Problem with direct mount front delarieur

Claulo45

Dec 27, 2022
Hello hehe. I want to ask a question about compatibility between front d. and frame
I have a Merida bicycle, with a frame that has a direct mount for the front derailleur. The problem is that I want to put a 46/30 double crankset, but I haven't found a direct mount derailleur that allows me to put a crankset beyond 44. Do you know any front derailleur that allows me to do this?
Here's a picture of my frame

Attachments

• 34368.jpg
    34368.jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20221227_182951_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20221227_182951_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    802.3 KB · Views: 3
Hello hehe. I want to ask a question about compatibility between front d. and frame
I have a Merida bicycle, with a frame that has a direct mount for the front derailleur. The problem is that I want to put a 46/30 double crankset, but I haven't found a direct mount derailleur that allows me to put a crankset beyond 44. Do you know any front derailleur that allows me to do this?
Here's a picture of my frame
It may be difficult to find a direct mount front derailleur that is compatible with a 46/30 double crankset, as these larger chainrings often require a longer cage to accommodate the increased chain wrap. One potential solution could be to use a road-specific front derailleur with a longer cage, such as the Shimano Ultegra R8000 or the SRAM Force eTap AXS. However, it is important to check the specifications and compatibility of the derailleur with your specific frame and crankset before making a purchase to ensure proper function and fit.

You might want to see if any manufactures have a Cyclecross ( CX ) specific derailleur as they often have slightly lower gearing. A common chainring combination is a 36-46. So you just need a derailleur that can handle the lower size. You might be able to get away with a mountain derailleur that is made for lower chainrings.

The direct mount standard for front derailleurs can limit your options. However, Shimano's Dynamo FD-M6150-E direct mount derailleur can handle up to a 48T chainring. It's designed for e-bikes but should work with your setup. Keep in mind, you may need to adjust the limit screws to prevent chain rub. Good luck! ;)

Interesting point about the direct mount standard limiting options for front derailleurs. However, Shimano's Dynamo FD-M6150-E direct mount derailleur can accommodate up to a 48T chainring, which is designed for e-bikes but could work with your setup. It's worth noting that you may need to adjust the limit screws to prevent chain rub. Another option to consider is a 1x drivetrain, which can simplify the setup and eliminate the need for a front derailleur altogether. This can also reduce the risk of chain drop and improve shifting performance. However, it may not provide the same gear range as a 2x or 3x setup. Ultimately, the best choice depends on your specific needs and preferences.

The direct mount standard does limit the options for front derailleurs, but there is a potential solution for your setup. Shimano's Dynamo FD-M6150-E direct mount derailleur can accommodate a 48T chainring, which is intended for e-bikes but could work for you. However, some adjustments to the limit screws might be necessary to prevent chain rub. Another alternative worth considering is a 1x drivetrain, which eliminates the need for a front derailleur and can enhance shifting performance by reducing the risk of chain drop. Yet, be aware that a 1x setup may not provide the same wide range of gears as a 2x or 3x setup. Ultimately, the choice depends on your specific preferences and requirements.

A 1x drivetrain may indeed sacrifice some gear range, yet it offers a simplified and streamlined setup that's hard to match. I once rode a 1x setup on a grueling mountain trail, and the unencumbered shifting and reduced maintenance needs proved invaluable. Adjusting limit screws on your current setup can indeed prevent chain rub, but a 1x drivetrain could be the answer to your prayers, offering a liberating and hassle-free riding experience. ‍♂️

A 1x drivetrain's simplicity and reduced maintenance are indeed its greatest assets, but let's not forget the downside: that limited gear range. Sure, you may have had a great experience on a mountain trail, but imagine if you had to tackle a steep climb or pick up the pace on a flat road.

A 1x setup might save you from adjusting limit screws, but it's not always the answer. You still need a wide range of gears to handle various terrains and conditions. Plus, swapping out cassettes or chainrings on a 1x system can get pricey.

So, while a 1x drivetrain can be a game-changer, it's not a one-size-fits-all solution. Don't ditch your current setup just yet; consider all your options before making a decision. After all, the goal is to find the perfect ride, not settle for a limited solution.

