Raleigh redux vs haro beasley

Losgrinn

Feb 16, 2018
Hey,
I have come off a long hiatus from mountain biking due to cost and health issues. I got given a really crappy, small and old bike that was rigid last year and I actually grew to love it. Now I have a bit of money and I want to upgrade to something that actually fits me. Finding a rigid bike in my price range took a long time but I found two bikes I am really interested in. I am out of the loop about bikes and bike parts from not biking for 8 years and I am having a hard time making a decision. Wondering if you guys might have some insights to help me make a decision.

I am not doing any major downhill biking anymore due to too many previous concussions but these days I am doing light trail riding and street riding. I really like both the Haro beasley and the Raleigh redux for the price and style. I would be able to put in another $100 into a bike if it was worth it.

Any help would be awesome, thanks!

(sorry it wont let me post links)

Which redux?
The Raleigh is from the ”urban” series, I’d be concerned about using it for trail riding. Even If you think you’re going ”gently”.
Check the fine print. Many of similar bikes come with a disclaimer ”for casual use only”.
Haven’t used Tektro mechanicals, but I wasn’t impressed with Tektro hydros.
1x drivetrains are all the rage these days. I can just about get away with a 1x9/10 on my commuter, but I don’t want one on my MTB. For my kind of riding and fitness level, 1x8 would not give both the range and ratios that I like.
Haven’t used any Promax brakes.
Both have fairly primitive front dropouts and axles. Make sure you use closed-mechanism quick-releases closed well to avoid wheel ejection from braking.

I'm going to assume he's looking at the entry level models of both.

I think the Haro comes with Shimano Tourney derailleurs and the Raleigh with Shimano Acera, if that is true you want the Raleigh because the derailleurs are two grades better than the Tourney.

If those are not the correct derailleur models please list the model names of both and we can tell which is the better group.

I reckon you're in for a treat with an upgrade! Both rigid bikes you've mentioned are solid choices. Surly LHT is a classic touring bike, great for long distances and comfortable rides. If you're after something lightweight and agile, the Salsa Fargo could be a winner. Just remember, a bike is like a partner; it's not just about the looks, but how it rides and feels for you. Enjoy the journey to finding your perfect fit! :)

Hmm, I see you're venturing back into the world of cycling after a long break! It's great that you found joy in a humble, rigid bike. Now, you're considering an upgrade, and I'm curious - have you thought about the benefits of a suspension system on a mountain bike? And what about the fit of the new bike? Is it crucial for you to find a bike that fits perfectly, or are you open to adjusting your riding style to accommodate the bike? Just some food for thought :)

I appreciate your perspective on considering a suspension system and bike fit for a mountain bike upgrade. However, I'd like to offer a different view.

For some riders, a suspension system might not be necessary, especially if they're sticking to smooth terrains. These systems can add weight and complexity, making the bike harder to maneuver and maintain. A rigid bike can be more straightforward and cost-effective.

As for the bike fit, while it's important, it's not always feasible to find a perfect fit straight away. Adjusting one's riding style to suit the bike can be a valuable skill. It not only broadens the range of bikes one can comfortably ride but also enhances adaptability and resilience in different riding conditions.

In the end, the choice depends on the rider's preferences and riding style. It's essential to weigh the pros and cons before making a decision. :bike: