Recommendations for MTN Bike Pump needed

K

kokopuffs

Recommendations needed. I have Continental Traffic tires which inflate to 65 lbs.. Which portable pump is recommended? Topeak Road Morph, Blackburn AS1 Airstistick?? TIA

Originally posted by kokopuffs
Recommendations needed. I have Continental Traffic tires which inflate to 65 lbs.. Which portable pump is recommended? Topeak Road Morph, Blackburn AS1 Airstistick?? TIA

nix the ROAD Morph.

any of the others you mentioned are functional. I carry a co2 and a manual pump just for backup.

Why nix the Road Morph? What about Crank Bros. Mini Pump?

Why nix the Road Morph? What about Crank Bros. Mini Pump?

because it's a road pump. it takes much more air to fill a mountain bike tire. My husband had the mountain morph - it works.

I don't know about Crank Bros. I know their pedals are rated well but their tools are not. **** shoot with the pump, I guess.

Base on reviews that I've read, the BLACKBURN MAMMOTH DUAL STAGE MDS-1 is the one to get.

I use the Topeak mountain morph and reckon it's the best pump I've ever had. It's fantastically well made, and easily dismantles if there's a problem, or if you want to clean it...
The best thing is that it has a short hose to the valve, which means you don't risk damaging the valve, or pulling ot off by accident. It also operates like a small track pump, with a small fold out foot, which really takes the stress out of pumping.
Only possible downside is if you want to mount it on the bike, it's not terrible but the pump is a bit large for a mini one. Personally I carry it in a bag so it's not a problem.

Well, based on the reviews that are posted at Mountain Bike Review, the two final choices are (drum roll, please ;P):

1. BLACKBURN MAMMOTH DUAL STAGE MDS-1

2. TOPEAK MTN. MORPH.

Thanks, all!

Now whats the difference between Mountain Bike Pumps and Road Bike pumps? I went to my local bike shop, and the guy only had Road Bike pumps that were water bottle holder mounted.

Road bike pumps usually have a larger cylinder. They're bigger than MTB pumps since road bike tires require higher pressures.

Road bike pumps usually have a larger cylinder. They're bigger than MTB pumps since road bike tires require higher pressures.

cool. thanks.