Re: Why do the pros use tubular tire when clinchers are faster?

[email protected] wrote:
> When plugging in value in the following web page a high quality

clincher is
> always faster than a tubular, unleas the tubular is mounted using

track
> glue. Any gains made from weight savings by using a tubular wheel and

tire
> is more than offset by the clincher's superior rolling resistance!

What you are referring to is based on twenty year old testing. If you
look up the recent research on tubular glues, you will find that the
bond strength of the best contemporary glues is much better than that
used at the time of those tests. Bottomline: there is no published data
that would allow someone to state categorically that optimally-mounted
tubulars with contemporary road glues have higher rolling resistance
than comparable clinchers.

> Since the Pro teams are not dumb they must know something that is not

taken
> into account by pure rolling resistance vs. weight.

What they probably know is that the overall package offered by tubulars
is superior.

> Would they use an inferior product just for sponsor money?

Some would, but Armstrong emphatically does not. There have been
articles about the demands he places on his sponsors to produce
equipment that is the absolute very best and provides him with a
proven, tested competitive advantage. There may not be another
professional in the world who could make the demands of his sponsors
that he does, and you can be sure that when he rides handmade
Hutchinson silk tubulars he does it because he has evidence that it
will help him win. (Note that Hutchinson itself has largely abandoned
the commercial tubular market.)

Furthermore, Mr. Fogel himself in arguing the other side of this issue
came up with the example of Tyler Hamilton choosing tubulars for a time
trial because of their lower rolling resistance!

As to the claim that road glue provides a layer of material that
squirms, this could certainly be true, but it is a mistake to treat
this as a black or white issue when there are at least a couple of
variables at work: the thickness of the glue (If the glue does squirm,
you should be able to understand that it could squirm more when there
is more glue than necessary.); The stiffness of the glue (Imagine,
instead of "track" and "road" glue, a range of glues with varying
stiffness after proper setting.)

So, even though there are other advantages for pros using tubulars as
others have mentioned here, I think you would be making a mistake to
assume that pros are giving away an advantage in rolling resistance by
using tubulars. I think that at least the very top teams have almost
certainly collected test data, and I think that they would not give a
10 watt advantage to teams using clinchers that is in effect for
basically every second of racing, for advantages that they might get in
avoiding and dealing with punctures, which are not usually decisive for
the contenders in a race like the TdF. Punctures are dealt with by the
team support very quickly and the important team members are towed back
to the peloton by their teammates. In fact, generally, out of courtesy,
a gc contender will not be attacked by opponents when they are off with
a flat.

Also, if there are situations where the weight advantage of tubulars is
a factor, tubulars would be used, but they would revert to clinchers
for situations where they supposedly provide an advantage in rolling
resistance. That doesn't seem to be happening.

Maybe tubulars really do have higher rolling resistance but I don't
think there is anything to substantiate that theory except for the
indirect evidence from a single obsolete study, and the rest of the
evidence seems to me to be to the contrary. I think the pros' practices
imply that there is a body of test data to which we don't have access
that contradicts the earlier study.

[email protected] wrote:

[snip]

> Furthermore, Mr. Fogel himself in arguing the other side of this

issue
> came up with the example of Tyler Hamilton choosing tubulars for a

time
> trial because of their lower rolling resistance!

[snip]

Dear Wreck,

Sorry, but that's misleading nonsense.

I pointed out that Hamilton chose narrower tubulars over wider tubulars
in hopes of improving rolling resistance and reducing wind drag--and
collected five impact flats for his mistake.

The choice concerned the narrowness of the tubular, not tubulars versus
clinchers.

If Hamilton had chosen clinchers, presumably he would have suffered
even more impact flats.

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Furthermore, Mr. Fogel himself in arguing the other side of this

> issue
> > came up with the example of Tyler Hamilton choosing tubulars for a

> time
> > trial because of their lower rolling resistance!

> [snip]
>
> Dear Wreck,
>
> Sorry, but that's misleading nonsense.
>
> I pointed out that Hamilton chose narrower tubulars over wider

tubulars
> in hopes of improving rolling resistance and reducing wind drag--and
> collected five impact flats for his mistake.
>
> The choice concerned the narrowness of the tubular, not tubulars

versus
> clinchers.
>
> If Hamilton had chosen clinchers, presumably he would have suffered
> even more impact flats.

Now THAT'S misleading nonsense. There's nothing in the article that
suggests that the five punctures Phonak had were impact flats; in fact,
based on how difficult it is to create an impact flat with tubulars,
they were almost certainly normal punctures, not impact flats. Your
referenced article calls them punctures, not impact flats or pinch
flats. Nope, you're making stuff up.

