Pacific bought out by Canadian firm

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Werehatrack

Pacific, known in part for having bought out several other bike makers (Mongoose most lamentedly,
Schwinn probably just for the name) has, itself, been bought out by Dorel. (Who?)

Press release here:

http://www.schwinnbike.com/news/

I won't speculate on what this may mean for whatever remains of real bike tech in Pacific's
subdivisions, but I don't consider the description of Dorel ("a global supplier of juvenile and home
furnishing products") to bode well.

The stated plans are for the current Pacific CEO to remain as the head of Pacific as a standalone
division of Dorel.

I hope this isn't the harbinger of yet more Walmarting of the brands Pacific controls.

--
My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
Yes, I have a killfile. If I don't respond to something,
it's also possible that I'm busy.
Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

After years of Americans taking over Canadian firms we're starting to reverse the trend! Watch out,
we're coming to get you.

Jonny Canuck

Werehatrack wrote:

> Pacific, known in part for having bought out several other bike makers (Mongoose most lamentedly,
> Schwinn probably just for the name) has, itself, been bought out by Dorel. (Who?)
>
> Press release here:
>
> http://www.schwinnbike.com/news/
>
> I won't speculate on what this may mean for whatever remains of real bike tech in Pacific's
> subdivisions, but I don't consider the description of Dorel ("a global supplier of juvenile and
> home furnishing products") to bode well.
>
> The stated plans are for the current Pacific CEO to remain as the head of Pacific as a standalone
> division of Dorel.
>
> I hope this isn't the harbinger of yet more Walmarting of the brands Pacific controls.
>
> --
> My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail. Yes, I have a killfile. If I
> don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy. Words processed in a facility that
> contains nuts.

You mean that you are coming to give us your hard earned money for our poorly managed companies.

Maybe you should buy Pebble Beach while you are at it.

"Jon" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:CkSSb.353337$ts4.352108@pd7tw3no...
> After years of Americans taking over Canadian firms we're starting to reverse the trend! Watch
> out, we're coming to get you.
>
> Jonny Canuck
>
>
> Werehatrack wrote:
>
> > Pacific, known in part for having bought out several other bike makers (Mongoose most
> > lamentedly, Schwinn probably just for the name) has, itself, been bought out by Dorel. (Who?)
> >
> > Press release here:
> >
> > http://www.schwinnbike.com/news/
> >
> > I won't speculate on what this may mean for whatever remains of real bike tech in Pacific's
> > subdivisions, but I don't consider the description of Dorel ("a global supplier of juvenile and
> > home furnishing products") to bode well.
> >
> > The stated plans are for the current Pacific CEO to remain as the head of Pacific as a
> > standalone division of Dorel.
> >
> > I hope this isn't the harbinger of yet more Walmarting of the brands Pacific controls.
> >
> > --
> > My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail. Yes, I have a killfile. If I
> > don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy. Words processed in a facility that
> > contains nuts.

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 19:50:15 GMT, "Blair Maynard"
<[email protected]> may have said:

>You mean that you are coming to give us your hard earned money for our poorly managed companies.
>
>Maybe you should buy Pebble Beach while you are at it.

Will no one rid us of this troublesome Halliburton?

--

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 06:09:26 GMT, Werehatrack
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Pacific, known in part for having bought out several other bike makers (Mongoose most lamentedly,
>Schwinn probably just for the name) has,

Personally, I was upset that they ended up with GT. My 1997 GT can now be mistaken for a WalMart
bike, and as much as I like my GT, they no longer make road bikes (in fact, they stopped shortly
before I bought my road bike).
--
Rick Onanian

In article <[email protected]>,
Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:

>Personally, I was upset that they ended up with GT. My 1997 GT can now be mistaken for a
>WalMart bike,

Think of that as the ultimate theft deterrent.
--
---
Eric Holeman Chicago Illinois USA

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 05:54:49 +0000 (UTC), [email protected]
(Eric Holeman) wrote:
> Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Personally, I was upset that they ended up with GT. My 1997 GT can now be mistaken for a
>>WalMart bike,
>
>Think of that as the ultimate theft deterrent.

In a beater bike thread, it was postulated that thieves don't know about good bike brands, and only
know WalMart brands; the additional brand recognition then works against those bikes.

It doesn't make a big difference anyway; I don't park that bike anywhere but home. I ride it into
the woods and don't park it until I'm done. If somebody broke into my home and took it, I'd be less
upset than if they took my more expensive Giant road bike...

Hmm...I just realized: I have a giant compact frame. Is that an oxymoron?
--
Rick Onanian

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 12:26:20 -0500, Rick Onanian <[email protected]>
may have said:

>Hmm...I just realized: I have a giant compact frame. Is that an oxymoron?

Ah, but what *size* of Giant compact frame? Each has its own level and type of oxymoronic nature.

--

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 22:16:18 GMT, Werehatrack
<[email protected]> wrote:
>On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 12:26:20 -0500, Rick Onanian <[email protected]> may have said:
>>Hmm...I just realized: I have a giant compact frame. Is that an oxymoron?
>
>Ah, but what *size* of Giant compact frame? Each has its own level and type of oxymoronic nature.

Good point. I have a medium compact giant that's too small for me.

Really, it's not too small. I could have used a larger size; but it fits me fine now. But it was
funny to add "too small" to the above...
--
Rick Onanian

> Hmm...I just realized: I have a giant compact frame. Is that an oxymoron?
> --
> Rick Onanian

Yep. Sorta like the marijuana initiative.

--
Ted Bennett Portland OR

"Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote

> Personally, I was upset that they ended up with GT. My 1997 GT can now be mistaken for a
> WalMart bike,
<snip>

I have an old school Mongoose that is constantly mistaken for a WalMart bike. Some part of me
doesn't mind that people think it's cheep and worthless (in all fairness, the bike can now be bought
at a yard sale for $20 probably) but not so much for the theft deterrent aspect. When some young
punk (on a $2k bike his mommy bought) laughs and says "did you get that at WalMart?", I do my best
imitation of the Tall Man from the Phantasm movies and say "WalMart didn't even exist when they made
this bike B-O-Y."

Well, at least not around here (c:

However, it's nice to occasionally run across young kids who do know the dif, and say "That's one of
the old ones when Mongoose was *good*, cool man". It's nice to know some in the next gen still carry
the (admittedly defective) bike gene.

C.Q.C.

Status
Not open for further replies.