paging Carla

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Kantspel, Mar 16, 2004.

  1. Kantspel

    Kantspel Guest

    I've been considering getting a RM Slayer and came across a
    post where you recommend against it. What's the story?

    Tags:

  2. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "kantspel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've been considering getting a RM Slayer and came across
    > a post where you recommend against it. What's the story?

    RM's are known for having pivot problems on their FS bikes.
    Jim rode one for a couple of years and after having plenty
    of problems with the pivots and no resolution or help from
    RM, we got rid of the headache bike. I also know of others
    who also had the same problem with their RM's. Their
    hardtails, however, are still good.

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  3. Kantspel

    Kantspel Guest

    Carla A-G wrote:

    > "kantspel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>I've been considering getting a RM Slayer and came across
    >>a post where you recommend against it. What's the story?
    >

    > RM's are known for having pivot problems on their FS
    > bikes. Jim rode one for a couple of years and after having
    > plenty of problems with the pivots and no resolution or
    > help from RM, we got rid of the headache bike. I also know
    > of others who also had the same problem with their RM's.
    > Their hardtails, however, are still good.
    >
    > - CA-G
    >
    > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    Thanks for that. I havn't heard of the pivot problems, what
    kind of issues did he have? I've known a few RM FS owners
    that didn't have any pivot issues, I guess there's a little
    more research to do.

  4. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "kantspel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Carla A-G wrote:
    >
    > > "kantspel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > >>I've been considering getting a RM Slayer and came
    > >>across a post where you recommend against it. What's the
    > >>story?
    > >

    > > RM's are known for having pivot problems on their FS
    > > bikes. Jim rode one
    for
    > > a couple of years and after having plenty of problems
    > > with the pivots
    and no
    > > resolution or help from RM, we got rid of the headache
    > > bike. I also know
    of
    > > others who also had the same problem with their RM's.
    > > Their hardtails, however, are still good.
    > >
    > > - CA-G
    > >
    > > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
    > >

    > Thanks for that. I havn't heard of the pivot problems,
    > what kind of issues did he have? I've known a few RM FS
    > owners that didn't have any pivot issues, I guess there's
    > a little more research to do.

    The bike was the Instinct. The pivots had bushings (stocking
    the bike with cheap bushings!) and not bearings. The pivots
    and bushings had slop and the bike sounded like a squealing
    pig everytime he pedalled or went over a bump. He also had
    problems with the bottom bracket pivot, the bolt kept
    backing out, at one point, the whole rear triangle almost
    broke off when the bolt came loose. We had to leave the bike
    at the LBS to see what he could do about it. If I can
    remember correctly, he wound up contacting RM and getting a
    tool and he reamed out the pivot point. After replacing the
    pivots and attempting to correct the problem with the
    constantly backing out bolt, the bike continued to provide
    the same problems. We contacted RM and spoke to their reps
    on numerous occasions, they weren't too inclined to help
    with correcting the problem or replacing the frame. Someone
    offered to take the bike off our hands so we accepted and
    got rid of it.

    Apparently, they are still stocking many of their FS bikes
    with the cheap bushings. Big mistake, IMO...

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  5. Kantspel

    Kantspel Guest

    > Apparently, they are still stocking many of their FS bikes
    > with the cheap bushings. Big mistake, IMO...

    Wasn't there a thread about that the other day...

    I'm pretty sure the Slayer swings on bearings so that makes
    me feel a little better. I havn't heard the best things
    about their service though, so that worries me a bit,
    especially since the nearest dealer is two hours away.

    Thanks Carla