
>gays as part of the landscape, so to speak.

I don't know about your young/old theory. If the Priests support gay
marriage, they can all get married to their lovers (except for the
ones with underage "partners", they have to do it clandestinely until
they get caught and suffer the ultimate penalty - job transfer!

In article <[email protected]>,
"(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Per Jay:
> >Why does he hate our president so much?

> He might be living on a fixed pension - that he's worked all his life
> to earn - and not exactly looking forward to the inflationary
> consequences of a massive deficit.

The biggest problem in this regard is not the year-to-year deficit,
which has recently been reduced due to increased tax revenues, but the
ballooning national debt: $9,199,106,644,207.59 as of a few minutes
ago. Every American citizen in this newsgroup owns $30,259.45 of that
debt, so subtract that from your net worth. That deficit was about $5.7
trillion near the end of the Clinton Administration, which began buying
down the national debt in 1999 for the first time in 25 years. Since
GWB took office, reckless policies regarding tax policies and
expenditures (with the collusion of a Republican controlled Congress)
have increased the national debt by an astonishing $3.5 trillion
dollars! That's an average of $500 billion per year added to the debt.
And who owns that debt, and what are the implications of that for the
future of America and our security?

This president and this administration is the biggest pack of idiots I
have ever seen hold public office. And that's saying something.

In article <[email protected]>,
still just me <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 09:48:40 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Per Jay:
> >>Why does he hate our president so much?

> >He might be living on a fixed pension - that he's worked all his
> >life to earn - and not exactly looking forward to the inflationary
> >consequences of a massive deficit.

> It's easy not to like a self-serving, low-intelligence, a-hole puppet
> who has violated the Constitution and our Laws numerous times,
> seriously damaged the Presidency, devastated our foreign relations
> and credibility abroad for the next 50 years, and simultaneously sold
> us out to the corporations and his rich friends at every turn.
>
> But if you've reached the point of hate, you really need to take a
> step back. If you hate anyone, hate the American people who were
> stupid enough to nominate, elect, and, incredibly, re-elect that
> putz.

Well, we didn't elect him in 2000. The Supreme Court did, finally
paying back what they owed the Republican Party for their appointments.
And we may not have elected him in 2004, either, given the reported
voting irregularities around the country and especially in Ohio.

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 11:08:05 -0600, Tim McNamara
<[email protected]> wrote:

<snip>
>That deficit was about $5.7
>trillion near the end of the Clinton Administration, which began buying
>down the national debt in 1999 for the first time in 25 years. Since
>GWB took office, reckless policies regarding tax policies and
>expenditures (with the collusion of a Republican controlled Congress)
>have increased the national debt by an astonishing $3.5 trillion
>dollars! That's an average of $500 billion per year added to the debt.
>And who owns that debt, and what are the implications of that for the
>future of America and our security?

No, no, no. Bush is a tax cutter saving us all money and saving the
economy through his and his Congresses carefully passed legislation.
Just like Reagan.

>This president and this administration is the biggest pack of idiots I
>have ever seen hold public office. And that's saying something.

LOL. Bush _is_ an idiot. Trouble is, the people running him aren't.

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 11:09:47 -0600, Tim McNamara
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> still just me <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 09:48:40 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Per Jay:
>> >
>> >He might be living on a fixed pension - that he's worked all his
>> >life to earn - and not exactly looking forward to the inflationary
>> >consequences of a massive deficit.

>> It's easy not to like a self-serving, low-intelligence, a-hole puppet
>> who has violated the Constitution and our Laws numerous times,
>> seriously damaged the Presidency, devastated our foreign relations
>> and credibility abroad for the next 50 years, and simultaneously sold
>> us out to the corporations and his rich friends at every turn.
>>
>> But if you've reached the point of hate, you really need to take a
>> step back. If you hate anyone, hate the American people who were
>> stupid enough to nominate, elect, and, incredibly, re-elect that
>> putz.

>Well, we didn't elect him in 2000. The Supreme Court did, finally
>paying back what they owed the Republican Party for their appointments.
>And we may not have elected him in 2004, either, given the reported
>voting irregularities around the country and especially in Ohio.

Points well taken, and well argued in both directions. I blame the
Dumbocrats for running loser candidates. It should not have even been
close in 2000 - and 2004 was a gimme that they, incredibly, blew.

