Re: Why Can't Mountain Bikers EVER Tell the Truth?

Edward Dolan

Guest
"Vincent Stadelmann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2006-04-20 05:40:04 +0200, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> said:
>
>> On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 13:29:56 -0400, "S Curtiss" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> This has been stated many times and in many ways:
>>> Cycling off-road is an excellent physical and mental exercise, allows
>>> the rider to enjoy this exercise without the constraints and dangers of
>>> being in auto traffic, allows the rider to enjoy the natural
>>> environment, and develop an appreciation for the natural environment.

[...]

You can do all of the above and get all those benefits on back country roads
and specially constructed bike trails. You do not ever need to be on
footpaths anywhere in this country since we have roads of all descriptions
going every which way. It may be that you would have to be on a footpath in
a third world nation if there were no roads, but that is the only excuse I
can think of. Even there, it would be politeness to get off your bike and to
walk it so as not to offend everyone in sight.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Edward Dolan wrote:
{MORE SNIPPAGE}

> You can do all of the above and get all those benefits on back
> country roads and specially constructed bike trails. You do not ever
> need to be on footpaths anywhere in this country since we have roads
> of all descriptions going every which way. It may be that you would
> have to be on a footpath in a third world nation if there were no
> roads, but that is the only excuse I can think of. Even there, it
> would be politeness to get off your bike and to walk it so as not to
> offend everyone in sight.

Oh Great One, there's a big difference between "footpaths" and "trails".

HTH, BS

> Edward Dolan wrote:
> {MORE SNIPPAGE}
>
>> You can do all of the above and get all those benefits on back
>> country roads and specially constructed bike trails. You do not ever
>> need to be on footpaths anywhere in this country since we have roads
>> of all descriptions going every which way. It may be that you would
>> have to be on a footpath in a third world nation if there were no
>> roads, but that is the only excuse I can think of. Even there, it
>> would be politeness to get off your bike and to walk it so as not to
>> offend everyone in sight.

> Oh Great One, there's a big difference between "footpaths" and "trails".

Yes, I greatly prefer the humble footpath. Trails too often are like super
highways, what with many hikers, horses and bikers all vying for its' use.
Frankly, I do not like trails which are over-constructed. Every step chosen
should be an adventure - something you only get on a very primitive
footpath. Nonetheless, all trails start out as footpaths and only become
trails after some agency takes them over and strives to "improve" them for
the masses.

The main problem I have had with my humble footpaths is that you can lose
your way on them. Believe you me, it is no fun to be lost in the woods. The
first thing I do when I think I am lost is to check my food and water. It is
really strange how all the beauty in the world rapidly disappears when a
crisis strikes. And where do all the people go when you really need them.

The most important thing about walking a footpath is NOT to have a
destination. Every inch needs to be as interesting as every other inch. If
it is not, then go home and forget about it. TV-land will suit you better.