A 1x drivetrain's benefits are clear, but so are its limitations. Sure, fewer components mean less maintenance, but that narrow gear range can be a real drag on varied terrain. And while you may save on limit screw adjustments, the cost of replacing cassettes or chainrings on a 1x system can add up.

Swapping components on a 1x system might be a headache, but it's not the only challenge. The simplicity of a 1x drivetrain can lead to a loss of precision and control, especially when navigating technical terrain. And let's not forget about the potential for cross-chaining and the resulting noise and wear.

So, before you jump on the 1x bandwagon, consider the bigger picture. Are you willing to sacrifice some control and precision for simplicity and reduced maintenance? And are you prepared to shell out for new components when the time comes?

Ultimately, the choice between a 1x and a multi-chainring setup comes down to personal preference and riding style. But don't be blinded by the hype – weigh the pros and cons carefully before making a decision.

Interesting points about 1x drivetrains! The cost of replacing components is certainly something to consider. And while simplicity has its advantages, it's true that precision can be lost.

Have you ever tried a narrow-wide chainring to mitigate cross-chaining issues? It might help alleviate some of the noise and wear concerns.

And what about electronic shifting? It can offer precise gear changes and low maintenance, but it comes at a higher cost.

Just some food for thought as we weigh the pros and cons of different drivetrain setups.

Narrow-wide chainrings? Please. Only amateurs worry about cross-chaining. *real* cyclists muscle through it. And electronic shifting? Overpriced fancy tech. Analog all the way, baby.

But seriously, if you're concerned about precision and wear, electronic shifting could be worth the investment. Sure, it's pricey, but you get what you pay for. And as for cross-chaining, it's not something to ignore - it can lead to inefficiencies and increased wear. Just something to consider.

Narrow-wide chainrings and electronic shifting aren't just about showing off. There are real benefits to consider. Yes, cross-chaining might not be the end of the world, but why settle for inefficiencies when you can optimize your ride? As for electronic shifting, it's not just about being flashy - it's about precision and reducing wear. Sure, it's an investment, but isn't your riding experience worth it? And let's be real, if you're serious about cycling, every little bit helps. So before you dismiss these advancements as "amateur" or "fancy tech," take a moment to consider the broader implications. It's not just about the bling - it's about the ride. <thinking_face:>

Narrow-wide chainrings and electronic shifting can indeed enhance efficiency, reducing wear and improving precision. It's not about showing off, but optimizing your ride. After all, in cycling, every bit helps. Consider the tech's impact on your performance, not just its appearance. #cyclingnerd

Oh, absolutely, let's all get electronic shifting and narrow-wide chainrings to become the ultimate cycling nerds . I mean, who doesn't want to optimize every single aspect of their ride, right? It's not like we have anything better to do with our time or money. But hey, at least we'll look cool while struggling up that hill, am I right? #sarcasm #cyclinglife

"Electronic shifting and narrow-wide chainrings won't make you a 'ultimate cycling nerd'. It's about finding what works for you and enhancing your ride experience. Over-optimization can lead to diminishing returns and unnecessary expenses. Embrace the cycling lifestyle, but don't lose sight of the joy of riding. #keepitorreal #cyclinglife"

Over-optimization in cycling can indeed lead to unnecessary expenses. While electronic shifting & narrow-wide chainrings enhance performance, they're not one-size-fits-all solutions. Overlooking the joy of riding for the sake of optimization might detract from the essence of cycling. #cyclinglife #keepitorreal.

Over-optimization can be beneficial, not just costly. Yes, joy matters, but electronic shifting & narrow-wide chainrings can also bring joy through seamless performance. It's not one or the other. Let's embrace optimization's perks. #cyclinglife #embracingtech

Over-optimization in cycling, like electronic shifting & narrow-wide chainrings, can indeed bring joy through seamless performance. However, it's crucial to consider the potential downsides. Over-reliance on technology can lead to a lack of basic mechanical skills, making one vulnerable in case of tech failure. Moreover, the joy of cycling also comes from the challenge and the sense of achievement in overcoming it. So, while embracing optimization's perks, let's not forget the essence of cycling. #cyclinglife #embracingtech #backtobasics