poll: best cross country suspension fork

Status
Not open for further replies.
On 27 Jan 2003 18:40:28 -0800, [email protected] (JD) wrote:

>> IMO (notice the missing H) I'd stick with the rigid (Surly or otherwise)
>
>Recommendations for the Lone Wolf should not be those made to an experienced cyclist, or one who
>*thinks* they are experienced.
>
>JD

We're all experienced....some more than others.

Bill(Are you experienced huh, huh?)Wheeler The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than
as a reflector, that is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of
the world.
:-]

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 02:30:15 GMT, "John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Granted I haven't BEEN to Frutia (yet) but MOST of what I've seen looks like it can be ridden
>> with a fully rigid, albeit with slower and more thoughtful riding. It's all about the challenge.
>
>It's time that you review the videos of "Moore Fun." Riding it rigid would be more punishment than
>you or I would probably be willing to face.
>
>-John Morgan

I shall take a look.

Peace, Bill

The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give
an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]

lone wolf wrote:

> ok.... i ride on single track and fireroads mostly.... was thinking maybe of getting a manitou
> axle or a rockshox duke... those are the main 2 forks in my pricerange..........

The Duke is a decent fork at a resonable price. I don't know much about the Manitou. There are
several versions of the Duke: C, XC, SL, Race. If you can afford it try to buy at least the XC
model, as the C does not have external rebound adjustment, which is pretty important.

One think to consider is the bike that you're putting it on. Since it's old, make sure that it has a
1-1/8" steerer. If it does not you'll have to buy a Marzocchi since they are the only company making
1" forks. Also, if you have cantilever brakes (instead of v-brakes) you'll need to buy new brakes
and levers. In the end it might be cheaper to buy a new bike. Also, don't buy a long travel fork for
an old bike, stick with 80mm or less.

JD wrote:
>
[snip]
>
> Since Mr Wolf is a bigger rider, the Marathon would be a little light. Of course he needs to let
> us know what bike he intends on putting his new fork on, as well as what kind of riding he does.
> If he rides smooth singletrack, then a Surly fork would be suffcient, precise and light. If he
> delves into more technical terrain, ten an offering from the Bomberhood will be required due to
> his size, probably a Z2 coil/oil.
>
> JD

Or a Fox Vanilla 125

Phil

"Phil.Winterbourne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| JD wrote:
| >
| [snip]
| >
| > Since Mr Wolf is a bigger rider, the Marathon would be a little light. Of course he needs to let
| > us know what bike he intends on putting his new fork on, as well as what kind of riding he does.
| > If he rides smooth singletrack, then a Surly fork would be suffcient, precise and light. If he
| > delves into more technical terrain, ten an offering from the Bomberhood will be required due to
| > his size, probably a Z2 coil/oil.
| >
| > JD
|
| Or a Fox Vanilla 125

A better, albeit more expensive, choice.

--
Pete Fagerlin

Save Fruita trails! http://www.petefagerlin.com/bookcliffs.htm

"Pete Fagerlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Phil.Winterbourne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> | JD wrote:
> | >
> [snip]
> | >
> | > Since Mr Wolf is a bigger rider, the Marathon would be a little light. Of course he needs to
> | > let us know what bike he intends on putting his new fork on, as well as what kind of riding he
> | > does. If he rides smooth singletrack, then a Surly fork would be suffcient, precise and light.
> | > If he delves into more technical terrain, ten an offering from the Bomberhood will be required
> | > due to his size, probably a Z2 coil/oil.
> | >
> | > JD
> |
> | Or a Fox Vanilla 125
>
> A better, albeit more expensive, choice.

Budget constraints for Mr Wolf do appear to be an issue.

JD livin' in a Shack

In article <[email protected]>, Bill Wheeler wrote:

> Am I to understand that you are saying that you need a suspension fork to ride technical terrain?
>
> I'm just wondering, what are you considering "technical terrain" that is suspension worthy?

Sure, riding technical trails on a rigid bike is POSSIBLE. I've raced technical mountain bike
courses on my Cyclocross bike, proving that you can race on a fully rigid bike with skinny little
tyres. I have a lot more fun in the downhill sections on my VPS, though.

> Sure if you're some freaky, 6-foot-drop-trail-busting-huckster, then go with something that will
> break before your body does.
>
> Granted I haven't BEEN to Frutia (yet) but MOST of what I've seen looks like it can be ridden with
> a fully rigid, albeit with slower and more thoughtful riding. It's all about the challenge.

Sometimes, it's less about the challenge, and more about the adrenaline, or just seeing the forest
without having to worry that you're gonna bust something on a root that you didn't happen to see. :)

JS

--
======================== [email protected] ========================
Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code
header to see my Geek Code
----------------------------------------------------------------
...I am bound upon a wheel of fire, that mine own tears do scald like molten lead. - Lear, King Lear
Act IV, scene vii lines 52-54

Status
Not open for further replies.