Re: Why do the pros use tubular tire when clinchers are faster?

Pete Biggs

> Veloflex claims to make clinchers by hand. I don't know if that is
> relevant for how well they work.

Same with Vittoria.

~PB

On Thu, 12 May 2005 05:53:26 +0100, "Pete Biggs"
<pwrinkledgrape{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> Veloflex claims to make clinchers by hand. I don't know if that is
>> relevant for how well they work.

>Same with Vittoria.
>
>~PB

Dear Pete,

There may be some of those Vittoria tires left (or perhaps
the link below is mistaken), but Vittoria may not be making
tires by hand any more:

"Veloflex Pave Clincher Tire
700c x 22mm Folding
Weight - 180g
Hand-made 22mm clincher tires. Produced in Italy by former
Vittoria staff before Vittoria moved their production to
Taiwan."

http://www.totalcycling.com/Templates/frmTemplateX.asp?SubFolderID=37&SearchYN=N

On the other hand, the bottom of the same page seems to list
hand-made Vredstein clinchers:

"Vredstein Fortezza Tricomp Clincher Tire 700c x 23mm
Folding Weight - 250g
The fortezza tires have the thickest central tread layer
compound of any of our high end clinchers. As such they are
slightly heavier but wear well.
Light weight handmade 700c 23mm clincher tires."

I have no idea why anyone would bother to hand-craft 700x23
145 psi clinchers with the "thickest central tread layer,"
admit that they're "slightly heavier," and then claim that
they're "light weight" at 250 grams.

(Possibly these Vredsteins are actually tubulars, but
confusingly labeled "road clincher tires + tubes"? Or maybe
the 250 gram weight includes a tube otherwise unmentioned?)

After all, the first tire on my Performance catalogue list
is a factory-made clincher, the Forte Pro SL, a folding
kevlar-bead, kevlar belt, 155 psi, 190 gram 700x23.

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:

>>> Veloflex claims to make clinchers by hand. I don't know if that is
>>> relevant for how well they work.

>> Same with Vittoria.

> There may be some of those Vittoria tires left (or perhaps
> the link below is mistaken), but Vittoria may not be making
> tires by hand any more:

in Italy.......

> "Veloflex Pave Clincher Tire
> 700c x 22mm Folding
> Weight - 180g
> Hand-made 22mm clincher tires. Produced in Italy by former
> Vittoria staff before Vittoria moved their production to
> Taiwan."

Dear Carl, According to the box, the latest Vittoria Open Corsa EVOs
are *handmade* in *Thailand*.

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:

>>> Same with Vittoria.

>> There may be some of those Vittoria tires left (or perhaps
>> the link below is mistaken), but Vittoria may not be making
>> tires by hand any more:

> in Italy.......
>
>> "Veloflex Pave Clincher Tire
>> 700c x 22mm Folding
>> Weight - 180g
>> Hand-made 22mm clincher tires. Produced in Italy by former
>> Vittoria staff before Vittoria moved their production to
>> Taiwan."

> Dear Carl, According to the box, the latest Vittoria Open Corsa
> EVOs are *handmade* in *Thailand*.

Are the Thai inherently less skilled?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

On Thu, 12 May 2005 23:14:29 -0400, "Phil,
Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Pete Biggs wrote:

>>> There may be some of those Vittoria tires left (or perhaps
>>> the link below is mistaken), but Vittoria may not be making
>>> tires by hand any more:

>> in Italy.......
>>
>>> "Veloflex Pave Clincher Tire
>>> 700c x 22mm Folding
>>> Weight - 180g
>>> Hand-made 22mm clincher tires. Produced in Italy by former
>>> Vittoria staff before Vittoria moved their production to
>>> Taiwan."

>> Dear Carl, According to the box, the latest Vittoria Open Corsa
>> EVOs are *handmade* in *Thailand*.

>Are the Thai inherently less skilled?

Dear Phil,

When they're making tires, it's probably a tie.

Both nationalities are notorious for their typos.

(This post works best when read aloud slowly.)

Carl Fogel