And what you are ignoring is that if Phonak was choosing tires for
rolling resistance, and clinchers have lower rolling resistance it
would have made more sense to use clinchers. Since Phonak certainly
would have used very high pressures regardless, these mythical "impact
flats" would have been unlikely to occur on clinchers or tubulars. So
it really comes down to whether the wind drag saved would make up for
the supposed rolling resistance added when compared to clinchers (since
we already know that in time trial equipment weight is sacrificed for
lower wind resistance) but then, why didn't they just say they chose
them for lower wind resistance, instead of lower wind AND rolling
resistance? I mean, why did they choose skinny tubulars for less
rolling resistance but tubulars over clinchers for more?

My hunch is that the best Conti time trialing tubulars have less
rolling resistance than their best racing clinchers, Conti has tested
them, and that's why Phonak was using tubulars.

[email protected] wrote:
> What you are referring to is based on twenty year old testing. If you
> look up the recent research on tubular glues, you will find that the
> bond strength of the best contemporary glues is much better than that
> used at the time of those tests. Bottomline: there is no published

data
> that would allow someone to state categorically that

optimally-mounted
> tubulars with contemporary road glues have higher rolling resistance
> than comparable clinchers.

not quite as scientific as Jobst, but recent updates.
http://www.recumbent-bikes-truth-for-you.com/newsletter-october-2003.html
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum....031;page=3;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum....view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

On 12 May 2005 12:06:26 -0700,
[email protected] wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> > Furthermore, Mr. Fogel himself in arguing the other side of this

>> issue
>> > came up with the example of Tyler Hamilton choosing tubulars for a

>> time
>> > trial because of their lower rolling resistance!

>> [snip]
>>
>> Dear Wreck,
>>
>> Sorry, but that's misleading nonsense.
>>
>> I pointed out that Hamilton chose narrower tubulars over wider

>tubulars
>> in hopes of improving rolling resistance and reducing wind drag--and
>> collected five impact flats for his mistake.
>>
>> The choice concerned the narrowness of the tubular, not tubulars

>versus
>> clinchers.
>>
>> If Hamilton had chosen clinchers, presumably he would have suffered
>> even more impact flats.

>Now THAT'S misleading nonsense. There's nothing in the article that
>suggests that the five punctures Phonak had were impact flats; in fact,
>based on how difficult it is to create an impact flat with tubulars,
>they were almost certainly normal punctures, not impact flats. Your
>referenced article calls them punctures, not impact flats or pinch
>flats. Nope, you're making stuff up.

[snip]

Dear Wreck,

You're right--I assumed impact flats, but the article
doesn't say that.

The only comment that I can find doesn't support impact
flats, either:

As Lance puts it, "In the Team Time Trial they would have
been close even with 3 or 4 flat tires, the only thing I go
to there is: it was a terrible day, terrible weather – why
do you put on the 19mm tires? You don’t do that. We rode
with the biggest, heaviest nastiest tires we have. Because
you know on days like that you get flats."

http://www.eugenewei.com/mtweblog/archives/002272.html

Wet tires encourage cuts and impalements.

But it would be awfully strange if the one team with the
narrower tires somehow managed sweep up more sharp objects
than all the other teams using wide tires on the same
course.

Yes, it's difficult for normal riders to impact flat a
tubular.

But pros in a Team Time Trial, going as fast as possible, on
19 mm tubulars, on a rough course, are another matter.

Still, they might have been five goatheads.

Armstrong, on the other hand, was clearly not concerned
about rolling resistance--and his team didn't flat and won
the stage.

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > What you are referring to is based on twenty year old testing. If

you
> > look up the recent research on tubular glues, you will find that

the
> > bond strength of the best contemporary glues is much better than

that
> > used at the time of those tests. Bottomline: there is no published

> data
> > that would allow someone to state categorically that

> optimally-mounted
> > tubulars with contemporary road glues have higher rolling

resistance
> > than comparable clinchers.

> not quite as scientific as Jobst, but recent updates.

http://www.recumbent-bikes-truth-for-you.com/newsletter-october-2003.html

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum....031;page=3;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum....view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

There's some interesting stuff there and, as I expected, no black and
white answers. Interesting note, if anyone caught it, was that guy with
the HPV tests finding that the Conti Tempo tubulars he tested had the
lowest rolling resistance. The Conti "Tempo" was the same tire used by
the Phonak team in Fogel's reference. Also interesting, his (the HPV
guy) seat of the pants conclusion that supple sidewalls and high
threadcounts correlated with low rolling resistance. Conti advertises
another one of their high end tubulars as having "supple sidewalls" and
"very low rolling resistance"; seems to dovetail with LA's
specification of silk tubulars. The guys in those references also seem
to have latched onto what I've been saying about Vittoria Mastik.
There's no doubt, though, that some clinchers are better than some
tubulars (and vice versa).

The only other thing that I'm certain of is that Tufo is going to have
to address the issue of rolling resistance in their tires if they want
to stay in business.