Paris Roubaix to be shown live on SBS

DaveB said:
Lama was that you on Koonung Trail today?

Yup, 'twas me. I was out for a nice easy spin on the SS in the sunshine. I managed a quick nod as I was ducking and weaving around the slower random moving objects on the path :)

After contacting SBS it seems they were unable to secure the rights to
this years P-R in time.
yeah, there are often problems with these major sporting events that just pop up unexpectedly, not giving broadcasters time to get orgasnised. The other problem is organisers that turn down money when a broadcaster from a "dark territory" rings up and says "can we show your event?". They just don't know what to do.

Has anyone here got a satellite dish that can pick up Eurosport.. I was thinking of getting one put on the house so that I could watch some of the bike races in Europe and maybe the F1 live...

rdk said:
yeah, there are often problems with these major sporting events that just pop up unexpectedly, not giving broadcasters time to get orgasnised. The other problem is organisers that turn down money when a broadcaster from a "dark territory" rings up and says "can we show your event?". They just don't know what to do.

On Apr 10, 8:56 pm, rdk <[email protected]>
wrote:
> [email protected] Wrote:
>
> > After contacting SBS it seems they were unable to secure the rights to
> > this years P-R in time. yeah, there are often problems with these major sporting events that

> just pop up unexpectedly, not giving broadcasters time to get
> orgasnised. The other problem is organisers that turn down money when a
> broadcaster from a "dark territory" rings up and says "can we show your
> event?". They just don't know what to do.
>
> --
> rdk

How is this unexpected? The race was being run 50 years before TV was
invented...

On 10 Apr 2007 20:18:29 -0700, PiledHigher wrote:

> How is this unexpected? The race was being run 50 years before TV was
> invented...

It doesn't make much sense. It sounds like SBS sport managed to get a bit
more of budget with the increase in ad revenue and decide to try and buy
the rights to the PR.

It's ridiculous that anybody would turn down money for a cycling event.
Once coverage exists it is a trival matter to put it on a satellite or
cable these days. Deals for major sporting events have been decided in a
matter of hours when there is enough money involved.

Personally I don't care much for the PR. I don't really get the idea of
trying to ride a mountain bike course on a road bike just to see who can
avoid falling over and breaking their collar bone by chance (or the
manufacturing quality of their . Macadam was invented invented around 1820
and a tar coating added to eliminate dust during the 20th Century -- some
day the French will catch up.

dewatf.

dewatf said:
Personally I don't care much for the PR. I don't really get the idea of
trying to ride a mountain bike course on a road bike just to see who can
avoid falling over and breaking their collar bone by chance (or the
manufacturing quality of their . Macadam was invented invented around 1820
and a tar coating added to eliminate dust during the 20th Century -- some
day the French will catch up.

Eh? Mountain bike? Paris Roubaix is simply riding on the original road surface, so in any case, should the Belgians also catch up and replace their pave? Anyway, cyclo-cross can't possibly be confused with MTB, as the entire redevelopment of clunkers for MTB came decades later. Cyclo-cross or riding on unsealed surfaces on road bikes was also a method for cyclists to retain fitness levels & skills in the off season. Bit similar to developing footy to keep cricket players fit in winter.