Watch for a repeat this year.

"still just me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 11:08:05 -0600, Tim McNamara
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>>That deficit was about $5.7
>>trillion near the end of the Clinton Administration, which began buying
>>down the national debt in 1999 for the first time in 25 years. Since
>>GWB took office, reckless policies regarding tax policies and
>>expenditures (with the collusion of a Republican controlled Congress)
>>have increased the national debt by an astonishing $3.5 trillion
>>dollars! That's an average of $500 billion per year added to the debt.
>>And who owns that debt, and what are the implications of that for the
>>future of America and our security?

> No, no, no. Bush is a tax cutter saving us all money and saving the
> economy through his and his Congresses carefully passed legislation.
> Just like Reagan.
>
>>This president and this administration is the biggest pack of idiots I
>>have ever seen hold public office. And that's saying something.

> LOL. Bush _is_ an idiot. Trouble is, the people running him aren't.

The intelligence of the president has little to do with the success of that
presidency. Look at Reagan - a huge success, probably because he was usually
napping in cabinet meetings. On the other hand, there is Carter -
brilliant - but he saw too many alternatives.

It is always about the cabinet, and who has the president's ear.

J.

Per still just me:
>No, no, no. Bush is a tax cutter saving us all money and saving the
>economy through his and his Congresses carefully passed legislation.
>Just like Reagan.

That was tongue-in-cheek, right?

--
PeteCresswell

Tom Sherman wrote:
> All wealth is created from two things and two things only: natural
> resources and labor. Playing games with capital (what the mainstream
> media reports) only shifts wealth around, but does not create it.

That is not true at all. As Romer succinctly quantified, knowledge is
the essential component of wealth creation.

p.s. you can't be serious when you deny NYT is hard left.
[old quip: NYT headline "Fate of Women, Minorities Uncertain", paragraph
17, inside, "Nuclear blast levels LA"]
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tom Sherman wrote:
>> Gratuitous insult counter (since OB declared I was the main offender):
>> Ozark Bicycle: 5
>> Me : 0

>>> On Jan 4, 8:02 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]> whined:

>> Comrade Ozark Bicycle wrote:
>>> Here is a newspaper more to your liking, Komrade:
>>> http://www.pww.org

> Tom Sherman wrote:
>> All wealth is created from two things and two things only: natural
>> resources and labor. Playing games with capital (what the mainstream
>> media reports) only shifts wealth around, but does not create it.

> That is not true at all. As Romer succinctly quantified, knowledge is the
> essential component of wealth creation.
>
> p.s. you can't be serious when you deny NYT is hard left.
> [old quip: NYT headline "Fate of Women, Minorities Uncertain", paragraph
> 17, inside, "Nuclear blast levels LA"]
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> www.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

OK, Judge Jay will rule on this difference of opinion:

Andrew is correct. Tom is flat wrong.

Case closed. It is so ordered.

(The sound of a gavel is heard.)

J.

reminiscing, WheeledBob says -

>It's easy not to like a self-serving, low-intelligence, a-hole puppet
>who has violated the Constitution and our Laws numerous times,
>seriously damaged the Presidency, devastated our foreign relations and

credibility
>abroad for the next 50 years, and simultaneously sold us
>out to the corporations and his rich friends at every
>turn.
>But if you've reached the point of hate, you really
>need to take a step back. If you hate anyone,
>hate the American people who were stupid enough to nominate,
>elect, and, incredibly, re-elect that putz.

...don't hate me, I didn't vote for Clinton...you are talking about
Clinton right?...

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

In article <[email protected]>,
"Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:

> The intelligence of the president has little to do with the success
> of that presidency. Look at Reagan - a huge success, probably because
> he was usually napping in cabinet meetings. On the other hand, there
> is Carter - brilliant - but he saw too many alternatives.

Carter was not good at playing the political game. Politics is personal
and he ignored that aspect of it with Congress, to the point that even
the Democrats wouldn't cooperate with him. IMHO it was this that was
the downfall of his presidency, not the hostage crisis.

> It is always about the cabinet, and who has the president's ear.

It's more about the "Kitchen Cabinet" than the formal Cabinet, IMHO.